Metal Storm logo
The Quick Questions Thread

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 11.03.2009 - 02:26
Question: Kirk Hammett played on the latest K'Naan album and I wanted to add that to his profile, but I am not sure how to. Could someone please help me out?
03.07.2020 - 23:34
A short one - came back to the site after about 15 years (yeah, been a regular back in '05) and it seems - especially the forum - rather deserted. Remember the site generally much more busy.
----
Avantgarde / Psychedelic / Prog / Jazz / Fusion / Electronica
04.07.2020 - 13:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by SchrödingersCat on 03.07.2020 at 23:34

A short one - came back to the site after about 15 years (yeah, been a regular back in '05) and it seems - especially the forum - rather deserted. Remember the site generally much more busy.

Wellcome tro reallity, ytou should never leave to whitness it.
But other way articles, revievs, intervievs and writer sesction is much better in organising, structure, langauges, and writter skills. It has grown from primitive to non paid free valonteering profesiuoinal writters, check out radu,m nikargf, ssus un few modernb writter and compare whit old ones. (even some band belongs to 'suxer'' genre, I am happy how ms is now) sad that forum has died
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.07.2020 - 14:23
Written by Bad English on 04.07.2020 at 13:54

Wellcome tro reallity, ytou should never leave to whitness it.
But other way articles, revievs, intervievs and writer sesction is much better in organising, structure, langauges, and writter skills. It has grown from primitive to non paid free valonteering profesiuoinal writters, check out radu,m nikargf, ssus un few modernb writter and compare whit old ones. (even some band belongs to 'suxer'' genre, I am happy how ms is now) sad that forum has died

I mostly share your sentiments, from what I remember the articles, reviews and other seems much better in quality now. To bad about the forum.
----
Avantgarde / Psychedelic / Prog / Jazz / Fusion / Electronica
19.09.2021 - 04:12
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Hey, RaduP? I got a question regarding AOR as a genre. Saw Anette Olzon had AOR removed as a genre after some talk about it in the album thread.
https://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=134535&band_id=8323&bandname=Anette+Olzon
What about the others still with it? Should they be changed to something else, too?
https://metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_where=s.style&b_what=Rock&prefix=Adult+Oriented
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
19.09.2021 - 06:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 19.09.2021 at 04:12

Hey, RaduP? I got a question regarding AOR as a genre. Saw Anette Olzon had AOR removed as a genre after some talk about it in the album thread.
https://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=134535&band_id=8323&bandname=Anette+Olzon
What about the others still with it? Should they be changed to something else, too?
https://metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_where=s.style&b_what=Rock&prefix=Adult+Oriented

Its a genre, and no need to be changed at all unless some band don't fits there. So where did you have idea why all those bands shoud be changed?
----

apos;'
[image]
19.09.2021 - 08:40
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 19.09.2021 at 06:25

Written by M C Vice on 19.09.2021 at 04:12

Its a genre, and no need to be changed at all unless some band don't fits there. So where did you have idea why all those bands shoud be changed?

Because there was a discussion about the genre and whether it should be used or not in the Olzon album thread. Then, the genre was removed from the band's page. So I assumed that AOR was no longer being used here. Hence my asking Radu, since he was the one who removed it. I assume he knows which genres are used in the database.
----
19.09.2021 - 08:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
It might be that album did not fits the Gengre. To me her debut was more aor oriented, this one, well pop rock maybe.
That discussion was made from not official staff, c, elite or people who has perms do edits, so.
----

apos;'
[image]
19.09.2021 - 12:02
nikarg
Staff
Written by Bad English on 19.09.2021 at 08:46

That discussion was made from not official staff, c, elite or people who has perms do edits, so.

A discussion about genres and style tags can be initiated and held by any user of Metal Storm, whether or not they have perms to make edits.

edit: MC Vice asked Radu. Let Radu respond then.
19.09.2021 - 13:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by nikarg on 19.09.2021 at 12:02

Written by Bad English on 19.09.2021 at 08:46

A discussion about genres and style tags can be initiated and held by any user of Metal Storm, whether or not they have perms to make edits.

edit: MC Vice asked Radu. Let Radu respond then.

Yes all can discuss, but if we let bands put genres then venom would be onlbm band and whole norvegian scene be snow or white metal.
----

apos;'
[image]
20.01.2022 - 16:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So I saw the green icon on a thread and clicked to see what was the last post, but there was none.
Looking closely, on the bottom of the page it sayd 1 posts total, 1 ignored.

