Metal Storm logo
Guitar Strings

12.12.2007 - 20:23
Lord TJ

We all use different guitar strings, we all have different opinions, they sound different to us depending on what equipment we have.

So tell us!
- What do you use?
- What do you prefer?
- Why is it you like the kind of strings you use?
- Are they expensive?
- Do they last long?

Commence discussion!

I use D'Addario's. My friend suggested them to me a long time ago, after I used them I tend to notice they lasted longer for me than others I tried out. The sound difference was not by much, but to me they sounded a little bit better than Super Slinky brand. They are like $11 if I remember right, and they last me about 1.5 months!
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
12.12.2007 - 20:38
Valentin B
Iconoclast
the Ernie Ball regular slinky 0.10 strings never let me down, even after 5 months of playing, only then when i downtuned the 1st string really abruptly it snapped. changed it, that was back in august, got a new set and still going strong
12.12.2007 - 20:42
NECURATU

cheapest fender strings for bass, not to skinny, I like them to last, not too fat, I don't want them to bend my neck. and for my acoustic guitar, I use D'Addario though I once had a set of awsome swedish strings...just awsome, but I forgot the name and couldn't find them anymore. And they were cheaper than D'Addario. I use my strings for about 6 months hahaa.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
12.12.2007 - 20:47
Lord TJ

Written by Valentin B on 12.12.2007 at 20:38

only then when i downtuned the 1st string really abruptly it snapped. changed it

That happened to me once before, smacked me right in the eye.

I can understand the strings breaking when you tune them up high enough, but tuning them lower and having them break? Wtf?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

12.12.2007 - 20:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 12.12.2007 at 20:47

Written by Valentin B on 12.12.2007 at 20:38

only then when i downtuned the 1st string really abruptly it snapped. changed it

That happened to me once before, smacked me right in the eye.

I can understand the strings breaking when you tune them up high enough, but tuning them lower and having them break? Wtf?

yeah it's weird, but i think it's because there are some little denivelations or something on the neck saddles or in the nut that could cause it.
12.12.2007 - 20:57
Lord TJ

Hmm Im not sure if that would be the cause or not.

Has anyone ever taken a clothe and ran it down the string to collect rust? I used to do it now and then just to see how much I could collect. Then I realized it made my strings sound odd, so I don't do that anymroe.
----

12.12.2007 - 21:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 12.12.2007 at 20:57

Hmm Im not sure if that would be the cause or not.

Has anyone ever taken a clothe and ran it down the string to collect rust? I used to do it now and then just to see how much I could collect. Then I realized it made my strings sound odd, so I don't do that anymroe.

i do that, but not for rust(odd, it seems my strings almost never rust), i do it to just get them cleaner, but it never made them sound weird.

btw you're a floor guard? wtf is that?
12.12.2007 - 21:06
Lord TJ

Written by Valentin B on 12.12.2007 at 21:02

i do that, but not for rust(odd, it seems my strings almost never rust), i do it to just get them cleaner, but it never made them sound weird.

Your strings almost never rust eh? Lucky...

About my job, its a crappy one, I work at a skating rink. I make sure junk is off the floor, I tell people what to do, and I control what happens and enforce rules.
----

12.12.2007 - 21:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 12.12.2007 at 21:06

Written by Valentin B on 12.12.2007 at 21:02

Your strings almost never rust eh? Lucky...

About my job, its a crappy one, I work at a skating rink. I make sure junk is off the floor, I tell people what to do, and I control what happens and enforce rules.

great dude, be thankful cause at least you have a job

but as for rust, i think it's relative to how much humidity there is in the air and stuff, also if you live by the sea it's natural to rust, also what floor you live on, i live about 50 feet from the ground on the 5th floor so there isn't much humidity, which is as i noticed mostly on ground level.
12.12.2007 - 21:13
Lord TJ

Written by Valentin B on 12.12.2007 at 21:09

but as for rust, i think it's relative to how much humidity there is in the air and stuff, also if you live by the sea it's natural to rust, also what floor you live on, i live about 50 feet from the ground on the 5th floor so there isn't much humidity, which is as i noticed mostly on ground level.

