08. Romanticide
09. Ghost Love Score
10. Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
11. Higher Than Hope
12. White Night Fantasy [bonus]
13. Live To Tell The Tale [bonus]
14. Where Were You Last Night [Ankie Bagger cover] [bonus]
+ Nemo [video]

Before hearing the 'Nemo' single, I was looking forward to this new album of Nightwish (one of my favourite bands by the way). After hearing this single I was even more looking forward to the full-length. After listening to Once a good dozen times, I realize I was so better-off before. I hate saying that, like almost all the fans it twists my bowels to criticize Nightwish, but Once is to me terribly disappointing. Maybe I've heard too much about it, about the use of an orchestra, about the heavier riffs, Tarja's best performance ever?

Though, the album starts off really well with 'Dark Chest Of Wonders' that ressuscitates a certain heaviness that was absent since Wishmaster. 'Wish I Had Angel' sounds a bit like Century Child's songs, but shows an excellent use of the vocals duet of Tarja Turunen and Marco Hietala. This song is a bit common but good anyway. 'Nemo' after that is a real killer, the kind of song that grows on you after twenty seconds and decides to live in your head forever. Undoubtedly this is the best song of the album, along with the following, 'Planet Hell', a really aggressive one, in the vein of Oceanborn. To keep going with the positive points, the use of the orchestra is brilliant. They were probably expected to fall in the trap of overusing it, as most bands do when they are given this chance, but no, the bits are cleverly dispatched here and there, without covering the rest of the music, without taking too much importance, actually the orchestra is here only to enhance the quality of some instrumental parts. It's all the contrary compared to the last Dimmu Borgir for example, and it's an excellent surprise, as I was expecting something like a new Therion-wannabe.

So you're gonna ask me, if I like it so much, why the hell do I say that I'm disappointed? Well, the answer is: reread the previous paragraph, and you'll notice I'm only talking about the first four songs. After these ones, the high standard of Once suddenly collapses. 'Creek Mary's Blood' is certainly the worst and lamest song they've ever dared record: it's supposedly an epic song? well, ok, then why, if it's epic, is it so cheesy and mellow? And what is with this Amerindian guy reciting his poem for two minutes without music? The whole song is based on good intentions and the will to create something different, but it's just so long? The rest of the album is better, but without real interest. I mean indifference quickly settles down, and the only thing that makes you realize Once is over is this strange and unusual feeling that your house is too quiet without loud music. I'm being nasty here, actually one song among the last seven caught my attention, the ballad 'Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan': I don't know whether I noticed it because of the singing in Finnish or the real quality of the song, but it's a nice ballad overall.

Finally, I hate sounding nostalgic, but when you hear Oceanborn and Wishmaster, admittedly their two masterpieces, and then this Once, don't you dare tell me it's the same level... Actually the best parts of Once are when Hietala sings. Brings out a bit of change, especially since I am also slightly disappointed with Tarja's voice, which doesn't sound as powerful as before. I have the bitter impression that Nightwish starts letting go, that they think they're the best, the leaders in their genre, so they don't have to work, in other words, I have the feeling that they've caught the Children Of Bodom syndrom. This is the reason for the low rating. You're not untouchable, so now c'mon guys, WAKE UP!

Highlights: the first four songs, plus Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan

Written by Deadsoulman | 30.06.2004

Guest review by
Spyroid
Rating:
I would say that this is something as uncommon as a perfect (when it comes to rating) album with flaws! I used to claim that every perfect album needs to have unity, and be totally free of any letdown songs/flaws. And Once, plus a handful other albums, are the exceptions to the rule of mine.

Nightwish are one of the most professional bands out there. When I listen to 'Once', I can't find any flaws at all in the musicianship. All the good songs are perfectly completed compositions and their lyrics are tastefull and interesting. The choirs and orchestra are perfectly blended with the really Heavy Metal riffs and drums, and the piano/keyboard pieces are great. Toumas is probably the reincarnation of Mozart and I would guess that his father is Howard Shore or Andrew Lloyd Webber. This is soundtrack metal at it's finest. Since I love cheesy epic soundtracks, this of course appeals to me!

