Metal Storm logo
Favorite Black Metal Vocalist

Original post

Posted by , 07.06.2006 - 00:00
Here's my post from this thread straight outta the old forums

For the poll I picked who I thought would be the more popular choices, I'm sure we'll get alot of "others" though.
Anyways, this was a hard one for me. Black Metal vocals are probably my favorite type of vocals in all it's different styles...but overall my favorite is probably Nocturno Culto. Absolutely countless vocalists have modeled themselves ater him and for good reason. He's the spokesboy of BM vocals and has a truly chilling sound to his voice. Attila was a close second for me, he has one hell of a creepy voice too. Varg as well. Who's yours??

Poll

Who's your favorite?

Other (who?)
Abbath (Immortal)
Ihsahn (Emperor)
Varg Vikernes (Burzum)
Nocturno Culto (Darkthrone)
Quorthon (Bathory)
Attila Csihar (Mayhem)
Legion (Marduk)
Maniac (ex-Mayhem)

Total votes: 299
11.08.2009 - 16:24
Razorback

Abbath the king of northern darkness:naughty:
----
Careful what you wish,you may regret it.Careful what you wish,you just might get it!
15.09.2011 - 03:43
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Ihsahn is good, but he gets annoying when he does lengthy screams (Towards The Pantheon anyone?). Varg sounds like someone being skinned alive. This isn't always nice. Nocturno is very normal, your average day BM vocalist. Attlia is pretty good, but.... very twisted and weird. Satyr is very raspy. So.... It's Abbath FTW, the mighty king of northern darkness!!!!!
15.09.2011 - 03:47
NecroCorpSlayer

Pest from Gorgoroth! His shrieks are absolutely hellish and fitting
16.09.2011 - 23:04
Sulac

Abbath is an exquisite vocalist... He sounds vaguely froggish, but you can't beat him.
17.09.2011 - 00:54
@gent_-_orange

Am I the only once who thinks that Vargs vocals are absolutely terrible? They just come off as weak IMO .

Voted for Ihsahn because of his versatility, Good clean vocals as well as his Shrieks.
17.09.2011 - 02:28
MesiasDesmorphus

Written by @gent_-_orange on 17.09.2011 at 00:54

Am I the only once who thinks that Vargs vocals are absolutely terrible? They just come off as weak IMO .

Voted for Ihsahn because of his versatility, Good clean vocals as well as his Shrieks.

no you aren't the only one
Come at me Burzum fans
anyways, I voted other, Jon Nodtveidt and Satyr are my favorites.
21.09.2011 - 13:24
zero

Attila is one of the best. I'm a true fan of Ordo Ad chaos so be careful!
22.09.2011 - 04:25
dr.doom

Ihsahn has the most unique sound, and Emperor is my favorite classic BM band. So Ihsahn it is.
22.09.2011 - 04:37
psykometal
A staff guy...
Abbath ftw. Ihsahn close 2nd. And my 3rd is probably going to cause a lot of shit to be thrown my way I'm sure but at least I'm being honest Shagrath.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

29.09.2011 - 17:52
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 17.09.2011 at 00:54

I don't think Varg's down-right terrible, but I agree that he's bad.
29.09.2011 - 23:54
ravendeath

I voted for Quorthon, because he's a legend, althought I prefer his non black albums like "Blood On Ice", "Hammerhart",...
08.10.2011 - 15:14
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Abbath is my favorite and it's good to see I'm not the only one who thinks he sounds like a frog.
But I'm dissapointed to see maniac poll so low. Behind Varg and Attila? And how would Dead and Shagrath go if they were on the list?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.10.2011 - 00:51
OrbitalSight

Aldrahn!!
11.10.2011 - 14:00
edgethrasherx

Abbath, mainly for the reason that immortal is my favorite black metal band
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
07.09.2012 - 19:38
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
My personal favorite is Høst from Taake. Whenever I record black metal vocal covers, I always look to him for inspiration. Whenever I think of black metal shrieks, i always look to his vocals as being the "real deal" if you will.

I should also mention Ihsahn as well, his vocals are killer.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
28.09.2012 - 06:24
Evil Chip

Isahn or Kvaforth, Abbath sounds like a human frog to me, although it blends good with the music for some strange reason.
28.09.2012 - 18:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Nowdays I would say Attila and Mortuus (aka Arioch)... Attila's voice is so versatile while Mortuus has easily the most angry voice I've heard. Just listen to Funeral Mist's Salvation and you'll hear how fucking insane and brilliant he sounds.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.09.2012 - 21:48
helofloki

Abbath is just a bad ass. The dude from Deathspell Omega is pretty freakin amazing too.