Metal Storm logo
What tuning do you play in?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.12.2007 - 19:58
i mostly play in standard tuning, but occasionally when i feel like playing stuff like Metallica-Whiskey in the Jar, i go down to drop D, seldom in Eb.

you?
17.03.2012 - 06:53
Mattybu

Written by Branzig on 17.03.2012 at 06:50

Written by Mattybu on 17.03.2012 at 06:48

Honestly, not completely sure, I put them on a long time ago and I forget. I know there's strings you can get that would solve my problem though. I just don't have them

The only good thing about it is if I play for a long time in C# then when I go back up the strings feel nice and tense and I'll have a period of like 10 minutes where I just shred, lol

Jeeze fool! I think it's time you get some new strings haha.

Power Slinkys FTW. Handle standard to drop tunings very well!

Haha thanks, if I see 'em that sounds like a good plan.
29.04.2012 - 17:14
Urizen367

I generally use D# and drop C#. its the same tuning used by volbeat, early judas priest, and collective soul. i wanna experiment with open C, but will be waiting till i get another guitar before doing so for various excuses.
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
29.04.2012 - 17:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I just put mine in D standard, just to try out some new sounds.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.04.2012 - 17:30
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Always standard, sometimes Dropped D
29.04.2012 - 17:45
theFIST

None, i use what happens to turn out
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
29.04.2012 - 18:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Urizen367 on 29.04.2012 at 17:14

I generally use D# and drop C#. its the same tuning used by volbeat, early judas priest, and collective soul. i wanna experiment with open C, but will be waiting till i get another guitar before doing so for various excuses.

aside from the Ripper years (when they played in D), Priest has only ever used standard tuning
29.04.2012 - 18:56
Urizen367

Written by Valentin B on 29.04.2012 at 18:52

Written by Urizen367 on 29.04.2012 at 17:14

aside from the Ripper years (when they played in D), Priest has only ever used standard tuning

eh. most of the guitar pro things i get from them are in D# (or e flat. it's just a half step down)
----
I will not reason and compare, my business is to create.
29.04.2012 - 18:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I currently have my newest guitar tuned in B standard, like a baritone guitar. I'm starting a new project on which we wanted to sound lower.
It's great cause I can play almost any song that is on D, drop D, drop C, blah, blah without detuning; I just have to transpose the song.
24.05.2012 - 17:15
Infernal Eternal

I play in good ol' standard.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
25.05.2012 - 14:44
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
My guitar is half a step lower.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.05.2012 - 23:35
wrathchild

Standard tuning here too. Half a step lower is nice when bending a lot but that's definitely not my style.
I tried lower tunings in the past but with cheap guitars and strings it sounded almost as bad as St Anger...
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
03.01.2013 - 03:31
scrambles

Alright, i have a question for everybody: what kind of metal do you play, and how does that influence your tuning? i mean, drop-C would sound way different in a death metal song than it would in a black metal song.
03.01.2013 - 17:54
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by scrambles on 03.01.2013 at 03:31

Alright, i have a question for everybody: what kind of metal do you play, and how does that influence your tuning? i mean, drop-C would sound way different in a death metal song than it would in a black metal song.

I recorded a black metal demo on an old guitar in standard tuning. (link in my signature) I played some of the riffs with my Ibanez, which is tuned to C standard and it sounded awful. My Ibanez sounds great for Stoner or Sludge though.

Here's the way I look at it.

Heavy/thrash/power = standard, maybe half-step down

Doom/stoner/heavy shit = generally in C

Death/metalcore = Drop B, A or C

Post/prog/drone/ambient = Extremely varied.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.01.2013 - 12:55
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Right now I play in D# with my band and D when it's just me with my acoustic as I have a very deep voice and I love how the 0.13 acoustic strings feel.
07.01.2013 - 23:34
ANGEL REAPER

Black metal is best when its played in standard tuning btw...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.01.2013 - 06:04
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.01.2013 at 23:34

Yup, sometimes a half-step down.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.01.2013 - 08:40
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Boxcar Willy on 08.01.2013 at 06:04

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.01.2013 at 23:34

Yup, sometimes a half-step down.

yeah...half -step down is also good tuning for BM...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
27.01.2013 - 07:52
squidrick420

I have a 7 string, and it is usually in B standard, however i rarely use the low B string anymore so i basically play in E standard all the time. Every now and then i will play around with drop D or drop A though.
27.01.2013 - 20:30
Sangre Sani

Standard E FTW!
04.02.2013 - 10:51
Sunioj

My 4 string is standard B. I thought it would be weird playing songs that involved slap/pop like rage against the machine in this tuning, but its fine really. So I can play everything from rock to death metal just fine.
13.03.2013 - 01:02
nasmith

EDIT: Nowadays I generally have it in C standard (C-F-Bb-Eb-G-C), which I can easily drop to Bb-F-Bb-Eb-G-C for more space-efficent power chords. For a lot of funeral doom songs I'll tune it down to drop A (A-E-A-D-F#-A) or put it back up to D (D-G-C-F-A-D, with the 6th string easily dropped to C). Very rarely I'll put it up to standard/drop D, or to drop Gb (for songs like this), etc.

