Metal Storm logo
Pioneers Of Power Metal

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 01.11.2007 - 19:59
Im doing a senior project on metal, can somebody help me out and tell me who the pioneers of power metal are? Thanks!
21.05.2010 - 02:43
krystal-moon

*Posted by Lord TJ on 01.11.2007 at 18:59 *
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Guys, I have a feeling the kid who started this discussion has finished his project, taken his degree in godknowswhat, got married, bought a house and had three kids...don't know about you, but cracks me up...!!
----
Take my last breath as I fall into Eternity
18.08.2010 - 16:31
Wishmaster
Account deleted
2007?? LOL

I agree with krystal-moon.

Helloween, Stratovarius, and Blind Guardian
11.11.2010 - 12:54
max410

Hi guys check out first demo song and give us your comments ans feedback
www.myspace.com/raedonmetal
please join our facebook group as well
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=73093714928
----
MAX KRAVEN
12.11.2010 - 21:27
Luneth
Account deleted
The pioneers of Power Metal are essentially the pioneers of Heavy/Speed Metal. So bands like Racer X, Helloween and Stratovarius would be pioneers of power metal in my view.
27.11.2010 - 05:01
flying_circus4

Power metal as we know it today pretty much began in 1987 with the release of Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part I. One could argue that Iron Maiden and Yngwie Malmsteen (or even Rainbow for that matter) were already playing a form of power metal at the time, but Keepers I is generally thought of as the first true power metal album. This may be nitpicking, but it was certainly a revolutionary album of sorts (and a pretty good listen, I might add as well). Another revolutionary power metal album would be Rhapsody's 1997 debut album: Legendary Tales, which was the first full-on foray into symphonic power metal. This is a quite brief answer, but I hope it helps...
27.11.2010 - 14:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by flying_circus4 on 27.11.2010 at 05:01

Power metal as we know it today pretty much began in 1987 with the release of Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part I. One could argue that Iron Maiden and Yngwie Malmsteen (or even Rainbow for that matter) were already playing a form of power metal at the time, but Keepers I is generally thought of as the first true power metal album. This may be nitpicking, but it was certainly a revolutionary album of sorts (and a pretty good listen, I might add as well). Another revolutionary power metal album would be Rhapsody's 1997 debut album: Legendary Tales, which was the first full-on foray into symphonic power metal. This is a quite brief answer, but I hope it helps...

reding it seems after 1987 and 1997 there was no power m. at all ?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2010 - 15:30
Luneth
Account deleted
@Flying Circus: I think it's hard to pinpoint one specific point in time...As Power Metal is a subgenre of Heavy Metal; Classical Metal and Speed Metal. Although I would agree that the 80's was when the rise was most prominent. If you believe what you read on sites like Wikipedia, then Power Metal started in the US [yeah sure] in the form of speed metal, and then moved to the UK in the form of NWOBHM and Japan in the form of early visual kei bands like X Japan, Night Hawks etc. Then finally, melodic metal, i.e, European Metal.
27.11.2010 - 15:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I think the blueprint for power metal actually began with Judas Priest. The twin guitar harmonies and the injection of speed which are considered part and parcel of the genre, began with Priest. Helloween just took that a step further, and evolved it into what is commonly known as power metal today. I think many bands played a part in the genesis of the sub-genre, like Priest, Accept, and Maiden. But Helloween were most probably the first to meld speed metal and melody in such a specific way. xD
27.11.2010 - 16:27
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 27.11.2010 at 15:55

I think the blueprint for power metal actually began with Judas Priest. The twin guitar harmonies and the injection of speed which are considered part and parcel of the genre, began with Priest. Helloween just took that a step further, and evolved it into what is commonly known as power metal today. I think many bands played a part in the genesis of the sub-genre, like Priest, Accept, and Maiden. But Helloween were most probably the first to meld speed metal and melody in such a specific way. xD

I agree about old bands like Judas Priest and Maiden were going in the Powermetal direction, without being Powermetal themselves. However, I'm not sure Helloween's Keeper 1 should be considered the first Powermetal album. Other bands released albums that can be considered as Powermetal before Keeper 1. For example, Iron Angel released "Hellish Crossfire" in 1985.
What I think is a few bands made Powermetal before Helloween's Keeper 1 but they were overlooked back then.

