Metal Storm logo
Vio-lence

08.07.2006 - 04:30
Telrédion86
Account deleted
A now split-up thrash metal band from the USA. Their first album, "Eternal Nightmare", was released in 1988. It was later followed by two more studio albums, "Oppressing the Masses" (1990) and "Nothing To Gain" (1993).

I don't they are featured yet here on Metalstorm, but they do have a profile on Metal Archives: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=373

Anyone familiar with them?
08.07.2006 - 23:51
Hellish Star
"Eternal nightmare" is for sure one of my favourite thrash metal albums with songs like "Phobophobia", "Serial killer" and "Bodies on bodies". Damn, such a shame they aren't really active anymore. Sean Killian has an outstanding voice. All their stuff is awesome but "Eternal nightmare" is a classical album that should be in your collection... Other songs that should convince you are "Officer nice", "Profit"....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
09.07.2006 - 00:04
Hellish Star
Sean's vocal lines are so unique.... It's love it ore hate it but I just love it.

Other favourite bands from that period were Agent Steel and Forbidden...
----

09.07.2006 - 23:49
Mega-Slayer
It is good to see a thread for Vio-Lence,I should've started one a long time ago.Anyway I have a burnt copy of "Eternal Nightmare" and think it is an exceptional album.I haven't heard any of their other material,is it good or bad?
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
09.07.2006 - 23:51
Mega-Slayer
Written by Hellish Star on 09.07.2006 at 00:04

Sean's vocal lines are so unique.... It's love it ore hate it but I just love it.

Other favourite bands from that period were Agent Steel and Forbidden...

I did start a thread about forbidden awhile back,they are another underatted thrash band from the bay area,that needs more recognition.
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
30.07.2006 - 00:43
Pyro
Account deleted
Vio-lence are an amazing band. Sean Killian may not have the technique, but he sings like a machine-gun, so fast and vio-lent , he has a truly agressive voice, which I think fits perfectly in Vio-lence's music. Eternal Nightmare is obviously my favorite album by them. Favorite track: Serial Killer.
12.08.2006 - 08:05
Timelord
I still have a free demo cassette that you could send off for before the release of eternal nightmare. Parapalegic is on it. I LOVE this band. This is classic thrash metal at its best. I thought after the release of oppressing the masses that vio-lence would take off but it never quite happened. Damn shame IMO!! Great Band no doubt!!!
13.08.2006 - 00:05
tattootildeath
Account deleted
yeah, i remember them......fuck did they kick ass! i thought sean killian held them back greatly, but i overlooked his shitty singing......the musicianship was so undeniably tight and lethal! other bay area's worth mentioning were death angel, forbidden, testament, exodus, and heathen to name a few.
14.08.2006 - 14:55
Varoth
Account deleted
Their music is great, but I could never get into them, because of those vocals. They annoy the fuck out of me, it sounds like some redneck singing :/
14.08.2006 - 19:44
Hellish Star
Written by [user id=2416] on 14.08.2006 at 14:55

Their music is great, but I could never get into them, because of those vocals. They annoy the fuck out of me, it sounds like some redneck singing :/

----

14.08.2006 - 19:49
Snake-Eye
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 08.07.2006 at 23:51

"Eternal nightmare" is for sure one of my favourite thrash metal albums with songs like "Phobophobia", "Serial killer" and "Bodies on bodies". Damn, such a shame they aren't really active anymore. Sean Killian has an outstanding voice. All their stuff is awesome but "Eternal nightmare" is a classical album that should be in your collection... Other songs that should convince you are "Officer nice", "Profit"....

Not hard to second that!
14.08.2006 - 23:48
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Downloaded some shit from them. Damn, that's good!

Wish I heard them before.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
15.09.2006 - 13:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree whit Nervel i had listen them album some time ago and i know thay are one of old school bay area thrash bands and band are great and intresting, but i dont like that name it remaind sme Bulldozer, venom style band names not thrash

You can listen them here
http://www.vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Violence.html
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.11.2006 - 22:58
Megadeth88
Vio-Lence is an excellent thrash band. Robb Flynn, and Phil Demmel put out some wicked ass solos. It's sad that Machine Head can't be as hard as Vio-Lence.
02.12.2007 - 21:48
Bow To Cheese!!!
Account deleted
Great underated Thrash band, musically I loved them from the first time I heard them, the vocals however I didn't like at first, but after a week or so I liked the vocals too .
04.12.2007 - 11:22
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Neat and killer band IMO.
09.01.2008 - 13:18
Fucked Upstairs.
Account deleted
Vio-Lence is one of my all-time fav. thrash metal bands, and I've gotta damit, at first I had huge problems with the vocals, but after 2-3 listens it didn't bother me anymore. Riffs, riffs, riffs! Ordered an eternal nightmare backpatch yesterday and can't wait for it's arrival
30.01.2008 - 03:03
Inlé
Ooh, didn't notice this topic before.

Vio-Lence are a great band, Eternal Nightmare especially is a killer album, and Oppressing the Masses isn't damn bad either, you've just got to love those uber riffs and gang vocals and general franticness, it's what the core of thrash is all about.

