05. Jesus Saves
06. Criminally Insane
07. Reborn
08. Epidemic
09. Postmortem
10. Raining Blood
11. Aggressive Perfector [1998 re-release bonus]
12. Criminally Insane [remix version] [1998 re-release bonus]

For more than a decade, Slayer has proudly fused thrash and speed metal into loud, offering doomish dirges, voraciously boisterous and blasphemous songs groaning over lyrics that depict madness, suicide and murder in excess, a style which should definetly suit a ten-year-old metalhead. On October 7, 1986, Slayer released what was to become their masterpiece, "Reign In Blood". An album discribed by Kerrang! Magazine as "the heaviest album of all time" and peaked at number 22 on Metal Storm's "top 100 albums of all time" survey, a position that only "the crème de la crème" bands could get. Believe me, reviewing a very popular album from a very popular band isn't easy at all, but sometimes justice must be done.

"Reign In Blood" could be summed up in four simple words, strenuous, volatile, asymmetrical and brutal...maybe too brutal. At first I was completely blown away by its amazing structural proficiency, I couldn't get over it. Fortunately, there was a day when I realized that except Metallica, even a band from "the big four" could suck. The answer is pretty clear now, this is a notoriously inconsistent effort.

The journey commences with "Angel Of Death", an impressive opener , built around ultra-fast repetitive thrash riffs followed by... well, rigourous barks and high-pitched growls of Tom Araya, but that's vocally speaking, sure there's nothing inherently bad with it. However, even the most ardent fans of Slayer will admit that the one-dimentional vocals of Mr Araya are probably the thing that should be removed from Reign In Blood. In case you haven't noticed it yet, the singer tries his best to mix things up without resorting to clean vocals, and I don't blame him for that, at least he screams like a man not like Dave Mustaine. Songs like "Raining Blood" and "Angel Of Death" are the album's highlights, despite being too uniformed for some to stomach, they are quite catchy with their crushing guitar riffs and the furiously thunderous drumming. However, in its entirety, the album is not as consistently memorable as "South Of Heaven", but let's make it clear, I've never been a fan of Slayer and if they're going to stick on "Christ Illusion meets Reign In blood" style I won't be, but to be fair, there was a time when I liked Slayer pretty much, I liked Reign In Blood though but not anymore, these guys don't deserve to be a part of "the big four" neither does Megadeth.

In the end of the day, Slayer will always have an audience because their discography is worth picking up, but when it comes to this album here's my advice, listen to it for one year or maybe two and then throw it away. Folks, I give you "the most overrated album of all time"... Reign In Blood.

Written by Mindheist | 14.08.2008

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Edible Autopsy
Rating:
The greatest metal record of all time. This topic is often debated upon in the Metal Kingdom and to most there is no definite answer. A worthy contender for this title is Slayer's 1986 masterpiece, Reign In Blood. Few albums withstand the test of time as well and even fewer have had such a huge impact on the metal world as this one.

Read more ››
published 24.09.2003 | Comments (66)

Guest review by
Stuart
Rating:
Where does one begin reviewing an album with as much hype and influence as this? An album branded as revolutionary and with such a fanatical following. It is always going to be a difficult task, so I ask that for a moment we forget the hype surrounding this album and we look at the musical value it holds.

Reign in Blood was in many ways a brave new world for Slayer. It had a completely different sound to anything before it; they abandoned all the pretentiousness of the long, drawn out, complex song structures they had experimented with on Haunting the Chapel and Hell Awaits. In this, it was far more accessible, yet they didn't sacrifice any of their integrity or alienate any of their core fan base. Their intention was quite clear, that this was to be the fastest, heaviest, angriest music ever to be unleashed on human ears.

Read more ››
published 04.04.2008 | Comments (18)

Comments

Comments: 207   Visited by: 689 users
18.08.2008 - 02:39
Rating: 10
pdepmcp

wow.
blasphemy, that's the right word.
ok you're quite young and maybe that's the point. this record is 22 years old (older than you...).

if you compare it now with newer stuff it may seem lacking in originality...just because this IS the origin!

and yes:production 22 years ago was worse than now, either for instruments and for vocals.
"even the most ardent fans of Slayer will admit that the one-dimentional vocals of Mr Araya are probably the thing that should be removed from Reign In Blood" is simply false! Araya voice is a great trademark and at that time it was somehow original too.

almost all songs on reign in blood are classics...well maybe Reborn is not and I can't recall Epidemic, but this record has at least 6 highlight that are, up to now, some of the most inspired extreme material ever written.

If you have thown it away be kind to yourself: go in a shop and buy it again...you won't be disappointed
18.08.2008 - 03:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I really laughed my head off when reading this review.
Okay, everybody is of course entitled to their own opinion.
But dismissing this as something not worthwhile is just laughable. Clearly this is written by someone who has no bleeding idea what sort of impact this album had at the time, or eve still has to this day. Not a single thrash album has ever come clos in sheer ferocity and pure unrelented thrashness.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2008 - 04:22
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
BIAS
18.08.2008 - 05:32
Rating: 9
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Dangerboner on 18.08.2008 at 04:22

BIAS

for real thought. 4.5? what?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.08.2008 - 07:37
amerislave
Account deleted
"these guys don't deserve to be a part of "the big four" neither does Megadeth."

i feel pretty good about my taste after reading this that my favorites of the big 4 are megadeth and slayer.
18.08.2008 - 09:24
thesabbathfan

....hm?

