04. Between the Sheets
05. Sober
06. Cross the Line
07. Pulse 04
08. Falling
09. What I Need
10. One More Time
11. White Shadow

Voyager is really original band from Australia and for me they're probably one of the most surprising combos that I had the luck to review since a lot of time. Their first release "Element V" was a really cool piece of music and I can tell you that you'll not be disappointed by their new album which mixes with a lot of intelligence Power and Progressive music. This is classy one more time and I hope that their signature with Dockyard 1 will help them to become famous!

If you like Power or Progressive Metal I'm sure that you'll like the new Voyager. The bands use to play an intelligent mix of melodic Power Metal which means that you'll be able to find a lot of catchy choruses but they have also a lot of keyboards and electronic sounds in their compositions. Since that their songs aren't easy and all but not commercial (even if the choruses can be really catchy) "Univers" is a really pleasant album. This new album is deep and complex a bit Epic and in general "happy" and really "dancing", don't except any kind of complex Prog here, the songs directly go to their goal and it's convincing. Modern with all its electronic sonorities but also classic with its Power Metal side, "Univers" is a lovely album extremely original because it's not really easy to find something comparable. A song like High Existence which flirt with Folk, or "Sober" which is a bit more proggy are two perfect example to describe the album. "Univers" is varied and not linear but really easy of access too and will convince all the ones who like Prog but aren't too much into this kind of music, it's a good compromise between a lot of music.

The production of the album is good but a bit loud sometime and could be better, though all in all "Univers" don't suffer of any other real problems. I like the voice of the singer and the interpretations of the other musicians are clean as hell anyway so maybe that you'll not enter in the musical world of Voyager but in that case I will not really understand why except if of course, you're totally hermetic to this kind of music.

The new Voyager is a confirmation of all the great things that we've heard about their first album. If you remember, I already said that this combo was promising, I wasn't wrong, "Univers" confirms all my words and I'm sure that you'll like it a lot if you're just a bit open minded. Don't miss this release if you want to listen to something new and original.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by Jeff | 26.11.2007

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 71 users
27.11.2007 - 10:36
GT
Coffee!!
Only heard the song Sober which I downloaded from their website. It was really good so if the rest of the album is like that it's a must have for me
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
27.11.2007 - 12:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I liked their first album. Lets see what I think about this one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
29.11.2007 - 18:24
Torelli

They have done it again, but I must confess that I'm a little biased to "element V" and like it better, even though this is clearly a more solid and mature album of theirs.

Ever waiting, Cross the line and pulse 04 are worth alone to buy this album, but the hole record is really good actually.
30.11.2007 - 08:19
Rating: 6
b0000mst1ck

i'm highly impressed by this band, and i'm actually surprised i haven't heard of them before. their musicianship precedes their popularity, for sure. i really like daniel's vocal abilities and the melodic, but not technical feel of this album. definitely a great kick-back-and-relax release.
06.01.2008 - 10:56
MetalMiker
Account deleted
I saw these guys live in November and it was an experience to be remembered. These guys are truly talented and the album was perfect as far as I'm concerned. I had it playing on repeat for weeks. UniVers is extremely original and all the songs seem very natural in the way they're written and played. It's not overly technical, but the songwriting is top class.
06.01.2008 - 12:54
Opium
Account deleted
Quote:
something new and original

Hell yeah! And Australian

I'm yet to hear this album, but at least it shows our scene has something that's lacking elsewhere as of late
30.05.2011 - 08:37
Rating: 9
Milena
gloom cookie
They mix stuff I've heard a million times (and not in metal music) with stuff I've never, ever heard and they're fuckin' weird. And I love it.
----
7.0 means the album is good
06.06.2014 - 04:24
Rating: 6
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
*If you like Power Metal I'm sure that you'll like the new Voyager.

There's so much cheese here that if you don't like power you're bound to barf.
22.07.2023 - 03:29
Rating: 7
tintinb

Very original, very unique. Always keeps you guessing what the next note is going to be.
----
Leeches everywhere.

Hits total: 7544 | This month: 9