Metal Storm logo
DragonForce

Original post

Posted by FlareHeart, 18.05.2006 - 03:58
Since there wasn't a thread for them yet I thought to make one for them. Just the typical band thread. Post your opinions, good and bad are welcome. My opinion is that these guys are very talented although they do need to try something new. All of their albums are far too similar. After listening to all of their albums it is had for me to tell them apart. But overall a very good band with a very unique sound. The topic is now open for posting!
20.12.2007 - 23:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
world is small and the borders are vanishing

our state borders (of Czech Republis) will practically disappear tomorrow in the midnight for instance (we are entering "Shengen")
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.12.2007 - 02:23
220volt
Account deleted
Quote:
Ok, from now on I'll call em British then:P
Alway knew that they are formed in London, hm, you're right with the part that they are a British band since they're based in London, funny though that none of em come from England, with an exception for Totman.

Cheers mate!
13.01.2008 - 14:09
Son of Odin
In my opinion the best band that has come out the last 15 years, melodic and fast power metal at its finest!!!
Started to listen to them before they released their debut album Valley of the damned, an album that is totally awesome!
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
13.01.2008 - 14:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
best is Sonic Firestorm, but Valley Of The Damned still very good too
----

13.01.2008 - 20:53
Son of Odin
Written by Ellrohir on 13.01.2008 at 14:43

best is Sonic Firestorm, but Valley Of The Damned still very good too

Yeah, sonic firestorm is awesome, saw the band on that tour and they kicked ass!
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
27.01.2008 - 14:29
Stratowarrior
i like dragonforce , but just like flareheart i think they should try something new cos some of their songs are awesome but some of them are a little bit to exgerated...but i like them...cheers
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
07.05.2008 - 06:41
Trinstar
First of all, I am new to Metal Storm, and cheers to you all!
DragonForce is my favorite band, and has been since I first listened to them. A friend of mine played the song "Fury of the Storm" for me, and from the moment I heard the words, "Into the fires of forever, we will fly through the heavens / With the power of the universe we stand strong together" I was a diehard. I knew this would be the most powerful music influence for me since Led Zeppelin when I was six years of age. The pounding riffs that just don't quit, the amazing guitar shred-harmonies, the melodic keyboard mastery, the merciless skin pounding, and the soaring, dreamlike vocals made the most amazing sound my ears had ever heard. I haven't stopped listening to this band in 2 1/2 years. I discover new notes and lyrics every time I hear them, and I never get burnt out. I think each song stands alone as great, regardless of any "repetition" one perceives, because the truth is that through their blazing speed and lightning fast shred, there is an amazing melody that lies beneath each tune, harmonized wonderfully with alternating instruments. Their technicality is almost unmatched, and when combined with their minor-chord riffs played at 190-210 bpm, they still sound very much like "music", which is something I cannot say about any other metal band. Their speed is partially gimmick, because these songs played at 3/4 speed would still sound great. It takes many listens and some drugs to fully decipher the content and context of the message they are transmitting, but in the end they are the most musical band to play that fast. Ever. And their choruses are the climax of every tune, which is insane because that is the only time the guitar playing slows down. Indeed I am a hardcore fan of DragonForce, as they have inspired me to take my guitar playing to the next level, and have inspired me beyond that of what any band ever has, possibly all bands combined! Not to mention leading me into the great genre of Power Metal!!! Hail, DragonForce!
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
08.05.2008 - 22:58
PrinceofSylvania
Account deleted
Dragonforce fucking owns!!!!! I seriously cannot get enough of them. I can't wait for the new album to come out. Best album IMO is Inhuman Rampage. It's my third favorite of all time. "Through The Fire And The Flames" is a total badass song. One of the all time best in metal!!!
08.05.2008 - 23:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Operation Ground And Pound is imo better from Inhuman Rampage...and overall i like the first two albums better than this one
----

11.05.2008 - 11:13
Hrothdane
Fury of the Storm is actually responsible for introducing me to power metal, so it will always be one of my favorites just for the sentimental value. They aren't my favorite b/c many of their songs sound really similar, but they do have some great stand outs like "My Spirit Will Go On," "Through the Fire and Flames," and "Dawn Over a New World." Also, despite what anyone might say about them, the fact that they are getting mainstream exposure for a genre of metal that is largely unknown is great imo.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
13.05.2008 - 21:29
Gordon Freeman
Dragonforce is an okay Power Metal band in my opinion.

