Metal Storm logo
Headphones/Earbuds

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 14.11.2007 - 20:23
What kind of headphones/earbuds do you have for your metal? Are they good? Bad? Why?

The other day I got these PHILIPS ear buds. I thought they were going to be pretty good for $15, but they suck! The rubber things don't even stay in my ear! The chords are even the same size! I am going to return them for my money back!
31.12.2008 - 01:37
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Kanto on 31.12.2008 at 01:34

Written by LeChron James on 30.12.2008 at 07:19

Earbuds are sooo bad for your ears. headphones all the way, preferably sennheisers.
Exactly. Actually I'm kind of "afraid" of earbuds because the soundwaves goes right into you tympanum, and with high volume that's dangerous .
Anyway, I had a trip a few months ago, so I'm using a crappy and free Air France Headphones. My old Maxwell are broken so...sad for me -__-

yeah earbuds only work if you're in a completely silent environment and have the ability to listen to it at a safe volume. but most times, thats not the fact, causing you to turn up the volume and inflict further hearing damage. bad news all around.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
01.01.2009 - 18:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 16.11.2007 at 05:12

I'm married to my sony old-school earphones. They're the only ones that fit perfectly in my ears and don't hur me. They sound loud and their sound is really good and it doesn't distord (And that's very good cause I listen to my MP3 player at maximum volume. And they sound good with metal, and EBM, my two main genres.

Ooooo I got those ages along with my first [and also current] Sony Walkman and I have to agree with you they're fucking awesome. Really good sound even if the volume is really low.

Well... At the moment I use some Philips. Classic style but very good and the shape it's also a + for me.
It has also some kind of "small pillows" [they're not on the pic] that helps not only because it's waaaay softer but because the sound is isolated and you don't hear most of the stuff that it's around you but just the music.
And they're fucking cheap... around 8-9 euro. And they can last quite a lot... a couple of years and just for 8-9 euros it's a good deal IMO. [Although my cat "played" with one of my earbuds and I had to buy new ones ]

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.01.2009 - 01:20
Elio
Red Nightmare
I can't stand earbuds that break too easily grrrrrrr.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.01.2009 - 04:21
Gigginova
Account deleted
For my ipod, I use Sony earbuds.
12.04.2010 - 19:47
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Actually, since canalphones isolate from outside sound so well, you are likely to use them with lower volume.
Ie. they are actually better for your hearing than big headphones.
12.04.2010 - 20:21
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.01.2009 at 18:44

Well... At the moment I use some Philips. Classic style but very good and the shape it's also a + for me.
It has also some kind of "small pillows" [they're not on the pic] that helps not only because it's waaaay softer but because the sound is isolated and you don't hear most of the stuff that it's around you but just the music.
And they're fucking cheap... around 8-9 euro. And they can last quite a lot... a couple of years and just for 8-9 euros it's a good deal IMO. [Although my cat "played" with one of my earbuds and I had to buy new ones ]

I've had three Philips earphones just like these (the last ones were white, though) and they all "broke" after one month of using which is strange because I'm very careful with things, especially if they're electronic... and if they break then that happens after some long time but this is something incredible. The thing is, those rubber thingies (around earphones, so to say) simply come off and disappear. Today I lost both of those hell knows where. That means I have to buy new earphones - no more Philips. Bah.
12.04.2010 - 20:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ragana on 12.04.2010 at 20:21

I've had three Philips earphones just like these (the last ones were white, though) and they all "broke" after one month of using which is strange because I'm very careful with things, especially if they're electronic... and if they break then that happens after some long time but this is something incredible. The thing is, those rubber thingies (around earphones, so to say) simply come off and disappear. Today I lost both of those hell knows where. That means I have to buy new earphones - no more Philips. Bah.

Oh well... Those are classic stuff for me and they last for almost half a year. So I guess that I'm extremely careful or you just suck at being careful.

Another reason you suck: I miss Bubbles, seriously, what the fuck?
You just have to change your username to "angel of darkness" and you will complete the transformation into a generic metal/goth female user
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.04.2010 - 21:00
Ragana
Rawrcat
I do not suck at being careful. My half-broken mp3 player is ten times older than all of these earphones together and it was supposed to be broken two years ago.

Ooooh, that'd be niiiice. Well, maybe not since I'm pretty far from being any kind of angel, uh. But since when belly dancers are goth?
12.04.2010 - 21:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ragana on 12.04.2010 at 21:00

uh. But since when belly dancers are goth?

