Metal Storm logo
Burzum

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 09:54
This band needs no introduction.

To start things off, what do people think of Vargs' writings about paganism that are posted on his website ([url](www.burzum.org)[/url]?
06.08.2009 - 22:37
Conservationist
New Burzum album has leaked:

Quote:

My friend who works in the Candlelight offices has heard a rough mix promo of the album. It's definitely Burzum, but a lot different. The songs are a lot faster and the drums are more death metal, and he has a lot of guitar solos on it that are bluesy like a space rock band. He's gone away from the mid-paced dark sound and this is more of an energetic, ripping, highway rock 'n roll album.

blackmetal.co.uk

Sounds exciting.
11.08.2009 - 10:54
Drop Out
Account deleted
Filosofem was one of the best albums since "Black Metal".
14.10.2009 - 07:37
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
Burzum...ok for its time but Varg is a fag, sorry.
08.11.2009 - 00:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Obscuro on 08.11.2009 at 00:52

...and didn't change his stands or opinion.

he changes his views on things as much as I change underwear and socks... every single day.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.11.2009 - 01:32
Obscuro
You change your underwear and socks every single day?!
nice,staying fresh and clean..
----
Support Music Not Rumors! - Chuck Shuldiner
08.11.2009 - 01:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Obscuro on 08.11.2009 at 01:32

You change your underwear and socks every single day?!
nice,staying fresh and clean..

But at least I stick to my points of view and so-called principles longer than Varg. Vause he changes those very single day. He is just a brainddead moron who happened to make some mediocre music which was heralded as being brilliant.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.11.2009 - 01:57
Obscuro
Mediocre??:lol: I don't know you and I don't want to talk about you but you cant say it's mediocre music!!the hole world says it's not mediocre music.
and,his music is beginig and one of the foundations of black metal.he may belive in something that is relic of the past and that is his thing and I don't care about that.
but when it was hard time for black metal he stayed black!
----
08.11.2009 - 02:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I agree with Marcel about Varg, he REALLY is an asshole that can't stick to an opinion [and I don't see any problem about changing your underwear every day, I do that too...].

But yeah, I really Like Burzum's music and I believe it was influential and blablabla you guys now the history that this music has....

I Like Burzum but I can't stand Varg.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

08.11.2009 - 02:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Obscuro on 08.11.2009 at 01:57

but when it was hard time for black metal he stayed black!

When was it a hard time for black metal?
He he didn't stay black at all when in prison, he switched to ambient, due to same lame excuse that he was only allowed a keyboard in prison. And when in prison he said he would never record black or any other kind of metal again because then he would have to use the guitar and the guitar is a nigger's instrument according to his words. But now he is out of prison he is recording metal again, with, guess what... a guitar.

Btw I am not alone in finding his music mediocre. Loads of people will agree with me. I think his music is 50% will say it is genius and 50% will hate it. Oh, btw I LOVE black metal. Just saying before you will probably say something along the lines that I hate black metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.11.2009 - 12:30
Obscuro
On the begining is always the hardest.
I didn't know about that guitar thing,interesting thing though,but that doesn't change my opinion.
and of course that there will be diffrent kinds of opinion,it would be miracle if whole metal world would love burzum.
this is just kind of music that you love or you hate.
there is nothing in between!
----
08.11.2009 - 19:29
Zombie, M.D.
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.11.2009 at 02:12

And when in prison he said he would never record black or any other kind of metal again because then he would have to use the guitar and the guitar is a nigger's instrument according to his words.

I'd like to see him say that to Caller of the Storms from Blasphemy.

Let's also forget the synthesizer was invented by a jew.

Anyways, like others in here I love Burzum but hate Varg. Burzum totally changed my life and I still say Det Som en Gang Var is the best album ever created.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
11.11.2009 - 21:41
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Burzum is the best,pure black metal ever recorded.And all his writings about paganism and Norse Mythology are the best and the most potent truth you could get from a true pagan, who knows loves his race and nature.People who write negative comments about that are completely ignorant about Paganism and the feelings it induces or just simply doesn't have "it" in their blood.I respect and believe him more than anyone in this world.There I said it.

Blod og Odel!
12.11.2009 - 02:16
rageing atheist
Account deleted
I haven't read his books but the stuff on burzum.org is not very convincing. He makes some valid points, but some of the stuff he has written seems like rubbish, for example the bit about Santa Claus, and Heimdall being an inherently racist god because there's a verse ( I think it was in Snorri Sturluson's Edda) saying that only those with the fairest hair can cross Bifrost or something like that.

It seems unconvincing to me because when dealing with prechristian traditions, you shouldn't take something like the phrasing of one verse as a dogma defining the nature of a deity, like you would treat the verses in the christian bible. The fact that in one verse Heimdall is described as letting only those with "the fairest hair" over Bifrost into Valhalla, does not imply that Heimdall was universally thought of as a racist god by the ancient Norse, the sagas and myths that are known to us did not originally make up a coherent system with strict dogmas etc, and if we compare known myths, we find inconsistencies between them. Therefore, although Heimdall was described as letting only those with "the fairest hair" to Valhalla in one verse, this does not prove that Heimdall was universally thought of as an inherently racist god by the Norse. Also I am not sure that "the fairest hair" should be taken literally, but I'm not gonna get into this, since I do not speak ancient Norse, and do not know how this part sounded without being translated into English (or Estonian).

This was the first thing that came to my mind, concerning the unconvincing stuff in his writings.

He also does not cite any sources in the writings on burzum.org, which lessens the credibility of his writings. I do not think that he has made things up in his writings, but I don't treat his interpretation of data as absolute truth, and would like to see something to support his interpretations.

I feel some respect towards him because of his work in Burzum and also some things he has said or written, but I do not look up to him nor do I think that he deserves blind admiration and adoration. No one does.

Idol worship should belong into pop music, not metal. There's very little difference between saying "I believe Varg/Euronymous/random black metal idol more than anyone in this world" and "I believe Britney/Elvis/Michael Jackson more than anyone else in this world".
12.11.2009 - 02:36
Lord_Regnier
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.11.2009 at 01:39

But at least I stick to my points of view and so-called principles longer than Varg. Vause he changes those very single day. He is just a brainddead moron who happened to make some mediocre music which was heralded as being brilliant.

Let's say that I totally agree with the last sentence.
Black Metal is by far my favorite metal genre. In fact, it's the only genre I still care for nowadays. The only genre that doesn't bore me.
I never buy albums from other genres than BM.

That being said, I can't stand Burzum at all. It's mediocre music made by a braindead moron and ridiculously overrated by other morons. For me, Burzum was a shit band like Striborg and Elffor, a joke on a technical level.

The fact that so many people praise a despicable asshole like Vikernes shows one more time the astonishing retardation level of the metal community.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
12.11.2009 - 07:58
Zombie, M.D.
That fact that you claim to be a black metal devotee and you judge something on a "technical level" confuses me...
----
12.11.2009 - 11:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I lol'd at this "all the ones that like Burzum are morons" that was a good one. If there's something that makes metal look like a plain joke, is the fanboys AND the arrogant haters of said band/genre/whatever.

Also.. I believe there are many Burzum fans that don't praise Vikernes at all, it's a general fact that he is an asshole. Then again the fanboys make everything look worse than it actually is.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass

Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.

12.11.2009 - 12:45
Warman
Erotic Stains
Burzum isn't the only band - with an asshole as a frontman - that I like. But why should I care when I love the music so much? But I have always had respect for Vikernes about one thing: When Black Metal artists and fans were arrested in Norway during the 90's, he was one of the few who didn't tell on others to save himself in some way. Except for the bitching and homosexual dildo stories about Euronymous of course.
----
12.11.2009 - 13:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.11.2009 at 11:11

"all the ones that like Burzum are morons"

then i am a moron...and i dont feel ashamed of it at all...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

12.11.2009 - 14:22
Ginnung
The music of Burzum relates to his personal views but is expressed in mythological forms, inspired by old tales and myths.
12.11.2009 - 16:03
Obscuro
A greate man once said: Support Music Not Rumors!
----
12.11.2009 - 16:14
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Written by Lord_Regnier on 12.11.2009 at 02:36

That being said, I can't stand Burzum at all. It's mediocre music made by a braindead moron and ridiculously overrated by other morons. For me, Burzum was a shit band like Striborg and Elffor, a joke on a technical level.