My rule of thumb is, have a fourth interval between the 5th/6th strings (e.g., difference between E and A) for more effective scales and thirds on those strings, but a fifth (e.g., difference between D and A) for fast power chord changes.
27.03.2013 - 14:58
Jtbmetal123

I play standard most of the time.
12.04.2013 - 11:57
PeterFranks

I use standard tuning and drop D
20.04.2013 - 00:16
Vind
Ascendant
I play half-step down but not entirely, I make the G a whole step down so it becomes an F. I found it easier to play my own material this way, you guys should try it out
20.04.2013 - 21:10
Sunioj

Written by Vind on 20.04.2013 at 00:16

I play half-step down but not entirely, I make the G a whole step down so it becomes an F. I found it easier to play my own material this way, you guys should try it out

what is your style of music? interesting tuning.
20.04.2013 - 22:09
Vind
Ascendant
Written by Sunioj on 20.04.2013 at 21:10

Written by Vind on 20.04.2013 at 00:16

what is your style of music? interesting tuning.

Im heavily influenced by bands like Les Discrets, Amesoeurs, Alcest, Novembre and Junius. So the stuff I play I would call Post-black metal with shoegaze influences (Blackgaze as some might call it)
You can get some really ethereal sounds with a clean tone with reverb and some delay, and with distortion, reverb and a little delay you can get some sweet mesmerizing riffs if you tremolo pick some obscure and inverted power-chords.
20.04.2013 - 22:46
Sunioj

Written by Vind on 20.04.2013 at 22:09

Im heavily influenced by bands like Les Discrets, Amesoeurs, Alcest, Novembre and Junius. So the stuff I play I would call Post-black metal with shoegaze influences (Blackgaze as some might call it)
You can get some really ethereal sounds with a clean tone with reverb and some delay, and with distortion, reverb and a little delay you can get some sweet mesmerizing riffs if you tremolo pick some obscure and inverted power-chords.

That's pretty cool, I like those bands haven't heard of Junius or Novembre. I like jamming that kind of stuff with when I'm not shredding my 4 strng. For that I just go for a clean, warm bass signal with a driving sort of sound (like in the first song of the self titled Amesoeurs album) and maybe some short melodic fills when its appropriate.
20.04.2013 - 23:05
Vind
Ascendant
Written by Sunioj on 20.04.2013 at 22:46

Written by Vind on 20.04.2013 at 22:09

That's pretty cool, I like those bands haven't heard of Junius or Novembre. I like jamming that kind of stuff with when I'm not shredding my 4 strng. For that I just go for a clean, warm bass signal with a driving sort of sound (like in the first song of the self titled Amesoeurs album) and maybe some short melodic fills when its appropriate.

Cool dude, if you haven't heard Novembre at all this is their best song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbassAbbN-Y That clean guitar intro is so freaking sweet. Hope you enjoy
14.10.2016 - 20:11
Haddock666

With bands it's usually d or c#. When playing other music/giving guitar lessons standard or much lower depends of the music we're playing at the time.
11.02.2018 - 13:53
LesbianWithAGun

I play guitar, have bunch of guitars...
I've played for many years loving Eb a.k.a D#
That's standard E lowered a semitone.

I use a bunch of tunings and sometimes have a guitar tuned in a guitar tuning that's so far off removed from Eb that... I just go to it...
Standard E, Eb, Dropped D, Dropped C#, Dropped C, Open B, That B tuning that Korn do...

This one, IDK what it's called but it's cool with a capo; I bought my first capo the other week.
D, A, D, G, A, D and then put the capo on the third....
But other than that, capo's are good when the guitar's in E Standard...

Whenever I buy a new guitar, I do tune to Eb though, and have my way with it at first...
Also... If it's got a Floyd Rose Original Tremolo that's floating... Just because don't like fiddling with that... Is pretty much set for me in Eb...
Some guitars I use 11 - 48 gauge strings and some guitars I use 10 - 46.