Solitude Aeturnus

22.04.2008 - 17:22
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
tell us about band , lyrics , music
your favorites song in this case
Specially tell us about " Is There " song as I must say that is my fav song
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
22.04.2008 - 20:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
awsome band, realy one of best trad doom metal bands i like it and realy like it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.04.2008 - 02:07
Richard
elite
Solitude Aeturnus are certainly a great band. They're one of the few bands where I prefer their more recent stuff to their early releases... albums like 'Adagio' and 'Alone' are actually much better (and, arguably, much 'doomier!') than their first 2 albums, IMO.

Robert Lowe's vocals are some of the best in Doom Metal, IMO. I feel his voice is much more suited to the mid-range than the higher pitched style he used in the early days. His clear, powerful tone suits the sombre atmosphere of the music perfectly, sometimes taking on an ominous melodic chant-like feel, like some sort of Doom Metal Monk!

Also, despite the Doomy feel in many of their songs, there's also plenty of slightly more uptempo moments, and I believe the band themselves don't limit themselves to just being 'a Doom band' - there are also some elements of Power Metal in there - but without the cheesy, overly happy sound which is often associated with Power Metal..

My favourites by them are 'Through The Darkest Hour' and 'Adagio' - the latter of which contains probably my favourite S.A. song, track 4, 'Never'. It's unusually short for a slow-paced Doom Metal song, IIRC it's only a few minutes, yet in that time it creates such a great, bleak atmosphere and also some of the band's best lyrics:

"Living in a pretend world of happiness
My painted face melts as I recede
Into my own reality
Into my hole
The fluid of my existence
Wishing that the pretence would never end
As I soak in rivers opaque
My mind drinks the fluid
It drinks of its thirst"

BTW, we're keeping this thread open for now, but please remember to go into detail with your opinions when creating and posting in threads, everyone.
----
23.04.2008 - 02:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
I first heard Solitude Aeturnus on Dark Passages way back in 1991 where they were featured with Where Angels Dare To Tread which was (if I remember correctly) the version which appeared on the orignal first King Klassice (not Roadrunner) release of Into The Depths Of Sorrow. I have been following this band ever since. Like Richard said, the first two albums aren't as doomy as the later works. The first two I would like to describe as as doomy progressive power metal (but NOT the cheesy kind)

IMO SA released their album with 2006's Alone after a hiatus of quite a few years. And Rob Lowe is one of doom metal's best vocalist's ever IMO (together with Mats Leven and Messiah Marcolin) and it isn't a surprise he is singing in the current incarnation of Candlemass. All the reviews of the first two albums back in the day mentioned the fact of how much Rob sounded (or tried?) to sound like Messiah back then.

Although Downfall is considered by many as their worst I don't really agree with that. Okay the production is weird and thus spoiling the songs at first listen, but upon subsequent listens one will notice tha songs are actually very good.

Solitude Aeturnus are THE ONLY doom band that have never ever released a bad or even mediocre album.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2008 - 03:09
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
This is definitely a band that I need to check out more of. It seems I always put some time into them for a day and then leave it at that. I need to purchase some albums, so I'll look around and listen to what I can, based on the opinions given so far. But anyway, from what I've heard, Rob Lowe's vocals are definitely a highlight of this band.
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.04.2008 - 10:16
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2008 at 02:18

I first heard Solitude Aeturnus on Dark Passages way back in 1991 where they were featured with Where Angels Dare To Tread which was (if I remember correctly) the version which appeared on the orignal first King Klassice (not Roadrunner) release of Into The Depths Of Sorrow. I have been following this band ever since. Like Richard said, the first two albums aren't as doomy as the later works. The first two I would like to describe as as doomy progressive power metal (but NOT the cheesy kind)

IMO SA released their album with 2006's Alone after a hiatus of quite a few years. And Rob Lowe is one of doom metal's best vocalist's ever IMO (together with Mats Leven and Messiah Marcolin) and it isn't a surprise he is singing in the current incarnation of Candlemass. All the reviews of the first two albums back in the day mentioned the fact of how much Rob sounded (or tried?) to sound like Messiah back then.

Although Downfall is considered by many as their worst I don't really agree with that. Okay the production is weird and thus spoiling the songs at first listen, but upon subsequent listens one will notice tha songs are actually very good.

Solitude Aeturnus are THE ONLY doom band that have never ever released a bad or even mediocre album.

