Metal Storm logo
Best Extreme Power metal band from Finland

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 01.11.2007 - 18:10
wich band do you prefer , this bands have a lot of similar stuff all started by the great Children of Bodom
but what its your favorite and why

Children Of Bodom gets my vote because they started this extreme power style and the riffs and the solos are very original plus the awesome keyboard technique

Poll

wich band do you think is the best

Children Of Bodom
Wintersun
Ensiferum
Kalmah
Eternal Tears Of Sorrow
Moonsorrow
Norther
Mors Principium Est
Skyfire

Total votes: 262
19.04.2008 - 20:54
Shadowcross
The Summoner
I voted CoB.. Kalmah 2nd
i think its strange to call any of them 'power' in any definition.
Death metal with the Finnish melodic style maybe... errr finndeath

I really like Mors Principium Est's "Liberation Termination" from last year 2007.
Doesn't seem to be well rated on here!! I found it so blistering and original but it is more like gothenburg i thought
29.05.2008 - 18:29
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i voted for wintersun. i like alot of the bands on that list but wintersuns songs are just amazing.
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
30.05.2008 - 00:04
Gordon Freeman
Written by Shadowcross on 19.04.2008 at 20:54

I voted CoB.. Kalmah 2nd

I really like Mors Principium Est's "Liberation Termination" from last year 2007.
Doesn't seem to be well rated on here!! I found it so blistering and original but it is more like gothenburg i thought

You're obviously paying too much attention to the screaming vocals. The music is almost note for note like any other speedy power metal band you've ever heard. (Except Moonsorrow...I don't know why they're up there.)
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
30.05.2008 - 10:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Gordon Freeman on 30.05.2008 at 00:04

I voted CoB.. Kalmah 2nd

You're obviously paying too much attention to the screaming vocals. The music is almost note for note like any other speedy power metal band you've ever heard. (Except Moonsorrow...I don't know why they're up there.)

Peeople alweays pay attantion to vocals and girls to vocalist
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.05.2008 - 12:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Definitely Kalmah. They haven't released a bad album, and they very consistent. Moreover, you don't get bored listening to them, as opposed to COB or Wintersun. COB have gone bad long ago, and Wintersun is just so overrated, and they have released only one album, which is not creative at all. ETOS is another great band on the list that deserve to be there,
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
30.05.2008 - 15:43
Abattoir
Staff
Why are Skyfire in this voting poll ? They are Swedish band, and they are not similar to the other above updated bands either...
30.05.2008 - 18:10
Gordon Freeman
Written by Abattoir on 30.05.2008 at 15:43

Why are Skyfire in this voting poll ? They are Swedish band, and they are not similar to the other above updated bands either...

I don't think the thread creator did his research.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

30.05.2008 - 18:16
Gordon Freeman
Written by K✞ulu on 30.05.2008 at 12:39

Definitely Kalmah. They haven't released a bad album, and they very consistent. Moreover, you don't get bored listening to them, as opposed to COB or Wintersun. COB have gone bad long ago, and Wintersun is just so overrated, and they have released only one album, which is not creative at all. ETOS is another great band on the list that deserve to be there,

I don't mean to be a nazi here but you should have said "Moreover, I don't get bored listening to them"

The way you said it seems to assume that the rest of us must get bored with these bands...which is not a correct assumption for the most part.
----

30.05.2008 - 22:26
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Gordon Freeman on 30.05.2008 at 18:16

Written by K✞ulu on 30.05.2008 at 12:39

I don't mean to be a nazi here but you should have said "Moreover, I don't get bored listening to them"

The way you said it seems to assume that the rest of us must get bored with these bands...which is not a correct assumption for the most part.

Yeah, that's what I meant.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.05.2008 - 13:42
Shadowcross
The Summoner

I voted CoB.. Kalmah 2nd

To K7 too...

Not so much the vocals... and thats a huge difference in itself. Inward growling/screaming to professionally trained controlled vocals.