Also, if we're speaking of Helloween, why not consider their very first self-titled EP as the first Powermetal album? It has been released before Keeper 1. And, imo, it can't be considered as something else than Powermetal. I know, some people will argue "it is not PM but speed metal". But, what PM originally was? Melodic speed metal. Problem is people are confused about the genre and don't know what PM is nowadays. They don't realize that what most people label as PM today is Flowermetal and that old Helloween, early Blind Guardian and Persuader is the real PM.

Weikath once said something about Helloween hating the 'speed metal' label and saying that someone who listens to their music can easily see that Helloween (he meant at the times of "Walls of Jericho") should not be lumped in the same category as bands like Agent Steel because Helloween is obviously much more melodic. Lets say I agree with him.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.11.2010 - 16:45
Luneth
Account deleted
What is it with this ridiculous 'flower metal' view that people take these days? If 'Flower Metal' is European Melodic Metal is it not Power Metal? Bloody hell...
27.11.2010 - 16:50
npk

Does this count as power metal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTPVhSwpfc
----
"What is left of your dreams?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learned how to teach.
Then forgot how to learn." ~ Queen?White Man
27.11.2010 - 17:03
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by npk on 27.11.2010 at 16:50

Does this count as power metal?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtTPVhSwpfc

Why, because the title has 'ogre' in it? Or because a male singer can reach high notes vocally?

No it isn't power metal, as I explained, power metal derives from Speed, Heavy and classical metal, that track [while being brilliant] doesn't fit into either.
27.11.2010 - 17:11
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 27.11.2010 at 16:45

What is it with this ridiculous 'flower metal' view that people take these days? If 'Flower Metal' is European Melodic Metal is it not Power Metal? Bloody hell...

If you compare old European PM (old Helloween, early Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray) to modern-day PM, you can see that the old stuff had a much rougher sound and was speed metal oriented. Modern European PM sounds quite commercial, production-wise, and leans heavily towards hard rock and pop.
Using the term Flowermetal allows to distinguish real PM from this soft (call it pussy, if you want) stuff.
Real Powermetal is almost dead nowadays and has been replaced by Flowermetal.
----
27.11.2010 - 17:18
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 27.11.2010 at 17:11

If you compare old European PM (old Helloween, early Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray) to modern-day PM, you can see that the old stuff had a much rougher sound and was speed metal oriented. Modern European PM sounds quite commercial, production-wise, and leans heavily towards hard rock and pop.
Using the term Flowermetal allows to distinguish real PM from this soft (call it pussy, if you want) stuff.
Real Powermetal is almost dead nowadays and has been replaced by Flowermetal.

Lol, I can't even grace you with a serious response.
27.11.2010 - 17:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 27.11.2010 at 16:27
I agree about old bands like Judas Priest and Maiden were going in the Powermetal direction, without being Powermetal themselves. However, I'm not sure Helloween's Keeper 1 should be considered the first Powermetal album. Other bands released albums that can be considered as Powermetal before Keeper 1. For example, Iron Angel released "Hellish Crossfire" in 1985.
What I think is a few bands made Powermetal before Helloween's Keeper 1 but they were overlooked back then.

Also, if we're speaking of Helloween, why not consider their very first self-titled EP as the first Powermetal album? It has been released before Keeper 1. And, imo, it can't be considered as something else than Powermetal. I know, some people will argue "it is not PM but speed metal". But, what PM originally was? Melodic speed metal. Problem is people are confused about the genre and don't know what PM is nowadays. They don't realize that what most people label as PM today is Flowermetal and that old Helloween, early Blind Guardian and Persuader is the real PM.

Weikath once said something about Helloween hating the 'speed metal' label and saying that someone who listens to their music can easily see that Helloween (he meant at the times of "Walls of Jericho") should not be lumped in the same category as bands like Agent Steel because Helloween is obviously much more melodic. Lets say I agree with him.

You have made the false assumption that when I said Helloween were the first to do "true" power metal, that I meant Keeper Pt.1, like most other people. lol The self titled EP, and "Walls Of Jericho" are for me, the earliest examples of actual power metal. (And the two songs Helloween contributed to the "Death Metal" compilation if you want to go even further back) Ive always considered the very early Helloween, power metal. Because melodic speed metal is just power metal under another label, as you said. "Keeper Pt.1" was certainly more influential, and more melodic, but they were already doing power metal well before that album, which is why I consider them the undoubted first, to craft speed and melody in such a way. xD

I also agree with Weiki (Michael Weikath ) that Helloween are not in the same category as bands like Agent Steel. Who played a less aggressive brand of thrash, (speed metal) but not melodic enough to be classed as melodic speed metal.
27.11.2010 - 17:32
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 27.11.2010 at 17:21

You have made the false assumption that when I said Helloween were the first to do "true" power metal, that I meant Keeper Pt.1, like most other people. lol The self titled EP, and "Walls Of Jericho" are for me, the earliest examples of actual power metal. (And the two songs Helloween contributed to the "Death Metal" compilation if you want to go even further back) Ive always considered the very early Helloween, power metal. Because melodic speed metal is just power metal under another label, as you said. "Keeper Pt.1" was certainly more influential, and more melodic, but they were already doing power metal well before that album, which is why I consider them the undoubted first, to craft speed and melody in such a way. xD

I also agree with Weiki (Michael Weikath ) that Helloween are not in the same category as bands like Agent Steel. Who played a less aggressive brand of thrash, (speed metal) but not melodic enough to be classed as melodic speed metal.

I guess we agree on everything, then.
----
27.11.2010 - 17:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious

I never use the term "flower metal" myself, cos I think it's dumb. lol Perhaps because I can appreciate more melodic stuff as well as aggressive stuff, I dont feel the need to apply a degrading label (which lets face it "flower metal" is) to the really melodic stuff. I love say, the very early Blind Guardian, and the latest Avantasia releases. On different levels, yes, but I appreciate them both just the same. I can sort of see the need for people wanting to seperate the more aggressive type of power metal, and the lighter stuff, I just dont use the term "flower metal" cos I dont like it. Later Avantasia later stuff is like a mix of power metal and hard rock. xD
27.11.2010 - 17:44
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 27.11.2010 at 17:35

I never use the term "flower metal" myself, cos I think it's dumb. lol Perhaps because I can appreciate more melodic stuff as well as aggressive stuff, I dont feel the need to apply a degrading label (which lets face it "flower metal" is) to the really melodic stuff. I love say, the very early Blind Guardian, and the latest Avantasia releases. On different levels, yes, but I appreciate them both just the same. I can sort of see the need for people wanting to seperate the more aggressive type of power metal, and the lighter stuff, I just dont use the term "flower metal" cos I dont like it. Later Avantasia later stuff is like a mix of power metal and hard rock. xD

So, you don't agree with my use of the term 'Flowermetal' (this, I knew already) but you see that there's a big difference between old and modern PM, isn't it? You acknowledge the difference but don't like the label 'Flowermetal', as far as I understand it.

First reason I use the term 'Flowermetal' is because I don't find a better way to differentiate real Powermetal (melodic speed metal) and hard rock-ish stuff.

I would add that all this argument and confusion about what stuff is Powermetal and what is not is caused by the fact the genre softened itself so much with time.
----
27.11.2010 - 19:20
Luneth
Account deleted
Well, as it goes, I love flower metal (lol, what a ridiculous term).

About it being too comercial and poppish? Lol, I think we have some genre confusions there. As that would suggest that all 'flower metal' is popular; which is incredibly untrue. Some examples of these so called flower metal bands would be greatly appreciated. No point making a point and not giving examples :/
27.11.2010 - 21:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Ravenking: I dont like the term "flower metal", no. lol But yes, I do acknowledge there is a difference between the more aggressive melodic speed metal like early Helloween (which Ive already said I do class as power metal) and later bands also classed as power metal, but incorporate elements such as hard rock into the sound. I just dont like "flower metal" as a term, because I feel it demeans the music. And seeing as I like a lot of bands that some would class as that, I wont use the term myself. Some people seem to think that the genre becoming "softer" is quite a recent thing, but that isnt really the case. If you look at the two Keeper records compared to the earlier Helloween, you can already see that the music became lighter and more melodic with the Keepers. I think the problem is, with some bands, the line is blurred. The early Edguy albums are clearly more within the melodic speed metal end of power metal, while the later albums have as much in common with, if not even more in common with, hard rock, than melodic speed metal. The parameters of the genre are far wider than they used to be, that is true. I can sorta see where you're coming from, even though I dont like the term "flower metal".

@Luneth: I completely agree that "flower metal" is not "popular"! lol At least, if the comparison being made is with mainstream pop music. Over here, if you asked say 1000 random people who Stratovarius are, you'd be lucky if 10 people knew who you were on about. Ask the same people about a mainstream pop artist, and the vast majority of them will know who you're talking about. Just because a band's music isnt very aggressive, doesnt make it "commercial" and "popular". Slipknot play far more aggressive music than so-called "flower metal" bands, yet are far more well known worldwide than bands in that genre. The term "pop" means popular, and a lot of lighter power metal bands are in fact, not very popular. Unless you're comparing them to underground black metal or something...
27.11.2010 - 22:06
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.11.2010 at 21:17

@Luneth: I completely agree that "flower metal" is not "popular"! lol At least, if the comparison being made is with mainstream pop music. Over here, if you asked say 1000 random people who Stratovarius are, you'd be lucky if 10 people knew who you were on about. Ask the same people about a mainstream pop artist, and the vast majority of them will know who you're talking about. Just because a band's music isnt very aggressive, doesnt make it "commercial" and "popular". Slipknot play far more aggressive music than so-called "flower metal" bands, yet are far more well known worldwide than bands in that genre. The term "pop" means popular, and a lot of lighter power metal bands are in fact, not very popular. Unless you're comparing them to underground black metal or something...

Exactly, that was the point I was making

I would like to hear some examples though, some contemporary 'flower metal', anyone who supports this ridiculous ideology, please, any and all examples will be accepted :p Let's see if you can xD.
28.11.2010 - 00:35
RavenKing

Written by Guest on 27.11.2010 at 22:06

I would like to hear some examples though, some contemporary 'flower metal', anyone who supports this ridiculous ideology, please, any and all examples will be accepted :p Let's see if you can xD.

It is examples you need? Fine. I'll give you a few ones. I could give dozens of others.

Alestorm
Avantasia since "The Scarecrow"
Celesty
Circle II Circle
Elvenking
Excalion
Freedom Call after "Eternity"
Hammerfall after "Renegade"
Heavenly
Helloween "Chameleon"
Holyhell
Iron Fire
Dreamquest
Metallium
Mob Rules
Narnia
Nightwish
Power Quest
Pretty Maids
Revolution Renaissance
Rhapsody of Fire since "SOEL II"
Royal Hunt
Sabaton
Sonata Arctica since "Unia"
Terasbetoni
Vision Divine (at least the last album)

Add to the list pretty much all female-fronted 'symphonic metal' bands.
And there are many others but, in lots of cases, I don't remember how they sound.
----
28.11.2010 - 00:50
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 28.11.2010 at 00:35

It is examples you need? Fine. I'll give you a few ones. I could give dozens of others.

Alestorm
Celesty
Circle II Circle
Elvenking
Excalion
Heavenly
Helloween "Chameleon"
Holyhell
Iron Fire
Dreamquest
Metallium
Mob Rules
Narnia
Nightwish
Power Quest
Pretty Maids
Revolution Renaissance
Royal Hunt
Sabaton
Terasbetoni

And there are many others but, in lots of cases, I don't remember how they sound.

What's popular about these bands? :p

The way you defined flower metal, it was almost as if these bands had 'sold out'.
28.11.2010 - 03:37
RavenKing

It's not a matter of being popular or not (though some of those bands start to appeal to lots of teenage girls, because of their softness and the glam attitude of some musicians), but a matter of sounding like metal or not. Those bands are simply too soft, their sound is too easily accessible to non-metal fans, for me to consider them as metal. It has no roughness of any kind, lyrics are often sentimental or even superficial (promoting the same ideas and attitude as in pop music), etc.

It's more a matter of trying to break through the mainstream by softening (and often dumbing down) the music than really succeeding at it. And yes, many of those bands sold out musically, no matter if they really get commercial success or not from it. Trying to get it by softening is already solding out in itself.
----
28.11.2010 - 05:46
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 28.11.2010 at 03:37

It's not a matter of being popular or not (though some of those bands start to appeal to lots of teenage girls, because of their softness and the glam attitude of some musicians), but a matter of sounding like metal or not. Those bands are simply too soft, their sound is too easily accessible to non-metal fans, for me to consider them as metal. It has no roughness of any kind, lyrics are often sentimental or even superficial (promoting the same ideas and attitude as in pop music), etc.

It's more a matter of trying to break through the mainstream by softening (and often dumbing down) the music than really succeeding at it. And yes, many of those bands sold out musically, no matter if they really get commercial success or not from it. Trying to get it by softening is already solding out in itself.

When I was a teenage girl, I loved bands like Entombed, Carcass, Napalm Death, Exodus, etc as well as "lighter" metal like Priest and Helloween. lol Now I realise the former bands I mentioned are not really marketable towards most teenage girls, or accessible for them. (or at least it certainly wasnt back then) But just because some metal is more accessible to non-metal fans, doesn't make it "not metal". I guess it comes down to the age old arguement, when does something stop being "hard rock" and become "metal"? Where is that line? If you look at an album like say, "Load" by Metallica, it's very easy for some to say it is "not metal", even when logic dictates that it surely is. Or at least more metal than anything else. The lyrical content is generally much darker (and certainly not superficial) than anything found in pop music, or even most hard rock bands. The music, while certainly not thrash, has a general tone of being harsher and more aggressive than say a rock band like Whitesnake. My point here is, just because a band's music isnt frenetically aggressive, doesnt mean it cant be metal.

As for selling out, as a general rule, I do not use that term, as only if a band is softening it's style in purely to try and gain more commercial success, is it selling out. Merely softening your sound by itself, is not selling out, if the artist's heart is in the music. If you take a guy like Tobias Sammet, its quite clear to me that he loves what he does, and is a workaholic. Its also clear to me that he genuinely loves the music he is making. That to me, is not selling out. Its the reasons for making softer music that potentially makes someone a "sell out", not making softer music by itself. Seeing as generally, its impossible to know the reasons why a band plays a certain way, I refrain from using the term "sell-out". Unless its a case that is completely beyond arguement. (ala Dave Mustaine) There are bands who make much harder music (and are more popular) than so-called "flower metal" bands, who probably are selling out, because the aggression is in some cases, partly forced, and is done more for the image, than because that's what's really in their hearts.

I also dont think that say for example, Stratovarius' music would be "accessible" to say, most Lady Gaga, or Justin Beiber fans. Because while the music is not crushingly aggressive like say, Slayer, or Entombed, it is still more intricate and complex, (and on occassion, much faster) and the lyrical content is generally one not found within pop music. Also, the guitar is distorted, and is the dominant instrument. My point here is, some bands are not very heavy or aggressive, but they are certainly not pop, because they contain elements that are completely absent in that genre of music. Wow, that was a long post! lol

@Luneth: Agreed totally.
28.11.2010 - 16:12
RavenKing

Written by Angelic Storm on 28.11.2010 at 05:46

Written by RavenKing on 28.11.2010 at 03:37

When I was a teenage girl, I loved bands like Entombed, Carcass, Napalm Death, Exodus, etc as well as "lighter" metal like Priest and Helloween. lol Now I realise the former bands I mentioned are not really marketable towards most teenage girls, or accessible for them. (or at least it certainly wasnt back then) But just because some metal is more accessible to non-metal fans, doesn't make it "not metal". I guess it comes down to the age old arguement, when does something stop being "hard rock" and become "metal"? Where is that line? If you look at an album like say, "Load" by Metallica, it's very easy for some to say it is "not metal", even when logic dictates that it surely is. Or at least more metal than anything else. The lyrical content is generally much darker (and certainly not superficial) than anything found in pop music, or even most hard rock bands. The music, while certainly not thrash, has a general tone of being harsher and more aggressive than say a rock band like Whitesnake. My point here is, just because a band's music isnt frenetically aggressive, doesnt mean it cant be metal.

As for selling out, as a general rule, I do not use that term, as only if a band is softening it's style in purely to try and gain more commercial success, is it selling out. Merely softening your sound by itself, is not selling out, if the artist's heart is in the music. If you take a guy like Tobias Sammet, its quite clear to me that he loves what he does, and is a workaholic. Its also clear to me that he genuinely loves the music he is making. That to me, is not selling out. Its the reasons for making softer music that potentially makes someone a "sell out", not making softer music by itself. Seeing as generally, its impossible to know the reasons why a band plays a certain way, I refrain from using the term "sell-out". Unless its a case that is completely beyond arguement. (ala Dave Mustaine) There are bands who make much harder music (and are more popular) than so-called "flower metal" bands, who probably are selling out, because the aggression is in some cases, partly forced, and is done more for the image, than because that's what's really in their hearts.

