08. Venom
09. Masters Of The Earth
10. My Son
11. Still Beautiful
12. Empty Gun
13. Teardrops
14. Nevermind
15. Fuck Yourself

Here it is; the first release of the promising newcomer-trio from Switzerland; DeepTrip. It's not hard to see what it is that makes this young band stand out amongst the sea of new bands that floods our music scene; the line-up. With a violin, a contrabass, an acoustic guitar, a cello and a drum kit (the last two played by session musicians) this band plays some of the most original rock music I've heard for a long time. But the originality isn't the only forte of this band, they are also very good musicians.

This line-up suggests something folkish, but it's not. I think the music can be most fittingly described as some kind of grungy rock played with classical instruments. Most of the songs are rather quiet or even 'ballad-esque', but there are also quite a few tracks on here that really rock!

These faster and heavier songs are often also the ones I enjoy more. The track 'Hate' (which can be listened to on their homepage) is a good example of this, and also one of my favourites on here. But most of the slower and more peaceful songs are really good too. I'd even go as far as calling some of them beautiful. On the other side though there are also a couple of tracks on here that I regard as fillers. 'Masters Of The Earth' for example doesn't do anything for me at all, despite the fact that it's actually a good song technically-speaking (especially the violin solo starting at around 1:50). In my opinion a few songs here could just have been scraped from the CD, but don't worry, most of the tracks are pure quality.

The Cello and contrabass seem to form a solid background while the bulk of the melodies are made by the acoustic guitar and the violin; the drumming provides a steady beat. Claudio Moser's vocals complete the music, sometimes taking on a rougher, 'shouting', edge and sometimes rather a peaceful or even 'soothing' one like on the track 'My Son'.

In the end this is an album that you could really fall in love with if you are open-minded enough to not consider metal 'the only worthwhile music genre' and just give this really special album a chance. My prediction for this band is that we're going to hear a lot more about them in the near or distant future, maybe only in the rock scene or maybe even in the world of popular music. Already now they are going on Germany-tours with bands like 'Subway To Sally' and 'Schandmaul' that are really big in the German scene. I guess only time will tell where the deep trip of these guys will lead them to.

Without a doubt this is my rock album of the year!

Favourite tracks: Hate, My Son and Teardrops

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 7

Written by Bas | 03.12.2007

Comments

Comments: 20   Visited by: 64 users
03.12.2007 - 23:51
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Nice review.

I have only heard a few tracks from this band , but I have found them to be very good .

I am spreading the word.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
04.12.2007 - 00:00
Bararey
Winter is Coming
I think you've mentioned this before, but the vocals sounds familiar to another American band, can't recall the name now, was it Creed?

I thought the band's name was DeepTrip with no space, isn't it?

I've gotten their CD (and to my delight there are great pics in the booklet ) I also got their EP, it is self titled as well? Their both pretty good, and different
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
04.12.2007 - 17:19
Lily_Lazer
Outdated
there's nothing wrong with Masters Of The Earth, imo. Neither had I the feeling of a 'filler' .. Remember Naruto fillers? If they were boring, then i'd complain about those fillers with others. But these were fun to watch, so I dont mind so many of them, lol ^^ I know you dont mind them too xD
In DeepTrip's album everything just flows and goes the way it supposes to go, i hadn't really had a feeling of something not belonging there..
^^;
----
-Lily
04.12.2007 - 18:47
GT
Coffee!!
Sounds interesting...I'll check them out
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
04.12.2007 - 20:07
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
Hmmmmm... I'm interested. I have been quite lazy these days and haven't listened to any of the 1428 (yes, it's true) songs I still have to listen to. But I'll give this a chance. Good review: easy and not boring to read for my tired brain!
04.12.2007 - 20:29
Queen Of Hippies
Account deleted
OK. Re-posting here because I have just listened to the track "Hate" and "Carry On" on their home page. Well, the musicians are good... but the singer really annoyed me. Too bad.
04.12.2007 - 20:48
Rating: 9
Bas
Retired Staff
@Hanna: most of the songs hold the high quality, so no need to worry
(btw you could make someone give it to you as a christmas present )

@Bararey: it's Deep Trip with a space, but tbh i thought it was DeepTrip first too, it's not though. i'm not sure about the EP, i dont have it unfortunately, but i can remember the songs on it a bit and they're good, albeit different as you said. and you mean the band Nickelback, but on the cd i think he sounds less like that guy than he used to, maybe the recording, maybe my memory's failing me, i'm not sure, but we were definitely talking about Nickelback