Robert lowe is the best vocalist that I heard till now , he is showing true doom metal in this band and I wonder every time that heard his voice

Do you admit their bassist " james martin " ?! this is simple question for discussion about him
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
23.04.2008 - 12:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by ArtiA on 23.04.2008 at 10:16

Robert lowe is the best vocalist that I heard till now , he is showing true doom metal in this band and I wonder every time that heard his voice

Do you admit their bassist " james martin " ?! this is simple question for discussion about him

Although James Martin is a good bass player I prefer either Lyle Steadham or Steve Mosley.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2008 - 13:09
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite

What about Katatonia?
----
24.04.2009 - 14:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Gonna see them live this august, you people have any good songs/albums which they might play live to reccomend me? apart from tomorrow's dead, chapel of burning, seeds of the desolate or 9th day of awakening?
24.04.2009 - 20:35
routa
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 24.04.2009 at 14:19

Gonna see them live this august, you people have any good songs/albums which they might play live to reccomend me? apart from tomorrow's dead, chapel of burning, seeds of the desolate or 9th day of awakening?

Try album "Alone" at least. Pretty epic.
25.04.2009 - 11:12
ForeverDarkWoods
One of the bands that first got me into Traditional Doom, along with Trouble, Electric Wizard, Witchfinder General and Saint Vitus. Beyond The Crimson Horizon is a goddamn masterpiece and nothing else. The only other epic doom band able to compete with them would be Solstice. Each album has a unique and sorrowful, yet epic vibe to it. Pretty much every Solitude Aeturnus release is a must for every doom fan.

Great band. In fact, really really great.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
02.05.2009 - 09:42
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I agree with forever dark woods.

I just got into them and have been listening to them pretty heavily for the last three weeks. They're damn amazing!

I also loved Alone.... Burning is my favorite song by them. Rob Lowe's voice captures everything so damn well with how the notes are written. "Wow" comes to mind.
----
14.12.2009 - 17:14
Stigmatized
Anyone know what's going on with this band currently? With Rob in Candlemass I wonder when another album and possible shows may come around...
28.12.2009 - 06:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned Beyond the Crimson Horizon yet. I heard it for the first time a few days ago and I'm hooked. All I can pay attention to is Rob's voice, who is easily one of the best doom vocalists ever.
09.01.2010 - 06:30
Numbskull
I've been listening to Candlemass for some time now. So, I've been fan of Robe Lowe's vocals for a few years. I had heard a few songs by SA on Pandora radio. This past week a purchased 'Alone' and can't stop spinning it. Now I need to start getting the rest. What would be a good one to get next?
11.01.2010 - 16:27
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Numbskull on 09.01.2010 at 06:30

I've been listening to Candlemass for some time now. So, I've been fan of Robe Lowe's vocals for a few years. I had heard a few songs by SA on Pandora radio. This past week a purchased 'Alone' and can't stop spinning it. Now I need to start getting the rest. What would be a good one to get next?

They're all good, but Adagio is probably the only one you'll want to avoid. I love Beyond the Crimson Horizon and Downfall the most atm.
12.01.2010 - 05:46
Numbskull
Written by Dangerboner on 11.01.2010 at 16:27

Written by Numbskull on 09.01.2010 at 06:30

They're all good, but Adagio is probably the only one you'll want to avoid. I love Beyond the Crimson Horizon and Downfall the most atm.

Just ordered 'Beyond the Crimson Horizon' (on your recommendation) and 'Into the Depths of Sorrow'. If they're anything like 'Alone', they'll kick copious amounts of doomage.
12.01.2010 - 08:05
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Oh, nice. Beyond the Crimson Horizon is much faster than Alone but you should still like it. Also, I believe all of their albums are streaming for free on Last.fm.
22.01.2010 - 01:35
Numbskull
Got both CD's (BtCH and ItDoS). Both are awesome.
17.07.2016 - 10:19
Maco
Pvt Funderground
So I just finished my third Solitude Aeturnus marathon. And I have to say... They rule, so motherfucking hard.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.07.2016 - 13:33
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Great Band, though nothing they have done can touch the epicness of the first four Candlemass albums. They are pretty much unsurpassed.
21.07.2016 - 21:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.07.2016 at 13:33

Great Band, though nothing they have done can touch the epicness of the first four Candlemass albums. They are pretty much unsurpassed.

I'd probably tip 'Beyond The Crimson Horizon' (and probably a few other albums of theirs) ahead of 'Ancient Dreams' which is just too cheesy for me these days.