Metal Storm logo
Mayhem

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 01.11.2006 - 22:30
No official Mayhem thread? Weird.

You all know the band, no need for an introduction. Discuss all Mayhem stuff here.

First, I'd like to start off with a question. Is anyone of you familiar with their live album Live In Zeitz?
I came across it lately, and was wondering if it is good. No, I am not talking about Live In Leipzig. Live In Zeitz has Dead on vocals, so I thought it would be nice to have that one, since there is not much of Dead besides Live In Leipzig and the Morbid/Mayhem split 'A Tribute To The Black Emperors'. Thank you!
19.06.2007 - 12:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I don't see why drums should always be used for time keeping, drums can also be leading instrument, but I guess people who are hugely into glam won't appreciate that fact for there drums are used only for time keeping.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.06.2007 - 13:12
Hembrom
Diabolic Priest
Written by NECURATU on 19.06.2007 at 12:22

Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2007 at 10:53

So I recently got 'Ordo Ad Chao' and I must admit it is a big pile of trash. Every single instrument appears to be playing different songs and Attilla doesnt seem to have any idea what hes doing, as if he is deciding on vocal style and lyrics on the spot. The guitar riffs are just terribly forgettable. And Hellhammers drumming....dont get me started on hellhammers drumming, he sounds absolutely drunk and is trying to solo his way through the entire album and doesnt give a shit about doing what drums are for....TIME KEEPING! In the last album atleast Hellhammers drumming was tasteful, its just atrociously offensive to my ears the entire way through.

Well back when the umbrella was invented everybody said it was such a stupid thing...i guesss that sticking to the exact same blueprint that everybody else uses would have made this an awsome album right?
It's Mayhem man, that's how things are supposed to be with this band. It's entirely possible they recored the whole thing in the graveyard after taking in a tank of booze, it wouldn't surprise me.
Of course it sucks for the mainstream consumer. Metal is finally getting mainstream, and that doesn't mean it's crappy, it just means that instead of being the middle finger pointed to the mass of stupidity humanity perspirates daily it ended up being an industry. And at the other pole lie the REALLY angry guys with "life is pain fukk me satan" attitude that are just the same.
And than this shit pops out. An old band that seems to be getting weaker and weaker. Yeah it sounds like hell, and Atilla screems like a schizophrenic words that don't make sense. I don't think they repeat a single bit through the hole thing. I don't think they keep time on the whole thing. I don't think they really care it's close to noise pollution.
And that's why this album is so great. Because it fukks in everything.

Later Edit: sweet Jesus, even the title is mispelled intentionally It's just made to be in such a way that no at least close to normal human being would like it. You just have to figure out how to grab it to make it have a sense.

I wonder why do you really think about the new mayhem release.

The album was weired creepy and very experimental. Not my kinda for sure ....
19.06.2007 - 14:22
NECURATU
dude, i decided to make a review and i just finished it...let's hope it makes the proof read and you'll see (:
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
19.06.2007 - 23:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Damnated on 19.06.2007 at 12:50

So I recently got 'Ordo Ad Chao' and I must admit it is a big pile of trash. Every single instrument appears to be playing different songs and Attilla doesnt seem to have any idea what hes doing, as if he is deciding on vocal style and lyrics on the spot. The guitar riffs are just terribly forgettable. And Hellhammers drumming....dont get me started on hellhammers drumming, he sounds absolutely drunk and is trying to solo his way through the entire album and doesnt give a shit about doing what drums are for....TIME KEEPING! In the last album atleast Hellhammers drumming was tasteful, its just atrociously offensive to my ears the entire way through.

it's obvious that you can't apreciate originality, and making ironic remarks about ordo ad chao just prooves how infantile you are.

Infantile because I think the drums sound like crap? Id rather have a decent sounding overused sound than an absolute crap original sound. The songs had next to no structure and hellhammers kit sounded like a v-kit with some trash can lids.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.06.2007 - 00:00
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.06.2007 at 12:55

I don't see why drums should always be used for time keeping, drums can also be leading instrument, but I guess people who are hugely into glam won't appreciate that fact for there drums are used only for time keeping.

