04. The Beginning of the End [Ladytron version]
05. Survivalism [Saul Williams version]
06. Capital G [Epworth Phones version]
07. Vessel [Bill Laswell version]
08. The Warning [Stefan Goodchild and Doudou N'Diaye Rose version]
09. Meet Your Master [The Faint version]
10. God Given [Stephen Morris & Gillian Gilbert version]
11. Me, I'm Not [Olof Dreijer version]
12. Another Version of the Truth [Kronos Quartet & Enrique Gonzalez Müller version]
13. In This Twilight [Fennesz version]
14. Zero-Sum [Stephen Morris & Gillian Gilbert version]

Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D, besides having the most annoying title possible for a reviewer to type into a review (I'm not doing it again, thats for sure), is a fairly well realised remix album and worth hearing for anyone who enjoyed this year's Year Zero. Like most remix albums, this is by no means a must-have release; however, it provides enough truly inspired re-imagined versions of the original songs and flows well enough to earn a recommendation from me.

The album kicks off with Saul Williams making "Hyperpower!", originally merely an intro to Year Zero, into a compact and visceral aggressive hip-hop track, a move that sounds almost planned considering Williams' involvement in the original album. More highlights follow. Modwheelmood's version of "The Great Destoryer" turns the heavy original into a haunting and somewhat creepy piece, while the Ladytron remix of "The Beginning Of The End" is as close as it gets to what Year Zero would sound like if Trent decided to make it a modern Downward Spiral (going as far as including samples from the classic album). Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert (New Order) similarly apply a familiar industrial rock treatment to the two tracks they remix. Meanwhile, Olof Dreijer (The Knife) creates his own minimalist music out of "Me, I'm Not", seemingly without any regard for the original piece. The blipcore raver "Capital G" and electroclash "Meet Your Master" must also be heard to be believed.

Perhaps inevitably, next to the above excellent remixes, Bill Laswell's (Praxis, Painkiller) somewhat pedestrian metallic dub version of "Vessel" fails to impress. The same is true of Saul Williams' second contribution "Survivalism". The remaining remixes are also somewhat lackluster, although this is only due to the unfortunate juxtaposition with the much superior attempts described above.

Still, even with the few lackluster tracks, Halo 25 flows extremely well as an album, which is quite an achievement for a compilation of remixes. Reznor seems to really be in one of his creative peaks these days and the excellent choice of contributors for this album proves it.

Written on 13.12.2007 by With Metal Storm since 2002, jupitreas has been subjecting the masses to his reviews for quite a while now. He lives in Warsaw, Poland, where he does his best to avoid prosecution for being so cool.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 102 users
13.12.2007 - 23:50
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Not that I don't like NIN, I really like them but maybe it's a little step to far away from metalstorm's domains? Not that I think it's wrong that a higher variety of albums get reviewed here but it just doesn't fit the name "metalstorm" in some way
Don't like this remix that much though. Prefer the orignal - it already sounds "remixed" ^^
14.12.2007 - 00:21
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Stop complaining. Our policy is to review metal and related albums. Albums that fans of metal might like or be interested in, within reasonable limits. This is well within these limits.
14.12.2007 - 01:02
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
I've been skeptical since the last good NIN remix album was "Further Down the Spiral" (One of the best examples of well done remix album), and has none of the original remixers from that era. After reading this, I think I will check out Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D after all. Since it seems like a good listen, and a nice a companion to Year Zero
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
14.12.2007 - 01:21
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Ah, I didn't know about this. Remix albums generally suck, but I'd like to hear the Saul Williams versions.
14.12.2007 - 01:46
PrettyMao

Aren't remix albums just one step away from Jock Jam albums?
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
14.12.2007 - 03:10
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I think Jock Jams are "compilations." I have enjoyed Trent's remixes in the past, usually hit or miss, but at least he has the dedication and the balls. I've never heard of a metal band trying to start a interactive website where fans can post their remixes. Nice review, I am pleased with this album for the most part.

"apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me" -TR
14.12.2007 - 04:18
ArcanaHereticae

Written by PrettyMao on 14.12.2007 at 01:46

I fell out of my chair when I read that.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
14.12.2007 - 18:27
PrettyMao

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 14.12.2007 at 04:18

Perhaps you should invest in a better chair.
----
The Mao loves you all!!!

**KISS**KISS**
14.12.2007 - 18:39
ArcanaHereticae

Written by PrettyMao on 14.12.2007 at 18:27

Written by ArcanaHereticae on 14.12.2007 at 04:18

Perhaps you should invest in a better chair.

Asshole. That was a compliment on how funny you saying that was.
----
The nectar ov Thy rage,
I taste from the cup ov fornication.
And woman by my side,
And scarlet is her skin.
She's eager to rise,
And so eager to please.
17.12.2007 - 09:57
FOOCK Nam

The cover is nice...
26.12.2007 - 21:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
Gay title, stuff like that makes me mad!
----
30.06.2009 - 08:01
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
It looks VERY interesting. I'll definetly check this out.

Perfect cover indeed, and the title is also cool
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 6578 | This month: 8