Metal Storm logo
Baroness

15.12.2007 - 08:25
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist

Baroness are a sludge band of the atmospheric variety not too much unlike Isis, but far more dynamic and less minimalistic than Isis (though I obviously like Isis better) - the combo makes for an interesting change. They hail from the US and are quite awesome. I have The Red Album with me and I think it's fantastic. The vocals remind me very much of Aaron Turner's vocals. Any fans?

I think you can listen to some songs here => http://www.yourbaroness.com/
MySpace => http://www.myspace.com/yourbaroness

Fucking great artwork as well!
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
15.12.2007 - 22:54
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I was planning to order the new CD, but haven't had the chance yet. The new album isn't as good as some other sludge releases this year but still very good and worth listening - especially songs like "Wanderlust" and "Wailing Wintry Wind". They have progressed since their EP-s imo - more varied and diverse.
16.12.2007 - 10:20
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Since we're on the topic, which do you think are the good sludge releases this year?
----
"You're all the same, the lot of you, with your long hair and faggot clothes. Drugs, sex, every sort of filth. And you hate the police, don't you? You make it easy."
16.12.2007 - 14:19
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I really enjoy Rwake and their latest album Voices of Omens. The album is so massive and somewhat really extreme - the song "Crooked Rivers" shows it very well. Also Bloody Panda with their Pheromone - it took some time to grow into. The songs sound so hypnotic and once you started to like it there is no turning back. Some say it is not pure sludge, but more a mixture between drone and sludge - I am not a big drone expert so I can't say the exact style. But there are also Neurosis - Given to the Rising (I really like Steve Von Till's side project so Neurosis has some pretty interesting elements to offer), The Dead See - Through The Veil and Gospel of the Future - Gospel of the Future. And of course Baroness - The Red Album.

At the moment discovering Generation Of Vipers new album.
16.12.2007 - 21:20
CrypticMyth
Metal Scientist
Ah nice! I loved the Rwake as well (maybe that album merits a thread as well?)... The Neurosis was really cool too. Haven't heard Bloody Panda or The Dead See or Gospel Of The Future. Thanks for the recos. though. Coming to some more sludge releases, I thought that the new Rosetta was awesome. Have you heard the new Mistress/Oxbow? I quite enjoyed those too.
----
16.12.2007 - 22:01
UnholyMenace
Psycho
Haven't heard Mistress, but Rosetta seems to be pretty interesting - definitely going to check them out. I really enjoy good atmospheric sludge like Cult of Luna or Steve Von Till - I'd also add Isis to that list.
08.01.2008 - 01:59
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by CrypticMyth on 16.12.2007 at 10:20

Since we're on the topic, which do you think are the good sludge releases this year?

The Corrupted EPs are the best sludge shit released this year.

I also think that Woodworm did an amazing job with "Starvation", although is less sludge than their debut
20.01.2008 - 10:50
deadset61
Account deleted
I actually like this band a lot. Im hoping i can go see them live in April with Ghengis Tron, The Red Chord, and Converge.
29.08.2008 - 13:50
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Love love love the Red Album (and that album art is exquisite). I don't think the Mastodon comparisions are justified (not just because I don't enjoy mastodon). I think Baroness, although vaguely similar in style have a very different approach to Mastodon, certainly somewhat more progressive. Overall excellent band with a rich sound that promotes the atmosphere to something far superior than most sludge bands.
29.08.2008 - 13:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 08.01.2008 at 01:59

I also think that Woodworm did an amazing job with "Starvation", although is less sludge than their debut

Don't you mean Woodworm?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2008 - 14:10
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.08.2008 at 13:55

Don't you mean Woodworm?

No, I don't mean Woodworm... I actually wanted to mean WORMWOOD
29.08.2008 - 14:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 29.08.2008 at 14:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.08.2008 at 13:55

Don't you mean Woodworm?

No, I don't mean Woodworm... I actually wanted to mean WORMWOOD

damn, what is it with that name, that I quote you, want to correct you, and then type the exact same name you typed?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2008 - 23:39
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I just finished listening to the red album for the first time since i got it today, and wow ... it's brilliant, everything on this record just clicks with me, instantly. Talk about really good musicianship, a good sense of creativity and amazing atmosphere, it just blew me away.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
01.10.2009 - 18:17
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Has anyone gave a listen to the new songs ? It's sounding pretty tight so far, I think this will be another great album but I'm not so sure if it will top Red.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
01.10.2009 - 18:27
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Visioneerie on 01.10.2009 at 18:17

Has anyone gave a listen to the new songs ? It's sounding pretty tight so far, I think this will be another great album but I'm not so sure if it will top Red.

