Poll

Which do you think is better

Old Nightwish
New Nightwish

Total votes: 67
21.02.2008 - 04:18
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
I've searched and searched and Im surprised this hasn't been created.

Im curious.

For me, I choose the old nightwish. Tarja perfected nightwish. Well Anette is "good" but not perfect.

Well there has been a turning direction towards the sound. But the new album sounds abit like the old songs... Not the singing. But some parts of the songs. Somehow I dont think Nightwish is "original" anymore.
They were once, when I discovered them, I madly fell in love and hoped for them to go on forever. Too bad my hoping was bad.

Mainly I fell in love with the deep emotion Tarja put into those ballads. In a way you feel emotion. Either positive or negative. It was always fun for me to realize how I react towards the songs.
21.02.2008 - 12:35
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Pretty surprised that this poll hasn't been made before and was almost certain it had when I saw it in the list.

Never mind. My vote goes to "Old Nightwish" not because of Tarja, but because of the music. I just prefer the sound and emotions of the old songs (ok I admit Tarja has something to do with my vote as well, but I just prefer her voice over Anette's).
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.02.2008 - 13:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
obviously old nightwish..
i don't think they will ever be as great as on their first 3 albums

(WORTHLESS POLL ALERT)
21.02.2008 - 14:19
Warman
Erotic Stains
Tarja's voice is one of my favourite voices in the music scene. Anette is good but boring. Musically Dark Passion Play is good, sometimes great... but can't IMO be compared to the music Tuomas created during the years '98-'04. I guess without Tarja the music are without the same (requiered) atmosphere. So my choice was easy.
----
21.02.2008 - 16:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
You CAN NOT compare Dark Passion Play with a masterpiece as Wishmaster or Ocean Born...

It's impossible.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

21.02.2008 - 17:24
Abattoir
Staff
Well I dont't know. The old staff is realy great for sure, but this latest album with Anette's vocal isn't bad too...
21.02.2008 - 17:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.02.2008 at 16:15

You CAN NOT compare Dark Passion Play with a masterpiece as Wishmaster or Ocean Born...

It's impossible.

Couldn't agree with you more brother.
----
21.02.2008 - 20:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
What a poll but how the ..... we can talk about new NW that band hs only onne album whit Anete, whan thay be realise 2-4 I will say who's better but now I will sy I like Old because maybe I lie more firts 2-3 albums better of band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.02.2008 - 20:36
Varegan
Hamranakara
everybody loved nightwish for Tarja. nightwish means Tarja!!!
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)

23.02.2008 - 19:39
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
i am with new Nightwish...their concert at Wednesday was just unbelievable experience for me...i wont be looking back to past but will be looking forward to future
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

23.02.2008 - 22:56
selken
Irreligious
Written by Valentin B on 21.02.2008 at 13:30

(WORTHLESS POLL ALERT)

Not really, its just too early for it.
----
24.02.2008 - 02:04
Lord of Entropy
Account deleted
I have to agree that the new Nightwish lineup hasnt released enough material to compare to the older incarnation with Tarja IMO.

Although I would say that I did enjoy their first 3 albums more then Dark Passion Play.

I agree with cock_spit in the fact that Nightwish's sound is no longer original and that they lost a lot when Tarja's operatic vocal style left. To me Anna sounds alot like Evanescense, and thats not good.
24.02.2008 - 03:09
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
This is a no-brainer (no pun intended.) Oceanborn had everything. Dark Passion Play only had one song that really stood out for me, Last Of The Wilds. Maybe I'll start an old Metallica vs. new Metallica thread.
24.02.2008 - 04:46
Thrashette
I see where this is going....
This looks more like "Nightwish with Tarja vs Nightwish with Annette" or "Dark Passion Play vs all other NW albums"
My vote goes for old Nightwish, but I'm one of the fans who love both the old stuff and the new stuff. There isn't a single Nightwish album that I don't like, even though there are certain ones that I love more than others.
There's too many Nightwish fans who just dismiss Annette as a pop singer and don't give her enough of a chance. Sure, she may never be Tarja, but that doesn't mean everyone should whine about it and talk about how much they hate her every time someone mentions Nightwish.
24.02.2008 - 10:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well me personally think Oceanborn and Wishmaster albums are much better than DPP too...but i never saw NW with Tarja live, but i saw "new" Nightwish with Anette and the show was so awesome, i voted for them here...and i believe it will be better and better as the days will flow
----