From my point of view: It just looked like a woman headbanging. That's all. Bubblues can just eat that dancer alive.

Talking about being careful: I still have my discman, 5-6 years old, still good. Those things are known for being tanks though.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.04.2010 - 21:28
Ragana
Rawrcat
...sad.

Well, yea, I can say the same about a few other old things. But still. Those earphones are nice but they just don't resist for long.
12.04.2010 - 21:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ragana on 12.04.2010 at 21:28

But still. Those earphones are nice but they just don't resist for long.

I have magic fingers/ears then. Because that rubber thing starts to get bad after the fourth or fifth month + they are cheap as hell, so it's the perfect deal for me.
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.04.2010 - 01:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I use headphones IFROGZ EAR POLLUTION they were 20$ and have WAY better bass then my old earbuds which were fine but i forgot them in my pocket and they went thru the wash XD
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.04.2010 - 15:27
Ernis
狼獾
Bought a pair of Koss... they better last at least a year... the Kanon ones I bought in China lasted a long time too and were very good and the price was reasonable... too bad they aren't sold here...
02.02.2011 - 17:04
Vivi'

My love - Sennheiser PX200. Great sound and folding! The sad part is that they broke and now I am waiting for a replacement, but they are perfect.
02.02.2011 - 17:30
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
I have a pair of Canyon cnr-hp2 headphones, which I paid about 20 euros. The sound is great, especially when compared to the crappy built-in laptop speakers. They have a 4 m long cord so I can pretty much move freely around my room. The only problem I had with them so far is that the cord gets twisted and has to be stretched for a about half an hour to straighten out.
02.02.2011 - 18:06
Luneth
Account deleted
Ah I was wondering if there was a thread on this topic!

The headphones [i.e, over ear's, not in.] I use when I'm at home are Seinheisser HD 2.0 headphones. They have a great bass and are incredibly comfertable, so great for listening to music for hours on end . Noise cancelling of course so I don't have to hear the shit going on around the halls.

Now for my mobile, [which is a Nokia X6] I use two sets, firstly the Nokia BH (Bluetooth Headset] 214, which are earphones, they were quite annoying for me; in my opinion they're not well designed therefore uncomfertable which was a problem for when I travelled around campus or anywhere else. The design also made the whole 'wireless' attribute to it kind of impossible to enjoy. As for the quality of the earphones, they were actually pretty good, nice noise cancellation and a very good bass, however the volume wasn't really good enough, and being designed as they are, they weren't practical and couldn't really accommodate my laptop [I got these before my seinheissers].

The current headphones I use for my mobile are Nokia's latest creation, the BH 905, which are, for all intents and purposes, flawless wireless headphones. they have a new technology called 'Active Noise Cancelling', whereby you can flick a switch on the left ear and actively block out sounds. It may sound like nothing, but it's nice having the choice . It came with a starter pack which included a 'global' charger or sorts, three kinds of jacks, the standard 3.5mm; the 'big jacks' as I call them which are basically the old school ones that can be used for amps and a 1.5mm jack which I seem to have no use for. It also includes a standard charger which works with the phone also and finally an extension which allows you to connect the 3.5mm jack to almost everything else.

The headphones I use for when I'm doing any working out, jogging [or being a loner at boxing] are Sony MDR- AS30 Stereo Headphones which are well known for their flexiblity and in-ear nature despite technically being headphones. They have an ergonomic 'U' shaped bend which fits around your neck comfertably and goes in your ears, this kind of ingenious design means they can never fall out I use this with my Sony MP3 for that all important bass boost [Sony headphones/earphones seem to sound so much better in Sony music players].

When I'm gaming I use Alienware Tact X headphones which have a mic in the left ear and noise cancelling among other things which are useful for PC gamers that I won't get into.
02.02.2011 - 20:40
MetalSpider

I have 3 pairs of headphones/earphones. For music or gaming, I use Ultrasone HFI-780...best headphones Ive ever owned and around $300. I picked these up because they're just amazing for metal and excellent for video games and movies. I also use AKG K240 MKII...for music and when I used to do mixing and mastering. They're also around $200.

I had Sennheiser headphones at one point but I didn't like them at all. If anyone is willing to spend about $300 maybe less, maybe more (depending on where you live..,I had to order them from the US because I couldnt find them in Canada)...then the Ultrasone HFI-780 are just amazing for metal. You won't regret them.

