Metal Storm logo
Writer's Life

Original post

Posted by , 05.06.2006 - 23:24
So, are there any writers here on Metal Storm?

I, personally, have been at it all my life. I wrote my first book when I was four (it was about a cow, by the way) and since then I have written thousands of pages, mostly on long epic sci-fi/fantasy novels. The one I am working on now is a re-worked version of a story I started when I was twelve.

Just like any other creative art, a writer writes compulsively. Once I am going strong, I write five or six hours a day. I have never published anything but opinion articles in papers, but that's asides the point for me. I don't really care about getting published. I do it because, well, I just do.

Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on writing, the writing life, and even troubles you may be having. Writing is generally something that is done alone and usually a writer is on his or her own when it comes to difficulties.
14.11.2006 - 03:37
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by The Alchemist on 14.11.2006 at 03:05

Thanks for your cousels my friend, yes, I agree with you, reading is really important, but the little problem I have is: I know there's a lot of good books to read, maybe an endless list, but I just don't know what to read, currently I'm reading The Lord Of The Rings, after that, I want to read some gothic, like Frankestein and The Castle of Otranto, but about science-fiction, I don't know any good books, so, can you recommend me some one?
As for music, well, since I listen to a lot of music styles, so, I have that advantage, and about the adaptation of reality, I agree too, it can be a really good strategy

Books, books... As you said the list ins endless. You can continue to read the Tolkien stuff, maybesome Anne Rice, Obviously Frankenstein, Alexandre Dumas, Stephen King, humm... I don't know... After all, it's a matter of taste.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
14.11.2006 - 04:18
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 14.11.2006 at 03:37

Written by The Alchemist on 14.11.2006 at 03:05

Thanks for your cousels my friend, yes, I agree with you, reading is really important, but the little problem I have is: I know there's a lot of good books to read, maybe an endless list, but I just don't know what to read, currently I'm reading The Lord Of The Rings, after that, I want to read some gothic, like Frankestein and The Castle of Otranto, but about science-fiction, I don't know any good books, so, can you recommend me some one?
As for music, well, since I listen to a lot of music styles, so, I have that advantage, and about the adaptation of reality, I agree too, it can be a really good strategy

Books, books... As you said the list ins endless. You can continue to read the Tolkien stuff, maybesome Anne Rice, Obviously Frankenstein, Alexandre Dumas, Stephen King, humm... I don't know... After all, it's a matter of taste.

Now thanks for your recommendations, I'll read some of this stuff, and then I'll get some ideas, I hope so :
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
14.11.2006 - 04:26
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by The Alchemist on 14.11.2006 at 04:18

Now thanks for your recommendations, I'll read some of this stuff, and then I'll get some ideas, I hope so :

No problemo partner. Just try and try and try. Howver I must remind you that not everybody was born to write, just as not everybody was born to draw or paint or play music (I can barely write and dreadfully draw). everyone has some "art vein". What matters is to which one is yours.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

18.03.2007 - 00:34
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Finally I decided to start to write, yesterday I wrote a short story, and today another one, I'm based mainly on fantasy, landscapes, actions, situations
I get inspiration when I hear some music, and when everything around is completely silent. wow! then I get some really good ideas, well, my wish of getting ideas became true
----

Sensorium - Epica
18.03.2007 - 01:04
tulkas
el parcero
I also like to write too, although I hevn't written a lot of stuff. I mostly have stuff written on the notebook I use for the univeristy, like sketches for stories, ideas, and stuff like that. The onle 'serious' thing I wrote was a theater play I had to do for a class, and came out well. Recently I also posted on my myspace blog a short story I wrote (it's in spanish BTW).
I usually like to write to just put my mind somewhere else, to 'excersise' the mind, when I want to get stuff out of me... there are meny reasons to put here. The fact is I love to do it, and will keep on doing, to hopefully someday be able to write and even publish something. As long as just 1 person likes it, I will feel like I've succeeded.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
18.03.2007 - 05:12
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by tulkas on 18.03.2007 at 01:04

