Metal Storm logo
What tuning do you play in?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.12.2007 - 19:58
i mostly play in standard tuning, but occasionally when i feel like playing stuff like Metallica-Whiskey in the Jar, i go down to drop D, seldom in Eb.

you?
03.02.2009 - 01:27
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
B standard for Amon Amarth and D standard otherwise
04.02.2009 - 08:09
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
On topic, who plays Amon Amath songs?
05.02.2009 - 13:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Carl Berg on 04.02.2009 at 08:09

On topic, who plays Amon Amath songs?

i'd play some(For the Stabwounds in our Backs, The Sound of Eight Hooves and The Fate of Norns) but i just can't be bothered to abuse my strings by tuning down and up everytime i feel like playing AA.
05.02.2009 - 19:08
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
Yeah, I understand that... that's why I bought a cheap strat and left in B standard
07.02.2009 - 03:26
Your41Plague12
Account deleted
I keep my 5-string bass in B-standard usually (for playing on my own) but my current band plays in drop D. I prefer standard tunings, to be honest (My favorites are Eb and C# standard), but bands are few and far between where I'm at so I put up with it.
07.02.2009 - 15:34
Sunioj
Written by Guest on 07.02.2009 at 03:26

I keep my 5-string bass in B-standard usually (for playing on my own) but my current band plays in drop D. I prefer standard tunings, to be honest (My favorites are Eb and C# standard), but bands are few and far between where I'm at so I put up with it.

I know exactly what you mean, I prefer standard tuning as well but whenever I find an opportunity for joining a metal band, it goes something like this:

Person: "Oh, I heard you play bass. That's great, cuz we're looking for one. What styles of music you play?".
Me: "Awesome, I like to play everything from alt. rock to depressive bm. but I mostly dig death and black metal."
Person: "Good, you are just what we are looking for. By the way, what tuning to you play in?"
Me: "Standard."
Person: "Oh... uh.. think about getting that thing tuned down?"

I might buy this ibanez soundgear that is sitting around at my old school, unplayed. Get it polished and set up big time to maybe standard A. I like the idea of 5 strings, but I tried a couple, and I'm just not comfortable playing it. I'd rather have two 4 strings, one standard and one down tuned.
09.02.2009 - 05:19
Your41Plague12
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 07.02.2009 at 15:34

I know exactly what you mean, I prefer standard tuning as well but whenever I find an opportunity for joining a metal band, it goes something like this:

Person: "Oh, I heard you play bass. That's great, cuz we're looking for one. What styles of music you play?".
Me: "Awesome, I like to play everything from alt. rock to depressive bm. but I mostly dig death and black metal."
Person: "Good, you are just what we are looking for. By the way, what tuning to you play in?"

I might buy this ibanez soundgear that is sitting around at my old school, unplayed. Get it polished and set up big time to maybe standard A. I like the idea of 5 strings, but I tried a couple, and I'm just not comfortable playing it. I'd rather have two 4 strings, one standard and one down tuned.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt; you know exactly what I'm talking about. I've been playing in standard tunings for years, and I get out-of-whack once I drop tune. If I detune it's fine because the scale postions stay the same and everything. Once the intervals across each string get mixed up, I struggle a little bit. I'm getting better though, but I'll still prefer a standard tuning every time.
09.02.2009 - 13:10
Yooden
Nowadays its mostly drop c for my current band, the metalcore-tuning

Otherwhise its standard or drop-d for a more heavy metal oriented style.
----
www.aji-works.net
www.theycalluslegion.com
09.02.2009 - 16:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 09.02.2009 at 05:19

Written by Sunioj on 07.02.2009 at 15:34

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt; you know exactly what I'm talking about. I've been playing in standard tunings for years, and I get out-of-whack once I drop tune. If I detune it's fine because the scale postions stay the same and everything. Once the intervals across each string get mixed up, I struggle a little bit. I'm getting better though, but I'll still prefer a standard tuning every time.

hmmm even though i'm a standard tuning man myself, i do admit that power chords containing the thickest string are way easier to play when playing in drop d
09.02.2009 - 17:50
Sunioj
Written by Valentin B on 09.02.2009 at 16:03

hmmm even though i'm a standard tuning man myself, i do admit that power chords containing the thickest string are way easier to play when playing in drop d

I do agree, but my intonation isn't as good as I noticed, and I'm pretty damn picky when it comes to that. Though, if you're playing dirty sounding stuff it kinda works out better like.

dunne esse, depends on the situation mang.
09.02.2009 - 18:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Sunioj on 09.02.2009 at 17:50

Written by Valentin B on 09.02.2009 at 16:03

I do agree, but my intonation isn't as good as I noticed, and I'm pretty damn picky when it comes to that. Though, if you're playing dirty sounding stuff it kinda works out better like.

dunne esse, depends on the situation mang.

yeah lol, for Venom stuff it's pretty much the only tuning that matters... also you can only use one finger! how cool is that?
09.02.2009 - 21:52
Sunioj
Written by Valentin B on 09.02.2009 at 18:00

yeah lol, for Venom stuff it's pretty much the only tuning that matters... also you can only use one finger! how cool is that?

haha, actually that reminds of the bassist/singer of Rush. He plays bass with one finger, but also uses the upstroke from lifting this plucking finger to hit a note. Its a pretty tricky method though...
11.02.2009 - 01:49
Your41Plague12
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 09.02.2009 at 21:52

Written by Valentin B on 09.02.2009 at 18:00

haha, actually that reminds of the bassist/singer of Rush. He plays bass with one finger, but also uses the upstroke from lifting this plucking finger to hit a note. Its a pretty tricky method though...