....What?

WHAT?

WWWWHHHHAAAAAT???!??!?!

BLASPHEMY!

reign in blood |m/
----
18.08.2008 - 18:23
Sunioj

Araya's one dimensional vocals, wtf? He's probably at his prime on this album... And I reaallllly don't think South of Heaven is more memorable than this, but oh well, I don't really have that much more to add since I agree with most of the comments here. I just find it weird considering the reviewers viewpoint towards Slayer's discography and this album.
18.08.2008 - 18:27
MathC
Account deleted
Slayer has always been overrated and pretty much boring overall, but that review is just retarded.
18.08.2008 - 18:39
Rating: 8
Elio
Red Nightmare
O.O lol
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.08.2008 - 19:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 18.08.2008 at 18:27

Slayer has always been overrated and pretty much boring overall, but that review is just retarded.

Half agree.
I like Slayer and there's a lot of reasons to why we can concider Slayer a great band. But yeah, some albums are indeed overrated or is just a matter of tastes.

The problem beggings when some kids go around the town and say: Hey, I got the most br00tal shit ever.. I'm tr00!".. Those guys are what makes bands like this ones look bad & overrated IMO.
For me Reign in Blood isn't the best album... I prefer Hell Awaits.

And about the reviw... I lol'd.
It's not necessary to put a stupid review about an album [specially albums like this one] just because you're in your period and got a bad day... :
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.08.2008 - 19:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
"However, even the most ardent fans of Slayer will admit that the one-dimentional vocals of Mr Araya are probably the thing that should be removed from Reign In Blood."

Obviously he just wanna make us mad.
----
18.08.2008 - 20:06
Richard

Well, if this was the only Reign In Blood review on Metal Storm, then it wouldn't accurately reflect the opinion of most of its users. However, we already have two very positive reviews of Reign In Blood on Metal Storm, so actually I think it's good to have a negative review of it as well, particularly since it's considered such a 'classic'. An individual shouldn't pretend that they love a certain band or album just because of the majority's opinion!
----
18.08.2008 - 20:45
MathC
Account deleted
Written by Richard on 18.08.2008 at 20:06

An individual shouldn't pretend that they love a certain band or album just because of the majority's opinion!

Not liking is fine.
Dismissing influencial impact and such is not.
Well, not in a review.
18.08.2008 - 21:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
everyone is entitled to their own opinion - even if it is a dissenting one.

that said, i cannot fathom how someone would score this album a 4.5, though.

"these guys don't deserve to be a part of "the big four" neither does Megadeth."

wait, another young 'un trying retroactively to re-write history based upon their opinion?

take a drink.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
18.08.2008 - 21:44
Deadsoulman

I don't know where that trend to suddenly find every old influential defining albums/bands overrated comes from, but it is very boring.
That put aside, I can understand someone not liking this album, but this review is just a bit over the top. An amusing read though
19.08.2008 - 06:39
Demonmayonnaise

Im pretty young, younger than the guy who wrote the review, but I still appreciate RIB. I wasnt around for its release, so Im not sure what kind of impact it had when it was first released, but I listened to it the first time, and was blown away. Sure there are bands heavier now, but back then, Im sure not very many bands could compete with Slayer.
20.08.2008 - 14:40
Rating: 7
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
4.5... I don't know about that. You may not like the songwriting, but the production of this album is just amazing. It's probably one of the best-produced albums ever. And the MSv3 rating would be appreciated too.

By the way, I really hate mistakes in writing, so I you care enough:
  • "an 10-year-old" should be a ten-year-old.
  • "they are quiet catchy" in the middle of the second paragraph should be quite catchy (quiet means "silent")
  • ----
    Savor what you feel and what you see
    Things that may not seem important now
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
    20.08.2008 - 14:59
    Lucas
    Mr. Noise
    I'll hop on the wagon here and say that this review wasn't worth the time it cost reading. Re-examining the old classics to see if they are really worth the raving they get: great initiative, my respect.

But if you're going to trash a classic, you need a truckload of arguments, not two or three.

Another thing, you bash Megadeth twice for no reason. In a Slayer review?

And one last thing: your review and rating do not match. If you ask me, you should rate it around a 6.5 (from what you wrote). You probably did this just to shock.
    ----
    SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
    20.08.2008 - 15:47
    SlaytallicA
    Lycanthropy
    4.5?? This one make me laugh! It's the same to say that RiB is worst than St. Anger!
    ----
    One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
    21.08.2008 - 02:48
    Mindheist
    No Longer Human
    Written by K✞ulu on 20.08.2008 at 14:40

4.5... I don't know about that. You may not like the songwriting, but the production of this album is just amazing. It's probably one of the best-produced albums ever. And the MSv3 rating would be appreciated too.

