Metal Storm logo
Sabaton

06.06.2006 - 20:42
Baz Anderson

I am not sure how many people know Sabaton, but people that went to see Edguy and Dragonforce on their last tour should have seen them open the show.

Sabaton are a traditional heavy/power metal band from Sweden and I think are very good indeed!
On their site, they just have one album listed - 'Primo Victoria' from 2005
but they have recorded other albums that were ignored because they thought they weren't very good or whatever - but there is an album 'Fist For Fight' which is like a compilation of early songs which I think is rather good too.

They are a couple of months away from releasing another album 'Attero Dominatus' which I cant wait to hear.

I hope if there is anyone that doesnt know them reading this - they will listen to a few tracks or something and hopefully get into them.
I think they are going to stick around for a bit - I hope they will anyway.

So tell me what you think of the band and anything else you want to say - news on the new album, anything.
Thanks!
06.06.2006 - 21:32
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Sabaton is pretty good ass kicking band,I got Primo victoria
they got few very nice songs like Into the fire,countersrtike,Wolfpack
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
06.06.2006 - 21:38
Bas
Retired Staff
dont worry Baz, they will stick for a bit
Primo Victoria has three reviews on metal-archives and an average of 96%..

i love Primo Victoria, everything about it is just aout right, definitely my favourite powermetal cd from 2005, actually, one of my alltime favourite powermetal releases, lol, anyway for everyone who doesnt know them yet, check them out
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
06.06.2006 - 21:57
Baz Anderson

yes - do!
i got my 'Primo Victoria' signed when i saw them live, so that was an extra big bonus
its just a shame they didnt have a big slot at all
07.06.2006 - 01:49
Cybertrash

Death in the shape of a Panzer Battalion!

I think Primo Victoria is a kick ass album and I concider Sabaton one of the finest swedish heavy/power metal acts. Good Grave Digger-like vocals and straight in the face guitar riffs.

For those who wants to listen to a few tracks:
http://www.myspace.com/sabaton1
----
Dibbukim - Az a foygl un a goylem tantsn, out on GM Music April 25th!

http://www.dibbukim.com
07.06.2006 - 08:32
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Ive heard the song 'Primo Victoria', indeed very catchy material, i love this song.
08.06.2006 - 22:39
Baz Anderson

they seem to be keeping the new album quiet though
i know there is one coming out rather soon, next month or something - but there doesnt seem to be anything about it at all
its weird. i hope it does get released - they have had problems with albums before..
08.06.2006 - 23:27
Warman
Erotic Stains
Sabaton is a very good band with powerful and catchy songs.
----
09.06.2006 - 19:33
Daru Jericho

I haven't listened to the entire album Primo Victoria since February or something like that but I remember it being awesome. With vocals that aren't usually in power metal (similar to those in Firewind, I'd say) this band stands out a lot. Musically, they're great to listen to too. The power metal genre needs bands like this to kep the genre refreshing, creative and not boring Rhapsody rip offs.

I'd like to hear the other Sabaton stuff that doesn't get a mention on their site though. When I first heard about them I was under the impression that they only had one album. New material will be interesting to hear too.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

09.06.2006 - 22:43
Dragonheart
Account deleted
I heard them on the Edguy tour, and at first didn't think too highly of them. However, I was probably just standing too close to the speakers to properly hear the melodies I listened to "Primo Victoria" later and found it pretty good. The title track is awesome, bombastic power metal, just my style Wolfpack rocks, and Metal Machine is also great stuff - figuring out where those lyrics were taken from is quite funny too
11.06.2006 - 02:58
Baz Anderson

yeh, i just want more Sabaton stuff to listen to now
the stuff before 'Primo Victoria' isnt exactly bad either - its rather good

i am just really glad that i decided to buy the album when i saw them and get it signed instead of another Dragonforce top or something
11.06.2006 - 22:29
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Daru Jericho on 09.06.2006 at 19:33

(similar to those in Firewind, I'd say)

I'd like to hear the other Sabaton stuff that doesn't get a mention on their site though.

simialar to firewind? are you sure about that? it's a long time ago since i last listened to them bt when i last did the vocals in firewind annoyed me very much, however i simply love those of Sabaton..

as for older stuff, i have two older songs from first for fight, they sound quite much "rougher" then on primo victoria, but still good though, if you want i'll send them to you later
----
12.06.2006 - 17:41
Daru Jericho

Written by Bas on 11.06.2006 at 22:29

Written by Daru Jericho on 09.06.2006 at 19:33

(similar to those in Firewind, I'd say)

I'd like to hear the other Sabaton stuff that doesn't get a mention on their site though.

simialar to firewind? are you sure about that? it's a long time ago since i last listened to them bt when i last did the vocals in firewind annoyed me very much, however i simply love those of Sabaton..

as for older stuff, i have two older songs from first for fight, they sound quite much "rougher" then on primo victoria, but still good though, if you want i'll send them to you later

Hm...maybe I should have said that the vocals reminded me of Firewind, in the way that they were roughened deeper ones compared to the falsetto high pitched ones usually found in various power metal bands.

And when you're on MSN I'll ask for the old mp3s Thanks, bud.
----

15.06.2006 - 00:31
Baz Anderson

not long before the new album now..
is anyone else excited or am i the only one? haha
15.06.2006 - 03:28
Daru Jericho

I'm looking forward to hearing their new stuff even though I'm not a massive fan of them.
----

15.06.2006 - 13:07
Bas
Retired Staff
i´m looking forward to it ALOT,
after having seen the cover art of it i wonder if it will be quite alot heavier then primo victoria
i wonder if it will sound quite different or not, in either case i know that they will do something awesome
----
15.06.2006 - 14:13
Baz Anderson

yeh. i get the feeling from then that they are the sort of band that will sound rather similar on all their albums, i mean like not change so much
but we will have to see.
i want them to come back here so i can see them peform a proper set - they only had time for three songs 'Panzer Batallion' 'Into The Fire' and 'Primo Victoria' when i saw them
16.06.2006 - 20:55
Pierre Tombale

I've seen them on an Edguy / DragonForce concert aswell.
Didn't know them a minute before that. I think their music is quite good. Exactly my cup of tea. Haven't bought any of their stuff so far.
18.06.2006 - 12:30
madgarry
Account deleted
ive been into them for a long time now, I have fist and Primo both great albums and am looking forward to the newie
25.06.2006 - 23:55
Bas
Retired Staff
SABATON: Song-By-Song Description Of 'Attero Dominatus' - May 18, 2006

SABATON singer Joakim Brodèn has issued a track-by-track description of the band's third full-length album, "Attero Dominatus", due on July 28 via Black Lodge Records. It reads as follows:

Track 1 - "Attero Dominatus": "This song is what SABATON is all about. A fast song in 6/8 beat and one hell of a chorus with really powerful choirs. (The song is about the destruction of Berlin right at the end of the war.)"

Track 2 - "Nuclear Attack": "All of you who saw us on the last tour knows this track. A real crowdbreaker/sing-along tune. (The song is about the nuclear bombs dropped over japan, mainly the second over one Nagasaki.)"

Track 3 - "Rise of Evil": "A slow but f*cking heavy and epic song (over 8 min long !?!) with killer riffs and solos. (The song is about how Hitler came to power in Germany.)"

Track 4 - "In the Name of God": "Mid-tempo heavy metal ground punder! SABATON raising hell with a sing-along chorus. (The song is about the terrorist bastards who kill innocent people in 'in the name of god'.)"

Track 5 - "We Burn": "A fast double-bass drum tune with fast riffing and aggressive lyrics. (A real short but f*cking intensive tune) (The song is sung from the perspective of Slobodan Milosevic.)"

Track 6 - "Angels Calling": "Kind of an "old-school hard rock" tune with an amazing atmosphere, almost impossible to stand still when you hear it. (The song is about the trench war in WW1.)"

Track 7 - "Back in Control": "Amazing fast track with really powerful riffing and one hell of a sing along chorus. Probably a crowd live favourite. (The song is about the Falklands war and how the brits regained control.)"

Track 8 - "A Light in the Black": "Sing-along mid-tempo tune with a great groove and amazing choirs. (The song is tribute to the U.N. soldiers around the world.)"

Track 9 - "Metal Crüe": "A really catchy (and funny) party-track in the same vein as 'Metal Machine', bit quite different. (The song is about dif#%"¤"/") (¤DJ/(¤&"JJ)#"/ ERROR /)"

The CD's artwork is once again being handled by Mattias Norén of Progart Media. On May 13-14, a music video for the album's projected title track was filmed.
----
25.06.2006 - 23:59
Bas
Retired Staff
even though the cd is out on the 28th of july i already have found a version of it (dont worry, i will order it aswell as soon as its out) and if anyone reeeeally cant wait for it PM me and i can send a link, but dont forget that such great bands need support worthy of their music

i have only listened to it twice (for primo victoria i needed quite a few listens, but liked it more with every one) but till now all i can say is this, its still Sabaton, the vocals are simialar, the build of the songs are the same, the riffs are simialar, the lyrics and still in the same vein etc.
so its nothing new, but that doesnt matter, if its more of the same i gladly take it where Sabaton is concerned
----
26.06.2006 - 14:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
I got some stuff from Bas2, and I love it!! It is real good stuff.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.06.2006 - 03:04
Baz Anderson

well that sounds really interesting.
the dates have been all messed up adn stuff though, and even when it is released - i dont know if i will actually be able to get hold of one. i will definatly try though!
i cant wait to hear it!!
27.06.2006 - 20:19
Torelli

I'm amazed that they are so well-known by now. It wasn't too long ago they were barely known in Dalacarlia, and look at them now...it seems like the hole world know who these guys are... I guess with good reveiws you can come far...
28.06.2006 - 18:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
And with good music too.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.06.2006 - 20:30
Baz Anderson

haha yes, of course good music
i dont think they are well known at all though - i mean look at how many different people have posted in here. its more or less the same people over again
they will become a lot more well known if their next album is brilliant as well i feel
29.06.2006 - 19:50
Bas
Retired Staff
well the reason that they are better known now is their tour with dragonforce and edguy i suppose
----
29.06.2006 - 19:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
And to people like Bas2, who makes people like me fall in love with Sabaton.
----

20.07.2006 - 13:13
Eternal Flames

I have only heard their Primo Victoria album but I must say it's very good. It's not the ordinary Power Metal with high-pitched vocals and fantasy lyrics. In fact, I really do enjoy their idea of War themed lyrics. I only heard them recently after a friend recommended them to me and I really must say they are a great Power Metal band. Vocals are more aggressive but the songs are still very catchy.
21.07.2006 - 14:22
Baz Anderson

it looks like the new album has been pushed back even further now though as well
its back another week here.
i hope there arent any problems with it or anything like that, i am looking forward to having it!