Metal Storm logo
Over The Rainbow - Rainbow Reunion With Ritchie Blackmore's Son In The Makes

Blabberemouth reports the following news: former Rainbow musicians Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Carey, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith have united with a second-generation Blackmore to form Over The Rainbow.

Over The Rainbow is:

Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow 1980-1984) - Vocals
Tony Carey (Rainbow 1975-1978) - Keyboards
Bobby Rondinelli (Rainbow 1980-1983) - Drums
Greg Smith (Rainbow 1994-1997) - Bass
Jürgen "J.R." Blackmore - Guitar

Carey, who has produced several artists (including Joe Cocker and David Knopfler) since his Rainbow days, says, "Having done everything from country to opera, I thought it would be fun to play some rock again without the burden of singing everything."

Rondinelli adds, "Over The Rainbow reunites members of one of the most distinctive sounding bands of all time and introduces a hidden treasure to the world in J.R. Blackmore."

The son of the iconic Rainbow founder/guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, Jürgen Blackmore is a critically acclaimed guitarist in his own right and agreed to join this endeavor after realizing how intense the demand was for a Rainbow "reunion." Over The Rainbow marks the first time that four members from three different eras of Rainbow will take the stage together along with J.R. Blackmore.

Rainbow has spawned over 20 albums (five gold, four silver), seven Billboard Hot 100 and Mainstream Rock tracks, six Top 75 UK songs and at least seven MTV frequently played videos. Their longest tenure was from its inception through 1984 when it went on hiatus so Blackmore could reform Deep Purple. A decade later, Rainbow toured and recorded an album. Since then, Ritchie Blackmore has turned his focus toward Blackmore's Night.

Since 1998, former members of Rainbow and their respective management offices have been bombarded with requests for Rainbow to reunite. Carey, Rondinelli, Smith and Turner answered "the call" but agreed that the only legitimate way that this could be accomplished was with a Blackmore on guitar. Enter: J.R. Blackmore.

How does the younger Blackmore feel about sharing the stage with musicians he grew up watching perform in concert with his legendary father? "I have not worked with them," says Blackmore, "But I have admired them since I was young. That makes them like brothers."

Greg Smith agrees that the market for Rainbow's brand of rock is under served. "I know there is a big demand for this music," he says. "The fact that all members are ex-Rainbow from different periods in the band's history will give the music the integrity it deserves. A Blackmore on guitar will give it even more authenticity."

While Joe Lynn Turner has fond memories of collaborating with and great respect for Ritchie Blackmore, he's looking forward to working with his son. He states, "J.R. is the only logical choice for the guitar slot for Over The Rainbow. I have followed some of his projects over the years now. He's very talented."

Over The Rainbow will begin touring in Russia during February of 2009.

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Rainbow
Posted: 18.11.2008 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   Visited by: 107 users
18.11.2008 - 11:16
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Mmm i want Blackmore Sr.'s opinion on this matter.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
18.11.2008 - 11:49
Baz Anderson

Well this is interesting. Maybe this is how things will be in years to come - band's children continuing on their own bands.
18.11.2008 - 11:56
Promonex
Cathemeral
At least they didn't just call it Rainbow.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
18.11.2008 - 12:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its imntersting but I love only rainbow whit Dio on vocals, firts 3 albums, one of early epic metal albums, lil mysticism, lil elfs and Rainbow, after Dio left Rainbow was cheasya nd comercised iMO, and I never liked Joe Lynn Turner on vocals there, but Im looking forvared hear this band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.11.2008 - 12:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Promonex on 18.11.2008 at 11:56

At least they didn't just call it Rainbow.

Thank god. I still don't like the fact that they are trying to pass this off as anything related to Rainbow, considering Blackmore Sr. IS Rainbow.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.11.2008 - 12:58
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
"A Blackmore on guitar will give it even more authenticity."
I scoffed at this at first but then I looked up some clips of his playing and must admit the apple hasn't fallen far...
18.11.2008 - 13:27
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Man, for like 3 seconds i was like "FUCK YEAH", then i saw the line-up lol. i do understand Dio's a bit too old for this thing, but at least Ritchie could grace us one last time with his badass riffs and solo's, instead of playing those damn medieval tunes.
18.11.2008 - 17:33
Elio
Red Nightmare
Well, let's see what happens!
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
18.11.2008 - 18:28
Scottgun

Good to see RB's son picking this up now that Ritchie seems to be lost in a fascination with Renaissance-fair music.
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
18.11.2008 - 18:51
Jonnz of Steel

This will be interesting, not heard this young Blackmore before..
18.11.2008 - 18:59
Charly546

Well they have potential to be awesome and they could suck too. I love Rainbow's first three and worship them regularly (and all live albums from that era as well), but with this line up, I'll stick and wait.
18.11.2008 - 19:31
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Wish they would have gotten Doogie White for vocals instead.
18.11.2008 - 21:45
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Mmm this is needless, just as Zeppelin's reunion.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
18.11.2008 - 23:49
Symmachus

Well, I don't know how this is going to go. I'm uncertain about this idea.
19.11.2008 - 00:57
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Scottgun on 18.11.2008 at 18:28

Good to see RB's son picking this up now that Ritchie seems to be lost in a fascination with Renaissance-fair music.

Renaissance-fair music > Rainbows, the color Purple
20.11.2008 - 01:01
BrightNight

Sounds intressting. We should give it a try at least!
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
15.07.2009 - 23:44
Vyper
Account deleted
I saw this show in ocean city, nj. Amazing. Didn't miss a beat.

Hits total: 16203 | This month: 6