I live in a house, so im on ground level, I live about 45 minutes away from the Great Lakes, do I live close enough to water for that to be a factor on me for rust?
----

12.12.2007 - 21:54
Varegan
Hamranakara
Ernie Ball is the best if you look for lifetime. i can use its 0.9 for 2 month
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
12.12.2007 - 22:32
RockeRoy

I use DR strings DR extra life they are Coated and last atleast 3 times longer! i had mine for a month now and i play 6 hours a day! they are realy good and i think dey sound a little better than other strings, and they are black and look's cool! i think Dimbag used them at his last years! www,DRstrings.com
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
12.12.2007 - 22:33
RockeRoy

www.DRstrings.com
----

Walk with me in hell
12.12.2007 - 22:34
RockeRoy

www.DRstrings.com
----

Walk with me in hell
12.12.2007 - 22:35
RockeRoy

sorry for posting so many times the same ting, but i can't seem to manage to make it a link
----

Walk with me in hell
12.12.2007 - 22:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
@TJ it's not exactly that simple, you need to consider also other factors like if you wash you hands before you practice, if your hand gets sweaty while playing, but the fact that you are living so close to the Great Lakes is also something to be taken into consideration, but there are lots of other stuff involved
12.12.2007 - 23:21
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Lord TJ on 12.12.2007 at 21:13

Written by Valentin B on 12.12.2007 at 21:09

I live in a house, so im on ground level, I live about 45 minutes away from the Great Lakes, do I live close enough to water for that to be a factor on me for rust?

the only reason for rust is perspiring your hand while playing. try to play with dried hands.
----

13.12.2007 - 00:01
RockeRoy

use guitar string cleaner and lubricant
----

Walk with me in hell
13.12.2007 - 02:52
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
im not sure about you guys,. but i hate changing stirings, i do such an awful job as well its jsust so frustrating...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
13.12.2007 - 06:25
Lord TJ

Written by Varegan on 12.12.2007 at 23:21

the only reason for rust is perspiring your hand while playing. try to play with dried hands.

I do what I can, usually after a while of playing my hands start to sweat, I usually wash my hands before I play as well, helps delay hand sweating.
----

13.12.2007 - 11:41
Stalker
Lone wanderer
I dont know for electric guitar, I always get different thing, and I dont play tat much, so my strings can last year without a problem.... But for classical guitar I always buy DiAddario or D'Agustines nylon strings, theyr are prett good....
----
13.12.2007 - 14:23
Grimurc

I always use a cheap solution: D'addario .010 - .046 and .009 - .042 very good quality strings and cheap. and for the noobs it has coloured ball ends so you always place them right.... i also used ernie balls and they where good too. very long-life quality. but i prefer d'addario
----
Still drinking,-
13.12.2007 - 19:57
Lord TJ

I got these thick Ernie Ball once, and the 6th string was so thick it broke my nut, (no, not the body part).
----

13.12.2007 - 21:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 13.12.2007 at 19:57

I got these thick Ernie Ball once, and the 6th string was so thick it broke my nut, (no, not the body part).

the ernie BALL broke my NUT

but that's the price for having such robust and long lasting strings. try the 0.10 regular slinky's custom gauge if you're gonna buy any strings soon. i've had some bad experiences with d'addario strings when i got a high E string when the factory E string broke. it broke during tuning, then got another d'addario, who broke 2 days later! got a no-name romanian string which was cheaper also and it lasted for a month or so just enough for me to get ernie ball-illuminated lol
13.12.2007 - 21:08
Lord TJ

Is there such thing as strings that dont rust at all?
----

13.12.2007 - 21:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Lord TJ on 13.12.2007 at 21:08

yeah, they're called nylon strings
13.12.2007 - 21:22
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Lord TJ on 13.12.2007 at 21:08

the only metal that never get rust is Gold!!!! and silver also have good resistance. but gold is not strong enough to be a guitar string.so they always use silver and steel composition to make long life strings
----

15.12.2007 - 00:00
KryptoN
imperceptible
I haven't tried a lot of different strings, but I currently use Elixir Nanoweb Heavy coated strings with B or Drop-A tunings. Very slick and easy to slide around the fretboard. I can't see any signs of rust or other damage after about 3-4 months of usage.
18.12.2007 - 20:14
Lord TJ

Written by KryptoN on 15.12.2007 at 00:00

I haven't tried a lot of different strings, but I currently use Elixir Nanoweb Heavy coated strings with B or Drop-A tunings. Very slick and easy to slide around the fretboard. I can't see any signs of rust or other damage after about 3-4 months of usage.

3-4 months is pretty good, I will have to check those out. Mine last about a month or so lol.
----

19.12.2007 - 00:54
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Lord TJ on 18.12.2007 at 20:14

3-4 months is pretty good, I will have to check those out. Mine last about a month or so lol.

Well on average I play 1-2 hours a day, sometimes more. If you play more they probably won't last that long.