+ Cunoasterea Tacuta [video]
+ Norilor [video]
+ III [live]
+ Bruiestru [live]
+ IIII [live]
+ Wordless Knowledge [live]
+ Primul Om [slideshow]
+ Interview

Some bands are truly mesmerizing by their level of creativity. The Romanian combo known as Negura Bunget is one of them. Their unique blend of Black Metal has so many layers that it is hard to categorize them into only one style. As my first encounter with the band, 2006's OM truly convinced me of Negura Bunget abilities and it also encouraged me to look further into their discography.

Let's get down to it; OM is nothing short of a masterpiece. And while the word is throw out lightly nowadays, OM is indeed a fantastic piece of art. Only a few bands managed to surprise me that much on a first spin, among which Opeth and Agalloch. But Negura Bunget did it and the more I listen to it, the more I understand why. The exotic feeling crafted by the lyrics in their native tongue is another element of the enigmatic atmospheres that transcends this album into a profound journey into your own psyche. This could be categorized as Atmospheric Black Metal or Folk Black Metal, but that does not matter much. The Romanian trio really brought something special to life with this record. Acoustic guitars, sound effects, bells, chants, spiritual passages and raw BM moments intersect throughout the album, with transcending keyboard atmospheres and hypnotic guitar lines keeping the pace of the tracks.

Negura Bunget already has a solid fan base; OM can only bring more people into the light. A divine album with a unique style and its own trademark, this album is one of 2006's best efforts for sure. Any fan of atmospheric Metal with any taste in Black Metal can get OM blindfolded. As for the others, give it a try, you might be surprised.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 04.11.2007 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 21   Visited by: 380 users
06.11.2007 - 16:05
Rating: 10
AnarChrist

One of my favourite albums ever,totally fascinating.I think it's most suited to call it "transcendental black metal".At times it really feels like the music is going to suck your soul out of your body and trancend it to a higher level,especially in "Tesarul De Lumini" and "Cel Din Urma Vis".And by the way,the language they use in it is really old romanian,that is not used anymore,and spoken only by those who have especially learned it.
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
06.11.2007 - 18:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
this is a great album and deserving of your rating. Btw, do you have the version with the dvd added, there you get a couple of videoclips and live and an interview. totally worth it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.11.2007 - 00:41
marillionfan
Account deleted
Written by AnarChrist on 06.11.2007 at 16:05

One of my favourite albums ever,totally fascinating.I think it's most suited to call it "transcendental black metal".At times it really feels like the music is going to suck your soul out of your body and trancend it to a higher level,especially in "Tesarul De Lumini" and "Cel Din Urma Vis".And by the way,the language they use in it is really old romanian,that is not used anymore,and spoken only by those who have especially learned it.

I agree to most of the things you say except the fact that the language used is not spoken anymore, it's untrue - it is Romanian, there might be some archaic words but that's a long stretch from what you're stating.

great to see people abroad enjoying Romanian bands!
15.11.2007 - 21:40
AnarChrist

Written by Guest on 09.11.2007 at 00:41

I agree to most of the things you say except the fact that the language used is not spoken anymore, it's untrue - it is Romanian, there might be some archaic words but that's a long stretch from what you're stating.

great to see people abroad enjoying Romanian bands!

really? sorry,my mistake,got fooled by the internet again :S
i even visited Romania (and Bulgaria) this year and in free time tried to find the album from local music stores,but it seems mainstream stores don't have a clue of it
and Romania is a very beautiful country,especially Transylvania..
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
11.04.2008 - 14:46
lenesu

I'd like to add to the review that you should see first the DVD and then listen to the CD because you might not have a clue what is the album about and there is a lot of hidden sense in it.
19.05.2009 - 11:30
Lirion

...and still funny that nobody notes the horrible spellings in the lyrics, the fact that some tracks have wrong lyrics etc etc. Luckily, at least the band is spelled right here. Let's see if my correction will be applied soon... metalstorm would be the only website I know with correct lyrics.
Apart from that - this album is a milestone. You should at least have listened to Ţesarul De Lumini (pronounced Tsesarul de Lumini) and Cunoaşterea Tăcută (Coonwashtarya T(a)cut(a)), those two songs incorporate unique new facets to metal music.
I wouldn't want to miss that album and I wonder when will the band release another album? It would be interesting to know what will develop out of this.
----
Fashion is the uniform of civilians.
-- Werner Mitsch
29.05.2009 - 16:40
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
So, finally I got something from this band, maybe their best album. And I gotta say, this is great black metal.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.09.2009 - 10:42
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Surely an enjoyable album, but on the other hand not one of my very favorites...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.09.2009 - 10:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2009 at 10:42

Surely an enjoyable album, but on the other hand not one of my very favorites...

What what what? This sure as hell pisses all over the folk metal you usually listen to
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2009 - 10:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think i didnt get your point now...
----

30.09.2009 - 10:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2009 at 10:47

I think i didnt get your point now...

I am claiming that Om is superior to all the folk metal you listen to
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2009 - 10:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Possibly...but not as catchy
----

30.09.2009 - 10:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2009 at 10:49

True, but this music on Om is soooo much deeper and more artistic and just superior in all senses that it doesn't have to be catchy. The music on display here is no music for the mainstream masses.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.09.2009 - 10:53
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well, think noone can expect from me i would really enjoy music, because it is "deep" and "very artistic" according to someone (or even it really is) while i dont feel it too...maybe i would discover it myself one day, until then i am sorry...
----

04.01.2010 - 02:02
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Yeah... as Marcel told me on Zîrnindu-să album comments... this one is truly infinitely superior.

And great review by the Tutor

The translation of the song titles is pretty awesome

Song titles translated :
01. Dark Times
02. Weaver of Lights
03. The First Human
04. Silenced Knowledge
05. Arboreal
06. The Underneath
07. To the Skies
08. Of Stone
09. The Final Dream
10. Sun's Round Dance
11. The Second Human

from MetalArchives.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
08.06.2010 - 06:48
INÆRIS

It's my great, but I just wish the production was better. It would be perfect for me if they had spent a little more time with production. Great melodies, transitions, vocals, pretty much everything though. Wow.
----
Still Life, Still Death
08.06.2010 - 07:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2009 at 10:51

True, but this music on Om is soooo much deeper and more artistic and just superior in all senses that it doesn't have to be catchy. The music on display here is no music for the mainstream masses.

when black metal is catchy, black metal is broken.

OM is transcendent.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.06.2010 - 23:45
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by BitterCOld on 08.06.2010 at 07:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2009 at 10:51

when black metal is catchy, black metal is broken.

OM is transcendent.

O yea for sure a total trip from start to finish, really need to light one up and let this bad boy burn you down
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
19.08.2010 - 04:52
whatsacow

Just listened to it for the first time. Wow is all that i can possibly say. I hope to god that all their albums are this great, or at least close.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
01.12.2012 - 00:19
Haiwaan Das

Om Namah Shiva!
----
Gr Gr Gr Gr Gr
02.09.2015 - 14:01
Rating: 7
Metren
Dreadrealm
Great review for a great album. This album has all I want from BM and more, it is a journey into beautiful darkness.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 11855 | This month: 8