Read more ››
published 05.10.2007 | Comments (7)

Comments

Comments: 61   [ 6 ignored ]   Visited by: 290 users
10.07.2006 - 00:12
abysss

Whoever wrote this review, it's clear that he doesn't like Once.

It's hard to get it entirelly music-wise because the songs are so complex. You must listen it many many times before it enters in your head as Tuomas wanted to.

I also tought like you before... That once is a disappointment from Nightwish. But after seeing them live performing those songs, I realized that those songs are much better than I tought... and slowly I listened to once more and more to the point when I knew I was totally inside. Great experience, and then you'll realise that nemo is just the less complex song on the album, wich is still a killer song, as you said,... the one made to get inside your ear quickly.

I'd give this album an 8.8 rating
10.07.2006 - 21:54
Sunioj

For one the guy in Creek marys blood is speaking in hebrew about God,
Armediean guy? Wtf?

How do you go epic and not cheesy? I find this and Oceanborn the least cheezy/epic of all the albums. Yes the album has more riffing but thats all experimental and this is a great album no doubt. Its not the same level in the sense of musicianship, definetly but its still a great album.
10.07.2006 - 22:03
RavenLord

Written by Sunioj on 10.07.2006 at 21:54

For one the guy in Creek marys blood is speaking in hebrew about God,
Armediean guy? Wtf?

How do you go epic and not cheesy? I find this and Oceanborn the least cheezy/epic of all the albums. Yes the album has more riffing but thats all experimental and this is a great album no doubt. Its not the same level in the sense of musicianship, definetly but its still a great album.

Actually, the performer reciting the poem at the end of Creek Mary's Blood is John Two-Hawks, a prominent Native American musician. As for the album itself, I think it's a bit of a mixed bag. When it gets good, it's bloody amazing (Ghost Love Score, Siren), but the filler on this album is filler and a half (Wish I Had An Angel). It's definitely more mainstream than their previous works, and the emphasis is more on downtuned, heavy guitars, the loud orchestra and non-operatic vocals from Tarja. Combined with the use of a drum machine [I almost wrote 'blast beats' there ] on WIhaA, the whole album is somewhat 'poppy'. However, that certainly doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the album, and I would give it a score of 8.5-It's no Ocenaborn, but it does have some classics. As for the debate regarding Creek Mary's Blood, I quite like it. I've heard it being dissed for being a poor man's Run to the Hills lyrically, but Run to the Hills is overrated and cheesy too :p. It has some great orchestral work and the Amerindian influences work a charm, similarly to the Eastern Mediterranean/Persian influences on Siren. And as a final note, I am not taking into account the bonus tracks, mainly because if I did, the score would be around 5. I never want to listen to White Night Fantasy again....:wall:
(although Live to tell the Tale wasn't too bad...)
----
11.07.2006 - 20:04
Revenant
Account deleted
This is an abysmal review, the guy clearly knows nothign about symphonic/power metal. The part on CMB is a perfect example. 'Too long', ffs this genre is about epic, long and meaningfull songs, if you want some simple short crude metal listen to grindcore. The fact that this site only lets certian people review albums makes this even worse. If GLs impressed you less than WihaA then you clearly cant apreciate symphonic metla and shouldnt review it. And aparently mellow cant be epic, what bullshit.

The translation for the CMB poem is in my copy of Once and it's nto about God it's a red indian poem about the greed of the white man and his slaughter of the bufalo and natives and how his greed will eventualy consume him. Haven't read it in ages though...

Once was an excellent album apart from the over simplififed guitar and drumming and the unnessassary attempt to sound 'heavy' (song like GLS dont need power chords!).
24.07.2006 - 15:31
Rating: 1
Bas
Retired Staff
horrible album IMO,
one of Nightwish´s worst efforts, and that means that it really has to be bad.
the drums, guitars and keyboards are all quite boring, and while i dont like Tarja on the other cds either, i admit she has talent, but i dont like her accent, here she definitely sounds worst.
marco´s vocals are nice to listen to for the first or the first few times, but gets boring extremely fast, Dark Chest Of Wonders and Planet Hell are nice songs IMO, the rest is crap, i´d rate it a 4
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
28.08.2006 - 21:07
Rating: 8
Valentin B
Iconoclast
out of all the songs,i think only romanticide is filler.the rest is good to superb
i'd rate the tracks like this:
and i haven;t listened to live to tell the tale..
overall this album has it's low points but it;s a decent and solid effort.it has a very diverse sound,mellow,rough,strange(wtf is that squealing instrument in the siren?)
the orchestra is used fantasticly,in ghost love score,the siren(unmistaakeable intro),and the flutes and violins in kuolema tekee taiteilijan are superb
i'd rate this album 8.5,a good release,but not as good as wishmaster or oceanborn
29.08.2006 - 07:32
Mr.Wilson