So that means I'm ignoring a certain user?

This is weird because I don't recall ever ignoring any user on this site.

Which brings me to the question I wanna make: how do I check my list of ignored users? On my profile I have the list of added friends, but I don't see the option to see the ignored users...
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
20.01.2022 - 17:46
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Karlabos on 20.01.2022 at 16:56

[...] 1 ignored.

Which brings me to the question I wanna make: how do I check my list of ignored users?

Nah, it simply means that a post got deleted.

You can check your personal ignore list under settings.php. It's at the very bottom of the page, but you can only see it if you're blocking at least one user.
----
signatures = SPAM
20.01.2022 - 19:46
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Starvynth on 20.01.2022 at 17:46

Written by Karlabos on 20.01.2022 at 16:56

[...] 1 ignored.

Which brings me to the question I wanna make: how do I check my list of ignored users?

Nah, it simply means that a post got deleted.

You can check your personal ignore list under settings.php. It's at the very bottom of the page, but you can only see it if you're blocking at least one user.

Ooh, ok. I got it now. Thx
----
- Reimu Hakurei
03.02.2022 - 09:37
Redel
In the discography section I can filter a band's releases displayed by the type of release (Studio, EP, Compilation...) in the top panel.
I used to think that once I make a specific selection of types (say only Studio and EP) at any band this selection is automatically saved in my profile, and for all subsequent discographies I visit this will be the default selection.
This though does not seem to be true (any more).
Is it rather that there is a default selection depending on the band, so same for all user profiles?
Not an issue really, I am just curious. For myself I would like to have a default selection of only Studio and EP for all bands in my profile.
Any ideas?
03.02.2022 - 22:26
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Quick question about editing videos:

when I edit a video, the image field appears blank. Does this mean that if I submit the edit, the video thumbnail image will become blank and that I should always submit an image together whenever I make an edit? Or should I just edit without worries and rest assured the old image won't be altered unless I alter the field?
----
- Reimu Hakurei
03.02.2022 - 23:42
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Karlabos on 03.02.2022 at 22:26

Or should I just edit without worries and rest assured the old image won't be altered unless I alter the field?

Just ignore the blank field. If you don't change it, the old image is always restored.
----
signatures = SPAM
04.02.2022 - 00:01
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Starvynth on 03.02.2022 at 23:42

Written by Karlabos on 03.02.2022 at 22:26

Or should I just edit without worries and rest assured the old image won't be altered unless I alter the field?

Just ignore the blank field. If you don't change it, the old image is always restored.

Oh, ok then
----
- Reimu Hakurei
07.02.2022 - 23:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Anyone know why an album isn't linking in my list?
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2541 Blood Stain Child - εpsilon (number 16 on the list).
The band name links, but not the album name. Other lists with this album have a working album link. Anyone know how to make it link? I've tried both selecting from the collections list in the list edit and copy/pasting the album name directly from it's page.
----
08.02.2022 - 00:02
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by M C Vice on 07.02.2022 at 23:41

https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2541 Blood Stain Child - εpsilon (number 16 on the list).
The band name links, but not the album name. Other lists with this album have a working album link. Anyone know how to make it link?

There was something wrong with the album title. Please try again, it works now.
----
signatures = SPAM
08.02.2022 - 02:57
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Starvynth on 08.02.2022 at 00:02

Written by M C Vice on 07.02.2022 at 23:41

The band name links, but not the album name. Other lists with this album have a working album link. Anyone know how to make it link?

There was something wrong with the album title. Please try again, it works now.

Thanks. Links now.
----
17.02.2022 - 20:43
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
What is the "Reviews Queue"? They seem to be upcoming official reviews, right?
17.02.2022 - 21:15
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by F3ynman2000 on 17.02.2022 at 20:43

The review queue stores reviews that have yet to be approved by MS staff. These can be official staff reviews, but are usually guest reviews that still need to be proofread.
----
signatures = SPAM
18.02.2022 - 20:12
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff

Dude, please disregard my first reply.
It's not that my answer was totally wrong, but it was wrong and confusing in your particular case, because there are actually two "review queues". You must have meant this queue, and that is exactly what you assumed, it's an overview of upcoming staff reviews.