The vocals are of course slightly different, but really, they aren't that much of a big deal or as hard to get into as people seem to think... Personally I can't really imagine Vio-Lence without those vocals, it seems to fit in with their frantic thrash style perfectly.
16.01.2009 - 02:32
JENNYJUDAS87
Account deleted
Vio-lence one of the BEST thrash bands of all time!!!yes indeed!!!!
20.01.2009 - 04:04
toxik-
Account deleted
One of the best thrash metal bands ever! From ¨Eternal Nightmare¨ to ¨Torture Tactics¨ they are just INCREDIBLE!
20.01.2009 - 04:32
Demonmayonnaise
Ive always heard they were killer, havent got a chance to hear them yet though. Cant go wrong with old-school thrash though.
12.05.2009 - 04:31
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Their live recording in 2001 for the Chuck Billy benefit concert that comes with the re-issue of Eternal Nightmare is my favorite Vio-Lence album. It's energetic as fuck and the sound quality is great.
17.05.2009 - 22:38
Saitenhexerin
A Vio-Lence Thread! My god, that's killer! ^^

Written by Dangerboner on 12.05.2009 at 04:31

Their live recording in 2001 for the Chuck Billy benefit concert that comes with the re-issue of Eternal Nightmare is my favorite Vio-Lence album. It's energetic as fuck and the sound quality is great.

when I read your post, I knew I had to have this, I just found it on amazon! Thanks!

I love Eternal Nightmare, for me it is the Thrash Metal with the most aggressive vocals, you just want to scream along lol
IMHO also Oppressing the Masses is a good album.
Man I just love all these real Bay Area Veterans!
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
20.05.2009 - 19:01
Hellish Star
Written by Saitenhexerin on 17.05.2009 at 22:38

I love Eternal Nightmare, for me it is the Thrash Metal with the most aggressive vocals, you just want to scream along lol
IMHO also Oppressing the Masses is a good album.
Man I just love all these real Bay Area Veterans!

You're not the only one
----

27.05.2009 - 16:43
NorwayIlona
Account deleted
Yeah, I've listened to Vio-lence for ages.
They have some great shit
29.05.2009 - 17:46
Søren
Lord of the Mosh
Elite
One of my all-time favorites, though Sean's vocals are not for everyone. I saw them in '91 on the OTM tour, which was renamed the World in a World tour and unofficially dubbed the "Torture Tactics BANNED Tour" - one of the best shows I've ever been to.

If you haven't heard them, check them out, but stay away from Nothing to Gain - there's a reason it's never been reissued and the band didn't play any of those songs live when they reunited a few years ago: it's a horrible album from top to bottom.
14.12.2009 - 11:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It's really hard to describe the briliance of the vocals. Sure, Sean probably doesn't have much talent when it comes to vibrato, falsetto, or just pure singing talent, but his vocal lines are absolutely brilliant. Take Phobophobia, Calling in the Coroner, T.D.S., and Liquid Courage for example. The way he shouts the lyrics with the vocal patterns makes the songs not only memorable, but gives them personality. Out of all ~1200 CD's I own (and probably two or three times as much burned and downloaded), the re-release of Eternal Nightmare and Live at Slim's is my favorite album I've ever bought, and I've had that opinion for a while now.

It's just a shame that Oppressing the Masses has such bad production because the songs are amazing. But, most of them are on the live album, thankfully, with much improved quality.

Written by Søren on 29.05.2009 at 17:46

One of my all-time favorites, though Sean's vocals are not for everyone. I saw them in '91 on the OTM tour, which was renamed the World in a World tour and unofficially dubbed the "Torture Tactics BANNED Tour" - one of the best shows I've ever been to.

If you haven't heard them, check them out, but stay away from Nothing to Gain - there's a reason it's never been reissued and the band didn't play any of those songs live when they reunited a few years ago: it's a horrible album from top to bottom.

They actually did with Ageless Eyes and it sounds great. But yeah, that was the only song they played from that album and I've been a little skeptical with that release, so I've never bothered with it and probably never will.
14.12.2009 - 19:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Personally, i really dig Sean Killian's vocal cadence. "Eternal Nightmare" is probably one of my top 5 favorite thrash albums.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.12.2009 - 06:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I just got their DVD, which has a 90 minute documentary about them and the Bay Area thrash scene on one disc and three concerts on the other.

Some amusing things were the old bassist being interviewed from what appeared to be his prison cell and the bits about their manager who, at the time, was a 55 year old woman. Now, she must be 70-something but she was interviewed and I had to laugh a little when she talked about bands like Fordidden and Vio-Lence Hell yeah metal grandma hell yeah

I bought it from Amazon, used, for about $2 before shipping. There's still a few copies left for that price.
30.12.2009 - 22:17
mortjoyeux
This band is killer. their eternal nightmare album is excellent and sean killian's voice is too good..doesn't take away from the music, they fit perfectly together.
real shitty how they split up, though their follow up albums to eternal nightmare weren't all that AMAZING, they still own in the thrash genre.