I put them at the bottom of the Power Metal spectrum though when compared to such greats as Blind Guardian or Lost Horizon.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
14.05.2008 - 16:33
Elodie Artour
Slania
Why do people count Lost Horizon as power metal?Don't they play speed?
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
14.05.2008 - 22:43
Smurfophagist
Why do people trash talk Herman Li so much?
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
15.05.2008 - 00:06
ß
Problem?
He's a good studio guitarist but he can't play live. Whats the point in even making songs that your unable to perform live.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
15.05.2008 - 01:56
Trial By Fire
Account deleted
Written by ß on 15.05.2008 at 00:06

He's a good studio guitarist but he can't play live. Whats the point in even making songs that your unable to perform live.

Not that i'm a huge fan of Dragonforce, but I've never really understood this point of view that bands shouldn't try to make their albums sound as good as possible, regardless of whether or not they can replicate it live. Music is an art, and albums are the medium of their art. Should Pink Floyd not have used most of their studio created sounds and effects because they weren't able to reproduce it note for note live? Of course not. People seem to be wrapped up in their ability to deliver live. If they don't put on a good live show, don't go see them. Their live performances should not have an impact on the opinions of the actual albums.

ps (just to clarify I'm not comparing Dragonforce to Pink Floyd, that would just be silly)
15.05.2008 - 02:45
JESTER576
Account deleted
EH I don't like Dragonforce at all. They play the same fucking solo in all of their songs, which really makes me doubt their playing abilities. ANd besides most of the parts in their songs that sound cool, are from the keyboardist and Herman Li and Sam take all the credit. Actually I think Sam is the only REAL guitar palyer in that band because allhe does is the rythm parts whichisn't that hard.
15.05.2008 - 06:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by [user id=31433] on 15.05.2008 at 02:45

EH I don't like Dragonforce at all. They play the same fucking solo in all of their songs, which really makes me doubt their playing abilities. ANd besides most of the parts in their songs that sound cool, are from the keyboardist and Herman Li and Sam take all the credit. Actually I think Sam is the only REAL guitar palyer in that band because allhe does is the rythm parts whichisn't that hard.

Uh, actually, Sam solos just as Much as Herman. It's just that he gets more recognition because he's a *Scary ghost voice* Chinese Guitarist. But yeah, they trade off solo's and stuff. Just watch the video to Through the Fire and the Flames. There's even a close up of their hands as they switch.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
15.05.2008 - 22:32
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I see these guys as the modern Def Lepard. All studio work to create catchy cookie cutter music.
----
(space for rent)
16.05.2008 - 06:52
mortjoyeux
I got bored of this band too quick. same old stuff revised over and over again.
17.05.2008 - 16:48
JESTER576
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2008 at 22:32

I see these guys as the modern Def Lepard. All studio work to create catchy cookie cutter music.

Agreed.
17.05.2008 - 21:28
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by mortjoyeux on 16.05.2008 at 06:52

I got bored of this band too quick. same old stuff revised over and over again.

I have the same feeling about this band.their song are so tiresome! I cant cant listen to a song twice
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)

20.05.2008 - 00:31
Gordon Freeman
Written by [user id=31433] on 17.05.2008 at 16:48

Agreed.

Minus the copius amounts of drugs and alchohol and the one armed drummer.
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

20.05.2008 - 05:24
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Gordon Freeman on 20.05.2008 at 00:31

Agreed.

And probaly with much less girls.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.05.2008 - 13:48
Blood Raven
Trail Of Broken Hearts is the only song I've heard from 'em, and it's fucking awsome!
21.05.2008 - 04:01
DIO Is God
Account deleted
I've seen these guys live 3 times now and they still put on one of the best shows, IMO. I absolutely love what they do live. Yeah, it doesn't sound like the studio, but who fucking cares? Deep Purple never played anything the same way twice, and they never got any shit. Also, they write some of the best Power Metal. I'll rank it right up there with DIO, and Rainbow. And yeah, individually, Herman and Sam aren't the best, and yeah, they do get a bit sloppy, but as a team, they're unstoppable. They're the Duane Allman/Dickey Betts of this decade. For those of you who don't know who the fuck I'm talking about, Duane and Dickey were the guitarist for the legendary southern rock band, The Allman Brothers. They were a couple of the best guitarists in the 70s.
22.05.2008 - 00:36
Ferret
Account deleted
I can't listen to them for extended periods of time, it just gets too repetetive.
Decent power metal though, pretty talented band.
22.05.2008 - 19:00
vatro
Account deleted
Herman li is amazing
25.05.2008 - 05:42
JESTER576
Account deleted

Agreed.

Got a point there. I ho nestly think they're the Milly Vanilly of metal.
26.05.2008 - 01:26
Gordon Freeman
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.05.2008 at 05:24

Agreed.

And probaly with much less girls.

Hey a lot of power metalers are girl-like...at least from behind. Does that count?
----

26.05.2008 - 10:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
----