Metal Storm logo
Wintersun

Original post

Posted by Elfeder, 23.05.2006 - 17:00
I was shocked when I noticed that no one created a topic on Wintersun it is so strange because this band is one of the best I know...they have just released one album but this album is fucking masterpiece,
I like their songs "Death and the Healing" and "Beautiful Death" they are great songs and this band is Idol for me.
04.01.2009 - 17:36
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I fear that as time passes and the album gets postponed every August or February (as it's been going the past few years) people will either stop giving a crap about whether "Time" gets released or not, or by the time it DOES get released our expectations have grown so much that it will inevitably become a disappointment no matter how good it is.

All in all Im trying not to expect it anytime soon. And I have a feeling that if it is released it wont come out until at least September. Pretty hard for me to just not give a shit anymore, since Wintersun is my all-time favourite band, but in the meantime I will just put it in the back of my mind and be excited about the other CONFIRMED releases for 2009, ie Hypocrisy, Amorphis, Old Man's Child, Insomnium, Borknagar etc..
15.01.2009 - 21:47
ms68
From February to August
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
15.01.2009 - 23:09
written in stone
Account deleted
Hey they didnt have any other shit like ep's or anything? cause far as i know wintersun-wintersun was the only thing a i know about besides time. its so fucking hard to stay on top of your favorite finnish bands when your in canada, beside the fact these guys are awsome. when Jari Mäenpää said he wanted to make this album better than the last (like everyone useally does right) i was thinking to myself...how? lol i mean the last one was sooooo good, i just really hope these guys dont dismemeber that would be a realy loss in music and such a shame.
25.01.2009 - 00:09
FeskarN
The cover art of "Time" has been leaked... It's the artist who done it that upload the cover on his myspace. Jari have not tell him that it was ok. And now its all over the net.. But Jari said on their forum that it is not the final cover, its like a demo version. Well I must say that the cover is really EPIC!
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
25.01.2009 - 00:38
Janne
Hugin
Written by FeskarN on 25.01.2009 at 00:09

The cover art of "Time" has been leaked... It's the artist who done it that upload the cover on his myspace. Jari have not tell him that it was ok. And now its all over the net.. But Jari said on their forum that it is not the final cover, its like a demo version. Well I must say that the cover is really EPIC!

where can I check it? can you give a link?
----

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
25.01.2009 - 01:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha yeah, where's the link?
----
25.01.2009 - 01:34
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/Hackfleisch/l_1a54363326394a242a6af09cd58f6bc9.jpg

there's the cover art. wow, I really don't like that. it looks like every other modern folk bands artwork. even the shading and coloring.
----
Coldgrits
25.01.2009 - 01:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by -DC-002- on 25.01.2009 at 01:34

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/Hackfleisch/l_1a54363326394a242a6af09cd58f6bc9.jpg

there's the cover art. wow, I really don't like that. it looks like every other modern folk bands artwork. even the shading and coloring.

The shading and what not is identical to the latest few Korpiklaani albums.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.01.2009 - 01:42
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think it's very beautiful! Is it Kristian Wåhlin again? He has always been my favourite.
----
25.01.2009 - 01:49
Kasper
Well.. I do like it, different, but I like it. At first I was "woah, pink?!"

Magic, and mystic.
----
"An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded"
25.01.2009 - 12:10
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Looks pretty cool....surprised by the colours but its actually quite cool. The photoshop work isnt very good though....
25.01.2009 - 12:16
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2009 at 01:37

exactly. you'd think a band like Wintersun with an image of superiority and "genius" would make more memorable cover. I know its a demo but its not gonna change THAT much if they don't just make a new one altogether.
----
Coldgrits
25.01.2009 - 12:24
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by -DC-002- on 25.01.2009 at 12:16

Written by Doc G. on 25.01.2009 at 01:37

exactly. you'd think a band like Wintersun with an image of superiority and "genius" would make more memorable cover. I know its a demo but its not gonna change THAT much if they don't just make a new one altogether.

Well I think the problem is that I didnt expect Wintersun to go for the run-of-the-mill photoshopped album cover - especially since the debut album had practically no sign of photoshop in it, but simply drawn/painted scenes. It does put a damper on it though....especially since theyve had like 5 years to get some proper artist to make an original piece and not just some images and effects thrown into CS3.

I for one tend to hate computerized album covers....not all of them but I far more appreciate the drawn/painted ones like Ensiferum-Iron and Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse...and obviously Wintersun-Wintersun. It gives an album a more personalised feel...
25.01.2009 - 13:00
Elio
Red Nightmare
at the cover, it will fit perfectly the music maybe!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
25.01.2009 - 13:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Elio on 25.01.2009 at 13:00

at the cover, it will fit perfectly the music maybe!

Well if thats the case then it means the album will sound just like any other album ha
25.01.2009 - 18:55
FeskarN
Written by Warman on 25.01.2009 at 01:42

I think it's very beautiful! Is it Kristian Wåhlin again? He has always been my favourite.

No, its not Wåhlin this time. It's Anthony Clarkson. Here is is myspace with some cover he have done http://www.myspace.com/anthonyclarksonart
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
25.01.2009 - 19:57
bard
Yeah...it's pretty, I'll give them that, but it's nowhere near as epic as the dead man in the snow from the last album. The cover of their self titled album got you in the perfect mindset for the themes and lyrics of the songs...I can't really see the pink tree leading us into anything as epic this time around.