I also dont think that say for example, Stratovarius' music would be "accessible" to say, most Lady Gaga, or Justin Beiber fans. Because while the music is not crushingly aggressive like say, Slayer, or Entombed, it is still more intricate and complex, (and on occassion, much faster) and the lyrical content is generally one not found within pop music. Also, the guitar is distorted, and is the dominant instrument. My point here is, some bands are not very heavy or aggressive, but they are certainly not pop, because they contain elements that are completely absent in that genre of music. Wow, that was a long post! lol

I respect your opinion. Arguing further would be useless. I've been told several times by different people that I have 'heavy standards' and that my views about metal are kinda extreme.
For me, when it is too soft or hard rock oriented, I have a hard time labeling music as metal.

It is not a gimmick or elitism. It's just the feeling I get when hearing music. You said something about 'the line between hard rock and metal'. I think my line is not the same as some other people, so I'm quicker to lump bands in the hard rock or rock category.

Also, for me metal has much to do with attitude and I don't see a 'metal attitude' in soft bands.

Using the term Flowermetal allows me to make a distinction between what I consider as more hardcore metal and soft metal.
----
28.11.2010 - 17:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by RavenKing on 28.11.2010 at 16:12
I respect your opinion. Arguing further would be useless. I've been told several times by different people that I have 'heavy standards' and that my views about metal are kinda extreme.
For me, when it is too soft or hard rock oriented, I have a hard time labeling music as metal.

It is not a gimmick or elitism. It's just the feeling I get when hearing music. You said something about 'the line between hard rock and metal'. I think my line is not the same as some other people, so I'm quicker to lump bands in the hard rock or rock category.

Also, for me metal has much to do with attitude and I don't see a 'metal attitude' in soft bands.

Using the term Flowermetal allows me to make a distinction between what I consider as more hardcore metal and soft metal.

Thanx. The feeling is mutual. xD

Yep, I think the line where hard rock ends and metal begins can be very difficult to define. And that line is different depending on who you speak to. Like some people will call Deep Purple metal, while others dismiss that idea, and say they are hard rock. Some bands who have a foot in both genres, like the later Edguy material, its very difficult to apply a definitive label to the music because its not completely one thing or the other. When the line is blurred in that way, it then becomes down to the individual's own interpretation. Which is how I can class newer Edguy as metal, whereas you wouldnt. lol

As for "metal attitude", I dont really buy into that much. Ive had a friend actually telling me that he couldnt believe I was into metal because I am "too sweet and nice". lol Ive never believed that you have to act or look a certain way to love metal music. To me, the metal attitude has always just been about being yourself, and not compromising yourself just to fit in with other people. And there certainly are people who try too hard to fit into the whole "metal image" and it just comes off as fake. :\
18.12.2010 - 00:49
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Not sure if someone said this already but what about Rainbow? Especially with Dio. IMHO those guys were power metal before we got into labeling and trying to define every category and sub-category got kind of ridiculous. Songs like "Temple of The King", "Man on Silver Mountain" could be considered power metal, they just didn't call themselves that. Also Dios solo projects have songs that could be considered power metal.
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
27.12.2010 - 16:15
Aristarchos

Written by RavenKing on 28.11.2010 at 00:35

Alestorm
Celesty
Circle II Circle
Elvenking
Excalion
Heavenly
Helloween "Chameleon"
Holyhell
Iron Fire
Dreamquest
Metallium
Mob Rules
Narnia
Nightwish
Power Quest
Pretty Maids
Revolution Renaissance
Royal Hunt
Sabaton
Terasbetoni

Why is HammerFall after "Renegade" flower metal? They became heavier and more heavy metal-oriented, not more hard rock-oriented.
27.12.2010 - 16:21
Aristarchos

Written by Death To Posers on 18.12.2010 at 00:49

Not sure if someone said this already but what about Rainbow? Especially with Dio. IMHO those guys were power metal before we got into labeling and trying to define every category and sub-category got kind of ridiculous. Songs like "Temple of The King", "Man on Silver Mountain" could be considered power metal, they just didn't call themselves that. Also Dios solo projects have songs that could be considered power metal.

"Kill The King" is usually named to be the first power metal song, but I don't think the rest of their songs is power metal.