Metal Storm logo
Testament

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 22.05.2006 - 15:55
Im surprised theres no thread about this band yet... Just goes to show how under-rated they are.... They certainly deserve more recognition... They have many top quality thrash albums/tracks... 'The Legacy'/Alone In The Dark..... 'The New Order'/Into The Pit & Trial By Fire....

My favourite Testament track is Alone In The Dark followed closely by a host of others including Disciples Of The Watch and Burnt Offering...

So, what does everyone else think of this band?
07.02.2007 - 00:22
BrightNight
I totally agree with you. Testament is the best Trash Metal band out there. Point.
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
12.02.2007 - 22:22
Gibbler
Account deleted
Classic band. "The New Order" was the first album I purchased from them. The whole album was just one epic slab of quality thrash. Alex Skolnick can solo like no other. Souls Of Black was a damn good album too. Really good production on it. Glad to see them still going.
13.02.2007 - 16:24
darksun
Definetelyw great and i guess the only thrash band succeeded in escaping from core-mania...
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
15.02.2007 - 10:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by darksun on 13.02.2007 at 16:24

Definetelyw great and i guess the only thrash band succeeded in escaping from core-mania...

what do you mean by core-mania? and which bands give in to that according to you?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2007 - 11:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2007 at 10:31

what do you mean by core-mania? and which bands give in to that according to you?

Im not shore what he means but IMO that bands chage sound not like in 80ties anymore but lil diefernt guitar sound and lil diferent singing

@Darksun nop thay change sound too, but I dunno non of bands whi didnt changing so
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.02.2007 - 12:30
darksun

I just wanna talk about sepultura,slayer,metallica with st.anger and etc.Slayer did this great and still kicks ass also sepultura's sound is counted to be good.But they all lost the real pure thrash they did in 80's.Slayer's god hates us all album is really good but it is nevert compared with slayer in 80's.That's the point i wanna say.
----
15.02.2007 - 12:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by darksun on 15.02.2007 at 12:30

I just wanna talk about sepultura,slayer,metallica with st.anger and etc.Slayer did this great and still kicks ass also sepultura's sound is counted to be good.But they all lost the real pure thrash they did in 80's.Slayer's god hates us all album is really good but it is nevert compared with slayer in 80's.That's the point i wanna say.

Okay I see what you mean. But what does that have to do with core? Because for the love of God I don't hear any hardcore in that. And btw, hardcore influences were already to be found in thrash all the way back in the 80s, cases in point being Nuclear Assault, Hirax.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2007 - 12:46
darksun
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2007 at 12:33

Okay I see what you mean. But what does that have to do with core? Because for the love of God I don't hear any hardcore in that. And btw, hardcore influences were already to be found in thrash all the way back in the 80s, cases in point being Nuclear Assault, Hirax.

Yes there can be inluences of hard-core in 80's but all this bands additionally pantera,exodus and etc were succeeding in creating a mainstream style.Thrash rhytms were taking part mostly but towards the end of 90's and since beginning of 2000's i feel hard core entered the thrash much than it has to be.About gad hates us all i compared reign in blood and it,listened every song in both and i saw the difference easily...Angel of death,raining blood,necrophobic were among pioneer songs of pure thrash,but disciple,god send death,bloodline,new faith these all signs of another mainstream and change.
----
15.02.2007 - 12:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by darksun on 15.02.2007 at 12:46

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2007 at 12:33

Yes there can be inluences of hard-core in 80's but all this bands additionally pantera,exodus and etc were succeeding in creating a mainstream style.Thrash rhytms were taking part mostly but towards the end of 90's and since beginning of 2000's i feel hard core entered the thrash much than it has to be.About gad hates us all i compared reign in blood and it,listened every song in both and i saw the difference easily...Angel of death,raining blood,necrophobic were among pioneer songs of pure thrash,but disciple,god send death,bloodline,new faith these all signs of another mainstream and change.

Strange that call the newer thrash mainstream when in fact Thrash was way more mainstream (at least in sales) at the end of the eighties and early nineties. Slayer sold most of their albums in that period, so did Anthrax, testament, suicidal tendencies (started off hardcore but of course turned thrash), megadeth, Pantera sold most of their copies while doing Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display Of Power. Thrash was much bigger entity around that time than it is now.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.02.2007 - 13:44
darksun
@MH yes i believe thrash has turned into a new form today just like the end of the 80's and beginning of 90's.As you said thrash is a mainstream itself that times and now in place of old thrash a newer form fas come with core.What i tried to say is that.:)
----
15.02.2007 - 13:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by darksun on 15.02.2007 at 13:44

@MH yes i believe thrash has turned into a new form today just like the end of the 80's and beginning of 90's.As you said thrash is a mainstream itself that times and now in place of old thrash a newer form fas come with core.What i tried to say is that.:)

Okay, now I fully understand what you mean. Well I am a fan of the old school more than the newer version although I do like it at times.