IMO...Once is a different album..but not a horrible album like some of you have said...it´s not as good as wishmaster or oceanborn..but still good anyway..in fact the drum role its a bit simplified...INO it´s the negative point...but still a good album...the guitar riffs are heavy..and catchy...the orquestration it´s absolutly superb...tuomas is a genius..the performance of tarja it´s magnific.
But i believe that nemo is not tne best song on the album...it´s a true single but not the best..and i don´t agree that the first four songs are the best...in fact Ghost love score is th best song on this album...and the second one is higher than hope!
----
"..Damned in any Language..."
29.08.2006 - 10:33
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
I'm someone who found that "Century Child" was Nightwish's most uninteresting and unfocused release, so my expectations were only average for Once. But now after 2 years of having this CD, it's my 2nd favorite from the band (below Oceanborn). I strongly disagree that the epic 5th track is a disappointment; it's songs like this that show a progression of Nightwish's songs in a way I wish they would employ on a future release.

"Planet Hell" is my personal pick on this CD, and was truly my favorite song to see played live from the band. I personally find the guitar tone on Once to finally be crisp, as at times in the past it has been a bit lacking.

I'm unsure what the complaint is about a 'long' song... the 2 lengthy tracks on this CD are diverse enough to warrant a length of such, but it seems this review suggests that Nightwish song over 5 mins is just a bad thing altogether? I don't think this tops Oceanborn, but I do feel this review is negatively biased in a way that doesn't warrant it being the only review on this album for MS.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
30.11.2006 - 20:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i dunno why people diss "white night fantasy", it's kind of on-the-fly written, but hey, it delivers the goods! it happens to not be cheesy, like CMB, the lowest point on the album apart from romanticide
02.12.2006 - 22:07
RavenLord

Written by Valentin B on 30.11.2006 at 20:20

i dunno why people diss "white night fantasy", it's kind of on-the-fly written, but hey, it delivers the goods! it happens to not be cheesy, like CMB, the lowest point on the album apart from romanticide

It's horribly, horribly, horribly twee. Everything from the vocals to the little acoustic bit in the middle make me cringe. No wonder they didn't put it on the standard album.
----
01.07.2007 - 08:41
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
Well, it's quite disappointed to me. I will rate no more than 7.5
01.07.2007 - 12:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
me personaly consider Once to be Nightwish masterpiece - primary because of Ghost Love Score but many others are great too
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

19.08.2007 - 19:20
Ernis
狼獾
I agree here...."Ghost Love Score" and "Dark Chest Of Wonders" are the two pearls of this album......shiny pearls....and "Creek Mary" is a solid piece of fine music as well....
29.09.2007 - 15:31
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
5/10

Good review.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
01.12.2007 - 15:51
angel_heart

I can't believe you didn't even mention "Ghost love score", which is almost like their trade mark and their best song!!
23.03.2008 - 01:11
jaeger
Account deleted
Good review. I felt disappointed as well the first time I heard Once, but I got used to it. There are some pretty good tracks on it like "Nemo", an easy but captivating song, or "Planet Hell", "Ghost Love Score" and "The Siren" are both amazing, on the other hand "Wish I had an Angel" must be one of the worst songs they ever made.
28.07.2008 - 22:41
Rating: 10
Enissa

Written by Guest on 11.07.2006 at 20:04

This is an abysmal review, the guy clearly knows nothign about symphonic/power metal. The part on CMB is a perfect example. 'Too long', ffs this genre is about epic, long and meaningfull songs, if you want some simple short crude metal listen to grindcore. The fact that this site only lets certian people review albums makes this even worse. If GLs impressed you less than WihaA then you clearly cant apreciate symphonic metla and shouldnt review it. And aparently mellow cant be epic, what bullshit.

The translation for the CMB poem is in my copy of Once and it's nto about God it's a red indian poem about the greed of the white man and his slaughter of the bufalo and natives and how his greed will eventualy consume him. Haven't read it in ages though...

Once was an excellent album apart from the over simplififed guitar and drumming and the unnessassary attempt to sound 'heavy' (song like GLS dont need power chords!).

I Totally agree with u
I usually dont complain about reviews, cus its an opinion in the end
but this one drives me crazy, the Album is about Symphonic/Power Metal, and it seems the reviewer doesnt have to do anything with it
So what that CMB is long?thats the beaty of it! this is one of the things what this genre is about
I cant believe that he didnt mention GLS or Higher than Hope, the 1st in my opinion An Epic Piece and the 2nd is very nice song. The reviewer just mentioned the negative things in the album not mentioning its positive sides (which are a lot!)
then what about Oceanborn?u have to judge it by its own beauty not to compare it with other albums!
I would give at least 9.7 very nice & Epic Album
28.07.2008 - 23:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
My God tha fanboys once again can't stand any normal constructive criticism. It is my bet that when Nightwish records an album full of farts you people will still drool over it.

FYI CMB is too long. What they get across in that song now could have be done in a much shorter song and then would have had a much bigger impact.

Yes this album is about symphonic power metal but alas it is a mediocre just above mediocre sort of symphonic power metal that is on display here.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.07.2008 - 23:57
Deadsoulman

I especially enjoy comments such as "The reviewer just mentioned the negative things in the album not mentioning its positive sides", when the whole first paragraph is actually devoted to the positive points of this album
Anyway, I guess people just get mad about the rating (6.5 is not a bad rating by the way) and don't actually read the review, or just take some stuff out of context and rant about it.
Well, I agree I could have talked a bit about Ghost Love Score, but other than that this review pretty much still sums up my thoughts on this album.
26.08.2008 - 13:59
angel_heart

am i the only one who finds it weird that you consider 'nemo' (the single, the catchy song, the one made to appeal to the masses) to be the best song on this album and totally dismiss masterpieces like 'ghost love score' and 'the siren'? did you actually listen carefully to the whole album or did you just got sidetracked by the oh-to-long-creek mary's blood and forgot to pay attention to the following songs? and what's so oceanbornesque in 'planet hell'?
25.10.2008 - 03:18
Land Of Doom

Good Review And Good Album From Nightwish
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
14.05.2009 - 16:36
Rating: 6
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Songs 1-4 and 6 are nice but the rest are much more worse... for the style-lovers i guess this is a decent album... form me, not so good...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
06.06.2009 - 09:15
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
The reviewer got everything right.. this album starts excellent but decay after the middle. The only good song from the second half of the CD is ''Ghost Love Score''.

With that in mind the rate seems pretty fair.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.07.2010 - 08:10
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
It's always the overrated mediocre singles, that people love. Not the magnificent Ghost Love Score or The Siren or Greek Mary's Blood, freaking Nemo. How is anyone supposed to take such reviews seriously? God! This is like the guy who called The haunting the best song Kamelot ever made, when in reality it was probably the weakest song on The Black Halo.
14.07.2010 - 19:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Collin listens to nightwish collin listens to nightwish! /taunt
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.07.2010 - 20:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by BitterCOld on 14.07.2010 at 19:49

*Joins in*
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2010 - 21:22
vezzy
Stallmanite
Collin listened to Nightwish 6 years ago.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.07.2010 - 21:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by vezzy on 14.07.2010 at 21:22

He confided in me during a more emotional drunk moment that actually listens to them and still likes them a lot
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.07.2010 - 21:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2010 at 21:27

He confided in me during a more emotional drunk moment that actually listens to them and still likes them a lot

Ah, okay then.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
14.07.2010 - 22:56
Deadsoulman

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.07.2010 at 21:27

And then we hugged, and then the rest is NSFW.

Hits total: 19937 | This month: 33