I suppose your right, I can deal with drums as a lead instrument, but in this album it just seemed non-sensical and out of time.
----
- George Carlin
20.06.2007 - 01:20
NECURATU
Well, if you listen attentively you'll notice you'll be tapping your foot or finger whatever once in a while . Yes it sounds like complete chaos (duh...the title) but it actually isn't.
----
20.06.2007 - 09:32
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by NECURATU on 19.06.2007 at 14:22

dude, i decided to make a review and i just finished it...let's hope it makes the proof read and you'll see (:

Guest reviews arent accepted until 3 months after the albums release.
----
- George Carlin
20.06.2007 - 09:55
NECURATU
uh...damn :/
----
24.06.2007 - 22:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2007 at 23:36

Infantile because I think the drums sound like crap? Id rather have a decent sounding overused sound than an absolute crap original sound. The songs had next to no structure and hellhammers kit sounded like a v-kit with some trash can lids.

no, you're infantile, because you think everything has to sound the same, and if it doesn't, then it's crap.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

24.06.2007 - 22:54
Kaamos
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 24.06.2007 at 22:39

Written by Doc G. on 19.06.2007 at 23:36

no, you're infantile, because you think everything has to sound the same, and if it doesn't, then it's crap.

Yeah, you hear him Dr. Rock? So immature of you for having your own taste of music, shame on you!
24.06.2007 - 23:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=8724] on 24.06.2007 at 22:54

Yeah, you hear him Dr. Rock? So immature of you for having your own taste of music, shame on you!

ehh, that's not what i said : if you don't get something, that doesn't mean it's crap. he doesn't understand the new mayhem album. unlike other records, this needs to be understood .... or left alone.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.

25.06.2007 - 01:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Damnated on 24.06.2007 at 23:39

Written by [user id=8724] on 24.06.2007 at 22:54

unlike other records, this needs to be understood .... or left alone.

Wow, so certain albums you like have no right to be criticizied is pretty much what your saying there. And just because I think this album sounds like trash doesnt mean I dont enjoy originality, originality can be good as well as bad, I was simply saying id rather have a decent cliched album than an original album that sounds terrible. Korn were pretty original, there music is terrible, see the point? Resorting to insults because of misunderstanding isnt necessary.
----
- George Carlin
25.06.2007 - 11:14
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 25.06.2007 at 01:15

id rather have a decent cliched album than an original album that sounds terrible. Korn were pretty original, there music is terrible, see the point?

it supposed to sound terrible, but you don't understand that this album is good because it's terrible. black metal is not glam where everything has to be nice and clean. black metal has to sound filthy and ugly, and that's exactly how ordo ad chao sounds

first go listen to some black metal, some real black metal, try to get the whole thing, then come back and comment on the new mayhem.

ps: it's also obvious that you don't understand the music of korn either. your custom title is ironic, right?
----

25.06.2007 - 19:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Damnated on 25.06.2007 at 11:14

Written by Doc G. on 25.06.2007 at 01:15

id rather have a decent cliched album than an original album that sounds terrible. Korn were pretty original, there music is terrible, see the point?

it supposed to sound terrible, but you don't understand that this album is good because it's terrible. black metal is not glam where everything has to be nice and clean. black metal has to sound filthy and ugly, and that's exactly how ordo ad chao sounds

first go listen to some black metal, some real black metal, try to get the whole thing, then come back and comment on the new mayhem.

ps: it's also obvious that you don't understand the music of korn either. your custom title is ironic, right?

Well, not just because the recording quality is a little low, I can deal with that, but most of the songs seem to have no structure to them, like they went into the studio without a thought in there head. Can I be blamed if I like music that you know....actually goes somewhere? but hey, I guess Im not as tr00 as you are.

Oh and if your interested, next time my 3 year old cousins come over i could record them screaming and banging on pots and pans, it slightly resembles songs (just like the new Mayhem album). It fils out your recquirements for BM and itd be totally kvlt.

Btw-I do listen to other stuff than glam, thats just the genre I hold most knowledge in, I do enjoy a bit of BM like Masters Hammer, 1349, Darkthrone (both DM & BM material), Marduk, Belphegor, Keep Of Kalessin, Immortal, Gorgoroth, Carpathian Forest.....As well as some not so tr00 BM like Dragonlord, Catamenia, and Dimmu Borgir.
----
- George Carlin
25.06.2007 - 23:47
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Ordo Ad Chao is a damn good album, although I seem to be the only one around that misses Maniac... somehow I can't stand Attila, and his come back was unnecesary as Maniac was delivering outstanding vocal performances since Grand Declaration Of War... he's one of the vocalists with most character around, and I think this same album Ordo Ad Chao would be much beter with him.
26.06.2007 - 01:11
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
I have to give Ordo Ad Chao a few more listens. I like a few songs, others sound kind of boring, but I have a feeling this album will grow on me...
26.06.2007 - 13:39
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 25.06.2007 at 19:24

Can I be blamed if I like music that you know....actually goes somewhere?

are you paranoid or something? who's blaming you? i merely said that you don't understand black metal....although you listen to some bands of the genre. i suggest that we drop this conversation right now, because it's not leading anywhere.
----

26.06.2007 - 22:25
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Damnated on 26.06.2007 at 13:39

Written by Doc G. on 25.06.2007 at 19:24

Can I be blamed if I like music that you know....actually goes somewhere?

are you paranoid or something? who's blaming you? i merely said that you don't understand black metal....although you listen to some bands of the genre. i suggest that we drop this conversation right now, because it's not leading anywhere.