I haven't listened to Red but I've heard great things about it. So I checked the new album hoping to hear something great but it's quite bland imo. Also other people I know that ADORE Red think the same about this new one. Kylesa did better this year.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.10.2009 - 02:32
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Elio on 01.10.2009 at 18:27

Written by Visioneerie on 01.10.2009 at 18:17

I haven't listened to Red but I've heard great things about it. So I checked the new album hoping to hear something great but it's quite bland imo. Also other people I know that ADORE Red think the same about this new one. Kylesa did better this year.

It's funny you should say that since not to long ago when I listened to their new stuff off of their myspace I was rather disapointed. It's just this morning that I listened to the 3-4 songs again and thought that it was pretty good. I don't know about the whole album yet, maybe it's a grower, or maybe there was just something wrong with me this morning haha. I've never listened to Kylesa before, I'll give them a try.
----
02.10.2009 - 03:52
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I can't wait to hear Blue, and yeah, I checked the myspace awhile ago too, and what i heard wasn't that great, but I'm still gonna give it a shot. It's worth to buy alone because of the cover art anyways IMO
02.10.2009 - 15:51
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by spirit_inblack on 02.10.2009 at 03:52

I can't wait to hear Blue, and yeah, I checked the myspace awhile ago too, and what i heard wasn't that great, but I'm still gonna give it a shot. It's worth to buy alone because of the cover art anyways IMO

What do you think about 'A Horse Called Golgotha' ? I don't know how long ago you've checked it but they added 2 new songs. The one I just mentioned is really good imo. Yeah the cover art is nice, did you notice anything about the eggs
----
02.10.2009 - 19:44
spirit_inblack
harshhead
Written by Visioneerie on 02.10.2009 at 15:51

Written by spirit_inblack on 02.10.2009 at 03:52

What do you think about 'A Horse Called Golgotha' ? I don't know how long ago you've checked it but they added 2 new songs. The one I just mentioned is really good imo. Yeah the cover art is nice, did you notice anything about the eggs

Tbh, I hadn't given it THAT close of a look before, but you influenced me to look at it closer this time lol... damn you. haha.
And I will certainly check that song out, because I don't think I heard it before, because it was a while ago that I listened to the new stuff on their myspace.
20.11.2009 - 12:10
benvolent
Guys! Check out the videos of Baroness! It is only two, but especially the live-version of Wanderlust is extremely enjoyable... and both seem to be made hilariously cheap. Quite good, though.
----
The struggle to free myself of restraints, becomes my very shackles
20.11.2009 - 23:18
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I saw them live with Opeth and high on fire in october of 08. I still haven't really got into them but they put on a great show. I've listened to them a few times since then and I definitly can say I like their sound. I think I might look into getting the red album if I like it enough.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
04.04.2011 - 08:44
Guib
Thrash Talker
I simply love this band... Blue Record being my favorite work by the band.. its awesome
I also loved the Red Album.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.04.2011 - 20:41
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
I wonder when they'll start work on the follow up to Blue Record...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.04.2011 - 22:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 04.04.2011 at 20:41

I'll bet it will be the Yellow record. You know... Gotta start with the basic colours.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.04.2011 - 22:37
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.04.2011 at 22:13

I'll bet it will be the Yellow record. You know... Gotta start with the basic colours.

lol could be ... or maybe they're actully bored of colours Idk ... i don't really mind
as long as they release something new
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.04.2011 - 23:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

Nope not Yellow Record but Yellow Disc or Yellow Tape, because we already had Album and Record
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.04.2011 - 05:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.04.2011 at 23:23

Nope not Yellow Record but Yellow Disc or Yellow Tape, because we already had Album and Record

Haha lol yeah makes sense its probly gonna be Tape idk sounds better than disc.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
27.04.2011 - 14:49
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
I think the follow up would be Green considering they've done 2 of the primary colours
Anyway these guys are one of my favourite bands and I love John's art. Both albums were awesome, i still prefer the red album a tad bit more than the blue record. I can't wait to see what they do on their next effort. Looking forward to the artwork as well
I just ordered a blue record tee
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
26.05.2011 - 20:50
Silent Jay
Yeah probably Yellow... something. or surprise everyone and have something different because that what we would expect.

Baroness are a fucking awesome band. One of my favorite current bands I would say. and John Baizleys artwork is just incredible.
02.10.2011 - 21:56
The Void
Any news from the third album?
----
All that we see or seem is a dream within a dream.