Metal Storm logo
Old vs. New In Flames

Original post

Posted by Olli, 03.12.2007 - 14:47
I've seen in real life and on these forums that alot of people have different opinions on In Flames new sound, some say that the introduction of Anders clean vocals were a good idea and other says that the new songs have weaker riffs. For me I can't decide, as I agree with both of these statements, but it would be interesting to see what other people think.

Poll

Do you prefer the new In Flames sound or the old?

Old
Equal
New

Total votes: 163
03.03.2009 - 21:27
ms68
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 03.03.2009 at 21:01

Written by ms68 on 03.03.2009 at 20:25

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 03.03.2009 at 16:24

Written by ms68 on 03.03.2009 at 08:43

if u ask in flames' members what is better of course they will say old.

No. They'll say new. Their drummer is a Linkin Park fan nowadays and they've said they don't even listen that much to (real) metal anymore since they find it boring. I believe I once read that Anders Friden called Lunar Strain a piece of shit (or could've been Jester Race) and that he was ashamed to ever have released it and a bunch of craptalk.

Daniel Svensson is just drummer in band and nerver does a thing for band but drum.
but about andres frieden i think what u said is kind of rumor from new-in flames-fans because a musician never criticize against himself whereas jester race is one of the melodeath albums and still people buy that. besides i have a dvd concert from 2004. they played more their oldsongs than newsongs.

Maybe, but I'm actually quite sure I read this in an official interview (prior to the release of Come Clarity IIRC). They've defin itely said that the new stuff is better though. That much I can sure as hell vouch for and I'd prolly be able to drag up a bunch of interviews where they say the new stuff is better and that they're quite uninterested in metal nowadays.

maybe you are right. but even if god said A sense of purpose (i haven't problem with prior works)is better than old stuffs, i love older stuffs and i hate the last one. but if u give me links of that reviews i'll be glad
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
04.03.2009 - 22:38
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by ms68 on 03.03.2009 at 21:27

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 03.03.2009 at 21:01

Written by ms68 on 03.03.2009 at 20:25

Written by ms68 on 03.03.2009 at 08:43

if u ask in flames' members what is better of course they will say old.

No. They'll say new. Their drummer is a Linkin Park fan nowadays and they've said they don't even listen that much to (real) metal anymore since they find it boring. I believe I once read that Anders Friden called Lunar Strain a piece of shit (or could've been Jester Race) and that he was ashamed to ever have released it and a bunch of craptalk.

Daniel Svensson is just drummer in band and nerver does a thing for band but drum.
but about andres frieden i think what u said is kind of rumor from new-in flames-fans because a musician never criticize against himself whereas jester race is one of the melodeath albums and still people buy that. besides i have a dvd concert from 2004. they played more their oldsongs than newsongs.

Maybe, but I'm actually quite sure I read this in an official interview (prior to the release of Come Clarity IIRC). They've defin itely said that the new stuff is better though. That much I can sure as hell vouch for and I'd prolly be able to drag up a bunch of interviews where they say the new stuff is better and that they're quite uninterested in metal nowadays.

maybe you are right. but even if god said A sense of purpose (i haven't problem with prior works)is better than old stuffs, i love older stuffs and i hate the last one. but if u give me links of that reviews i'll be glad

I'll see if I can find those interviews if you're interested. I don't think they were online though but in physical paper magazines that i have lying around here.

If I'm right and that's the case that would mean they're in Swedish though, but if you're really interested I'll see what I can do to find the magazine and translate the interview.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
05.03.2009 - 18:32
ms68
Thanks. don't tire yourself. if u are sure the magazine isn't gossip i'll believe that. the only matter is about the sentence that frieden said about Jester Race
----
06.03.2009 - 08:16
redessence
Account deleted
In Flames has always been a subpar band, even in their early days -- indeed one could argue they were worse back then. However, the hype generated at this band through the ages for their mediocre music is quite amusing.
09.03.2009 - 16:52
Old. The only new In Flames album I can listen to is Come Clarity, but it's too modern anyway... Damn mdm band's tendence to get more modern with time.
10.03.2009 - 12:45
ms68
Written by Guest on 06.03.2009 at 08:16

In Flames has always been a subpar band, even in their early days -- indeed one could argue they were worse back then. However, the hype generated at this band through the ages for their mediocre music is quite amusing.