Funny to see someone who has never met him claim the guy's a braindead moron. I remember that Attila Csihar has said in interviews that Vikernes is probably the most intelligent metal musician he has ever met. Not saying that this must be true, but the opinion of someone who has actually met him
seems way more credible to me than that of some random guy on the internet talking shit about someone who he has never met in real life.

Although I disagree with him on many things, the guy seems to be way brighter than most people involved with metal music.

I think some of his music is brilliant, has much stronger impact to me than the rest of early 90'ies Norwegian metal. Except A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Hordanesland and Vikingligr Veldi, Thorns demos and Wrath of the Tyrant, I can't think of anything more powerful from Norway in the early 90'ies than some of the old Burzum stuff.

The problem with Burzum though is that it has some of the most powerful and intense songs mixed with fillers on the same albums, so I'd hesitate to call Filosofem and Det Som Engang Var perfect as a whole.
Hvis Lyset sometimes seems completely perfect to me, but I have to be in a specific mood to appreciate it properly as a whole, if I am not, then the title track just seems to drag on and on.

The first album is the best Burzum album imo, though I am probably biased because it's the first Burzum album I heard and one of the first extreme metal albums also. Got it on a cdr from a friend about five years ago when I was just getting into metal, my initial reaction was something like wtf but after a week or so of listening to it I got hooked. Still don't have it on original, just a shitty cdr lying around somewhere. The album's not perfect though, War is too obvious rip off of Bathory's Necromancy.
Still, if I had to choose ten bands whose discography I could take with me to a desert island, Burzum would probably make it.
12.11.2009 - 22:06
Ginnung
Very well written, "rageing atheist".
15.11.2009 - 04:20
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Changing the subject a little... the photo on Burzum's profile is too much funny

I mean... look at that.. its a crazy lumberjack in a hut. My Name Is Earl style, he's probably gonna start a karma list soon...

Better go back to the smiley maniac picture... it was even funnier.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.11.2009 - 22:16
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.11.2009 at 00:59

Written by Obscuro on 08.11.2009 at 00:52

...and didn't change his stands or opinion.

he changes his views on things as much as I change underwear and socks... every single day.

Holy shit, man. EVERY DAY?!
And, medicore? C'mon. Filosofem, if nothing else, should be the very deffinition of Atmospheric BM.
19.11.2009 - 00:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
There is new "tribute" album by band called Struluckt

and i claim, this is wonderful (and the original is too)

----

20.11.2009 - 03:32
Got Mayhem?
Http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story10.shtml

Sounds odd...kinda like a collection of old tracks that didn't make it onto previous ones and remakes. I love the old Uruk-Hai stuff so it'll be cool to hear that being done again but I can't help but feel disappointed that this isn't a completely new album in a way.
----
20.11.2009 - 03:47
Zombie, M.D.
Written by Got Mayhem? on 20.11.2009 at 03:32

Sounds odd...kinda like a collection of old tracks that didn't make it onto previous ones and remakes. I love the old Uruk-Hai stuff so it'll be cool to hear that being done again but I can't help but feel disappointed that this isn't a completely new album in a way.

Uruk-Hai never released anything. That "Blast from the Ancient Past" album is actually the first Ildjarn demo "Seven Harmonies of the Unknown Truth".
----
20.11.2009 - 03:50
Got Mayhem?
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 20.11.2009 at 03:47

Written by Got Mayhem? on 20.11.2009 at 03:32

Uruk-Hai never released anything. That "Blast from the Ancient Past" album is actually the first Ildjarn demo "Seven Harmonies of the Unknown Truth".

Hm, I either got confused or mislead somewhere along the line. I imagine it's going to sound like Old Funeral or something like that.
----
20.11.2009 - 18:27
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Is it not reasonable to have a seperate thread for the new Burzum album? If only the sake of informing people who wouldn't bother to check this thread. It is some of the most important news in black metal ever.

Also, copied from the NWN forum:

"I just got confirmation that this is 100% NOT the album cover art. The webmaster was just filling in the space."
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
13.12.2009 - 11:19
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
New album cover

----