The standard power drumbeat and fills are unlike any of these bands. It is used very occasionally in some of their songs but the same can be said about straight death or symphonic metal. The beat im talking about is usually close to consistent in every mid to fast past non-ballad song - Helloween, Dark Moor, Stratovarius, Sonata, X Japan etc. You name it. Very few power metal bands use blast beats and the ones that do are the faster more extreme style like Dragonforce.
The solos for guitar for power are usually completely different sounding because they don't downtune and definitely have a different aesthetic. All these bands have a solo style that seems unique to Finnish metal.. but you won't find it in standard power metal from Finland. However, Timo from Stratovarius has in the past claimed CoB ripped off his duelling keys/guitar style and Alexi later admitted to this. He said power hadn't influenced his music other than this.
The keyboard solos are the same thing, usually a lot less black notes and often just easier white notes. Like bodom but since he has got better hes added more black notes.
Very similar key signatures and not many changes like power metal, save occasional naturals and misnotes.
Lastly the lyrics... which kind of ties in with the vocals. Which is often a way music is defined: i.e. doom, black, emo. Power often has positive themes, carrying an upbeat mood or often involving hope, the environment, battles, medieval, religious or fantasy themes. The above bands and bands like them have lyrics that most often concern death (killing, cutting yourself, suicide, hopelessness, razors) substance use, uprising, viking or pagan beliefs.
And these bands aren't very similar to speed metal either.

I just don't see how you can use 'power metal' at all to describe this music at all, but that's what people have called it.

So unlike any speedy or power metal band i have ever heard, sorry. Maybe that Turiasas band is the only half-close example i could think of.
02.06.2008 - 17:38
Nego
Account deleted
Wintersun no doubt
02.06.2008 - 19:28
Gordon Freeman
Written by Shadowcross on 31.05.2008 at 13:42

I voted CoB.. Kalmah 2nd

To K7 too...

Not so much the vocals... and thats a huge difference in itself. Inward growling/screaming to professionally trained controlled vocals.

The standard power drumbeat and fills are unlike any of these bands. It is used very occasionally in some of their songs but the same can be said about straight death or symphonic metal. The beat im talking about is usually close to consistent in every mid to fast past non-ballad song - Helloween, Dark Moor, Stratovarius, Sonata, X Japan etc. You name it. Very few power metal bands use blast beats and the ones that do are the faster more extreme style like Dragonforce.
The solos for guitar for power are usually completely different sounding because they don't downtune and definitely have a different aesthetic. All these bands have a solo style that seems unique to Finnish metal.. but you won't find it in standard power metal from Finland. However, Timo from Stratovarius has in the past claimed CoB ripped off his duelling keys/guitar style and Alexi later admitted to this. He said power hadn't influenced his music other than this.
The keyboard solos are the same thing, usually a lot less black notes and often just easier white notes. Like bodom but since he has got better hes added more black notes.
Very similar key signatures and not many changes like power metal, save occasional naturals and misnotes.
Lastly the lyrics... which kind of ties in with the vocals. Which is often a way music is defined: i.e. doom, black, emo. Power often has positive themes, carrying an upbeat mood or often involving hope, the environment, battles, medieval, religious or fantasy themes. The above bands and bands like them have lyrics that most often concern death (killing, cutting yourself, suicide, hopelessness, razors) substance use, uprising, viking or pagan beliefs.

I just don't see how you can use 'power metal' at all to describe this music at all, but that's what people have called it.

So unlike any speedy or power metal band i have ever heard, sorry. Maybe that Turiasas band is the only half-close example i could think of.

Very well put, but irrelivent. True they don't really sound like "standard power metal" but you yourself named power metal bands (i.e. Dragonforce) that have more a more extreme sound and yet you still consider them power metal. How are these Finnish bands any different (apart from the shrieking vocals)

On another note, if you are going to make the arguement that they use too many un-poweresque parts to their music to be considered power metal, I'll have to ask you to explain to me what their simillarity is to death metal.

Oh and I don't care what Alexi Laiho says about what genre he should be classified in. Musicians really aren't that great at catagorizing themselves because they don't wish to lumped in with other bands but instead want to be seen as ground-breaking and original.
----

02.06.2008 - 21:48
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Had to vote for Ensiferum. I like CoB, I've had contact with almost all the bands listed here (I have some of their songs, that is, more or less), but Ensiferum just comes out on top for me, great melodies and the occasional rawness...
----
03.06.2008 - 09:25
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Gordon Freeman on 02.06.2008 at 19:28

Written by Shadowcross on 31.05.2008 at 13:42

I voted CoB.. Kalmah 2nd

To K7 too...

Very well put, but irrelivent. True they don't really sound like "standard power metal" but you yourself named power metal bands (i.e. Dragonforce) that have more a more extreme sound and yet you still consider them power metal. How are these Finnish bands any different (apart from the shrieking vocals)

On another note, if you are going to make the arguement that they use too many un-poweresque parts to their music to be considered power metal, I'll have to ask you to explain to me what their simillarity is to death metal.

