Metal Storm logo
Weakling

Original post

Posted by tuerda, 11.06.2006 - 10:31
Weakling is one of my favourite black metal bands. They hail from Los Angeles in good old US of A, but their sound is one you would associate more with the Norwegian movement. They are very grim and angry and their songs tend to last well over 10 minutes. Unfortunately, they are almost completely unheard of. I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread about them.
14.03.2009 - 11:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Lucas on 14.03.2009 at 01:23

Erm, about Nachtmystium and Weakling? I dunno, the only Nachtmystium album I really have in my head is Instinct:Decay, and the non-psychedelic stuff sounds a little like Weakling to me. It's been a long time since I've heard that album though. They share a galloping, rough and a liiiiitle bit droney sound, imo.

i asked because what you said sounded strange and it still does tbh.

early Nachtmystium is generic black metal, and the non-psychedelic stuff on Instinct is just like that. don't really remember the Weakling album, so i guess there could be similarities .. but then again there are similarities between a lot of non-traditional black metal bands.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
14.03.2009 - 16:22
Dead as dreams is incredible. such good shit, really atmospheric.
----
Long live Metal
22.09.2009 - 18:39
Krankheit
Account deleted
Not bad at all I'm halfway through the album and I'm impressed.
15.02.2010 - 14:05
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
Those tales about the way "Dead As Dreams" was to be distributed are...ridiculous.
Any hopes of reunion by the way?
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
08.05.2010 - 02:26
The Turbanator
I think they are boring. Just my opinion anyway. I've heard the album about 4 times now and I can't get the hang of it.

And whenever they're linked to Wolves in the Throne Room, it pisses me off. Wolves is way better than Weakling.

But don't kill me now, it's just my opinion.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
15.05.2010 - 18:08
Got Mayhem?
I liked Dead As Dreams a lot. It isn't exactly something I'd listen to daily, but when I do listen to it It's always a good time. I'm not quite sure why it gets such a hard time from some people, but to each their own...
----
26.07.2010 - 02:17
Written by Guest on 12.06.2006 at 23:09

One of the most overlloked BM acts, no doubt about that... I own "Dead As Dreams" and it's scary as hell, makes you feel threatened and unsecure and that's perfect for Black Metal... it has an incredibly cold atmosphere and to complete the cliché this band explores the darkest feelings on music. Great!

Very well said! This album is deeply disturbing and frightening, demanding an active engagement from the listener. There is no catharsis from this music, it only takes you deeper and deeper into claustrophobic insanity. One time while listening to this album I caught myself thinking that if I was ever locked in isolation confinement cell, with nothing but this music being played in the room on speakers, I would yield to madness and commit suicide.
Which speaks to the harrowing power of this music, to cause these kinds of thoughts. Not for the faint of heart, to be sure. An obscure and definite underrated masterpiece.

A year ago, theomegaorder.com had some leftover copies of this album in stock, but I don't know if there are any left.
29.07.2010 - 21:57
obliscence
There is a new black metal/doom project of ex Weakling/Asunder/The Gault guitarist you might want to look into. The band is called

DISPIRIT ( www.dispirit.org )

The web page has samples, but the only thing available at the moment is a demo tape. Pretty dark dismal sounding stuff. A bit of a blend of all three previous bands. You might be able to get a Dead as Dreams cd there as well.
04.08.2010 - 17:53
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by obliscence on 29.07.2010 at 21:57

There is a new black metal/doom project of ex Weakling/Asunder/The Gault guitarist you might want to look into. The band is called

DISPIRIT ( www.dispirit.org )

The web page has samples, but the only thing available at the moment is a demo tape. Pretty dark dismal sounding stuff. A bit of a blend of all three previous bands. You might be able to get a Dead as Dreams cd there as well.

I have to check this.... Weakling, Asunder and The Gault are all among my favourite bands.
04.08.2010 - 23:05
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
J'adore Weakling so getting this demo was pretty much a given... very curious to how it will turn out. Thanks a lot!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.01.2011 - 23:33
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
Goddannit Weakling is just too awesome! NP: Dead As Dreams (the song)... Mind = continuously blown.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.01.2011 - 01:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lurker of Chalice > Weakling.

Just sayin'
26.01.2011 - 01:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Weakling I find immensely overrated tbh. Nothing going on there. There's so much better US stuff out there such as Murnur, Wolves, later Nachtmystium, Lurker, Leviathan, Xasthur
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2011 - 01:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Ludicra and Coblt are also superior btw
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.01.2011 - 16:54
The Turbanator
I agree with everything the 2 guys above me posted, minus the Ludicra part. Can't really find what's so amazing in them. But Cobalt is the fucking bomb. I don't understand why Weakling is so over-rated.

Velnias > Weakling.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
27.01.2011 - 14:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
elite
I can see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah... (doesn't really work online...)
----

20.05.2011 - 13:40
VloRD
Dead as Dreams is so tiring....in a good way Its probably cause it just keeps raping your mind constantly for 75 minutes, that after listening to the album, all you want to do is go to sleep...
----
20.05.2011 - 13:57
The Turbanator
I still find them boring. Want something better? Listen to Velnias' Sovereign Nocturnal album. It's better than Weakling. More atmospheric.
----