And now back to Testament...

I only totally appreiate their first two albums after that they somehow lost it IMO. Chuck Billy is great frontman and live they can really kick some ass but somehow their newer songs never ever did it for me.
I go back to The Legacy and New Order at least once a week, and then also throw in the demo (with Steve Zetro Souza when they were still called Legacy) in my cassette player. Best song they ever wrote is certainly Reign Of Terror for me. Man, RoT slays anything ever done by whatever thrash band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2007 - 13:11
kackbratze
Hmm, I enjoy their first few old-school thrash records and The Gathering. When will they finally release a new album? I heard many rumors, but is there anything confirmed already?
16.03.2007 - 00:16
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
I know what you mean. They really are under-rated. Still they are one of the best bands of that age. =D
14.04.2007 - 04:42
__Az__
Nice, Im looking forward to seeing Testament at Bloodstock Open Air in the Summer... Should be a brilliant festival, what with Arch Enemy playing aswell...
14.04.2007 - 22:04
APOHAKC
The Bard
No one is trashing like Testament
This is one of my favorite band and I totaly agree with few people here that they are under-rated and that they never get fame they are deserving after so many great albums... First strike is still deadly!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
15.04.2007 - 06:29
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I'm seeing Testament in a few weeks

they¡re certainly one of my favourite Thrash bands... "The New Order" was one of the very first metal albums I ever bought and it shocked me since the first listen... at that time, the only metal bands I listened to were Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Helloween but this was stronger, more defying and aggressive, with a fucking strong attitude that casted me to the ground. I listened to that CD to destruction (literally), almost everyday for many months and so it was certainly a shock in my life as metalhead... then I bought other Testament albums like The Gathering and The Legacy and I liked them but somehow "The New Order" is the only one I truly appreciate.
04.05.2007 - 03:55
Inlé
Easily one of my top 5 thrash bands.

The New Order, Practice what you Preach and Souls of Black are my faves (most of my thrash faves seem to be from around that period) but I like pretty much all their stuff.
04.05.2007 - 13:06
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
I only have The New Order, Practice what you Preach and The Ritual so far. Yeah, they are an awesome Thrash band. Chuck Billy has a nice set of vocals, with him going from clean to a more growling vox over the years on Testament's albums. Alex Skolnick and Eric Peterson are sweet guitarists.
23.05.2007 - 13:36
INDREDKOLD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2007 at 13:57

Okay, now I fully understand what you mean. Well I am a fan of the old school more than the newer version although I do like it at times.

I only totally appreiate their first two albums after that they somehow lost it IMO. Chuck Billy is great frontman and live they can really kick some ass but somehow their newer songs never ever did it for me.
I go back to The Legacy and New Order at least once a week, and then also throw in the demo (with Steve Zetro Souza when they were still called Legacy) in my cassette player. Best song they ever wrote is certainly Reign Of Terror for me. Man, RoT slays anything ever done by whatever thrash band.

Thank God there's at least one other old school thrasher here, at least we know what it was like back in the day instead of guessing! Ive got to say aswell as yourself that hardcore and thrash went almost hand in hand in the mid eighties, and to me seemed to be the biggest influence for most of the bay area scene therafter! And this so called 'metal core' with bands such as lamb of god and chimaira are the present day closest relation to old school thrash in my book! I picked up the legacy the day it was released in the UK, and was blown away straight away, I think they wained a bit after souls of black though, but deffo got it back with the gathering!
23.05.2007 - 13:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=23979] on 23.05.2007 at 13:36

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.02.2007 at 13:57

Thank God there's at least one other old school thrasher here, at least we know what it was like back in the day instead of guessing! Ive got to say aswell as yourself that hardcore and thrash went almost hand in hand in the mid eighties, and to me seemed to be the biggest influence for most of the bay area scene therafter! And this so called 'metal core' with bands such as lamb of god and chimaira are the present day closest relation to old school thrash in my book! I picked up the legacy the day it was released in the UK, and was blown away straight away, I think they wained a bit after souls of black though, but deffo got it back with the gathering!

