Metal Storm logo
Craft

06.11.2007 - 07:55
ASiema113
This is to everyone who has/is or have yet to create something with the most important tools of all...your hands

Whether your working on a world-reknowed sculpture, building someone a house, or using your hand as an outline for a Thanksgiving turkey I'm sure everyone at some point in their lives have taken something and made it creative.

Right now I'm working on building guitars at SE Tech, and at the end of the course I will post a picture of the end result and maybe add some clips of what my creation shall sound like. Hell if anyone is interested I might even build you a guitar!

But this is only one of Craft's principles, which one is yours?
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
07.11.2007 - 13:13
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I don't know if this is the sort of thing you had in mind , but I do a lot of knitting.

I'm not sure it comes under the "art" heading but it is a craft.
I have knitted loads of stuff but currently I am making fingerless gloves .
I have even sold a few pairs on ebay.

----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
08.11.2007 - 07:27
ASiema113
Written by hanna of steel on 07.11.2007 at 13:13

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you had in mind , but I do a lot of knitting.

I'm not sure it comes under the "art" heading but it is a craft.
I have knitted loads of stuff but currently I am making fingerless gloves .
I have even sold a few pairs on ebay.

Hey that's pretty badass!(pardon my french lol) How long did it take you to make those?

If you had any doubt about what I had in mind, don't worry b/c anything that is taken(whether it be wood, wool, clay or potato lol, etc) and changed into another form has a place here. It can be something that can be used(ex. gloves, guitar, bowl, etc) or it can be something you put on your wall/hallway to admire/observe (tapestry, sculpture, woven rug, etc). Pretty much anything that requires using your hands/mind to transform/create a new form from whatever material one chooses to use.

But things such as painting, photography, etc are a whole different element of it's own, b/c you are not as much taking something and changing it, as you are adding something onto a canvas/base. But creating a canvas,or a base of any sort would be considered a craft b/c again you are the one who is putting together a new form out one or more various objects/materials.
----

08.11.2007 - 09:31
Fuath
i can make animals and other sorts of objects out of towels (dogs, baskets, beetles, elephants etc etc.....) i also do bonsai, i think that it counts as using my hands (repotting, shaping, pulling of leaves etc...), is this the sort of thing ur looking for???
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

08.11.2007 - 13:09
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
@ Tumbarius - I'm pleased you like the gloves

If I can be kept away from the computer I could probably make one a pair in a day.
I have been knitting for a long time and I can do these gloves without a pattern now .
It's not as interesting as building your own guitar though .

I hope more people post in this thread .
I am sure there are some more talented "crafters" in MS.

@ something_wicked , can we have a pic of an animal you have made ?
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
08.11.2007 - 19:50
yvesson
Hej,
It's prolly well-known I have made chainmails... (at least those who know me a bit) : 2 hauberks, 1 coif and 3 bras. I wouldn't call it art at all, but still this was the idea of making so. with my hands that I'd be proud of. So many hours spend but I'm fairly sure it will last ^^
Check the website in my siggy for pics, somehow easy to find imo, even if you can't speak french.

Well I have thought about other stuff, one being tanning a skin. I'll wait spring though now if I wanna get oak bark for it.

Oh and of course... LEGOs. I think I'm becoming an AFOL (adult fan of legos) and maybe I'll make some MOCs (My Own Creation) once I have gathered a lot of bricks. Of course I have been creative with LEGOs in my youth already, but that I don't have pics of.
09.11.2007 - 10:52
Fuath
Written by hanna of steel on 08.11.2007 at 13:09

@ something_wicked , can we have a pic of an animal you have made ?

no problems, im going away this weekend, but when i get back i will try and post some pics
----
FRACTALS!!!!!

24.06.2009 - 21:10
ASiema113
Alright gonna give this thread my latest work, which was a classical/flamenco guitar I made this year. Took me about six weeks to seven weeks to build, w/ an arsenal of various hand & power tools.

Anyway here's the wood I used & a link since I'm developmentally challenged when it come's to uploading pics onto threads:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30204608&l=8c7d209439&id=1208780993

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30204609&l=920ee22331&id=1208780993

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30204610&l=fe0285ba63&id=1208780993

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30204612&l=d2666c08be&id=1208780993

Top: Carpathian Spruce (I use only the most brootal of spruce)

Back & Sides: Monterey Cypress

Neck: Spanish Cedar

Fingerboard: Honduran Rosewood

Bridge: Madagascar Rosewood

Headcap Laminate: Indian Rosewood (w/matching tailpiece.)

I'll work on the pics later, but I think this is a good start.
----

20.10.2010 - 14:11
Gorgon
I am a metalsmith / enameller:

I also knit... heh. My double pointed needles in my avatar. It is a good portable hobby. And well, I make a lot of other stuff as well.
15.01.2011 - 02:42
WOW !!! amazingggg
15.01.2011 - 18:49
ForeverDarkWoods
I've made a few bootleg patches for myself. Does that count?
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America