Metal Storm logo
Combat boots

Original post

Posted by BloodTears, 27.06.2006 - 21:54
I was having this conversation yesterday with my cousin, we talked about music and about subcultures and why do they wear certain clothes or have certain specific traits. For instance, hippies had long hair because they rejected the fact that to go to the military they had to cut their hair and also because of the liberation era. My doubt is: Why do metallers and goths wear combat boots? what is the symbology behind their use? Is it merely for aesthetic reasons or because of the influence the bands had in the fans clothes? I wanted to clear this out. If someone could help me I would apprechiate it.
I'm not sure i posted this on the right forum,im sorry if I didnt.
06.03.2007 - 05:10
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
combat boots do not represent anything stylish, they reflect aggression or seriousness, that's what I think.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
06.03.2007 - 05:21
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
There are a number of interpretations, and who knows how this truly began. Some may feel that this is a symbolism of Agression, like what metal started as, the most agressive music. Others may feel that they are marked as a metalhead by wearing this, and thus feel obligated to do so. And some may think it looks good, you know, stylish. I personally like them because they are durable and can get your feet through any rough terrain (Even though they are a bit uncomfortable)
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
07.03.2007 - 17:04
Paganblood
The Aryaputra
Written by Arian Totalis on 06.03.2007 at 05:21

I personally like them because they are durable and can get your feet through any rough terrain (Even though they are a bit uncomfortable)

Haha yes! that's a good reason.
----
that which shines without names and forms...
05.12.2007 - 23:56
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Ive never liked Dr.Martens or even worse, Shelly's Rangers type of boots, because they are pretty expensive and damn large and heavy! And everyone wears them today, not so much because of their quality, but because of style, and it became sort of cliche.... And I would ever call those "Combat" boots... I doubt they ar esuitabel for combat hahah

Any away, what I currently wear are Magnum boots, they are used by the police here and they are very light and comfortable, and waterproof all the way.
There are many variants, but mine look smth like this

----
06.12.2007 - 17:46
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Stalker on 05.12.2007 at 23:56

Ive never liked Dr.Martens or even worse, Shelly's Rangers type of boots, because they are pretty expensive and damn large and heavy! And everyone wears them today, not so much because of their quality, but because of style, and it became sort of cliche.... And I would ever call those "Combat" boots... I doubt they ar esuitabel for combat hahah

Any away, what I currently wear are Magnum boots, they are used by the police here and they are very light and comfortable, and waterproof all the way.
There are many variants, but mine look smth like this

Yeah that's a nice boot. I had a pair when I was in the army. They were great in the summer 'cause the wasn't too hot and heavy. I think they're pretty good looking as well
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
07.12.2007 - 01:42
Asphyxia
Account deleted
I used to have a pair of Dr. Martens, but after a few wears I started thinking they looked stupid, plus they were too big, so I gave them to my friend and got a pair of Harley Davidson boots instead. Those lasted me a while but eventually the zipper split, and I ended up getting another pair of the same boots, figuring it was just a defect. The same things happened to those (with the zipper) and so far I haven't done anything about it. I'm probably going to take both pairs to a shoe repair shop and have a new zipper put in. Even after I've paid for two zipper replacements, I will have probably spent less than a third set of boots (or so I figure).
07.12.2007 - 18:49
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
I buy my combat boots from a Brazilian brand called Vilela, they have quite a high-quality leather. A pair costs R$120,00 (around US$70,00) and they endure a lot of punishment. I only buy one pair at a time, wear it every single day, and when it gets worn out, I buy another one.
I tell ya, there's no better shoe to wear in a metal gig than a good pair of combat boots. Also, it's good for walking in the streets, 'cuz they're always full of shit, like mud, dirty water puddles, crap, used condoms or broken glass.
And, lastly, if you get caught in a fight, the last thing you'll want on your feet will be flip-flops!
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
07.12.2007 - 18:56
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Dr Martens boots arent combat boots, they are workers' boots and both punks and skinheads (who introduced them to rock fashion) identified with that social class.

Boots in general are a sign of machismo. Not surprising that the phallus-obsessed metal genre reveres them so much!
07.12.2007 - 20:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by jupitreas on 07.12.2007 at 18:56

Dr Martens boots arent combat boots, they are workers' boots and both punks and skinheads (who introduced them to rock fashion) identified with that social class.

Boots in general are a sign of machismo. Not surprising that the phallus-obsessed metal genre reveres them so much!

Hhehe I agreeIndustrial safe boots are great man, good for working and skins n punks us eit in football violance, posible damige cop defense shield
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.12.2007 - 22:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
My boots are
I had USD army boots like this

also something like this, but thay are damiged a lot of

2 pairs of Dr. Martens

+ 2 pairs cowboy boots

PS sorry about pics but its hard to find i in net them
----

08.12.2007 - 23:08
Carrion
Account deleted
My combat boots are the same that our army uses, they have some metal in the front.

