Metal Storm logo
Headphones/Earbuds

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 14.11.2007 - 20:23
What kind of headphones/earbuds do you have for your metal? Are they good? Bad? Why?

The other day I got these PHILIPS ear buds. I thought they were going to be pretty good for $15, but they suck! The rubber things don't even stay in my ear! The chords are even the same size! I am going to return them for my money back!
10.07.2011 - 21:49
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath

Monster Beats, Great for Metal.

and apparently for hip hop too ...
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
24.07.2011 - 23:50
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Monster Beats are some of the worst headphones around, they are popular due to the bling factor, not based on sound quality.
26.07.2011 - 01:54
MetalSpider

Written by jupitreas on 24.07.2011 at 23:50

Monster Beats are some of the worst headphones around, they are popular due to the bling factor, not based on sound quality.

Agreed...compared to a lot of other headphones of the same price range (and even headphones that cost less), the monster beats are no good...and I have listened to them along with a wide range of headphones.

I mean if you like them and you enjoy their sound, then that's good...enjoy them. But there are definitely better headphones.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
26.07.2011 - 08:32
ToMegaTherion

As long as the sound is good i'm happy with whatever I can get my hands on. I on have a preference for ear-buds, because they are more portable, and I carry around enough shit in a normal day.
30.07.2011 - 20:28
Abattoir

I'm not realy picky about this, so I normally use the classic Sony's earbuds...loud, strong, clean sound and that's all I need.

31.07.2011 - 03:19
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I got for a couple of weeks ago some Philips headphones SHL5003
They are pretty cute, soft for the ears and the sound is pretty damn decent, it's at least way better than the philips earbuds I used so that is pretty damn good for me.
Also, I like the fact that they can be folded flat, it's easy to transport.

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.08.2011 - 13:34
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Does anyone use KOSS UR-20? These are cheap (around $20) and very popular as far as I know. They very durable as well. I have been using them for over three years now I think. I am happy with their sound quality, but again, I have never really tried anything more expensive.

For outside listening, I use Panasonic RP 240 earbuds. I've had them for around two years now, and I love them.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
17.08.2011 - 14:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
These are mine:

Not great but they do the trick. I do need to invest in new headphones though. I also use the classic Sony's earbuds for years now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.08.2011 - 17:45
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
I love the big headphones but I simply can't do anything with them on. To big to go jogging with, to big to do work with....argh......

Written by Zombie on 10.07.2011 at 21:49

Monster Beats, Great for Metal.

and apparently for hip hop too ...

I already feel my skin color turning black.
18.08.2011 - 18:39
Timm O)))

I like me some decent bass so i never use earbuds.
I bought Sennheiser HD 407 headphones about a year back.
Great sound for an affordable price.

What i also like about these headphones is that they don't completely cover my entire ear, if you know what i mean.
Headphones like that usually hurt my ears since my ears are pretty flappy...
18.02.2012 - 16:38
Krankheit
Account deleted
Bought a pair of AKG k450 headphones. Comfortable to wear and great sound aswell. Much better than previous my Koss headphones who broke all the time.

19.02.2012 - 17:48
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I use the earbuds that came with my Ipod.

They do the job.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
20.02.2012 - 14:18
FeskarN

I use Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones. Best headphones I have owned. I highly recommend this product.
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
07.04.2012 - 20:57
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I decided that earbuds aren't the way. my hearing is gotten worse and worse over the years because of them. Earbuds just can't contain the amount of volume it takes to make metal sound good. looking into headphones right meow.
----
Coldgrits
08.04.2012 - 14:59
Olli

Written by Boxcar Willy on 19.02.2012 at 17:48

I use the earbuds that came with my Ipod.

They do the job.

You sir are missing out, the standard Ipod headphones are awful!
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
08.04.2012 - 16:16
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Creative Hs350 and an old Behringer HPS 3000
30.01.2013 - 04:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Decided to make an upgrade from my old Sennheisers as the sound leakage on them was awful and I was sick of having to turn them down on public transport. And I wanted something a little further upmarket, so splashed out on a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones. Seem to be almost universally lauded and apparently have been around since 1985 so very much looking forward to getting these.

30.01.2013 - 15:02
Jtbmetal123

I use the Bose earbuds. Its the best quality in a earbud.
30.01.2013 - 15:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 30.01.2013 at 15:02

From what I've read and researched Bose head and earphones are overpriced for the quality they offer and are generally seen by the professional market to be not as good as other manufacturers. I think Sennheiser and Grado are generally considered to be the overall best. Of course it could be model specific. You might have a genuinely good pair of earphones.
30.01.2013 - 18:10
Jtbmetal123

Written by Guest on 30.01.2013 at 15:13

From what I've read and researched Bose head and earphones are overpriced for the quality they offer and are generally seen by the professional market to be not as good as other manufacturers. I think Sennheiser and Grado are generally considered to be the overall best. Of course it could be model specific. You might have a genuinely good pair of earphones.

