Metal Storm logo
Your Favourite Villain

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 11.12.2007 - 12:59
mine are the Emperor/Darth Sidious, gotta love how evil he looks in episode III, other than that i might say the Green Goblin from Spiderman(gotta love that insane laughter.. aaah hahaha!!!), and Cell from Dragon Ball Z, he's really smart, powerful and looks as evil as possible in all 3 forms
24.07.2012 - 02:24
@gent_-_orange

Kain

Although he is the main character in the series, and you get to play as him, He is way to evil to be considered a hero, and Simon Templeman's voice work made him incredibly memorable.
25.07.2012 - 14:04
helofloki

This is a fun topic. Here's a couple of my favs.

Petyr Baelish from George RR Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire'. So far he has not been one of the characters to go from 'man I hate this guy' to 'zomg my favorite character!' Instead, after 5 books, he's still a complete slimeball. On the other hand, the dude is clever as hell. He reads situations so far ahead and when it comes to the moment of decision, he never hesitates (which is one of the reasons you still feel he's a sleeze). He is such a formidable character, like a super intelligent vulture. I really like the way George RR Martin writes intelligence. He doesn't explain things outright. Instead, you just kind of find things out and when you realize their implications, when the scope of it all dawns on you, it is impressive.

Thanos of Titan from the Marvel Universe. Certainly my favorite Marvel Villain and really not all that different from Petyr. The main difference here however is I actually don't like the way Thanos' intelligence is written. It often comes across like he thinks of the right way to deal with a situation on the spot instead of reading way ahead. What I do like is how he's such a classic brooder. His only damn flaw is that deep down inside he wants to fail, he's self sabotaging. This is always how he is defeated and while in a way to some it may feel like a cop out, I think this aspect of his personality is very well written and ends up being surprisingly believable. I've always loved this guy, from the first time I read about him in the infinity gauntlet saga to the Thanos imperative. I'd mention something else that happened recently that made me excited as hell, but I don't like to be the spoiler so I'll save it.

There are some more worth talking about for sure, but I'll leave it at that for now. Oh and I will definitely mention I am also a Patrick Bateman fan. I never read the book, but that movie was all kinds of brilliant. Christian Bale was absolutely amazing.
13.09.2012 - 02:51
Oaken
Hipster
The Joker, because he's insane. It's one thing to be evil, but it's another thing to be maniacally evil. He would do anything just to get what he wants.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
11.10.2012 - 16:51
BudDa

Aunt Fig! Seriously, nobody beats her!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
23.10.2012 - 14:06
Sophist

Ozymandias from the Watchmen
28.12.2012 - 21:46
Ethan1994

Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Yeah, yeah, she's a Disney Villain, whatever. I am a huge fan of Disney films, and Sleeping Beauty is one of my favourites, particularly because of Maleficent. I really like the way she's designed, and I love Eleanor Audley's(1905-1991) voice acting for the character. It's a very cold voice, and probably one of the reasons why Maleficent used to scare the crap out of me when I was little.

I really hope that the live-action film they're making about her will be good. I'll be gutted if it isn't!
28.12.2012 - 22:36
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Emperor Palpatine is like what Satan would be if he was in a Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie series. He's badass and awesome.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
29.12.2012 - 01:53
ANGEL REAPER

Purgatori from Purgatori comics...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.03.2013 - 16:46
Jpageforever

I really like the agents from The Matrix. They're just hard, virtually emotionless. I'm also in love with J.R.R. Tolkien's work, and I call my mother Shelob (we don't get along).
14.06.2013 - 01:09
LordHypnos
Account deleted
My favorite villains are:
Id (Xenogears)

Grahf (Xenogears)

Lynx (Chrono Cross)

Vergil (Devil May Cry)

and yeah, this guy

There are other villains that I like a lot, but I can't remember them right now.
15.06.2013 - 03:02
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Peuranpuolikas on 08.10.2009 at 17:39

Randall Flagg, anyone?

+1.

Also a huge fan of Batman villains, finding myself reading the comics more because of them than Batman himself. My favorites being Two-Face, Jane Doe and Hush. Also loved the way their portrayed in the Nolan movies. Lot of people keep saying Ledger did the best performance with Joker, but I say that honor goes to Hardy as Bane. Just an awesome character throughout the movie.
Also, best Joker is neither Nicholson nor Ledger, but Mark Hammil.
And as long as we're talking Batman villains, I also liked this guy from Batman Beyond (Voiced by Henry Rollins, no less):

Other comic villains I like are Livewire from Superman and Typhoid Mary from Daredevil. Outside of Batman and comics, I also like Cobra from G.I. Joe, Queen Chrysalis from MLP, Azula from Avatar: The Last Airbender, Alakshmi from Kaijudo, Boris the Animal from Men In Black 3, Mama from the new Dredd movie, Anto Chiguir from No Country For Old Men, Frank Booth from Blue Velvet, GLaDOS from Portal and Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2.
16.06.2013 - 16:00
Bulletdodger