Oh and I don't care what Alexi Laiho says about what genre he should be classified in. Musicians really aren't that great at catagorizing themselves because they don't wish to lumped in with other bands but instead want to be seen as ground-breaking and original.

Thanks, and yeah i will try to clarify. I do think genre debates are pretty silly but seeing as we started one and it is interesting ...
And this is purely hypothetical and actually despite how right I think it is, it is irrelevant as u say as this genre name is set in stone.

I wouldn't consider Dragonforce a very typical power band at all and I almost felt stupid mentioning them. While they are still professional musicians (particularly their synth player!) they have diff solos and key style which is almost faux and for shock value when really it isnt that hard. The use of fret noise dresses it up to sound really technical but the most only relies on quite slow bass note changes in almost every song backed by fast drums. When I was introduced to them before their 2nd last album came out I read a few times that they were 'extreme power metal'. You make a good point, maybe if you take DF's model and add some inward growling and keep the blasting then you would have something pretty similar to say Kalmah or WS. But i'm just thinking in my head of what Fury of the Storm or Through The Fire And Flames would sound like with those vocals mapped over the top, and it sounds pretty terrible to me haha. In fact thinking of any stock standard power 'classic' and putting those vocals over wouldn't work. Maybe not aggressive enough?

As far as death metal / PM difference goes I think I mentioned the aesthetics, themes, modes (key sigs), tuning and overall sound.
I notice a lot more influence of Death, mid to late Carcass, Testament thrash, maybe a bit of earlier In Flames and just in general the Stockholm sound in these bands music, mixed with that Finnish folk sound u get in many bands such as Amorphis (Which is death metal even when they do rock music, somehow)
While there are plenty of neo-classical elements that are shared with power metal they are done in a viking sounding way.. just using arpeggios or sweeps then following upwards or downwards with the keys. A similar thing to what death metal started to do with two guitars but with no key sig changes in between, just slide up a few semitones. The closest example to power metal I can think of offhand might be the Stratovarius/CoB similarity I mentioned. But even try Strato's 'Speed of Light' or 'Black Diamond' compared to CoB's 'Bodom After Midnight' or 'Blooddrunk' and theres a massive difference. I however do think there is a similarity to the school of sound that u hear on Nightwish's and Son Arc's earlier albums when the keys play with the guitar or open a song and they also came about around the same time as CoB's earliest. Other power metal bands not from Finland seem not to have shared this sound.
Keys are unique to this kind of (what im calling) death metal but that shouldn't mean its automatically power or progressive.

The lyrics speak for themselves (pardon the pun) compared to power metal
Power metal tends to take more influence from bands who wrote ballads like Rainbow, Dio, Scorpions... There is a completely different mentality.
I like both genres, don't get me wrong. Power a little more maybe.

So then what exactly constitutes melodic death metal then? I'm curious. All i can think of is soilwork.

Yeah good point.. and i think fans and other musicians aren't much better at defining genres of music. Lol it is hard and there is so much influence taken from older genres. Either way i find it really interesting..
03.06.2008 - 12:36
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Definitely and without any doubts my vote goes to Kalmah. I find their music more interesting and different than others bands listed here.

But I will place Mors Principium Est on 2nd place, they are good and I find them really underrated ...in comparison to other overrated bands listed in this poll.
03.06.2008 - 18:19
Gordon Freeman
Written by Shadowcross on 03.06.2008 at 09:25

Thanks, and yeah i will try to clarify. I do think genre debates are pretty silly but seeing as we started one and it is interesting ...
And this is purely hypothetical and actually despite how right I think it is, it is irrelevant as u say as this genre name is set in stone.

I wouldn't consider Dragonforce a very typical power band at all and I almost felt stupid mentioning them. While they are still professional musicians (particularly their synth player!) they have diff solos and key style which is almost faux and for shock value when really it isnt that hard. The use of fret noise dresses it up to sound really technical but the most only relies on quite slow bass note changes in almost every song backed by fast drums. When I was introduced to them before their 2nd last album came out I read a few times that they were 'extreme power metal'. You make a good point, maybe if you take DF's model and add some inward growling and keep the blasting then you would have something pretty similar to say Kalmah or WS. But i'm just thinking in my head of what Fury of the Storm or Through The Fire And Flames would sound like with those vocals mapped over the top, and it sounds pretty terrible to me haha. In fact thinking of any stock standard power 'classic' and putting those vocals over wouldn't work. Maybe not aggressive enough?