I'm not sure what the model is but it's the best pair I've ever had. The iPod headphones suck. I either get Bose earbuds or Sony.
Sony makes great headphones. I've never tried grado. I'll have to check those out.
31.01.2013 - 16:15
MetalSpider

If you check out the website HeadFi...the people there know a lot about headphones. There are a lot of options out there. Grado might not be for everybody because of its sound signature, whereas Sennheiser might be more to your liking or vice versa. Its a good website to check out.
----

31.01.2013 - 17:12
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 30.01.2013 at 15:13

I checked out one of the popular Sennheiser models CX-300 II, and it sound like shit, even compared to my $20 Panasonic earbuds. Interesting choices that I tested are Klipsch S4 (around $60), but I did not the quality more superior to my Panasonic. Then a very nerdy choice would be Etymotic MC5 earbuds, which provide a very neutral sound. Maybe they are an acquired taste, but from my testing in the shop, I could not say I liked their bass-less clinic sounding.

I really wonder what Sennheiser CX 880 sound like... that's the next thing I would test.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.01.2013 - 17:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 31.01.2013 at 17:12

I checked out one of the popular Sennheiser models CX-300 II, and it sound like shit, even compared to my $20 Panasonic earbuds. Interesting choices that I tested are Klipsch S4 (around $60), but I did not the quality more superior to my Panasonic. Then a very nerdy choice would be Etymotic MC5 earbuds, which provide a very neutral sound. Maybe they are an acquired taste, but from my testing in the shop, I could not say I liked their bass-less clinic sounding.

I really wonder what Sennheiser CX 880 sound like... that's the next thing I would test.

Not surprised about those Sennheisers. They don't seem to be the most well received earphones out there, and those Etymotic MC5 ones even less so. If I was going for a pair of earbuds I'd probably fork out on a pair of Shures.
31.01.2013 - 17:59
MetalSpider

Written by Guest on 31.01.2013 at 17:32

Written by K✞ulu on 31.01.2013 at 17:12

Not surprised about those Sennheisers. They don't seem to be the most well received earphones out there, and those Etymotic MC5 ones even less so. If I was going for a pair of earbuds I'd probably fork out on a pair of Shures.

I have the Shure SE210's...they've got good sound quality. I like them a lot but they might be on the more expensive side. If your able to try them out...give them a shot. Again though...this is where HeadFi is a handy website. You tell the people what kind of earphones and sound you're looking for and they give good suggestions.
----

31.01.2013 - 18:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by MetalSpider on 31.01.2013 at 17:59

I have the Shure SE210's...they've got good sound quality. I like them a lot but they might be on the more expensive side. If your able to try them out...give them a shot. Again though...this is where HeadFi is a handy website. You tell the people what kind of earphones and sound you're looking for and they give good suggestions.

Of course it's not always easy to know what you're looking for soundwise. I guess ultimately there's a bit of trial and error involved.
31.01.2013 - 18:06
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Thanks for the suggestion. I am, in fact, looking for a decent substitution of my Panasonics. What player do you use with these earphones?
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

31.01.2013 - 23:06
MetalSpider

I used my (at the time) iPhone 3gs. I dont use those kind of earphones at the moment because im always on the road. When I am home I use big ass headphones lol!

The Shures sounded great on my iPhone. They are a little light on bass which you notice on some songs but not all songs.
----

01.02.2013 - 02:01
MetalSpider

Written by Guest on 31.01.2013 at 18:02

Of course it's not always easy to know what you're looking for soundwise. I guess ultimately there's a bit of trial and error involved.

With headphones its definitely trial and error. Its definitely good to go to a store and try different headphones. If thats not an option, than HeadFi is (for me) the other alternative. I bought my first good and major pair of headphones based on what people have suggested to me on HeadFi. I told them what I wanted, and they suggested various headphones and picked what seemed to be suggested the most, bought it and they're still some of the best headphones I own. Of course I was still buying based on faith since I had no way of listening to them before hand. But it was worth it.
----

01.02.2013 - 20:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm a finicky bastard and have just sent my Sony MDR-V6s back as they weren't what I really wanted for a number of reasons, partly because they lack portability but mostly because they're too quiet on my mp3 player and I don't want to have to fork out another £20 for a portable amp (which is more wires and more things to have to charge up). They were clean sounding but lacked a bit of personality too. I've also been reading up on Grado products and am a bit fascinated as to how they sound as they supposedly excellent for rock and metal music and there seems to be a bit of a fanbase with them as their products are quite unique sounding (along with a lack of comfort and poor construction too it seems, but sound is far more important for me), so going to try out a pair of iGrado neckband headphones. I've been using a pair of Sennheiser PMX60s for the last 3 or so years so I'm accustomed to neckband headphones (and I'm a bit funny about my hair being messed up) so these could be potentially ideal for me.

Incidentally, does anyone else own this or know anything about modding them? Particularly if the newer models have the foam inserts already removed which I've read might be the case.
03.02.2013 - 00:36
Capt. Fluntas

I have Sennheiser HD 201 Headphones and they work great for me
----
Life is one big meme.