Metal Storm logo
Significance of Lyrics

Original post

Posted by , 26.11.2007 - 07:04
I think many people including myself underestimate the lyrics. I know best part of metal is the music but lately i started listening to albums with lyrics to them and reading along. I think this makes a much better experience and helps to get into the music. I was wondering if you guys ever do that?
20.01.2013 - 22:53
Mad Arab666

I find lyrics aren't to important to me, but bands that do have good lyrics or lyrics that I can connect with get extra brownie points in terms of enjoyment.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
21.01.2013 - 00:59
Erik M.

Well, to be honest lyrics aren't important for me at all. It's all about the music and vocals.

Even if I had the time to read along while listening to music, I'd probably still wouldn't do that. One of the few bands that does have rather interesting lyrics is Ayreon, simply because they tell a story. Mikael of Opeth wrote the lyrics of Watershed in one single night. Often the lyrics don't even make sense. Opeth is the perfect example of a band that makes brilliant music (or at least used to make) with meaningless and dumb lyrics.

When listening to purely doom metal, lyrics could add to the experience, but the lyrics of black/death metal vocalists can't even be heard (easily) most of the time, so why bother?
10.03.2013 - 00:52
skrog1

It matters on the band and the song. I mean, lets face it: Cannibal Corpse lyrics are a dime a dosen and not meant to be taken seriously. It's way more about the agression to the voice that backs the agression of the music. That being said, some songs and bands are very much supposed to be listened to and taken seriously. Most of Tool's lyrics should be listened to. Slayer's Dittohead is DEFINITELY meant to be taken seriously. It just matters.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
06.12.2016 - 03:43
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Hey there, i didn't find a better thread so,

Is anyone having problems with Darklyrics.com ? some pages doesn't open for me and it'e been happend in the last month or so
specially with bands pages, but also few times less with albums pages
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
06.12.2016 - 08:57
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 06.12.2016 at 03:43

Is anyone having problems with Darklyrics.com ? some pages doesn't open for me and it'e been happend in the last month or so
specially with bands pages, but also few times less with albums pages

You must be entering in when they were adding lyrics to database.

Hope you know the only way they can constantly keep up-to-date lyrics database is when they're upgrading it. They're brilliant at it.
17.12.2016 - 16:57
Capt. Fluntas

I wish I had more patience to get into the lyrics but I don't. I care about the music, the vocals and the general vibe of the music. I've only really gotten into a handful of bands' lyrics like Metallica's have some deep meaning concerning society, that stuff really hits hard.

Also I noticed that the album cover is important, I really love when there's actual effort put into it, for example Dark Tranquillity's newest album cover is amazing, it adds something to the music itself which is weird I know.
----
Life is one big meme.
17.12.2016 - 17:00
Capt. Fluntas

Written by Metal_Militia on 10.06.2008 at 07:35

//Its very important to not overlook the lyrics in any song. Probably the most important and impactful part of a song to me. Thats why i love the bands i do so much. Their lyrics have a great significance and many moods. Especially Death Great thread//

True, Death has some really great moments which for me doesn't happen all that often, a lot of bands have lyrics that don't resonate with me or I don't care enough to get into them.
----
Life is one big meme.
16.01.2017 - 09:28
Bauds

Overall lyrics don't matter massively to me (I need to enjoy the rest of it regardless of the lyrics), but bad lyrics can ruin a song, fun lyrics make it better and lyrics that either tell an interesting story or that you can maybe relate to really can make a huge difference. I also like it when for whatever reason you know for example a death metal band is genuinely angry or bitter, it's more cathartic to listen to for me.

Having said that, a lot of is nostalgia from when I was a teenager and heard stuff like Sepultura, the lyrics of whom helped me develop as a person. Always simple stuff, the only exception I can think of is Primus (maybe Clutch too), where lyrics can mean several different things at once and you can spend a while working it out.
16.01.2017 - 11:23
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bauds on 16.01.2017 at 09:28

bad lyrics can ruin a song, fun lyrics make it better and lyrics that either tell an interesting story or that you can maybe relate to really can make a huge difference.

I agree.

Lyrics, for me, have always carried a huge baggage when it comes to listening to an album. Many a times i come across records which are absolutely fantastic with horrible explanation of lyrical content, I lower the point. As much as bands focus on having a great 'production', they should really put an energy into 'lyrical' department as well.

Megadeth's Dystopia is one where I felt they were astonishing with lyrics and after very long time, it really connected with record's personality. Suicidal Tendencies's The World Gone Mad, on the other hand, is one where they absolutely terrible with lyrics.

My point is that lyrics should speak volumes about record's disposition. One of the aspect where band shouldn't go easy with.
01.11.2017 - 22:06
BetulaObscura

Good lyrics can be kind of poetry. Proper lyrics can stand alone without the music just like a poem.
Definitely lyrics are important and may add many atmosphere and meanings to the music.
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"