I mostly have stuff written on the notebook I use for the univeristy, like sketches for stories, ideas, and stuff like that

I think that this is an excellent idea to start my friend, that's what I'm doing, just that there are many ideas, so, I write a short story. I'm going to post one of them in my msn space and I'll let you know to read it
----

Sensorium - Epica
18.03.2007 - 23:41
tulkas
el parcero
Written by The Alchemist on 18.03.2007 at 05:12

Written by tulkas on 18.03.2007 at 01:04

I mostly have stuff written on the notebook I use for the univeristy, like sketches for stories, ideas, and stuff like that

I think that this is an excellent idea to start my friend, that's what I'm doing, just that there are many ideas, so, I write a short story. I'm going to post one of them in my msn space and I'll let you know to read it

you be sure to let me know when you finish it, I'd really like to read it. BTW, I already have another sketch I just have to pass to the pc and post it. I'll let you know too when it's finished
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
24.04.2007 - 19:21
Pinusar
Account deleted
Good to hear that some of you write things, you seem to be quite talented and serious writers. I see there are quite interesting themes you write about. So keep going, everybody!

I like books and reading and after reading some books I have got ideas that I have wanted to write down but I had never done so until now. Well, actually I had written a few small things before but they are of no significance. I've just started to write so I'm not ready yet to answer the full questionaire I think. I prefer to write with pen, it gives me more connection to the things I write and I write to express some of my thoughts, feelings or just to use my imagination. I currently have only written the beginning of a novel, I think it can be classified as fantasy but I also try to add other elements to it. So far I can see that my style is not very good, perhaps I should rephrase some parts later on. I like writing, its good for relaxing and with it you can give life to some of your ideas
25.04.2007 - 03:38
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Written by Guest on 24.04.2007 at 19:21

Good to hear that some of you write things, you seem to be quite talented and serious writers. I see there are quite interesting themes you write about. So keep going, everybody!

I like books and reading and after reading some books I have got ideas that I have wanted to write down but I had never done so until now. Well, actually I had written a few small things before but they are of no significance. I've just started to write so I'm not ready yet to answer the full questionaire I think. I prefer to write with pen, it gives me more connection to the things I write and I write to express some of my thoughts, feelings or just to use my imagination. I currently have only written the beginning of a novel, I think it can be classified as fantasy but I also try to add other elements to it. So far I can see that my style is not very good, perhaps I should rephrase some parts later on. I like writing, its good for relaxing and with it you can give life to some of your ideas

Your point is really similar to mine, I love books, I read, and then I get ideas, and I'd like to write something, for a long time I was undecided about writing, because I thought that I wouldn't be good at that. Then someday I decided to write, getting inspiration with music, and ideas from the books I like the most, and well, until now I've written 4 short stories, and they turned out to be good, at least that's what people have told me. In my experience the only thing I can tell you is write, write and write, that's the only way to get ideas and to improve, you'll see that after having written something some ideas appear
----

Sensorium - Epica
06.07.2007 - 17:55
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I've taken a break writing poetry. Especially in English. I want to try something in my native language, but I'm, for the moment, experimenting with meter, rhythm and other formal aspects. French symbolism has become a great source of inspiration lately. Still, I have to grow a lot...

For prose, I've started writing a novel. I wanted something a little experimental, especially after reading the works of Mr. Joyce. So I'm working with some stream-of-consciousness. I had tried writing one before (though not on the same theme I'm working right now), but it didn't turned out very well and I gave up for the moment. Right now I'm finishing the second chapter and so far spans around 50 pages on Microsoft Word. The themes are a bit awkward, involving things from physics, personal isolation from society, hallucinations, people's problems with sexual frustration and the supernatural. I hope to translate it into English as well after I'm done, because there are very few readers for literature in Brazil...
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
06.07.2007 - 19:11
Pinusar
Account deleted
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 06.07.2007 at 17:55

I've taken a break writing poetry. Especially in English. I want to try something in my native language, but I'm, for the moment, experimenting with meter, rhythm and other formal aspects. French symbolism has become a great source of inspiration lately. Still, I have to grow a lot...

For prose, I've started writing a novel. I wanted something a little experimental, especially after reading the works of Mr. Joyce. So I'm working with some stream-of-consciousness. I had tried writing one before (though not on the same theme I'm working right now), but it didn't turned out very well and I gave up for the moment. Right now I'm finishing the second chapter and so far spans around 50 pages on Microsoft Word. The themes are a bit awkward, involving things from physics, personal isolation from society, hallucinations, people's problems with sexual frustration and the supernatural. I hope to translate it into English as well after I'm done, because there are very few readers for literature in Brazil...

Sounds very interesting, especially the choice of subjects the novel deals with, I think I would enjoy reading it because these appear to be the themes I like, especially if blended in one story. I'm quite surprised you've managed to write so much already because I don't know many people(who aren't professional writers) who have enough patience to write so long texts. How long has it taken you to write it.

I myslef, haven't written almost anything in a long time. Today I wrote 4 lines when I was composing a song and I didn't know how to continue it, so I wrote some lines to give me a better idea of what atmosphere it has.
06.07.2007 - 20:32
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i hope i will be a writer one day...i already have some - i'd say nice - ideas of my own fantasy world called Emdaus...unfortunately only in czech language and im somehow not planing to translate them yet ) so i cannot share them with u and show them here...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.07.2007 - 07:08
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Same with me, what I've written is only in spanish... but translating the things one write is worth doing, as one knows exactly what one mean and the way that corresponds in other language
----

Sensorium - Epica
08.07.2007 - 19:57
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Written by Guest on 06.07.2007 at 19:11

Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 06.07.2007 at 17:55

Sounds very interesting, especially the choice of subjects the novel deals with, I think I would enjoy reading it because these appear to be the themes I like, especially if blended in one story. I'm quite surprised you've managed to write so much already because I don't know many people(who aren't professional writers) who have enough patience to write so long texts. How long has it taken you to write it.

I myslef, haven't written almost anything in a long time. Today I wrote 4 lines when I was composing a song and I didn't know how to continue it, so I wrote some lines to give me a better idea of what atmosphere it has.

Oh, really? would you? thanks, that's a very nice support for me. Well, I just looked into the file's properties and it seems it was created in the 24th of March, 2007. It's a somewhat slow process as I usually write the notes and the first versions of the text in my university notebook when the class is boring or while I'm waiting in the break or before classes start. Then when I have time at home I type it up on MS Word, fixing and altering some things in the process. Then some time later I review what I wrote and alter/add/remove some parts, as well as fixing mistakes. I'm about to start chapter 3 and I plan on writing 4 more chapters (I have a scheme drawn up already) for this first part of the book. Part II and III will have 7 chapters as well. There's a long road ahead. It's good because such a long project keeps my mind active when I have nothing to do.

Btw, I know how it is to write a couple of lines and not being able to continue them. :/ It's awful, especially when these initial lines do sound good.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
14.07.2007 - 06:40
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by The Alchemist on 08.07.2007 at 07:08

Same with me, what I've written is only in spanish... but translating the things one write is worth doing, as one knows exactly what one mean and the way that corresponds in other language

same here. What I've written is in spanish, and I'm just lazy to translate it. It takes a lot of time in order to find the right meaning in the target language of the phrase you worte in your own language.
----

08.09.2007 - 09:06
Ellie
Account deleted
I write a lot. I think my passion of writing began when I started having this obsession with the past; well most importantly my own past. When I write I might begin talking about what I did that day but then finish talking about my thoughts on the world. I love to write because I lend up learning more about myself.