The original post

Posted by animal on 01.12.2007 at 17:54
Quote:
Sudan protesters: Execute teacher
Story Highlights
Some demonstrators demand execution of Gillian Gibbons, 54

Gibbons found guilty of insulting religion, sentenced to 15 days in jail

Teacher arrested after her class named teddy bear "Mohammed"

KHARTOUM, Sudan (CNN) -- Hundreds of angry protesters, some waving ceremonial swords from trucks equipped with loud speakers, gathered Friday outside the presidential palace to denounce a teacher whose class named a teddy bear "Mohammed" -- some calling for her execution.

The protesters, which witnesses said numbered close to 1,000, swore to fight in the name of their prophet.

Gillian Gibbons, 54, was given 15 days in jail late Thursday after she was convicted of insulting religion. She was cleared of charges of inciting hatred and showing contempt for religious beliefs, her lawyer, Ali Ajeb, said.

Ajeb said they planned to appeal the sentence, which begins from the date she was detained, Nov. 25. Including Friday, she has 10 more days in jail.

British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said he was "extremely disappointed" that the charges were not dismissed.

Meanwhile senior British lawmakers were en route to Khartoum to try to secure Gibbons' early release.

The two members of the House of Lords were set to arrive in Khartoum about 5 a.m. Saturday (9 p.m. Friday ET), Time magazine reporter Sam Dealey told CNN, citing British and Sudanese sources.

They will meet with government ministers and Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, he said.

Sources close to the British government and the Republican Palace in Sudan say it is expected that a deal will be reached, and Gibbons will be released, Dealey said. Visas for the two, he said, were granted "in record time ... by Sudanese standards."

Friday's demonstrations began as worshippers spilled out of mosques in the capital after Friday prayers. They marched to the palace, which is on the same street as Unity High School, where Gibbons taught grade school students. Those who named the bear were 7 years old.

A heavy police presence was maintained outside the school, but no demonstrators were there. Watch men brandish knives, shout "

Armed with swords and sticks, the protesters shouted: "By soul, by blood, I will fight for the Prophet Mohammad. Western journalists who attempted to talk to the protesters were ushered away by men in plain clothes. Gibbons is being held in a women's prison in the Omdurman district of Khartoum, and she will be deported at the end of her prison term, British consular officials told CNN.

British Embassy staff said they were giving the teacher -- from the northern British city of Liverpool -- full consular assistance.

In leaflets distributed earlier this week by Muslim groups, the protesters promised a "popular release of anger" at Friday's protests.

The leaflets condemned Gibbons as an "infidel" and accused her of "the pollution of children's mentality" by her actions.

Omer Mohammed Ahmed Siddig, the Sudanese ambassador to Britain, was summoned for a second time to meet with the British foreign secretary late Thursday after the court's ruling.

Miliband also spoke to the Sudanese acting foreign minister for 15 minutes on the telephone during the meeting, the British Foreign Office said.

"Our priority now is to ensure Ms. Gibbons' welfare and we will continue to provide consular assistance to her," Miliband said in a statement.

The Foreign Office said there would be further talks with the Sudanese government Friday.

Gibbons was arrested Sunday after she asked her class to name the stuffed animal as part of a school project, the Foreign Office said. She had faced charges under Article 125 of Sudan's constitution, the law relating to insulting religion and inciting hatred.

She could have received a sentence of 40 lashes, a fine or jail term of up to a year, according to the Foreign Office.

British newspapers condemned Gibbons' conviction, with the Daily Telegraph calling for the recall of the British ambassador from Khartoum and sanctions against the heads of the Sudanese government.Watch a report on reactions to the verdict "

In an editorial, the tabloid newspaper, The Sun, said Gibbons' jailing was a "grotesque insult to Islam" and called Gibbons "an innocent abroad."

Four vans filled with riot police were waiting outside the courthouse at Thursday's hearing, but there were no disturbances. Staff from Gibbons' school, including director Robert Boulos, were present.

Defense counsel later confirmed that the complaint against Gibbons came from Sarah Khawad, a secretary at the school.

Gibbons has been working at the school, popular with wealthy Sudanese and expatriates, since August, after leaving her position as deputy head teacher at a primary school in Liverpool this summer, Boulos said.

He said Gibbons asked the children to pick their favorite name for the new class mascot, which she was using to aid lessons about animals and their habitats.

I guess, going by their logic, that they'd also have to execute the kids who named the bear.

Page 2 of 2

Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust

05.12.2007 at 12:52
So every person who names their child Mohammed or converts to Islam and changes their name to Mohammed is commiting blasphemy?
GT
Coffee!!

05.12.2007 at 21:49
@Introspekrieg: I've been thinking the same thing...but I guess those fundamentalists haven't
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun

07.12.2007 at 18:55
Geez... it's just impossible to be a teacher nowadays, isn't it?

This reminds me of that time when the Pope said that Islam was a religion that incites violence and, in turn, they death-threatened him. Or the Danish cartoonists that were also death-threatened.
It's just a fucking teddy bear...
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
animal

14.12.2007 at 18:23
----
"I got 1,000 years of power! Come and get me!" Robert McLain- Royal Oak, MI
Asphyxia
Account deleted
  18.12.2007 at 20:09
@Animal: HAHA Did you make that or find it?
Lord TJ

18.12.2007 at 20:19
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 07.12.2007 at 18:55

Geez... it's just impossible to be a teacher nowadays, isn't it?

This reminds me of that time when the Pope said that Islam was a religion that incites violence and, in turn, they death-threatened him. Or the Danish cartoonists that were also death-threatened.
It's just a fucking teddy bear...