Well to you as an old thrasher I recommend you read the following review: Get Thrashed and then go to theGet Thrashed Website
and also keep your eyes open for the following documentary: Rat Skates: Born In The Basement of which the reivew will be up soon.

Btw I recommend both documentaries for anyone interested in the history of metal in general and thrash more specifically.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2007 - 17:48
INDREDKOLD
Account deleted
Marcel thanks for the heads up on the getthrashed site... looking forward to tripping down memory lane whaen the dvd is on sale! Id already come accross the born in the basement site, and ive put in my order!
23.05.2007 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by [user id=23979] on 23.05.2007 at 17:48

Marcel thanks for the heads up on the getthrashed site... looking forward to tripping down memory lane whaen the dvd is on sale! Id already come accross the born in the basement site, and ive put in my order!

A bit more off-topicness, if everything goes the way it now seems Get Thrashed will be released this fall with loads of bonus material Rat SKates of course co-produced Get Thrashed. Born In The Basement features almost no music whereas Get Thrashed is full with nice old thrash and end with Megadeth's ode to the good old days (Back In The days)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.06.2007 - 21:04
Nazeef
Here we are with my first step band into Metal, Testament, and the great Peterson and Billy behind!!!
Thanx for posting this topic & if you wouldn't do it, I'd certainly never hezitate.
Well, Testament is a legendary Bay Area band, they were mostly underground. it's a kind of those band overwhelmed by the international presence of Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax, since they belong to the same generation...But certainly TESTAMENT still the purest and strongest and original Thrash Metal band the world had never seen; hand in hand with the Deutsch of Kreator and Destruction.

FOR THOSE WHO DIDNT WATCH THEIR DVD "LIVE IN LONDON" RUSH RIGHT NOW TO ENJOY YOUR LOST HALFLIFE!!!:o

For their discography:
I like mostly "Practice what you preach" and "The Legacy" albums> quiet classical and heavy!!!
Their new face of Thrash Core embodied in their Kick ass album "The Gathering", is also very interesting. (Recorded with Dave Lambardo)

NOTE: Chuck Billy holds the most Prestigious, Strong, Beautiful, 4 Dimensioned Voice in history of Metal, he has just overcame a cancer.
TESTAMENT had made a Special exhibition for Extreme Metal Fans, Eric Peterson took the initiative to form "Dragonlord" the Testamential Black Metal band, but filling the guitar and vocals fonctions.
HaiL To TeSTAMENT!!!!
----
http://www.myspace.com/shallishine
06.06.2007 - 18:12
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Guitarist Alex Skolnick was a guest on the "Maximum Threshold" (An internet radio) show this past Monday, June 4. You can download and listen it at this location (Warning huge file near 154 MB).
06.06.2007 - 18:47
graywolf87
Account deleted
Testament defines thrash metal, period...and also they took the risk of going into different sounds such as "Demonic" and "The Gathering"..."The Legacy" is one of my favorite thrash albums of all time and "The Gathering" deserves recognition and respect as well. I went to a Testament show last year and without doubt it was the best concert I've been in my life. Alex Skolnick rules
06.06.2007 - 22:42
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Recently bought The Legacy. It's my favorite, along with The New Order. Songs like Over the Wall, Alone in the Dark, and Raging Waters own so hard. Awesome album.
22.06.2007 - 07:13
6stringedDemon
Account deleted
ALEX IS THE MASTER !!!!! Truly an under rated band and if you havent seen them live you should ...........Yo graywolf that pit was the fucking shit!!!!! haha good times
22.06.2007 - 12:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=24270] on 22.06.2007 at 07:13

ALEX IS THE MASTER !!!!! Truly an under rated band and if you havent seen them live you should ...........Yo graywolf that pit was the fucking shit!!!!! haha good times

Underated moust idiotic think what I hear about them because this band are so popular how others and I prefere only 80ties Testament
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.07.2007 - 22:53
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Video footage of Testament performing at Waldrock festival (The Netherlands) has been posted at YouTube with the songs "D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)" and "The Haunting".
14.07.2007 - 20:45
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Bad English on 22.06.2007 at 12:28

Written by [user id=24270] on 22.06.2007 at 07:13

Underated moust idiotic think what I hear about them because this band are so popular how others and I prefere only 80ties Testament

I certainly don't agree with you here. I'm not sure what you think of this band, but they aren't as known as they could/should be.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama