Metal Storm logo
What tuning do you play in?

26.12.2007 - 19:58
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i mostly play in standard tuning, but occasionally when i feel like playing stuff like Metallica-Whiskey in the Jar, i go down to drop D, seldom in Eb.

you?
26.12.2007 - 20:02
Lord TJ
I used to always play in EADGBE but now I always play a step down, DGCFAD.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
26.12.2007 - 20:44
Sunioj
Standard E for the most part, and if Im feeling Death Metal I will go down to standard D. But I used to play standard C when I first started playing, well thats not an option anymore, its bad for the pegs holding the strings in place after awhile
26.12.2007 - 22:14
Stalker
Lone wanderer
E. Retuned few times to Eb to play Iced Earth.
I would be happiest man in the world if I could have 3 guitars.
One in Eb for Iced Earth, one in D for Death, and one in E for everything else.
----
26.12.2007 - 23:01
Smurfophagist
I mostly play in standard...sometimes in dropped D, sometimes a whole step down, and when I'm playing Slayer I go half step down.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
26.12.2007 - 23:42
Stalker
Lone wanderer
You guys can really play in D without changing strings?? What strings do you use (thickness)
----
27.12.2007 - 00:15
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Stalker on 26.12.2007 at 23:42

You guys can really play in D without changing strings?? What strings do you use (thickness)

wtf dude, that should be possible with all strings... i use 0.10 custom gauge ernie ball and they work perfectly in almost any tuning(except i never up-tune the 1st two strings)
27.12.2007 - 00:18
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i mostly play in standard tuning, but i love the sound of 1 step down, just that much heavier, but i need it in standard for lessons and for playing in church band, so i generally keep it in standard...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.12.2007 - 00:26
Sunioj
Huh, now that I think about it, Im pretty much standard E 99% of the time especially since I jam with other people and generally just used to the layout of notes on the fretboard in terms of the sound, so thats the tuning I practice all my scales and chords on.
27.12.2007 - 09:34
Syk
myspace/bonerama
I think I've fucked my guitar up over the years by changing the tuning too much, the only time I've had six strings on it this year is a short time in March thanks to Savage Messiah This year I had a very brief conversation with a music store person about how I changed my tunings and he said that would be one of the reasons why my guitar is getting ruined faster than normal. I should ask them about it further but I've never quite had the motivation...

I would have changed from E to B and back with a few things in between, sometimes making up my own little variations, several times a month. I also wish I had more guitars, preferably four so I could keep in B, E, D and C# all at the same time, dropping the 6 whenever necessary.
So yeah I hardly ever play my electric these days... I would appreciate anyone PMing me some good details about how to keep the strings & other stuff in good condition, cos I never really learnt any basic maintenance stuff. I think my preferred strings are .011 to .049 (or even .052) though I spent a lot of time with .010 to .046s. Thanks to my massive lack of knowledge on the technical aspects of a guitar, however, I have absolutely no idea why that is my preference.

The acoustic is currently in standard tuning, and I'm finding that a lot of good songs to play on that are in Drop D so it's very handy there.

postscript - my electric has been in B tuning for over half the year... with three strings missing
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
27.12.2007 - 10:00
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
i like the sound of 1 or half a step down, but when you're changing all the time, its easier just to stay in stadnard...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
27.12.2007 - 13:59
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Valentin B on 27.12.2007 at 00:15

wtf dude, that should be possible with all strings... i use 0.10 custom gauge ernie ball and they work perfectly in almost any tuning(except i never up-tune the 1st two strings)

Well, I use 009 and wouldnt they become too loose in standard D??
----
27.12.2007 - 14:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Stalker on 27.12.2007 at 13:59

Written by Valentin B on 27.12.2007 at 00:15

Well, I use 009 and wouldnt they become too loose in standard D??

well, come to think of it, yes they would sound a bit weak, i suggest 0.11 or 0.12 to play good in D
27.12.2007 - 14:30
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Valentin B on 27.12.2007 at 14:27

well, come to think of it, yes they would sound a bit weak, i suggest 0.11 or 0.12 to play good in D

Yaeh man, that was my point of changing strings, now you dig it.
----
27.12.2007 - 14:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Stalker on 27.12.2007 at 14:30

of course, the thicker the strings, the better the sound, especially when it comes to metal. they might be really tight and in extreme cases they could bend your neck, like if you try 0.13's for standard E, but at least the sound is worth it.
27.12.2007 - 15:02
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Valentin B on 27.12.2007 at 14:49

Written by Stalker on 27.12.2007 at 14:30

of course, the thicker the strings, the better the sound, especially when it comes to metal. they might be really tight and in extreme cases they could bend your neck, like if you try 0.13's for standard E, but at least the sound is worth it.

I wont do that, be sure ;P since I like thinner strings because its easier to control tone on them, you know what I mean..?
----
28.12.2007 - 03:43
Zombie, M.D.
Depends what Im doing. Typically I stick with E standard. Sometimes I play in drop A (hahah, yeah) when I want to do some death metal.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
28.12.2007 - 12:11
KryptoN
imperceptible
Written by Zombie, M.D. on 28.12.2007 at 03:43

Sometimes I play in drop A (hahah, yeah) when I want to do some death metal.

I play in drop-A quite often too (for some Nile stuff and some of my own wankery etc.).

Mostly I play in B (love this tune) and E standard though. I've got a 0.12 set for B / drop-A which works nicely.
28.12.2007 - 22:29
NECURATU

it's really the other way around. Fat strings last longer but thiner strings have a better tone. But if by metal you mean some fvcked up ultra sick br00tality yeah, get 'em as fat as they go
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
28.12.2007 - 23:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by NECURATU on 28.12.2007 at 22:29

it's really the other way around. Fat strings last longer but thiner strings have a better tone. But if by metal you mean some fvcked up ultra sick br00tality yeah, get 'em as fat as they go

no, no, no. i don't know where did you get this idea but try this: get a 0.08 high e string, and tune it to A under normal E, and see how well it sounds. then try a 0.13 and see the difference. the tone will be much fuller, and of course fuller means "heavier", so it's better for metal.

or you could just try with your own E string, tune it to B or something, and i guarantee it sounds like crap, if it's a thin one you're using(i assume)
28.12.2007 - 23:50
Varegan
Hamranakara
I don't like how it sounds on D (maybe because of my rusty guitar). I always tune on standard or Eb, its best for playing BM
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
29.12.2007 - 12:25
NECURATU
Written by Valentin B on 28.12.2007 at 23:27

Written by NECURATU on 28.12.2007 at 22:29

no, no, no. i don't know where did you get this idea but try this: get a 0.08 high e string, and tune it to A under normal E, and see how well it sounds. then try a 0.13 and see the difference. the tone will be much fuller, and of course fuller means "heavier", so it's better for metal.

or you could just try with your own E string, tune it to B or something, and i guarantee it sounds like crap, if it's a thin one you're using(i assume)

Hmm, didn't look it up anywhere, it just seems to me that skinny strings sound better (brighter, clearer bla bla) both on my bass and my guitar so dunno Cheers.
----
When the sun rises I take my flock on the balks
When the moon rises I tell the woods good night
04.01.2008 - 18:37
torniojaws
Standard 7-string (BEADGBE) for the most part. Two songs I've done in Vortech are in drop-A, but everything else is in standard tuning. When Coldway was active, I used G#-tuning on a 7-string.
----
Vortech - New album out! VortechMusic.com Industrial Death Metal
05.01.2008 - 13:32
Septic Schizo
For 1,5 year I tune for BEADF#B, i use ernie ball strings (0.11 - 0.54). Earlier i tune for DGCFAD and I play on D'addario (0.09 - 0.42)
06.01.2008 - 04:39
deadset61
Account deleted
i mostly play in drop d or c. sometime if i feel like playing old metallica ill tune back up to standard
21.01.2008 - 23:24
Aldaz0r
Account deleted
BEADGBE i use a 7 string guitar because i like the low sound of B tuning but cant do without the high sound of Standard E
24.01.2008 - 00:56
Hellsing
D
----
±M@u®î©îر
www.myspace.com/voidcr
www.myspace.com/strato_mauricio
24.01.2008 - 01:04
Ur-Nammu
Account deleted
I play drop-C for our stoner project, and drop-B for our post-metal/sludge/doom band. Tuning pedals are a handy little application to have around.
26.01.2008 - 12:27
Smurfophagist
0.10 seem pretty good for playing in 1 step down. I use this tuning often now because started to play Symphony X stuff.
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
26.01.2008 - 14:36
APOHAKC
The Bard
Standard E, it kinda depends of band or music I play in or of though
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!