I dont get whats to understand about black metal that Im not getting here though, do black metal fans all suddenly have a magical epiphany where it all comes to them? I like furious frantic music but this album was crap.

And your the one who started calling me infantile, im just merely standing up for myself here.
----
- George Carlin
27.06.2007 - 01:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
let's lay off the personal attacks and insults, please? i rather like MS being a bit more mature and civil than, say, Blabbermouth...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.06.2007 - 12:03
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 26.06.2007 at 22:25

im just merely standing up for myself here.

oh is that what you're doing? be careful, because someone might think you're just behaving .... childish.

you can understand black metal by listening to it. it's not some secret stuff. but you do need to understand it, if you want to have discussions about it.
----

27.06.2007 - 13:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Does thay gonna realise new album this year?
Some one knows how it will sound Any samples online?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.06.2007 - 16:02
mizferac
Account deleted
So I recently got 'Ordo Ad Chao' and I must admit it is a big pile of trash. Every single instrument appears to be playing different songs and Attilla doesnt seem to have any idea what hes doing, as if he is deciding on vocal style and lyrics on the spot.

etc, etc...

Haha, this is what exactly most of the Hungarian metal press think about the nem album of Mayhem. Attila (he's Hungarian) pointed lately that he's sick of the continuous bitching of the inland critics about Mayhem and the whole Hungarian mentality about innovative music (most of them them titled Sunn O))) as 'boring noise', and the Current 93 as 'clowning'). I haven't heard the new album yet, but I know the Hungarian metal press, which is a crap for sure, and I can understand why Attila get furious about it. It is sad that Mayhem and Tormentor and the other bands with Attila are greatly appreciated on the whole world, but not at all in his homeland.

He also said that Mayhem will be on hold to august because of Hellhammer's injury, but in that month they will have six concerts, including the More Then Festival in Slovakia, but you probably already know that...
27.06.2007 - 16:36
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Damnated on 27.06.2007 at 12:03

Written by Doc G. on 26.06.2007 at 22:25

im just merely standing up for myself here.

be careful, because someone might think you're just behaving .... childish.

If you'll look back on this argument, you'll notice Im not the one who was using personal attacks.

I feel I understand black metal, just because I dont like this new Mayhem album doesnt mean I suddenly dont understand it, thats like saying if I dont like the new Finntroll album I dont understand folk metal, or that if I dont like such and such a Blind Guardian album I dont understand power metal. If I was to say "all black metal is crap" then it would be fair grounds to make the accusation that I dont understand this genre.
----
- George Carlin
27.06.2007 - 16:54
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 27.06.2007 at 16:36

I feel I understand black metal

you feel wrong then.
@K7 are you drunk, man?
----

28.06.2007 - 11:29
Hyvaarin
Maybe he just doesn't like the album...
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
28.06.2007 - 11:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Stop the bitching it is in Dr. Rock's full right to NOT like the new Mayhem.
I for one disagree with his typifying the new Mayhem as lacking direction for I find it to be really focussed and love all aspects of it.

But I also happen to know quite a few black metal fans who are really deep into black metal from its inception till now and who fully grasp ALL aspects of bm but who do NOT like the new Mayhem album AT ALL.

Not liking the new Mayhem has nothing to do with not understanding the subgenre of black metal.

And why is it that people of a certain age always go on about someone not understanding bm when someone disses a favourite album of theirs? Have you guys never heard of personal taste in music? Thank god for not everyone agreeing on the same points or else metal will truly become boring (which is starting to happen to a lot of bm btw)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.06.2007 - 02:37
Damnated
Churchburner
i never said that if you liked black metal you gotta like the new mayhem too. the new mayhem has little to do with traditional black metal, so stating something like that would be utter stupidity.

i realise that i got a little carried away, but i get pissed off when totally random people come and post idiotic comments about things they never come across in their everyday musical journey, for the sake of self-amusement. i can put up with criticism, even when it's harsh, but what dr.rock posted was not an opinion, it was mockery. because saying that the band members were drunk during the recording session, and that they don't have a clue about what they're doing is making fun of the rules of the forum, and basicly it's making fun of the forum and it's users.