Yep, that would be Geddy Lee. It's common knowledge that he has one of the worst techniques for bass playing, yet he's one of the best out there. It makes me wonder what he could do if he pushed himself to play with solid technique... anyways, Venom is damn fun to play on bass, too. It's fast, aggressive, and in-your-face for the entire song. Angel Dust is my favorite to play, along with Welcome to Hell and Witching Hour. Good stuff!
28.02.2009 - 00:14
jd-inflames
Account deleted
I typically play in Eb, sometimes in drop Db. It's more comfortable for my fingers for some reason, and that extra half-step is such a deeper sound.
07.03.2009 - 21:54
Saitenhexerin
Mostly it is standard tuning, or Eb, but for playing heavier stuff I go down to Drop C or Drop B, or even to C (to play along with In Flames).
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
05.04.2009 - 06:23
Mongoose2557
Account deleted
I play Standard and Drop D when i'm with my first band and when i'm with my second band I play in Eb. I really wanna tune to B standard to play Amon Amarth, I can't get enough time in to do so where I have time to play and not tune it back to one of the other tunings.
05.04.2009 - 22:59
Wyrd
Drop C or E flat
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
07.04.2009 - 16:07
TormentoR.
(D,G,C,F,A,D) curent tuning. obituary style,. played chopped in half yesterday the sound rlz .. yet the string are limply. but it was easier to pick!
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
08.04.2009 - 00:53
AuroraShadows
Account deleted
Written by TormentoR. on 07.04.2009 at 16:07

(D,G,C,F,A,D) curent tuning. obituary style,. played chopped in half yesterday the sound rlz .. yet the string are limply. but it was easier to pick!

That's an interesting tuning... I usually just play D-D. But I like C# - I may fiddle around with that tuning more.. and even just standard does the trick for me at times.
09.04.2009 - 01:34
TormentoR.
Written by Guest on 08.04.2009 at 00:53

That's an interesting tuning... I usually just play D-D. But I like C# - I may fiddle around with that tuning more.. and even just standard does the trick for me at times.

Yep it is. i like it, but im gona soon try some other tunings.. like, hmm.. i wonderd how Trey from MA tunes his guitar hmmm.. gota check that out : P
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
09.04.2009 - 16:17
AuroraShadows
Account deleted
Written by TormentoR. on 09.04.2009 at 01:34

Yep it is. i like it, but im gona soon try some other tunings.. like, hmm.. i wonderd how Trey from MA tunes his guitar hmmm.. gota check that out : P

I'd hate to be a n00b.. but what's MA?
09.04.2009 - 16:34
routa
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.04.2009 at 16:17

Morbid Angel. Noob!
09.04.2009 - 16:36
TormentoR.
Written by Guest on 09.04.2009 at 16:34

Morbid Angel. Noob!

Come on man :/ she not a n00b...
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
09.04.2009 - 16:42
AuroraShadows
Account deleted
Written by TormentoR. on 09.04.2009 at 16:36

Written by Guest on 09.04.2009 at 16:34

Morbid Angel. Noob!

LOL Well the reason I ask is cause I usually mix up MA with Moonlight Agony. Am I n00b for knowing them? teehee
09.04.2009 - 16:45
routa
Account deleted

Nor was I being serious.
09.04.2009 - 16:50
TormentoR.
Quote:

LOL Well the reason I ask is cause I usually mix up MA with Moonlight Agony. Am I n00b for knowing them? teehee

You re not a n00b., and yea i was thinking too that you've mixed up band names.. but i didnt know with ones

Written by Guest on 09.04.2009 at 16:45

Nor was I being serious.

Good then
----

Evil undisguised
Breathe in pain
Blackened souls remain
10.05.2009 - 05:46
peirateis
I've got ernie ball not even slinky (12-56) strings on my guitar, so I'm typically in D standard. I'll occasionally go to drop C, and rarely to Db standard.
31.05.2009 - 12:45
gid
Standard tuning on a seven string. Every so often I'll tune my six string to open C.
10.06.2009 - 13:36
terrorist
I prefer E tunning but on my second guitar i keep it on D.I'am not fan of lower tunnings.Anyway if i would tune my guitar lower i would need a diffrent guitar.
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
10.06.2009 - 16:01
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
If I was going to tune down 2.5 steps (standard DM tuning) I know I need to get thicker strings but are there any other modifications I would need to make? I'm playing an RR5 at the moment but was thinking of investing in a new guitar for death metal stuff.