As far as death metal / PM difference goes I think I mentioned the aesthetics, themes, modes (key sigs), tuning and overall sound.
I notice a lot more influence of Death, mid to late Carcass, Testament thrash, maybe a bit of earlier In Flames and just in general the Stockholm sound in these bands music, mixed with that Finnish folk sound u get in many bands such as Amorphis (Which is death metal even when they do rock music, somehow)
While there are plenty of neo-classical elements that are shared with power metal they are done in a viking sounding way.. just using arpeggios or sweeps then following upwards or downwards with the keys. A similar thing to what death metal started to do with two guitars but with no key sig changes in between, just slide up a few semitones. The closest example to power metal I can think of offhand might be the Stratovarius/CoB similarity I mentioned. But even try Strato's 'Speed of Light' or 'Black Diamond' compared to CoB's 'Bodom After Midnight' or 'Blooddrunk' and theres a massive difference. I however do think there is a similarity to the school of sound that u hear on Nightwish's and Son Arc's earlier albums when the keys play with the guitar or open a song and they also came about around the same time as CoB's earliest. Other power metal bands not from Finland seem not to have shared this sound.
Keys are unique to this kind of (what im calling) death metal but that shouldn't mean its automatically power or progressive.

Power metal tends to take more influence from bands who wrote ballads like Rainbow, Dio, Scorpions... There is a completely different mentality.

So then what exactly constitutes melodic death metal then? I'm curious. All i can think of is soilwork.

Yeah good point.. and i think fans and other musicians aren't much better at defining genres of music. Lol it is hard and there is so much influence taken from older genres. Either way i find it really interesting..

You make some good points, but I still hear more PM influence in most of the above bands than DM, and I'm thinking the more straight forward traditional death metal bands like Cryptopsy or Bolt Thrower.

Also your arguement about lyrics falls kind of flat when you consider that lyrics have little to nothing to do with genre. Sure, traditional power metal bands have a certain 'epic' theme that most of them conform to however, it's only a broad generalization. You can sing about anything you want as long as you play a certain musical style. Example, you could be in a black metal band that sings about pirates (not a typical black metal theme) as long as you still play black metal music.
----

03.06.2008 - 18:27
Varegan
Hamranakara
I love Eternal Tears Of Sorrow, its the only fiinish power band i listen to
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
04.06.2008 - 08:24
Shadowcross
The Summoner
Written by Gordon Freeman on 03.06.2008 at 18:19

Written by Shadowcross on 03.06.2008 at 09:25

I wouldn't consider Dragonforce a very typical power band at all and I almost felt stupid mentioning them. While they are still professional musicians
(particularly their synth player!) they have diff solos and key style which is almost faux and for shock value when really it isnt that hard. The use of fret noise dresses it up to sound really technical but the most only relies on quite slow bass note changes in almost every song backed by fast drums. When I was introduced to them before their 2nd last album came out I read a few times that they were 'extreme power metal'. You make a good point, maybe if you take DF's model and add some inward growling and keep the blasting then you would have something pretty similar to say Kalmah or WS. But i'm just thinking in my head of what Fury of the Storm or Through The Fire And Flames would sound like with those vocals mapped over the top, and it sounds pretty terrible to me haha. In fact thinking of any stock standard power 'classic' and putting those vocals over wouldn't work. Maybe not aggressive enough?

You make some good points, but I still hear more PM influence in most of the above bands than DM, and I'm thinking the more straight forward traditional death metal bands like Cryptopsy or Bolt Thrower.

Also your arguement about lyrics falls kind of flat when you consider that lyrics have little to nothing to do with genre. Sure, traditional power metal bands have a certain 'epic' theme that most of them conform to however, it's only a broad generalization. You can sing about anything you want as long as you play a certain musical style. Example, you could be in a black metal band that sings about pirates (not a typical black metal theme) as long as you still play black metal music.