little i care that he makes fun of a band or an album, but when these posts are tolerated and SUPPORTED on this board, i feel like a fool for trying to post somewhat mature and objective comments.
----

29.06.2007 - 03:39
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Damnated on 29.06.2007 at 02:37

i never said that if you liked black metal you gotta like the new mayhem too. the new mayhem has little to do with traditional black metal, so stating something like that would be utter stupidity.

i realise that i got a little carried away, but i get pissed off when totally random people come and post idiotic comments about things they never come across in their everyday musical journey, for the sake of self-amusement. i can put up with criticism, even when it's harsh, but what dr.rock posted was not an opinion, it was mockery. because saying that the band members were drunk during the recording session, and that they don't have a clue about what they're doing is making fun of the rules of the forum, and basicly it's making fun of the forum and it's users.

little i care that he makes fun of a band or an album, but when these posts are tolerated and SUPPORTED on this board, i feel like a fool for trying to post somewhat mature and objective comments.

Actually if you'll read the entire post you'll notice I do explain what I dont like about each instrument, the drunk part was just a little add in to give off the feeling I got from the album, I didnt go into long winded mockery at all, most of that post was actually serious.

Oh yes and I especially like this:
Written by Damnated on 29.06.2007 at 02:37

i feel like a fool for trying to post somewhat mature and objective comments.

It really goes well with all of this:

Written by Damnated on 24.06.2007 at 22:39

no, you're infantile

Written by Damnated on 19.06.2007 at 12:50

it's obvious that you can't apreciate originality, and making ironic remarks about ordo ad chao just prooves how infantile you are.

Quote:
i merely said that you don't understand black metal...

Quote:
you feel wrong then.

I can appreciate a good thought out argument, and some people can even change my view point if they have some intelligent point, like Marcel did earlier, but most of these arguments seem to be personal attack.
----
- George Carlin
29.06.2007 - 03:48
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Doc G. on 29.06.2007 at 03:39

I can appreciate a good thought out argument

too bad you can't write one

Written by Doc G. on 18.06.2007 at 23:43

Mayhem-Ordo Ad Chao
What the hell is going on in this album?! This is possibly the biggest waste of computer space I have ever ripped. The music goes absolutely nowhere, not a single song I can grip onto. It sounds like they made the music up on the spot and that everyone is just going into there own improvisations....this album is a pile of crapiolla.
To sum this album up:

Blasphemer: "Im gonna play some crappy excuse for a doomy type riff that no one will remember...hope no one will mind that it does not fit Hellhammers drumming at all"
Necrobutcher: "Guess Ill just follow along with Blasphemer...no wait! Hellhammer! Nevermind Ill play along with Blasphemer...uh no wait!"
Attilla: "Turn down my mike, someone might accidently hear me, uh guys I forgot my lyrics at home...guess ill just have to improvise"
Hellhammer: "Im f*cking loaded! faster! faster! faster! uhhhhgg screw playing on time, sounding like a 4 year old behind the kit is kvlt!'

----

29.06.2007 - 03:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Damnated on 29.06.2007 at 03:48

Written by Doc G. on 29.06.2007 at 03:39

I can appreciate a good thought out argument

too bad you can't write one

Written by Doc G. on 18.06.2007 at 23:43

Mayhem-Ordo Ad Chao
What the hell is going on in this album?! This is possibly the biggest waste of computer space I have ever ripped. The music goes absolutely nowhere, not a single song I can grip onto. It sounds like they made the music up on the spot and that everyone is just going into there own improvisations....this album is a pile of crapiolla.
To sum this album up:

Blasphemer: "Im gonna play some crappy excuse for a doomy type riff that no one will remember...hope no one will mind that it does not fit Hellhammers drumming at all"
Necrobutcher: "Guess Ill just follow along with Blasphemer...no wait! Hellhammer! Nevermind Ill play along with Blasphemer...uh no wait!"
Attilla: "Turn down my mike, someone might accidently hear me, uh guys I forgot my lyrics at home...guess ill just have to improvise"
Hellhammer: "Im f*cking loaded! faster! faster! faster! uhhhhgg screw playing on time, sounding like a 4 year old behind the kit is kvlt!'

I wasnt expecting to go into a deep argument about the new Mayhem album in the 'Last Album You Acquired' thread, I knew that would happen here, so I saved my more...reasonable side for the actual Mayhem thread where I was expecting a serious discussion, not personal attacks upon personal attack.
----
- George Carlin