24.02.2008 - 12:24
Elodie Artour
Slania
I chose the old Nightwish because I don't like Anette.(Well,it's not that I hate her voice or something,actually I like it ,but compared to Tarja,Anette is not a great singer.And I think that in general,too. )

Also,the old Nightwish has its wonderful songs,and I can't say that for most of the new ones.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
24.02.2008 - 13:54
Skald
Account deleted
Written by Varegan on 21.02.2008 at 20:36

I actually disliked Nightwish for Tarja :S
I didn't really ever give the lyrics a closer look, but judging by Tarja's singing every single "old" Nightwish song was about the exactly same fudging thing. She's not nearly as good as people seem to believe she is.
As to Anette, she still seems to lack in many parts, and certainly has less skills than Tarja, but heck. At least she's not as boring.

If there's something that can really elevate "old" Nightwish for me, it would be the rest of the Nightwish music elements, I guess. But it's probably too early to judge that part.
24.02.2008 - 15:51
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by [user id=1868] on 24.02.2008 at 13:54

Written by Varegan on 21.02.2008 at 20:36

I actually disliked Nightwish for Tarja :S
I didn't really ever give the lyrics a closer look, but judging by Tarja's singing every single "old" Nightwish song was about the exactly same fudging thing. She's not nearly as good as people seem to believe she is.
As to Anette, she still seems to lack in many parts, and certainly has less skills than Tarja, but heck. At least she's not as boring.

If there's something that can really elevate "old" Nightwish for me, it would be the rest of the Nightwish music elements, I guess. But it's probably too early to judge that part.

you are right.she was not so cool.but old nightwish was one the first band I listened to.I cant wash Tarja's memory from my mind
----

24.02.2008 - 18:12
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Varegan on 24.02.2008 at 15:51
old nightwish was one the first band I listened to.I cant wash Tarja's memory from my mind

for me NW was also the first...but i have no problem with washing Tarja out from my memory and accepting Anette
----

24.02.2008 - 19:16
Torelli
What is new nightwish exactly? I feel that Nigthwish has three music periods: Angels fall first - Wishmaster with Sami in the band, that is the old sound. Then we have Century Child - Once era, with Marco onboard and with a newier, more radio-friendly sound. Last, we have the "dark passion play" era, with Tarja kicked out and Anette onboard, the "new" sound I suppose.

I like all periods, even if Once were a little weaker(but still good).I'm going to vote for "new" nightwish, beacuse this poll will obvoiusly going to lean on old nightwish(and that I actually really liked "dark passion play", of course). But it wouldn't suprise me if the upcoming albums will become huge disapointments, just beacuse I resonate like this.
24.02.2008 - 21:42
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Ellrohir on 24.02.2008 at 18:12

Written by Varegan on 24.02.2008 at 15:51
old nightwish was one the first band I listened to.I cant wash Tarja's memory from my mind

for me NW was also the first...but i have no problem with washing Tarja out from my memory and accepting Anette

I don't have the same problem too.but when I look at Anette, I cant deny they are trying to make her look like Tarja. she reminds me Tarja!!!
----

24.02.2008 - 21:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well...me doesnt remind Tarja at all...the way she's singing, the way she's moving, the way she's communicating with the crowd, the way she's dressed up...she has tattoos...
----

26.02.2008 - 06:52
NOИ
definitely OLD! before Tarja left the band, and before they're turning into mainstream shit like Once...
29.03.2008 - 00:08
Evil Chip
The new nightwish only has one album so there's no sense in comparing both. This discussion should be about your favourite nightiwsh singer.
29.03.2008 - 09:32
Hellish Star
old, Tarja can't be replaced
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
29.03.2008 - 14:17
HELLilac
There's no comparison.

Tarja's voice's made for Nightwish music. Nightwish's still great though but they've lost some magic..
----
AS SOON AS YOU'RE BORN, YOU'RE DYING..
29.03.2008 - 14:17
RhysTerk
New Nightwish, because i don't like opera xD
03.05.2008 - 20:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
for me nightwish was good with Tarja and i like The half-Past part of That time.
03.10.2008 - 17:23
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Without think the Old. The new Nightwish is shitty.
Bring back the Old Vocal!
03.10.2008 - 18:01
Janne
Hugin
This poll is absolutely pointless. Of course, the old nightwish was great but i can't adjudge the new nightwish after only one album. They must release at least one more album to be able to compare the 2 eras.
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-