Death and Carcass are more traditional then Cryptopsy dude.. and thats closer to grindcore anyway which is more of an american movement. On a lighter note i heard a new cryptopsy song recently and theyve switched to metalcore i laughed

Maybe its a broad generalisation, but you take prob 90% of the power bands and certainly the ones that have made the best releases and you will find those themes i speak of.
Death metal id go ahead to say the same thing about the themes i mentioned.
Using your example of pirates, for instance doom always carries a mood through the lyrics.. you will never find a doom band singing about pirates. that lyrical style typifies doom whether they growl or not you get the message of despair, depression etc. Unless they were really bleak depressed pirates that just want to die.
For black metal maybe you could pass some pirate lyrics in, sure, but they only if they are almost inaudible and dont contribute to the mood of the music.. try telling anyone who really likes black metal that say, clear Christian lyrics can pass in a black metal band. In fact in common definition most metal automatically becomes Christian metal or White metal just due to the lyrics. Take Extol for example despite being almost completely blackened death in sound and even from Norway (which isnt the biggest qualifier) you wouldnt have many black metal people who would support even their early stuff as a black metal band because they sing about Jesus and Christianity all the time. Whereas doom band Worship are Christian but their lyrics mix this with traditional Sabbath doom, despair, hopelessness, so thats doom...
Now you look to some bands that do a (space) pirate theme like Arcturus and they are completely out of the normal sphere of black metal. A close band to the earlier stuff might be Limbonic Art. Arcturus are closer to avant-garde metal especially on the later releases.
One last band on the pirate thing: Alestorm from Scotland is by default a power metal band. They used typified power metal with epic key parts, solos and fast typical power metal drumming. They create a feel similar to Dragonforce. The lyrics about pirates and them being pirates they get away with because in essence they are in the genre of power and you can write about cheesy shit like that, tales of old etc.. Powerful lyrics about quests. And positivity rings clear throughout.

So the subject matter really does matter. I mean thats where these genre names come from...
Hence my 'pointless' argument that this shouldn't be called 'Extreme Power' metal but maybe should be called Finndeath or something like that. Maybe even Bodom metal as even the originator of this thread declares them to have started it.
04.06.2008 - 09:04
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Man, I can't wait till Goatrider posts something in return, and then ShadowCross again. I'm really enjoying this argument. , but i belongs to a different thread.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.06.2008 - 08:14
Bitch Boy
I thought I voted something similare somewhere else

Anyway... my vote is for ETOS, I love the combination of "extreme" elements with symphonic passages.
08.06.2008 - 10:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
By the way, downloaded all of Mors Principium Est and listened to it. Man, so boring, generic and monotonous. Nothing special at all. Now I do get why they are so "underrated" at this poll.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

09.06.2008 - 09:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by K✞ulu on 08.06.2008 at 10:03

By the way, downloaded all of Mors Principium Est and listened to it. Man, so boring, generic and monotonous. Nothing special at all. Now I do get why they are so "underrated" at this poll.

I agree its boaring, i was pissed from band myspace
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.06.2008 - 22:54
Gordon Freeman
Written by K✞ulu on 04.06.2008 at 09:04

Man, I can't wait till Goatrider posts something in return, and then ShadowCross again. I'm really enjoying this argument. , but i belongs to a different thread.

Meh, all due respect to ShadowCross, but after he said Cryptopsy were more of a "grindcore" thing as opposed to the more "traditional" Carcass (one of the very first grindcore pioneers) and that it was more of an American movement (Cryptopsy are from Canada for one thing and the two biggest names in early grind, the afore-mentioned Carcass and Napalm Death are both British), I deemed his arguement invalid.

But thank you for the link to the other thread. If ShadowCross wishes to throw down the gauntlet in response to this post he can feel free to do so there.
----

23.06.2008 - 14:36
Memento Mori
Mr. Nobody
i vote Kalmah, i think they are better than COB
24.06.2008 - 13:42
Knightrider
The Sorcerer
I voted for Ensiferum but they are more folk than extreme power, Wintersun are also great.
01.07.2008 - 12:34
Candlemass
Defaeco
Moonsorrow by FAR>..FAR...
But consider them extreme power metal?
Come on...
03.07.2008 - 02:00
Haightredy
I voted Kalmah. Power Metal should make you want to charge into battle. Extreme Power Metal should make you want to do that to the extreme.
07.07.2008 - 10:57
MortalTheory
Account deleted
I voted COB, but Norther is next. but really, are either of those bands extreme power metal, or melodic death...
16.07.2008 - 23:18
Gordon Freeman
Written by Guest on 07.07.2008 at 10:57

I voted COB, but Norther is next. but really, are either of those bands extreme power metal, or melodic death...

...not this again...

They are extreme power...
----

17.07.2008 - 09:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Gordon Freeman on 16.07.2008 at 23:18

Written by Guest on 07.07.2008 at 10:57

...not this again...

They are extreme power...

yes, this again. can i see a high quality discussion on Metal Theory?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner