Metal Storm logo
"Heavy" Power Metal

23.11.2008 - 08:33
thesabbathfan

I'm craving power metal... like, heavy power metal. Not heavy power metal like a band such as manowar (cross between heavy-power), I mean a band that is still straightup power metal but still REALLY heavy.

anybody know any bands? and yes I already know about nevermore but I cant find any seeded torrents D:
----
23.11.2008 - 14:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=2655

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=6868

Hevay power metal, IMO it dont exist because power metal are cheey , and heavy metal are heavy , and early power metal wa smore HM sound and speed metal (like early Blind Guardian) IMO so called ''power'' metal if we talk about Running Wild, Grave Digger, rage, MP, Avanger, and such type bands are uncorect, its HM, so NWOBHM, HM, wahatever from 80's who player HM belongs here
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.11.2008 - 15:37
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hammerfall and Primal Fear fit your description pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-HZ_u1zfC8
23.11.2008 - 15:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sometimes I think people has some mental problesm accept Heavy metal and thayw ant describe heavy metal like power, and then listening, poeple cvan simple say HM, thay need PM, and thats IMO pbig problem nowdays

Valentin - Hammerfall, Cans and Primal Fear yes its truth thay realy are heavy
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2008 - 16:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 23.11.2008 at 15:49

Sometimes I think people has some mental problesm accept Heavy metal and thayw ant describe heavy metal like power, and then listening, poeple cvan simple say HM, thay need PM, and thats IMO pbig problem nowdays

Valentin B is RIGHT Hammerfall and Primal Fear ARE POWER metal. Not of the flowery type but a darker heavier type. Just like US power metal is also power metal but totally different to most of the European.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.11.2008 - 18:06
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Maybe you could also look into some "Extreme" power metal bands, such as Three Inches of Blood, Wintersun, or Children of Bodom.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
23.11.2008 - 19:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.11.2008 at 16:52

Written by Bad English on 23.11.2008 at 15:49

Valentin B is RIGHT Hammerfall and Primal Fear ARE POWER metal. Not of the flowery type but a darker heavier type. Just like US power metal is also power metal but totally different to most of the European.

I didnt talk about those bands but early 80's and other type bands what nowdays some try say its power like Iron Maiden and saxon for example
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2008 - 22:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Also you might wanna try Iced Earth, they're kind of like a really heavy, dark power metal thing on Night Of The Stormrider
23.11.2008 - 22:18
Hrothdane

If you are looking for heavy power metal, definitely check out Tarot, Sabaton, and Firewind. You might also like Symphony X's album Paradise Lost.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/band.php?band_id=1362&bandname=Sabaton

http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/band.php?band_id=242&bandname=Tarot

http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/band.php?band_id=416&bandname=Firewind

http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/album.php?album_id=16424

I'm always wading through the seemingly endless sea of power metal trying to find the best bands, so feel free to ask anytime.
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
23.11.2008 - 23:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hrothdane on 23.11.2008 at 22:18

Sabbaton yes but Tarot its total Hevay metal, or 80's power, because listen that band 80's album and you will see, there nothing from PM, ok keyboards, but keyboards sound and guitar is not typical power metal
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2008 - 23:20
Hrothdane

Written by Bad English on 23.11.2008 at 23:17

Written by Hrothdane on 23.11.2008 at 22:18

Sabbaton yes but Tarot its total Hevay metal, or 80's power, because listen that band 80's album and you will see, there nothing from PM, ok keyboards, but keyboards sound and guitar is not typical power metal

Their first few albums are heavy metal definitely, but their later albums (especially the last 2) sound much more like US power to me.
----

23.11.2008 - 23:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
About last albums I can agree even I dont know those so good likie old once, but this situation is ok not like Stratovarius ''Fight Night'' a;bum, but simmilar, even for me Tarot be heavy metal, because 2 albums is not enought for beeing power
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2008 - 23:27
Hrothdane

Written by Bad English on 23.11.2008 at 23:22

About last albums I can agree even I dont know those so good likie old once, but this situation is ok not like Stratovarius ''Fight Night'' a;bum, but simmilar, even for me Tarot be heavy metal, because 2 albums is not enought for beeing power

Regardless of genre discussion, the point of this thread is to find bands that play heavier power metal or something related to it that thesabbathfan may like, and I think they fit the bill.
----

23.11.2008 - 23:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I know idea, about it I know one band Black Abyss from germany thay play realy ehavy and dark power metal, lyricaly , but hevay power metal, its hard tell border between HM and H/PM
Seems Iced Earth(power/thrsh), Hammerfall, Primal fear, Sabbaton, new Rage(Germany), Manowar, Black Abyss, old Stratovarius ''Fight Night '' its all what I can image, but there more some can be found in vibrationsofdoom but momo quality sound unfortunatly. Alos Savatage can be(I say its heavy M) same John Oliva's Pain, Demons n Wizards , Helstar, Crimson Glory, Grim Ripper and so on

Alos those

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=2655

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=6868

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=210

http://www.metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=368
----

apos;'
[image]
23.11.2008 - 23:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Tarot fits the bill perfectly for what thesabbathfan is looking.
The last TWO are heavy power so should be named here. Even their older albums are power metal imo.

So stop posting luicrous posts, K7, if you have nothing to add or don't know what you're talking about, which is apparently the case here, then DON'T post. But then again you post everywhere (most of it spam, yes) just for the sake of posting and having a high postcount.
I don't care if Tarot is so-called heavy metal for you, their last two albums are perfect for this question by the original poster. I don't care if they were new wave or r 'n' b before that cause they play the sort of music thesabbathfan is looking for NOW.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.11.2008 - 00:18
Gigginova
Account deleted
Off the top of my head I can recommend for you:

HammerFall
Gamma Ray
Cans
Iced Earth
Demons And Wizards
Kamelot
Primal Fear
Helstar
Wizard
24.11.2008 - 00:20
thesabbathfan

Written by Arian Totalis on 23.11.2008 at 18:06

Maybe you could also look into some "Extreme" power metal bands, such as Three Inches of Blood, Wintersun, or Children of Bodom.

Yeah I know those bands already, but none of those other than 3IOB are what I'm really talking about.

Anyways, thx for the suggestions, hammerfall and primal fear are great!
----
25.11.2008 - 16:57
Charly546

Jag Panzer "Ample Destruction". This is the real power metal - lurking somewhere between thrash, heavy and speed with some serious voltage (U>=90000MV). Some similarities to heavier NWOBHM acts such as Blitzkrieg and to some first-wave thrash like Overkill.

Griffin "Flight of the Griffin". Somewhat similar to the Jag Panzer, only far more thrashy with some very well placed thrash breaks, screaming solos and epic moments (title track).

Attacker "Battle of the Helms Deep" and "The Second Coming". Especially the last one, because the first is lacking in some aspects (vocals mainly, but it's still good, if you enjoy the second one, get the first one as well). Again power metal which lurks in between speed, heavy and thrash. but is quite different from most 80's acts.

And if the last three weren't heavy enough, here's something to compensate for that Tyrant's "Legions of the Dead" and "Too Late to Pray". This time they're not anywhere near speed or thrash, but it's heavy metal with that little extra to wander to power metal's territory. Heavier than a 10ˇ78kg anvil, more epic than a battle of the millions, especially the second album.
25.11.2008 - 19:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Charly546 on 25.11.2008 at 16:57

Jag Panzer "Ample Destruction". This is the real power metal - lurking somewhere between thrash, heavy and speed with some serious voltage (U>=90000MV). Some similarities to heavier NWOBHM acts such as Blitzkrieg and to some first-wave thrash like Overkill.

Griffin "Flight of the Griffin". Somewhat similar to the Jag Panzer, only far more thrashy with some very well placed thrash breaks, screaming solos and epic moments (title track).

Attacker "Battle of the Helms Deep" and "The Second Coming". Especially the last one, because the first is lacking in some aspects (vocals mainly, but it's still good, if you enjoy the second one, get the first one as well). Again power metal which lurks in between speed, heavy and thrash. but is quite different from most 80's acts.

