01. From Darkness There Springs Light
02. Deadly Sparks
03. Sinister Resonance
04. Severed From The Self
05. Manifesting The Raging Beast
06. Said Lucifer In Twilight
07. Serpentine Admonition
08. Altered Verses

I was a little sceptical about this band; I tend to react with that particular feeling when it comes to French Black Metal since the year 2000, apparently people saw that Deathspell Omega was hitting the jackpot (in a metal average) with their typified Raw Black Metal and all of a sudden everyone there started sounding the same, filthy, desperately intense and really freaking raw? Turns out there's a band there that's able to create fresh music with mid-paced hooks and astonishing song writing without scarifying their sound, it's just fresh air in a really thick and suffocating fog.

"Manifesting The Raging Beast" is fortunately not as raw as I thought it would be, on the contrary, it's highly digestible music with its permanent dose of brutality and evil ingenious minds. The whole Glorior Belli spectrum is a mammoth example of what Black Metal can create when it's in the right hands; the musical structure taps the veins of Swedish bands like Marduk for example, but it always manages to keep the original levels up high and most of the time you'll be experimenting new sounds and experiences that's for sure.

The music is not the most complex thing you've ever heard, it's actually quite basic and linear, but the power of the execution and the brutality of the whole scheme makes this album more than memorable; each track has a soul of its own, some of them are slow and catchy, some others are fast and really aggressive and we can even hear epic instalments with a magnificent combination of elements and tones.

The highlights of this album are many to be honest, but in my head the vocal work stole the spotlight from the beginning to the very end; the force of Infestvvs makes this album a shivering experience that will easily scare the faint hearts out there, the lyrical content is also quite amusing to read, blasphemous sentences add to the philosophical approach in each song, it's maybe not original or enlightening, but as I said, it's interesting enough while playing the album in the background.

I'm really amazed by the results, I can easily see Black Metal fans from all over the world enjoying this kind of music, It's a must if you're into this genre and even more if your shelves are packed with Antaeus, Watain or Marduk. Highly Recommended!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 7

Written by Herzebeth | 09.12.2007

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 89 users
09.12.2007 - 09:11
Rating: 9
Sunioj

This is a great release from this year. And I agree with the raw notion - the production is pretty top notch IMO on this album, and considerably better sound then their previous release. Some of the mid paced songs caught me off gaurd though.
09.12.2007 - 11:29
Damnated
Churchburner
don't really see that significant Marduk influence, and i was surprised that after you said "it always manages to keep the original levels up high and most of the time you'll be experimenting new sounds and experiences that's for sure." you gave 7 for originality.

also, i thought you'd rate it higher than 8 after all that positive stuff you said.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.12.2007 - 11:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I am surprised at the Marduk reference as well. Glorrior Belli has way way way more variety than Marduk's pretty to excessively boring music which just balsts on and on and on.

And the biggest influence (Deathspell Omega'slast couple of albums) is mentioned in a weird way (being raw and such). Old DS is raw (and very much influenced by Darkthrone) but everything from Si Monumentum till now isn't and the stuff from Si Monumentum is IMO the biggest influence on this Glorior Belli album (haven't heard the first one).

But I do agree with the final rating of 8, which is a very good mark and still leaves enough room for improvement.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2007 - 22:34
Herzebeth

Marduk is pure blasts back in the "Panzer Division Marduk" era I agree...but their new album Rom 5:12 is actually similar to Glorior Belli...or viceversa for that matter

7 for originality yes...my explanation would be, it is a very fresh album, the band creates fresh music but it's nothing that we haven't heard before as a whole
----
09.12.2007 - 23:21
Damnated
Churchburner
hmm, i disagree. glorior belli is brilliantly evil and catchy at the same time. not being cheesy for a minute. this is unprecedented.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
09.12.2007 - 23:54
Herzebeth

what's unprecedented?

I rated the album high enough dudes then what seems to be the problem officers
----
10.12.2007 - 00:41
Damnated
Churchburner
the ultra evil and ultra catchy combo.

i'll stop bitching now
----

10.12.2007 - 11:14
FOOCK Nam

"Cause you stated epic instalment, I would like to know more in details that do they use clean vocal? or epic element like Anaal Nathrakh last stuff or any epic such bands.
10.12.2007 - 17:59
Herzebeth

Epic as in relatively "long" songs with surprising time signatures and changes from ultra fast to ultra slow and all kind of different structures inside the song
----
02.01.2008 - 23:11
Infurnace

This record is one of the best of 2007. It's really catchy from track 1 until the end.
11.01.2013 - 00:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Wow, how anyone could see Marduk in this is a mystery. Marcel was right, DsO is clearly the influence here. This is a great accompaniment to SMRC.
11.01.2013 - 12:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 11.01.2013 at 00:31

Wow, how anyone could see Marduk in this is a mystery.

It is Herzebeth who does make the weirdest of comparisons when reviewing black metal. Even when it is glaringly obvious a band such a GB have nothing in common with Marduk whatsoever and are extremely close to DsO Si Requirem
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.01.2013 - 12:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
What is a real mistery... Is that I friggin love SMR,C... But I haven't listened to this one at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 7010 | This month: 5