Still, it's a very striking color.
----
26.01.2009 - 01:08
Fhuesc
At first i thought: wow! it's a really cool one, but when i compared it with the old one... , i think the problem it's the pink galaxy on the background. I don't have anything against pink, in fact i really like the Sakura kinda tree, but the pink galaxy seem outta place, maybe like those cheesy Stratovarius covers.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
26.01.2009 - 01:52
ß
Problem?
Seems quite cheesy but I still enjoy it
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
26.01.2009 - 07:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
My God, I didn't know it was possible but this cover art ios even cheesier cornier more generic than that of the debut.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2009 - 07:48
BADDEST MEMBER
Wow, so gorgeous Time cover. I like it more than the Debut's.
26.01.2009 - 07:53
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Pink is a really pretty color and definitely matches their genre.
26.01.2009 - 09:18
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.01.2009 at 07:18

My God, I didn't know it was possible but this cover art ios even cheesier cornier more generic than that of the debut.

Not to mention really fucking pretentious, you just know the lyrics are going to be the same contrived pseudo-intellectual bullshit that was one the last album (if the album title itself didn't give a hint).
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.01.2009 - 13:17
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 26.01.2009 at 09:18

Not to mention really fucking pretentious, you just know the lyrics are going to be the same contrived pseudo-intellectual bullshit that was one the last album (if the album title itself didn't give a hint).

Pseudo Intellectual? How the hell do you get to that conclusion? Seriously....if you cant even decipher pretty much straight forward lyrics then stop trying. Their lyrics are fantasy based period - whats so pseudo intellectual and pretentious about that? Just about all similar bands do that Wintersun just dont do it quite as terrible as the rest....
26.01.2009 - 21:27
Fhuesc
Written by [user id=1909] on 26.01.2009 at 13:17

Pseudo Intellectual? How the hell do you get to that conclusion? Seriously....if you cant even decipher pretty much straight forward lyrics then stop trying. Their lyrics are fantasy based period - whats so pseudo intellectual and pretentious about that? Just about all similar bands do that Wintersun just dont do it quite as terrible as the rest....

Not all the lyrics are Fantasy, and i agree with Dr. Rock they are pseudo intellectual, examples? well Death and the Healing, Beautiful Death, Sadness and Hate, Battle Against Time, Sleeping Stars, Beyond The Dark Sun... wait! that's almost the entire album. Basically Starchild and Winter Madness, are fantasy.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
27.01.2009 - 15:18
bluemobiusx
Account deleted

Pretentious? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you are the one that sounds pretentious. Your judgements on the band and their albums seems like you think you are the authority on what is quality in the metal world. A band that is pretentious is usually cocky and very self promoting. When do you see Wintersun out and about or Jari in tons of interviews? Heck, I had never heard of the band until I saw them in someone's top friends list on myspace a couple of years ago. Why shouldn't Jari be able to write lyrics like the ones on the last album? I don't really find anything wrong with the lyrics, in fact, they seem very similar to any lyrics he has wrote in the past. If you don't like the album, maybe its just not for you. Leave it for the people that love it and stick to what you like.
28.01.2009 - 09:24
Uller
Pseudo intellectual definition: One who attempts to flex intellect that does not exist within his or her own mind.

Why wintersun lyrics are pseudointellectual??? i dont get it
----
28.01.2009 - 19:08
routa
Account deleted
Relax, popular bands always induce bashing.

Oh gods noooo, pretentious lyrics
28.01.2009 - 19:15
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by [user id=20536] on 27.01.2009 at 15:18

Pretentious? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you are the one that sounds pretentious. Your judgements on the band and their albums seems like you think you are the authority on what is quality in the metal world. A band that is pretentious is usually cocky and very self promoting. When do you see Wintersun out and about or Jari in tons of interviews? Heck, I had never heard of the band until I saw them in someone's top friends list on myspace a couple of years ago. Why shouldn't Jari be able to write lyrics like the ones on the last album? I don't really find anything wrong with the lyrics, in fact, they seem very similar to any lyrics he has wrote in the past. If you don't like the album, maybe its just not for you. Leave it for the people that love it and stick to what you like.

If we could still give people props like in the good old days Id give you 5 dude. Completely agree....I dont know why out of ALL the bands out there, Wintersun should be classed as "wannabe intellects". Its absolutely absurd, and I almost dont really know what to say to them because Im just amazed at their statements. There are tons x tons more bands out there that try to pull the pseudo-intellectual crap, Wintersun isnt one of them. My guess is these guys cant listen to anything that isnt straight forward....if it doesnt say "Im gonna slit your throat" it seems like a curve ball...i really am grasping at straws but I dont understand where they get their ridiculous ideas from.

@ Marcel H and the other guy: Wintersun's lyrics isnt any more ludicrous or "pretentious" than any other band. If you prefer downright shit lyrics that CLEARLY isnt intellectual or fake-intellectual then enjoy listening to Children of Bodom. Ive never see anyone comment on the lyrics of Opeth or Insomnium, for example, but even their lyrics are more pretentious than that of Wintersun. Ironically I think the two of you are being seriously pretentious, thinking you can judge any band's lyrics just for the sake of seeming more intellectual than the rest..... Ive noticed this for quite some time about Mr H, having very little good to say about anything because ur so old and wise and has like 150mil posts on this site - apparently you think anything you say is gospel.....vanity's a bitch dude and above all ur WRONG
28.01.2009 - 19:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=1909] on 28.01.2009 at 19:15

@ Marcel H and the other guy: Wintersun's lyrics isnt any more ludicrous or "pretentious" than any other band.

I never said that. I just don't like their music and cover art at all. I don't give a shit about most lyrics anyway. Hell, if I didn't listen to bands with crap lyrics more than half the bands I listen to I wouldn't listen to anymore.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996