And if the last three weren't heavy enough, here's something to compensate for that Tyrant's "Legions of the Dead" and "Too Late to Pray". This time they're not anywhere near speed or thrash, but it's heavy metal with that little extra to wander to power metal's territory. Heavier than a 10ˇ78kg anvil, more epic than a battle of the millions, especially the second album.

3/4 great US Power recommendations. Now this is what HEAVY power metal sounds like.

Sir, to your taste in "true" power metal
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 19:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 19:29

i guess then you have a personal shrine dedicated to the user Hellish Star where you burn US power metal cd's every Saturday?
25.11.2008 - 20:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 25.11.2008 at 19:32

i guess then you have a personal shrine dedicated to the user Hellish Star where you burn US power metal cd's every Saturday?

Yes I have...

We old people try to stick together

And I have seen his collection... damn... it IS MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 20:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 20:04

Written by Valentin B on 25.11.2008 at 19:32

Yes I have...

We old people try to stick together

And I have seen his collection... damn... it IS MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE

you both don't have nothing on this guy though, http://metalstorm.ee/users/profile.php?user_id=22953

he reminds me of that dude who had the biggest music collection in the world, only 17% of which can be purchased anywhere else..
25.11.2008 - 20:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 25.11.2008 at 20:10

you both don't have nothing on this guy though, http://metalstorm.ee/users/profile.php?user_id=22953

he reminds me of that dude who had the biggest music collection in the world, only 17% of which can be purchased anywhere else..

Well, look at the collection of MaySun carefully...
He's got so much ultrarare stuff listed it is safe to say he listed everything he has as mp3 on his computer as well.

But about that guy in the video...damn that was awesome and it would really be a shame if it would all go to waste.
I got the link to that video from Otto (bass in Detonation) and I reposted it in the shoutbox. Now that guy just OOZES passion for music. If possible at all I would really like to meet him see his collection and talk to him about his passion... and then post the conversation here on MS although it will be totally non-metal.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 20:42
Hellish Star

Well, let's introduce you to some awesome US Power & Progressive Metal:
HELSTAR - the US Power Metal gods
DEADLY BLESSING
LIEGE LORD
LETHAL
ATTACKER
RAVENSTHORN
EIDOLON
CAGE
CATCH 22
SANCTUARY (Ex Nevermore)
CRIMSON GLORY
DESTINY'S END
OLIVER MAGNUM
FORTE
JAG PANZER
JACOB'S DREAM
LEATHERWOLF
VICIOUS RUMORS
NEW EDEN
ORDER OF NINE
ORACLE
DARK ARENA
MYSTIC FORCE
RITUAL
MYSTIK
POWER
PSYCHOTIC WALTZ
SACRED OATH
SAVAGE GRACE
SEVENTH CALLING
SEVEN WITCHES
SPIRIT WEB
STEEL PROPHET
WINTER'S BANE

Also try the more melodic Thrash like
AGENT STEEL
TOXIK
REALM
NASTY SAVAGE
LAAZ ROCKIT
FLOTSAM & JETSAM
HEATHEN
INTRUDER
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
25.11.2008 - 21:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Okay thesabbathfan wanted recommendations concering heavy power metal... well, Hellish Star just posted the ultimate post here. Have fun checking it all out thesabbathfan.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 21:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Might as well lock it haha.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
25.11.2008 - 21:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
About HS list, I know maybe 40% whit out looking into MA, if I check I can tell if I know or not know but , I realy like Liege Lord, Eidolon, Oliver Magnum, Those bands are realy good and those who ant know how sounds bands www.vibrationsofdoom.com there shood be moust of 80;s albums even in mono quality, if you can hear mp3 or song in sterio, please do it
----

apos;'
[image]
25.11.2008 - 22:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 21:17

Okay thesabbathfan wanted recommendations concering heavy power metal... well, Hellish Star just posted the ultimate post here. Have fun checking it all out thesabbathfan.

well he didn't really point out the first two obvious choices(Primal Fear and Hammerfall)
25.11.2008 - 22:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@Valetin B, but those two are NOT heavy power imo, especially not Hammerfall.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.11.2008 - 22:32
Hrothdane

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.11.2008 at 22:29

@Valetin B, but those two are NOT heavy power imo, especially not Hammerfall.

Thesabbathfan liked them, so I don't think that matters.
----