• "they are quiet catchy" in the middle of the second paragraph should be quite catchy (quiet means "silent")

• Hmmm...Let's begin to say that mistakes are a part of being human and there's nothing to feel ashamed about. Now, know that this review took me 4 hours and I couldn't proofread it myself because I had some stuff to do, my fault, I confess, and I promise you won't see them again...But thanks anyway. Between us, they're not really mistakes, lack of attention that's all ...You wrote "I you care enough", .
    21.08.2008 - 10:27
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Written by Mindheist on 21.08.2008 at 02:48

• Hmmm...Let's begin to say that mistakes are a part of being human and there's nothing to feel ashamed about. Now, know that this review took me 4 hours and I couldn't proofread it myself because I had some stuff to do, my fault, I confess, and I promise you won't see them again...But thanks anyway. Between us, they're not really mistakes, lack of attention that's all ...You wrote "I you care enough", .

Actually that's as much your fault as it is the fault of the person who proofread your review. Anyway, I pointed those mistakes out just for the sake of pointing them out, so that they may be corrected (although it's hard to do if you are not a staff member).

My rule for writing reviews is never to hurry. I always read through my reviews many times before submitting them. Anyway, you are welcome

And yeah, I had a typo in that sentence... I am a human being after all, right?
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

21.08.2008 - 11:02
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Written by K✞ulu on 21.08.2008 at 10:27

Actually that's as much your fault as it is the fault of the person who proofread your review. ...

Actually that was my mistake, missing "quiet/quite" a mistake I myself hate
    Concerning 10-year-old/ten-year-old, I don't know where you got the idea from that 10-year-old is wrong. Yes, it is not allowed in official documents and other forms of formal writing. But this is a review and reviews are informal. Even something such as "dunno" is allowed in such a text. Call it poetic freedom or whatever.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2008 - 11:09
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2008 at 11:02

Actually that's as much your fault as it is the fault of the person who proofread your review. ...

Concerning 10-year-old/ten-year-old, I don't know where you got the idea from that 10-year-old is wrong. Yes, it is not allowed in official documents and other forms of formal writing. But this is a review and reviews are informal. Even something such as "dunno" is allowed in such a text. Call it poetic freedom or whatever.

Nonono. That was not a mistake, the mistake was in AN 10-year-old instead of A 10-year-old
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

21.08.2008 - 11:17
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Written by K✞ulu on 21.08.2008 at 11:09

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2008 at 11:02

Nonono. That was not a mistake, the mistake was in AN 10-year-old instead of A 10-year-old

Oh my fucking God, I REALLY do need new glasses
    Well, what can I say? Mea culpa.
    I think the contents of the review must have put me off...
    Thank god there weren't any "their/there" or "should have/should of" mistakes I missed.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2008 - 11:27
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2008 at 11:17

Thank god there weren't any "their/there" or "should have/should of" mistakes I missed.

Yeah, those are irritating mistakes. Hate them.
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

21.08.2008 - 11:34
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    Written by K✞ulu on 21.08.2008 at 11:27

A bit more off-topicness. I actually think that a lot of people think that "should of" is actually right.
    The only reason I can think of that that mistake has come to be is that people HEAR someone say "should've" which more or less sounds like "should of"
    The weird thing about that mistake is that is more common amongst Americans/Brits than amongst other people.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2008 - 11:47
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2008 at 11:34

A bit more off-topicness. I actually think that a lot of people think that "should of" is actually right.
    The only reason I can think of that that mistake has come to be is that people HEAR someone say "should've" which more or less sounds like "should of"
    The weird thing about that mistake is that is more common amongst Americans/Brits than amongst other people.

That's 'cause when you study English as a foreign language it will never come to your mind that "should've" sounds like "should of." But for native speakers they do. That's why they have "thru" instead of "through" and what not.

We are really going off topic though
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

21.08.2008 - 18:55
    totaliteraliter

While I always enjoy people attempting to tear down classics, it helps if you have something interesting to say. Too much "I don't like aspect x of the album" and not enough "why". You really can't raise any interesting points in a little blurb like that if you spend all the time raising points without following them up (not to mention 25% of it is a fluffy intro that doesn't add much). Pretty mediocre.
    24.08.2008 - 22:59
    Doc G.
    Full Grown Hoser
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.08.2008 at 11:34

Nah, I think the most atrocious one I've seen is the double contraction of "shouldntve" as in should not have. Anyways, back to the review. I'll admit I'm the biggest Slayer fan, and I might even go as far as saying this album is a tad bit overrated, but far from 4.5 worthy. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not everyone should be entitled to a published review if they didn't even really explain that opinion. Judging by this review it seems to me this guy just overplayed the album, everyone has an album like that, where they listen to it so much eventually it makes you ill in the stomach to listen to it again, but after a few months break from it you can usually find enjoyment in it again. Give him a few months I bet he'll like it again.
    ----
    "I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
    - George Carlin
    25.08.2008 - 18:07
    Søren
    Lord of the Mosh
    I have to say I think this review RULES!

Except it clearly belongs under "Funny Stuff" and not with the legitimate reviews.

Hits total: 17537 | This month: 52