Metal Storm logo
The Melvins

26.06.2006 - 18:12
Deucehound
Account deleted
The Melvins are a mixed genre band of Stoner, Grunge, Hardcore Punk that hail from Washington. I've just started getting into them again, after hearing Honey Bucket a few years ago. Its hard finding any news on them, and there website is really out there. I'd like to see if there is anyone out there that knows this band, knows were to get info like tour dates from. Whats your favorite album or albums? This is just a general discussion of the band.
27.06.2006 - 06:12
Alfonso
HEAVY fucking band. www.themelvins.net is an unofficial site that's pretty much the main source of news, as well as their label's site Ipecac. My favorite album has got to be "Stag".
----
27.06.2006 - 14:45
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
They were never afraid to experiment and never stagnated... Awesome, criminally overlooked band!
28.06.2006 - 06:36
Alfonso
Actually, come to think of it I haven't really been into the albums they released after the Maggot/Crybaby trilogy... some great songs here and there, but as varied as the output has been most of it hasn't quite clicked in all of its diversity as much as albums like Stag, the aforementioned Crybaby or even Prick did with me. Ah well.
----
03.07.2006 - 07:52
samael06
Account deleted
I kinda lean towards Ozma. But, that's probably because it's the first Melvins release that I heard. Although Houdini ain't bad. But with a band that experiments as much as they do, how can you pick just one. In fact, right now I am listening to the King Buzzo CD.
03.07.2006 - 08:03
samael06
Account deleted
Oh!!! BTW, has anyone heard their recordings with Jello Biafra (Never Breathe What You Can't See and Sieg Howdy!). Now those were some cool recordings. Hope they continue the collaboration.
19.07.2006 - 09:15
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
This band is some really fucking heavy stuff. Always refreshing to hear them, seems that they are always on top and always know exactly what they are doing where they're going as they are changing constantly. I consider King Buzzo to be one of the best vocalists and frontman in the "alternative" genre.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
20.07.2006 - 00:54
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.07.2006 at 08:03

Oh!!! BTW, has anyone heard their recordings with Jello Biafra (Never Breathe What You Can't See and Sieg Howdy!). Now those were some cool recordings. Hope they continue the collaboration.

yeah,I Have...good stuff...i'm actually listening to Yuppie Cadillac right now,...Kinga buzzo and Co. actually has another side project with Shane Embury from Napalm Death
10.08.2006 - 01:25
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I have their whole discography, and especially bow to Lysol... fucking extraordinary Drone song/album
20.08.2006 - 04:13
YHP++ oh no
Account deleted
'Houdini' is my fav album by them and maybe the best to start getting into this band. Or 'Stoner Witch' maybe... Stag is a wonderful album too.

If you have never heard of them and you like bands such as Isis, Nirvana, Mastodon, Black Sabbath, Kyuss, Queens of the stone age, Sonic Youth, Sunn O))), Fantomas, etc, you have to listen to their music.

I really liked the tribute album to the melvins that was released last year.
It's called "We Reach: The Music Of The Melvins" and features the following bands: Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Isis, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Dog Fashion Disco, Pig Destroyer, High On Fire, Keelhaul, CKY, and more. A vary nice album.
Especially "Mastodon - The Bit" is a breathtaking cover song.

Some of their albums are quite experimental and that shows that they are a band who dares to do different stuff and doesn't play the same grunge/stoner//rock/metal/anything music all the time. That's great and rare for bands that exist nowadays.

Songs you could listen to get an idea..: The Bit, Honey Bucket, Easy As It Was, Set Me Straight, June Bug, Queen, Captain Pungent, Skin Horse.
(these are mostly NOT from the experimental side of the band.)

(...Buzz Osborne rocks.)
20.08.2006 - 09:33
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.08.2006 at 04:13

'Houdini' is my fav album by them and maybe the best to start getting into this band. Or 'Stoner Witch' maybe... Stag is a wonderful album too.

If you have never heard of them and you like bands such as Isis, Nirvana, Mastodon, Black Sabbath, Kyuss, Queens of the stone age, Sonic Youth, Sunn O))), Fantomas, etc, you have to listen to their music.