Silva from Skyfall, one of the best Bond villains so far, probably due to the fact that for once in the Bond series ad villain doesn't expose of his plans, also Javier Bardem's performance was remarkable.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
19.06.2013 - 23:50
*NorthernLights*

Written by Ethan1994 on 28.12.2012 at 21:46

Maleficent from Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Yeah, yeah, she's a Disney Villain, whatever. I am a huge fan of Disney films, and Sleeping Beauty is one of my favourites, particularly because of Maleficent. I really like the way she's designed, and I love Eleanor Audley's(1905-1991) voice acting for the character. It's a very cold voice, and probably one of the reasons why Maleficent used to scare the crap out of me when I was little.

I really hope that the live-action film they're making about her will be good. I'll be gutted if it isn't!

Maleficent was actually my pick, too. Her "And all the powers of HELL!" is just the epitome of old-school fantasy evil awesome. And she was much more interesting than the title character, who has got to be the most boring of all the Disney heroines.
----
And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair
29.09.2013 - 13:00
Frank Comstock

SHODAN from System Shock 2. Easily.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
15.10.2013 - 12:01
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Has anyone seen the final episode of Being Human? One of the best villain performances ever.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
04.07.2020 - 21:36
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.07.2020 at 20:17

I don't think you can't find a flaw in such a flawless film.

My one big problem with Schindler's List is that they show Amon Goeth's execution at the very end. The story was never about Goeth and I think his natural time in the relative spotlight was over by then. We didn't need to see him get executed. In a way, I felt like the film made a great point about Goeth lacking true power in all the previous scenes with him. The moment that I consider Goeth's true failure and defeat is the scene where Schindler convinces Goeth to give him 1100 Jews as workers in exchange for money. I absolutely adore how Goeth's psychopathy is what allows Schindler to fool him, Goeth never even comes close to understanding Schindler's true motive; The saint fools a devil and it is beautiful. It's great storytelling, it's great characterization and it makes a great point about how a total psychotic lunatic will never truly triumph over an intelligent and good man. Goeth was never a powerful man, he was a weak man in a powerful position. I felt that was communicated so well in the film that seeing his execution was pandering in a way.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
02.11.2020 - 18:04
JennyL

Frollo from the hunchback of notre dame. He's a very "real" villain, people like him exists all over the place IRL. Look up his song hellfire and you can get the gist of his character if you have never seen the cartoon.
03.11.2020 - 21:17
Metren
Dreadrealm
The Final Fantasy games have many great villains, I especially loved to hate Shin-Ra Company. Shin-Ra are as underrated as Kefka is overrated IMO. Nobody ever seems to acknowledge just how awesome Shin-Ra were. I once summed it up thusly:

If Kefka had won, everyone would've died, that's it. If Shin-Ra had won, everyone would've been doomed to live on a dying planet whilst cheering for the villains and hating on the people willing to fight for the planet's life. It's obvious which of these is more interesting and has applicability to the problems we face in the real world.

The point is, I hate Kefka. I like Shin-Ra a lot, but Kefka I hate more than I like Shin-Ra. What an overrated character Kefka is.

Also, as far as greatest villains go, Griffith of Berserk is still the GOAT, even though he's been doing jack shit for years (damn your laziness, Miura!)
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
04.04.2022 - 22:57
Metal Rasputin

Written by JennyL on 02.11.2020 at 18:04

Frollo from the hunchback of notre dame. He's a very "real" villain, people like him exists all over the place IRL. Look up his song hellfire and you can get the gist of his character if you have never seen the cartoon.

If you enjoy the original Hellfire in English, check out the Finnish version. Tony Jay had great voice, but his singing sounds little too fragile and old to my taste. In Finnish version they had more operatic singer with even deeper voice and it sounds awesome.

One of my personal favourite villains is Seti I from The Prince of Egypt. The complexity of the character is just incredible: he's not just some evil mastermind, but a wise and family-loving old man who has been corrupted by the unlimited power and wealth of the god emperor. At the beginning his men commit a genocide, little later there's this one amazing scene where he talks about the massacre in a very mournful tone as if he understood what he did was wrong, but he did it anyway, since in his eyes those little worthless ants he murdered weren't human beings anyway. In his mind for greater good, that is the power and the glory of the god emperor, sacrifices have to be made.

That is epic.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
05.04.2022 - 09:40
IronAngel

Written by Metal Rasputin on 04.04.2022 at 22:57

If you enjoy the original Hellfire in English, check out the Finnish version. Tony Jay had great voice, but his singing sounds little too fragile and old to my taste. In Finnish version they had more operatic singer with even deeper voice and it sounds awesome.

I once knew a guy who obsessed over Disney songs and he'd compared all the different versions (yeah, internet). He recommended the Swedish version, and I gotta say it's even more powerful.