I also have the Apple iPhone In-Ear earphones, with the microphone. I use those if I ever have to take the bus or train (but now that I drive and am not working atm I dont use them at all).
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
15.02.2011 - 08:32
Sonic MrSumo

I currently have two sets of headphones / earphones that I use. They are:

Sennheiser CX 300-II's (earphones) - Isolation is pretty good, and the bass is very very BIG! You actually may need to adjust the EQ on whatever you use to bring the lower frequencies down. All in all, a very comfortable and well-rounded set of earphones for people on the move, and at around the $90AUD mark, they're good value.

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 (headphones) - These are noise cancelling headphones. They take a single AAA battery, which actually sits in the left phone, so there is no extra battery pack that gets in the way. The audio quality of these is very good. I find I don't have to fiddle with EQ's too much in order to get them sounding great. Brilliant for home use, or even on the go, as they're not overly big for muffs! A little more expensive though at around the $250AUD mark.
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
15.02.2011 - 19:31
Wintersun616

Earbuds are completely a no-no. I use Koss Porta Pros. They sound great all around, look and feel good. And they're very cheap for their quality. I've used them for about 3 years now and have no plans to change.
16.02.2011 - 00:43
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I have Skullcandy headphones. Paid some good money for them but they work perfectly for listening to metal. Just enough bass but not to much. Good headphones.
18.02.2011 - 14:26
IronAngel

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 518 headphones for home listening. I thought I ought to get the better ones in the series (558 or 598) but after testing them at a store, it turns out I'm not enough of an audiophile to really notice the difference. Well, there was some difference but I couldn't say whether it was for the better or not. So I got these pretty cheap, just 103 ? (they seem to be in the 120 ? range usually).

My iPod has its original earbuds, I probably ought to get something else. Dunno what would be comfortable and unobtrusive on the street.
18.02.2011 - 21:03
Wintersun616

Written by IronAngel on 18.02.2011 at 14:26
My iPod has its original earbuds, I probably ought to get something else. Dunno what would be comfortable and unobtrusive on the street.

I'd recommend Koss Porta Pro. They're mobile, comfortable and sound very good. Also they're not expensive but are very good in sound quality.
18.02.2011 - 21:56
Luneth
Account deleted
Written by Wintersun616 on 18.02.2011 at 21:03

Written by IronAngel on 18.02.2011 at 14:26

I'd recommend Koss Porta Pro. They're mobile, comfortable and sound very good. Also they're not expensive but are very good in sound quality.

I hate right angled jacks, but I agree with the quality of those headphones, they are brilliant.
18.02.2011 - 22:42
IronAngel

Thanks. Yeah, they seem reasonably cheap. I'll look around.
20.02.2011 - 19:54
Kennoth

Shit, I'm amazed how many folks prefer headphones. I find them too huge and ugly tbh. I've always been more comfortable with earphones/buds/whatever, though like someone posted, they have a bad tendency for one to stop working, while the other one is fine. I must have like 3 or 4 pairs of earbuds with only one bud working, rendering them useless to me.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
20.02.2011 - 21:00
ANGEL REAPER

I use ear buds when i must (like in buss ) but beside that i like plain speaker sound from my 30W guitar amp.....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.03.2011 - 05:43
GraveRoot

I love headphones. I had the best pair in the world, no noise get in, no noise gets out. Slick black with super soft cushioning. Also made great ear muffs in the winter. Sadly, they got lost on a visit to Ottawa. It was a tragic day indeed.

So, to make up for it, I got a pair of ear buds. Originally I was terrified of earbuds, there was no way in hell a pair of cheap plastic doohickys being stuck in your ear directly pouring in sound was a good thing. But, after the first use, I was surprised. The kept the sound in remarkably well and I didn't have to turn them up to an ungodly volume to hear my music. I soon learned that it was only this pair capable of such wonders. Any other earbuds I used failed me miserably. I had lucked out at finding the world's best earbuds. I don't even know what brand they are.
25.03.2011 - 18:56
midland_don

Just ordered some Koss Porta Pro. Cheers for the recommendations.
26.03.2011 - 23:08
Vivi'

Written by midland_don on 25.03.2011 at 18:56

Just ordered some Koss Porta Pro. Cheers for the recommendations.

Nice! I wanted them, but there is no way I could have ordered them... I live in a stupid country!
10.07.2011 - 18:27
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
I got those SHITTY apple earbuds and I am saying shitty because it is impossible to stick them in your FUCKING ears, which makes them spill alot of sound, and you hear everything around you. You don't get the problem solved until you have the volume to the MAX. I WANT GOOD HEADPHONES! I"LL BUY THEM SOON AND SHIT ON THE CURRENT ONES>