I guess for me it's just a symbol for agression and a will to look more badass. But then again I just happen to like military clothing, I have military pants, coat, etc.
08.12.2007 - 23:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=13894] on 08.12.2007 at 23:08

My combat boots are the same that our army uses, they have some metal in the front.

I guess for me it's just a symbol for agression and a will to look more badass. But then again I just happen to like military clothing, I have military pants, coat, etc.

I hate military paints, man i hate I love olkd good jeans and will waer them till i die and eb burry whit Levis but about boots I was czceh arm,y boots thay was good, but now i had US army and winter, its cold and slipery whit them, I wanna get mayeb Fin or Swe army boots, maybe wont be so shity in winter
----

08.12.2007 - 23:20
Carrion
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 08.12.2007 at 23:14

I hate military paints, man i hate I love olkd good jeans and will waer them till i die and eb burry whit Levis but about boots I was czceh arm,y boots thay was good, but now i had US army and winter, its cold and slipery whit them, I wanna get mayeb Fin or Swe army boots, maybe wont be so shity in winter

Yeah these are really good in winter, I suggest you get a pair.
09.12.2007 - 22:17
Nebel_Hexe
Account deleted
Aaah combat boots for the win, they're well comfy too!
I'm trying to get my hand on a pair of 20 eyelets at the moment, but they seem a bit pricey, anyone who knows any good stores with a pair for a reasonably good price that ships to UK/is in the UK, please send me the link it would be appreciated
09.12.2007 - 23:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=24216] on 09.12.2007 at 22:17

I'm trying to get my hand on a pair of 20 eyelets at the moment, but they seem a bit pricey, anyone who knows any good stores with a pair for a reasonably good price that ships to UK/is in the UK, please send me the link it would be appreciated

There was some shop from Mancehester Military Kit where I order my Dr. Martens but cant remebe rcorect link
----

09.12.2007 - 23:53
Stalker
Lone wanderer

Well, I dont wear them because of look, but because of quality. And yeah, military shit is usually of good quality, I have blue camo pants (police) and i wear them even in school hahah I dont mind, and they are really good and have removable liner, so its worm in winter
----
10.12.2007 - 21:36
Carrion
Account deleted
Written by Stalker on 09.12.2007 at 23:53

Well, I dont wear them because of look, but because of quality. And yeah, military shit is usually of good quality, I have blue camo pants (police) and i wear them even in school hahah I dont mind, and they are really good and have removable liner, so its worm in winter

Yeah that's true also. Military pants are quite good working clothes in my experience.
11.12.2007 - 17:03
Anton Alcolust
Written by [user id=24216] on 09.12.2007 at 22:17

here they have some http://www.warfront.de/ and shipping isn't exensive ...

and why combat boots ? because you can kick ass with it ! you can walk everywhere with it and crush everythings .
----
A.M.S.G.
11.12.2007 - 17:13
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
I have a pair similar to these in all black though...damn I've walked many kilometres in them
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
11.12.2007 - 17:30
BADDEST MEMBER
So cool those boots are. Besides, all soviet army men wore boots, like Pavel Korchagin, his is very high
11.12.2007 - 18:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BADDEST MEMBER on 11.12.2007 at 17:30

So cool those boots are. Besides, all soviet army men wore boots, like Pavel Korchagin, his is very high

... and thay are real man rob a museum and get tham
----

11.12.2007 - 18:47
APOHAKC
The Bard
Here they are, my combat boots

----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.12.2007 - 20:47
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by APOHAKC on 11.12.2007 at 18:47

Here they are, my combat boots

hahah lol man! they look mean, thats for sure!
----
15.12.2007 - 22:34
Bulletdodger
I now wear combat boots because they keep my feet warm and that's it , "Chizma glavu chuva , shubara je kvari"
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
17.12.2007 - 02:53
PsychoNerd
i had cobat boots once, but i grew out of them, now i have police issue boots, very uncomfortable. anyway, i don't know why people where combat boots, perhaps its just that they got them at vinnies or are trying to make a statment that only they can understand.
----
The computer Nerd
20.12.2007 - 19:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Actually my parents bought me a new pair. They are more of the military type this time. Im quite pleased with them. And they were cheap, I like cheap things and I dont like to spend much money on clothes and things of the sort.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
21.03.2008 - 15:39
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
i have some german powertrooper boots. i bought them because they were really cheap and good to walk in so my feet dont get wet with the endless rain...also they has steel toe caps so i can kick peoples asses if they annoy me!
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
22.03.2008 - 03:51
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I just got a new pair today. Went to a military surplus store, and bought em for about $30. They're durable, which is exactly what I'm looking for, and because my dad was in the army, I know all about how to keep these babies polished to a glass shine
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

22.03.2008 - 08:30
Sunioj

Israeli combat boots, steel toed tipped as well which is a bitch because I have to verify that everytime I walk through a security check. They even have a compartment inside for dog tag's, the reason they have it there is because, if you get blown up, most probably, your shoes are going to be the only thing remaining.
26.03.2008 - 03:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Sunioj: lol, yeah those are pretty cool.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko