Metal Storm logo
Ensiferum

Original post

Posted by Stigmatized, 18.05.2006 - 03:59
Here is the new topic for the new forum. The DVD is due out in June and the new album is supposedly set for a February 2007 release. Enjoy!
09.09.2007 - 02:39
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by [user id=25700] on 08.09.2007 at 20:42

my two cents: my favorite band Ensiferum... I love Iron album, shame that Jari left... it destroyed the "magic" of Ensiferum let's say. Last album is good... not fantastic but good.

regards

Listen to the wise man! Welcome to Metal Storm mate!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
09.09.2007 - 11:44
RedBaron
Account deleted
Thank you Aronax. I find quite interesting this site and forum also. \\m//
10.09.2007 - 08:03
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by [user id=3160] on 10.09.2007 at 04:24

Written by Baz Anderson on 08.09.2007 at 15:03

yes indeed I noticed that as well in the book.. but I don't know what it is.. I think Petri is the sort of person that is more likely to get a big head like people from certain other Finnish bands (Sonata Arctica, Children Of Bodom) and not have as much time for the fans.. and from the first two Ensiferum albums I got the impression from them they were trying to make us like them - whereas this new Ensiferum just takes it for granted we like them
haha - I don't know, I can't explain.. nor have I seen Jari in real life so I can't tell with him either..

haha and don't worry about your Wintersun remark.. I think they are sooo overrated as well

Petri Lindroos is NOTHING like Laiho and is not all about himself, and he had nothing to do with the writing of Victory Songs except what he did himself which was the music and lyrics for The New Dawn, apart from that all the other stuff on the album wasn't written by him but mainly by Markus since it's his band and he has always been the main songwriter, and now Sami writes basically all the lyrics.

I think he was just saying the feeling he got from the album.

The reason I think people dont like the new album is because it alienated alot of the older fanbase with the new sound, the actually album isnt bad at all. People got familiar with the Ensiferum they all knew and loved and then it got switched up. This probably explains why I love the new album, Id only been to Ensiferum for a few months when "Victory Songs" was released so I didnt feel like they were missing anything when the change happened.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.09.2007 - 14:31
Baz Anderson
Staff
well you can't really judge a character until you have seen them in real life
but the unfortunate truth is it didn't seem Petri wanted anything to do with the fans when we was off the stage.. maybe it was a bad day for him, maybe he's always like that.. who knows

the new album is really great stuff though, one of my favourites of the year so far
10.09.2007 - 22:12
MadGatsu
More fav songs i heard from the early albums: Treacherous Gods, Slayer of Light, Frost, Guardians of Fate \m/ (and ofc, the great Metallica cover, BATTERY! \m/) ^^
----
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
10.09.2007 - 22:25
RedBaron
Account deleted
Quote:
[quote=Woodsy]I do agree Victory Songs is compartively weak for Ensiferum and not as strong as Ensiferum or Iron but is still a most worthy album indeed, with maybe 2 or 3 weaker tracks such Raised By The Sword, Ahti and Deathbringer From The Sky

I fell that Raised by the Sword is one of the best songs on the album, but then again I am an Ensf. fan. Compared with the the previous albums (Jari Manepaa period) it's a little different and not as strong as Iron, the new album. It will be hard for them to match Iron, I think.

I see that the girl (keyboard) from Ensif. leaves the band. I don't thing that's good, anyway... hope Jari returns some day

\\m//
12.09.2007 - 16:37
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by [user id=3160] on 12.09.2007 at 07:58

@Redbaron - again maybe its just me, I love/d Meiju as a keyboard player and even though Raised By The Sword was written primarily by her, I just find it a weak track which needed a solo and was to long also, it goes nowhere really at the end for awhile, but same with Ahti I just don't really find it to my liking, though the banjo solo is pretty cool

I'll second that, anyway, all of my favorites songs are from the first album, and very few of them from the Iron album. Treacherous Gods, Into The Battle, Slayer Of Light, Token Of Time, and my very favorite Guardians Of Fate. Anyone heard Metallica's cover Battery?
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
12.09.2007 - 20:52
RedBaron
Account deleted
For long time my favorite song was (and still is... partially) Windrider. But Sword Chant is just perfect! Jari's work 100% I think!
I see that Ensif. announced the new tour dates for Europe! Hope to catch a glimpse of them!
13.09.2007 - 01:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Im really anticipating how the next album is going to sound.....only one original member left, make comparisons between it and the debut album, should be interesting to hear what a new keyboardist will bring in.
----
- George Carlin
14.09.2007 - 08:20
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Woodsy
Yeah sure Meijus keyboards sort lie underneath the music, but if you were to take them out, youd notice a huge difference. So I figure a new sound is going to be brought in, and even if Markus lets the new keyboardist have some writing power in the music (or atleast more than Meiju had) your going to see a big difference.....maybe thats just me.
----
- George Carlin
17.09.2007 - 09:54
Mystic Ice
Account deleted
I like new Ensiferum and I think it really shows how good they are on the live DVD, it's excellent and they even give the old songs with the former line up a really great live sound. However it seems to me the real magic of the band is now gone. I realize it's pointless to expect the old sound to come back but I don't think they will ever top their first album. Excellent, excellent record, truly a gem of the genre.

Now the keyboardist has left as well - I am sure they will get a competent replacement but damn, too many member changes and the style is just gone. I am not sure they can recover from this too many times and still be "Ensiferum".
20.09.2007 - 08:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Woodsy
Yeah it all comes down to the name your familiar with, same thing happened with Motley Crue when they lost Vince Neil, they put out a great album without him but was considered crap because it was called Motley Crue but didnt have Vince.
----
- George Carlin
20.09.2007 - 19:59
RavenLord
Written by [user id=3160] on 20.09.2007 at 04:28

The thing that sucks the most for me, is Jari could/can sing properly and I mean sing, Pete can't and I don't like Sami Hinkka's voice at all. That's where the magic is gone, 1 singer who could do it all, replaced by 3 different vocalists is ridiculous but was the only way it would've worked for them to carry on.

Maybe they shouldn't have, maybe after Iron they should have put Ensiferum to rest and done something new, or put out Dragonheads under a new band name...?

I don't really think that would be right. After all, many bands change vocalists quite drastically. Should Maiden have changed their name for The X Factor? No, because despite the darker tone and different voice (courtesy of Blaze), the bulk of the songwriting was, as ever, done by Steve Harris, and he is Iron Maiden. As long as Toivonen is in Ensiferum and writing most of the music, it will never be anything other than Ensiferum. I agree in that they'll never reach the peak that was the first, self-titled, debut, but that's not to say that Victory Songs isn't good...it's a cut above most of the other cookie-cutter folk metal out there (Turisas etc.)
----
22.09.2007 - 12:51
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Written by Warman on 07.09.2007 at 19:59

Written by Doc G. on 03.09.2007 at 23:24

I just got Victory Songs and I love it! the banjo is freaking awesome and Petris growls I enjoy alot more than Jaris.the album just all around kicks ass. Though I am going to miss Jaris guitar works and clean vocals.

I came to this thread to write the exact same thing... although, I don't miss Jari. Petri is doing a perfect job.

Im thirding this, i mean its definatly a worthy album, i was impressed with a number of tracks actually. Jari was perfect though, and impossible to replace, Petri does a decent job though. Im happy.
27.09.2007 - 00:43
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Just out of curiosity, can someone tell me why Jari left/got kicked out of Ensiferum?
----
- George Carlin
27.09.2007 - 03:05
Opium
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 27.09.2007 at 00:43

Just out of curiosity, can someone tell me why Jari left/got kicked out of Ensiferum?

Their playing style didn't suit the way he wanted to play and couldn't devote time towards both bands, thus he left.
27.11.2007 - 18:10
Finicella
Account deleted
Great band! :3
I really like them but I just have two albums.
I think my favorite song is "Windrider", it's very inspiring.. :3
27.11.2007 - 22:35
RavenLord
Written by [user id=12867] on 27.09.2007 at 03:05

Their playing style didn't suit the way he wanted to play and couldn't devote time towards both bands, thus he left.

To clarify this, Jari had booked studio time for recording 'Wintersun' around the same time that Ensiferum were booked for the 'Iron' tour. Neither side found out about the clash until everything was booked, so Jari was faced with an ultimatum, and decided that he preferred to have his own artistic freedom in his band, rather than being the main player in Markus Toivonen's band.
----
27.11.2007 - 23:43
bucky01403
Account deleted
Written by RavenLord on 27.11.2007 at 22:35

Written by [user id=12867] on 27.09.2007 at 03:05

To clarify this, Jari had booked studio time for recording 'Wintersun' around the same time that Ensiferum were booked for the 'Iron' tour. Neither side found out about the clash until everything was booked, so Jari was faced with an ultimatum, and decided that he preferred to have his own artistic freedom in his band, rather than being the main player in Markus Toivonen's band.

I've always wondered about that, t hanks for clearing it up.

Victory Songs is a great album, it pisses me off it's the only one I can find. If the rest of their albums are as good as Victory Songs, Ensiferum is a band I definatly want to invest some more in.
28.11.2007 - 17:23
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by [user id=19596] on 27.11.2007 at 23:43

Victory Songs is a great album, it pisses me off it's the only one I can find. If the rest of their albums are as good as Victory Songs, Ensiferum is a band I definatly want to invest some more in.

It's a long time since I last listened to the two first albums. But if I remember correctly they're all almost equally great!
----
27.12.2007 - 06:05
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
currently in an ensiferum phase, loving all their stuff, and im quite impressed with the new album, it far exceeded my expectations
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
10.01.2008 - 21:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
shame on me i have discovered them as late as today...they are so genius
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

11.01.2008 - 02:26
Robstar
I got all their albums and all of them fucking rock.... great folk metal... Also I have their 10th anniversary dvd... and is so good...
Taking into acount that the vocalist is the same one from Norther there's no more else to say that this band Fucking Rules!

Their last album is quite good ! I dig it .
----
Nothing is unreacheable
11.01.2008 - 03:01
deadset61
Account deleted
This band kicks major ass hope to see them live sometime soon!
29.02.2008 - 13:58
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Phenomenal. Full stop. I mean, what is there else to say, great incorporation of styles, just love them.
----
20.03.2008 - 21:22
Vegetarian
Account deleted
To be honest, I think that their best album is Victory Songs. Also, Ensiferum is really good. However, Iron just doesn't cut it for me. My favorite song from that album is Ferrum Aertunum (however you spell it), and most of the best songs on that album aren't even that good. However, the other two albums are great, especially Victory Songs.
20.03.2008 - 22:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Vegetarian
Whats not great about the songs off of 'Iron'?
----
- George Carlin
22.03.2008 - 15:26
BADDEST MEMBER
I love Iron best, lyric and music of that one are so amazing fused
22.03.2008 - 17:33
Warman
Erotic Stains
Wanderer has become me and my friends favourite booze song! We have burned a CD full of great songs to sing along to in a drunken state.

He will ride across land and time/To find his way through the endless night/There's a storm in his heart...
----
22.03.2008 - 21:40
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Warman
Shitty, I find that song one of the weakest on the album, I just really dont like the vocals, which is odd because I love the chorus to 'Victory Song'.
----
- George Carlin