These muslim extremists need to stop being pussies and crybaby's about everything. What the pope said about them is funny because im assuming they took offense, and in turn do exactly as they are described.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
  18.12.2007 at 20:26
Written by Guest on 18.12.2007 at 20:09

Whoever made it better be careful... they'll be after him next...
Lord TJ

18.12.2007 at 20:32
Written by Guest on 18.12.2007 at 20:26

Maybe thats why Animal hasnt replied yet?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

Skeggjadr
Account deleted
  18.12.2007 at 20:59
Written by Lord TJ on 18.12.2007 at 20:32

The scary bit is that even though we're joking, you can actually imagine those same people calling for the death of the person that made that cartoon... it's just scary...
Lord TJ

18.12.2007 at 21:00
Your right, why do people even think like this in the first place? Do they not realize that death penalty for anything is just not right?
----

animal

19.12.2007 at 07:49
Written by Lord TJ on 18.12.2007 at 20:32

Maybe I did draw it. Of course they'd have to find me first.
----
Black Winter

19.12.2007 at 12:26
I don't know about this 'animal',I don't find it offensive,but even if it was,I couldn't care less,so should other muslims,because the prophet doesn't need somebody defending him,neither God,nor Islam,that's what ignorants and mob in sudan and pakistan don't realize.You see how a simple 'nothing' can be a story and an event due to those sudanese protesters and that silly CNN...
----
Once the people decides to live, destiny will definetly obey..

T u n i s i a F r e e !
animal

20.12.2007 at 03:55
Written by Black Winter on 19.12.2007 at 12:26

I don't know about this 'animal',I don't find it offensive,but even if it was,I couldn't care less,so should other muslims,because the prophet doesn't need somebody defending him,neither God,nor Islam,that's what ignorants and mob in sudan and pakistan don't realize.You see how a simple 'nothing' can be a story and an event due to those sudanese protesters and that silly CNN...

Yeah, exactly my point. It seems that religious people have gotten a lot loonier in recent years, raising hell(no pun intended) over things that really shouldn't matter- The Satanic Verses. The Last Tempttation Of Christ, Harry Potter, the Mohammed cartoons, and now Christian fundies are griping about The Golden Compass. Of course the extremist clergy in all faiths use crap like this to divert people's attention away from REAL problems, like poverty and corruption. Sometimes I wish the "Rapture" would hurry up and get these people off the planet and leave the rest of us in peace.

I wonder what would happen if a schoolchild in the Bible Belt here named their teddy bear Jesus.
----
Desertman
Account deleted
  01.02.2008 at 07:37
if a teacher named a dog jesus
i think its bad, even i'm not a christian
cos a (teacher) always should know better

islam is a holy religion not a (radical party)
even if few ppl violently express thier openions

anyway talking about sudan i dont see anybody talking about the french company who tried to
fly 103 children from neighboring chad to europe?
why? to sell them maybe? they just poor kids

whatever
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
  01.02.2008 at 10:07
Written by Introspekrieg on 05.12.2007 at 12:52

So every person who names their child Mohammed or converts to Islam and changes their name to Mohammed is commiting blasphemy?

a person being named Mohammed is fine, it's aspiring to be like him but naming a teddy bear or ANY object Mohammed is considered blasphemy as you are effectively creating and idol to worship which is completely against what they believe in. that's the reason, and getting their children to do it meant educating them that this was an ok thing to do and she should have been teaching the opposite.

the death penalty being given for this (in the modern world and considering she was a westerner) would have been waaaay ott but i certainly think she should have been punished as she was obviously dumb enough not to fully research the religion before taking up a poast there and she should have known full well the country and laws are RUN based on religion more than anything else and also that contravening them would mean severe penalties.

i think the few days she spent in prison were a perfect penalty for what she did as it was pure stupidity and misinterpretation rather than outright sticking two fingers up at their religion. it was a compromise due to her western origin and went inline with our laws over here where flogging or other forms of punishment are not seen as acceptable under human rights. doing nothing was never an option and to be honest i think she deserved to know how severe a mistake she had made.

as another point, had a native of the country done this they would have been punished MUCH more severely and i don't see she is any better than they are as a person so why should she escape scott free for breaking their own laws? A betrayed wife from Hong Kong come over on holiday and kills her adulterous husband over here with her bare hands and then shoots his lover, we would obviously arrest her but perhaps we should let her off scott free as in her country it is perfectly legal!

ps just so you know in advance... the penalty for masterbatino in Indonesia is decapitation! hahaha
Valentin B
Iconoclast

01.02.2008 at 20:37
lol, i'd name my pet jesus any day
----
Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil.
A.Fetal.Mistake

01.02.2008 at 21:16
Lmao. That teddy bear thing is a bunch of bull.

Guess you can't do anything nowadays.
----
If I find myself through time.
Take it so the shadows reach the sun
A few more fragile promises
Come for the path undone
Desertman
Account deleted
  02.02.2008 at 09:00
what Pole Kitten wrote proves not everybody at metalstorm are shallows
actually there is ppl with a (brain) in this forum
Pole Kitten
Account deleted
  02.02.2008 at 09:37
hahaha i wouldn't say i have a brain but i'll take tha compliment! *giggles*
Nebel_Hexe
Account deleted
  04.02.2008 at 20:23
If I remember correctly I read somewhere that the BNP (British National Party) had released BNP bears and named them Mohammed... or was that just some sort of joke haha.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 [2]

Login or register to post here.