I really liked the tribute album to the melvins that was released last year.
It's called "We Reach: The Music Of The Melvins" and features the following bands: Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Isis, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Dog Fashion Disco, Pig Destroyer, High On Fire, Keelhaul, CKY, and more. A vary nice album.
Especially "Mastodon - The Bit" is a breathtaking cover song.

Some of their albums are quite experimental and that shows that they are a band who dares to do different stuff and doesn't play the same grunge/stoner//rock/metal/anything music all the time. That's great and rare for bands that exist nowadays.

Songs you could listen to get an idea..: The Bit, Honey Bucket, Easy As It Was, Set Me Straight, June Bug, Queen, Captain Pungent, Skin Horse.
(these are mostly NOT from the experimental side of the band.)

(...Buzz Osborne rocks.)

the tribute was fairly decent...even though i'm not big on tribute albums..DEP covering Honey Bucket and Pig Destroyer covering Claude have to be the highlights...and i also dug Eyehategod's and Isis's covers....anyways i'd say "gluey Porch Treatments","Ozma"....or even The Maggot are good places to start as well...but those albums are kind of harder to find...so i'll agree with you on newbys obtaining houdini or "stonerwitch" seeing how mostly every music store carries those two...btw...if any of you ever come across a used copy of "electroretard"....it would be wise to buy it,seeing how its out of print and contains better versions of "revolve" and "lovely Butterflies"
10.09.2006 - 01:05
CianideDeath
Account deleted
Everything of their's is great, I especially like thier doom/drone stuff.
10.09.2006 - 03:28
Jesus_Puncher
Account deleted
i d/led the new album that comes out in October...badass...its a hybrid of Houdini,Gluey Porch,Stoner Witch,
14.09.2006 - 01:19
CianideDeath
Account deleted
I dont mind thier collaborative stuff either. My favourite is with lustmord, great stuff and the Jello Biafra stuff is great also
05.03.2008 - 10:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I saw tham live(in TV ) it was good show and I realy liked what thay play it was weird music but I like it
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.04.2008 - 17:55
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Nude With Boots is once again a great album... the band doesn't seem to be much craving for new musical paths anymore, but Melvins remain the best in what they make.
20.04.2008 - 18:08
Hamird
Lieutenant
i've just listened to Crying Baby. that was good, but not favorite.
20.04.2008 - 21:32
Southern Wind
Account deleted
You probably mean "The Crybaby", whcih can't be properly considered an album, and I can't think of a worse way to start with this band (besides Prick).
10.05.2008 - 14:41
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.04.2008 at 17:55

Nude With Boots is once again a great album... the band doesn't seem to be much craving for new musical paths anymore, but Melvins remain the best in what they make.

I agree,the melvins have done everything,i think they don't have anything else to prove.so if they want to make more simpler albums like gluey porch treatment or houdini.all the power to them.

haven't heard the *new album* yet,but if its anything like "(A) senile animal",then i'll be happy.Making Coady and Jared from Big Business apart of the Melvins was the best decision Buzz ever made.
11.05.2008 - 07:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The Melvins are a fucking cool band, one of the best to come from my area. With as much personality they have in their music, it's really hard to not like them.
12.05.2008 - 23:48
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 11.05.2008 at 07:41

The Melvins are a fucking cool band, one of the best to come from my area. With as much personality they have in their music, it's really hard to not like them.

you're from seattle?,nice,i almost moved there last year.

i love my coffee,flannel, and rain
21.11.2010 - 19:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
So far I'm truly enjoying traveling through their discography.. =)

Not enought yet thou, but Melvins early albums sound like the step Neurosis skip between The World As Law and Souls At Zero... perfect is perfect.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
25.11.2010 - 12:41
JD
Account deleted
Well Melvins did many experimental stuff some of them were shitty and some were brilliant, since i'm a Grunge fan i like their "more grungy albums" and my favorite is "Houdini", and my favorite song got to be "Going Blind"
06.01.2011 - 03:47
ferm
Googles

It don't matter how much they change on each album. Melvins are like made to change I think and they still rule.
18.11.2011 - 10:57
drumwitch
"Stag"!

Very original and heavy <3
----
I'm safe and warm
This cold, cruel world around me
Can't do me harm
Now life is endless pleasure.
18.11.2011 - 18:45
baldur
Written by drumwitch on 18.11.2011 at 10:57