@Lily: glad you like the whole cd^^

@GT: you should; http://www.deeptrip.ch

@Queen Of Hippies: well you're really not the only person who told me that, but on the other hand there are also many that like his voice a lot, kinda love it or hate it i suppose, a shame you don't like him
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
04.12.2007 - 21:29
.mrt

Nice find Bas! I have listened them on Myspace and now I'm looping their homepage player, love the "Hate". Although the vocals are not exactly the right for me (too much Nickelback) the whole still sounds pretty convincing. I'm a huge fan of this kind of "classical instruments meet rock/metal", for example Apocalyptica, Diablo Swing Orchestra, some songs of Estradasphere and many wonderful others.
The violin brings in nice folk-ish sound and contrabass gives some considerable depth. For example the climax of the Hate is a cherry on top my cake.
And again, nice one Bas
04.12.2007 - 21:57
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Meh! Now I have to go back and change all my tags
DeepTrip looks cool though (i.e. let them know, then I would not have to go through all the tags )
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
05.12.2007 - 12:08
shuffle
Account deleted
It actually is DeepTrip. (no space)
05.12.2007 - 23:14
Bas
Retired Staff
@.mrt: glad you like them! i like that kind of music as well, i'm going to check out Estradasphere, havent heard of them before!

@Bararey: sorry

@Sofus: hi! what's up? sorry, my fault it's kind of strange that in some places DeepTrip is without space and in other places it's with space... but if you say so i take that it's really definitely officially without a space
----
05.12.2007 - 23:40
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Music sounds nice but the singer gives off too much of a Goo Goo Dolls vibe....
I couldn't put my finger on it but I think that's who he sounds like.

Edit: Nickelback.
06.12.2007 - 04:16
.mrt

@Introspekrieg - listened couple of Goo-goo tracks on Youtube and my offer still stands - Nickelback. Sure that isn't the vibe you're getting?

@Bas - abt Estradasphere - watch out! they're one helluva crazy band. there are only 1-2 songs with "classical instruments/folkrock" feel. others vary from one end to another. They're really schizophrenic band, mind me saying, love 'em.
06.12.2007 - 16:05
FOOCK Nam

With this kind of music, cello, violin, etc but lead by the vocal like in alternative rock, I could say very weird music. But also interesting 'cause this is new kind of music I have experienced. I want to know exact songs you consider beautiful.
06.12.2007 - 20:35
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Written by Bas on 05.12.2007 at 23:14

@Bararey: sorry

tsk tsk tsk

I was too lazy too change it with space, so I guess it paid off
----
Ser Jorah Mormont
06.12.2007 - 20:44
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by FOOCK Nam on 06.12.2007 at 16:05

I want to know exact songs you consider beautiful.

when i wrote that i mostly had the songs My Son and Teardrops in mind, which i like extremely much, Still Beautiful as well to an extent, but i mainly meant the two i previously mentioned

@Bararey: see? that's exactly why i'm such a lazy guy

@Introspekrieg: a shame, but at least you like the rest of the music

@.mrt: that's good, i like 'shizophrenic' music
----
06.12.2007 - 21:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
sounds good, better than expected to be honest. Good review as well, though I think a little bit too much praise.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
19.01.2008 - 22:33
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
I got the album and Ep today.

The music is good if a little "samey".

I agree the singer makes it sound like Nickelback , but that's not all bad

Pleasant music to listen to when you are in the mood for something non-metal
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
25.01.2008 - 00:07
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Lucas on 06.12.2007 at 21:37

sounds good, better than expected to be honest. Good review as well, though I think a little bit too much praise.

well, i didn't expect you to like it either, but i'm glad you do

@Hanna: what do you think by now that you've heard the album more than once?

Written by hanna of steel on 19.01.2008 at 22:33

I got the album and Ep today.
The music is good if a little "samey".
I agree the singer makes it sound like Nickelback , but that's not all bad
Pleasant music to listen to when you are in the mood for something non-metal

what do you think by now that you've heard the album more than once?
still have the same opinion? or do you like it more by now? or perhaps a bit less?
----
08.12.2008 - 03:58
Metalbound7

Great band, they sound like Apocalyptica but less Metal, but that's not bad at all. They have a lot of feeling and energy at the same time. Great debut album

Hits total: 5030 | This month: 12