There is another queue for reviews that still need to be proofread, and based on your last PM I had mistakenly assumed you were referring to that queue.
Sorry for the confusion.
----
signatures = SPAM
18.02.2022 - 20:17
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Written by Starvynth on 18.02.2022 at 20:12

Dude, please disregard my first reply.
It's not that my answer was totally wrong, but it was wrong and confusing in your particular case, because there are actually two "review queues". You must have meant this queue, and that is exactly what you assumed, it's an overview of upcoming staff reviews.

There is another queue for reviews that still need to be proofread, and based on your last PM I had mistakenly assumed you were referring to that queue.
Sorry for the confusion.

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to clarify
Yeah, I was referring to the queue that you linked. I can't see that other queue - I'm guessing only members with the permission to proofread can see that
24.02.2022 - 00:06
NastyHero
Probably not a bug but I wanna know how it works.

So I'm rating some albums. Judas Priest discography.
I rate Defenders of the Faith with 9. The overall rating changes... from 8.9 to 8.8. The hell?
For testing purposes I rated it 10 and it went back to 8.9. I switched to 9 and it's back at 8.8.

On RateYourMusic I encountered a similar issue. Votes from inactive users stop being counted to general rating. However, particular ratings don't update on its own - the rating for the album gets recalculated only when someone else rates it. So I had some of the cases where I rated some obscure album and the rating went down despite my rating being higher than the average, because only then the (high) ratings from inactive users got removed.
This is the only possible explanation I can think of. But is it correct?
24.02.2022 - 01:01
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by NastyHero on 24.02.2022 at 00:06
Probably not a bug but I wanna know how it works.

I had to look into this myself.
It's definitely true that ratings are not refreshed when we delete users or even user votes (in case of obvious vote abuse for example). The Average value of an album is rounded from four decimal places to one. So I figure you hit a case where votes were previously deleted and the value was really close to a rounding value. When you cast your own vote, you caused a re-calculation of the average and the new value takes into account the "new" number of voters, too.

We mostly delete votes when people rate all albums by a particular band with all 10s. So it's well possible that several 10s were deleted between your vote and the last one before that and now your 9 would actually drop the average, despite it being higher.

I'm trying to figure out whether I would call this a bug. After all, the new actual average is what you're seeing after your vote. We just don't run background tasks refreshing these calculated values (yet).
----
24.02.2022 - 11:36
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
To add to the dicussion, sometimes the same thing happens to me (e.g. there's an album at 8.6, I rate it a 9 and it drops to 8.5) but if I refresh the page the rating goes back to normal, it might just be a visual bug
24.02.2022 - 11:41
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
Written by Roman Doez on 24.02.2022 at 11:36
To add to the dicussion, sometimes the same thing happens to me (e.g. there's an album at 8.6, I rate it a 9 and it drops to 8.5) but if I refresh the page the rating goes back to normal, it might just be a visual bug

That, I can tell you, is not supposed to happen. When you rate an album, the site refreshes the overall rating and returns it to be displayed immediately. I'll have to investigate why that would change upon refresh.
----
24.02.2022 - 12:46
Redel
Written by corrupt on 24.02.2022 at 11:41

When you rate an album, the site refreshes the overall rating and returns it to be displayed immediately. I'll have to investigate why that would change upon refresh.

On a related note, I encountered a similar behavior yesterday.
An album showed an average rating of 5.0 on the discography page of the band, with only 2 votes underlying, it said.
When I though clicked on the 5.0 to see the distribution of the two ratings it turned out that there was only a single rating (left), which was a 4. So there it said the average rating was 4.0.
This all was before I rated it myself.
I then returned to the discography page where the 5.0 still stood.
Then I rated it myself on the discography page. And only then the rating on this page obviously got "updated" and one of the two ratings got canceled.
Bottom line: I suspect a behavior referred to above from RYM: Ratings from deleted user accounts only get "updated" in certain steps.
24.02.2022 - 12:52
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Admin
I'll look at it, I promise

Right now we're still working to fix band searches using non-ascii characters which will quite likely occupy me through parts of the weekend, but I'll look at this after that. Thank you all for bringing it up.
----
24.02.2022 - 16:04
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Redel on 24.02.2022 at 12:46

*bug description*

Same thing happened to me yesterday, an album had a 7 average and when I went to check the ratings it had 0 of them. Then after I rated it it still showed that there was one rating, only now it was mine.