i'm sure even yourself can't understand what the .... u said.
----
25.03.2009 - 17:45
Andresopeth
Old for sure, the sound of the albums from Reroute To Remain to nowday is too modern and the guitar riffs almos does not exist. But i still being a big In Flames fan, works like The Jester Race and Whoracle makes this band one of my favorites!
02.05.2009 - 05:15
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
In Flames was great until the "metallica'd" themselves on Clayman. 3 songs are listenable from this album. Following that the rest of their albums steadily got worse.
THis is one of those bands for me that went from "WOW! This is great!!!" to "Wow.... This is great?" If they kept their style like they did on Colony that would have worked for me.
----
04.06.2009 - 19:39
Warheart19
I like both the old and new albums (except Sense Of Purpose). Anyhow, I vote for their old stuff, it's just more special for me:)
05.06.2009 - 10:27
Sephiroth
Account deleted
Old albums are much better than the new albums. " The Jester Race" and "Whoracle" are my favorites. About their new albums(=forward from "Reroute To Remain"): "Reroute To Remain" is yet a great album. The last three, "Soundtrack To Your Escape", "Come Clarity" and "A Sense Of Purpose" have some good songs, but as a totality, they are no match against the old albums, or even against "Reroute To Remain". The new In Flames isn't that good old Gothenburg-sound anymore. Albums like "The Jester Race" and "Whoracle" are Melodic Death Metal as it's best.
19.08.2009 - 01:53
Razorback
Definitly old in flames,thay became nu metal i personaly don't like.
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
18.10.2009 - 09:06
Aetherius
Old In Flames all the way ! Long Live The Jester race
18.10.2009 - 11:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
If you're talking about the first 2.5 albums and the last 2-3, new IF for me of course, their first is way too "underproduced death metal" for me, subterranean also sometimes, and jester race a bit too. the newer ones sure aren't all very inspired but they appeal to me more than those 3 albums.
01.12.2009 - 12:52
valarauka
Account deleted
OLD, of course. The Jester Race made me getting to like metal with harsh vocals. R2R and Soundtrack are not good, especially when Anders is trying to sing clean. Sounds like sh*t. Either musically these 2 albums are the weakest.

But The Chosen Pessimist is suitable to dissolving masses too.
04.12.2009 - 06:49
Lachy
Account deleted
Sadly I think voted new in flames in this forum a while ago when i was just getting into in flames. I was totally wrong, i recon the old stuff is far superior to the new stuff. Saying that I still enjoy the new stuff except come clarity which sucked massive balls. A Sense of Purpose was ok i thought, it reminds me of reroute to remain a bit which even though it is classed as "new in flames" it was one of my favorite albums they have produced
08.10.2012 - 21:01
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I much prefer the older sound. Their newer sound almost borders on metalcore for me, and none of their newer albums really come close to an album like The Jester Race.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.10.2012 - 21:42
Dinruth
I like both ... I don't mind the "modern" sound ,... and I don't understand why "modern" in itself is something bad ..
08.10.2012 - 23:15
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Dinruth on 08.10.2012 at 21:42

I like both ... I don't mind the "modern" sound ,... and I don't understand why "modern" in itself is something bad ..

I don't mind a more "modern" sounding style of metal, I just don't particularly care for their newer sound personally. But that's cool if you do.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.10.2012 - 01:40
Sync
Account deleted
I love both new and old In Flames. So yeah, don't think there is much else to say about it :3
09.10.2012 - 05:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Ph0eNiX on 02.05.2009 at 05:15

In Flames was great until the "metallica'd" themselves on Clayman. 3 songs are listenable from this album. Following that the rest of their albums steadily got worse.
THis is one of those bands for me that went from "WOW! This is great!!!" to "Wow.... This is great?" If they kept their style like they did on Colony that would have worked for me.

The album you are referring to is Reroute To Remain, that's where the great schism was for In Flames, Clayman still retains a lot of the early In Flames elements

Written by Valentin B on 18.10.2009 at 11:12

If you're talking about the first 2.5 albums and the last 2-3, new IF for me of course, their first is way too "underproduced death metal" for me, subterranean also sometimes, and jester race a bit too. the newer ones sure aren't all very inspired but they appeal to me more than those 3 albums.

haha, it's funny to read old posts and see how my taste in music has changed I still like newer IF more than their earliest stuff (Lunar Strain/Subterranean), but I'd say for me they're on the same level when comparing the best parts of both (like Jester Race vs. Come Clarity)
10.10.2012 - 10:46
Dinruth
Written by CobiWan1993 on 08.10.2012 at 23:15

Written by Dinruth on 08.10.2012 at 21:42

I don't mind a more "modern" sounding style of metal, I just don't particularly care for their newer sound personally. But that's cool if you do.

never said that it's a bad thing that you don't care for a modern sound, just meant that I don't uunderstand what exactly people dislike about modern sound I'm not the kind of person who gets angry at people for their personal taste
10.10.2012 - 16:08
Aristarchos

I believe I once read that Anders Friden called Lunar Strain a piece of shit (or could've been Jester Race) and that he was ashamed to ever have released it and a bunch of craptalk.

He said in an interview that he still think that Jester Race is a great album, and the reason they changed is that if they tried to do a new Jester Race, it wouldn't be as nearly as good, and for Lunar Strain, he wasn't even singing on it, perhaps it could have been dark tranquillity's debut you talk about?
10.10.2012 - 16:13
Aristarchos
I personally prefer mid period (Clayman, Reroute To Remain). I think that Reroute To Remain is their most innovative album, and is the album they really find their own identity, and wasn't just a more melodic At the gates or dt. I don't know any earlier album that sounds like RTR. I also like Soundtrack to your escape, and it was first with Come clarity I lost my interest.