Metal Storm logo
BEM Agency Calls It Quits

BEM Agency was one of the biggest concert organizers in Estonia bringing state of the art rock and metal artists to Estonia and organizing Green Christmas festival in Rakvere each year. Tough times call for tough decisions and BEM Agency has decided to wrap their business up. According to the Gunnar Viese interview given to Eesti Päevaleht Online, the firm does not see any ways to continue. As Gunnar Viese stated, starting from last Autumn the number of concert visitors has dropped about a third. VAT raise at the beginning of the year has also played a big role in ticket pricing and further raise in ticket prices seems to be out of the question. Although there is motivation to continue, BEM Agency sees no way that the situation in this field is going to improve soon. Thus comes the tough decision to quit.

Metal Storm wishes the people of BEM Agency all the best and thanks for all the concerts BEM Agency has organized and helped us cover. Special thanks goes to Gunnar Viese.

Source: bem.ee
Posted: 30.06.2009 by Ivor

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   Visited by: 110 users
30.06.2009 - 23:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Damn financial crisis...
30.06.2009 - 23:55
Symmachus

I have never heard of this agency. But it sucks that they have to wrap up their business like that.
01.07.2009 - 00:15
Ivor
Staff
Written by Symmachus on 30.06.2009 at 23:55

I have never heard of this agency. But it sucks that they have to wrap up their business like that.

Being in USA I'm not surprise about it. To us Estonians it is a real blow, though. I feel there might be quite a bit less entertainment concert-wise in the near future.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
01.07.2009 - 04:17
iaberis
Advice Troll
R.I.P.
----
Bitch! Please
01.07.2009 - 05:51
tulkas
el parcero
Then it's also no surprise that I never heard of it either but it does suck. This financial crisis just keeps getting worse so who knows what else is gonna happen. Band world tours may be on the line?...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
01.07.2009 - 21:41
Symmachus

Written by Ivor on 01.07.2009 at 00:15

Written by Symmachus on 30.06.2009 at 23:55

Being in USA I'm not surprise about it. To us Estonians it is a real blow, though. I feel there might be quite a bit less entertainment concert-wise in the near future.

I.

I bet it is a blow to Estonians that BEM closed down. What other concert organizers are in Estonia?
02.07.2009 - 00:33
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Financial crisis my foot, i've been poor for far longer than all this economic hoopla took place.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
02.07.2009 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by LeChron James on 02.07.2009 at 00:33

Financial crisis my foot, i've been poor for far longer than all this economic hoopla took place.

My thoughts as well. But I've seen many a company use the so-called financial crisis (of which we have seen the worst a couple of months ago and now we're on the up again) as an excuse to call it quits. Thus not blaming failure on their own shortcomings (not sure if this is the case here of course) but all on the so-called financial crisis.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2009 - 22:56
Ivor
Staff
There are talks of a pretty stiff financial loss with the recent Limp Bizkit gig they organized which brought in less money than expected. As I interpret it, they made a miscalculation on that one. Reunions at such economic time probably ain't a way to make money. At least not for organizers and not in Estonia.

As for the crisis itself, there are numerour factors. Estonia had until 1st July 2009 a VAT of 18%, now it's 20%. However, until January 1st all sorts of entertainments (theaters, concerts, etc) had a discount on that tax. For those events VAT was 6%. And ticket prices have never been low in Estonia. The population is small and you have to make it up somehow. It seems the prices were already on the limit, plus there was VAT raise. So, in the end I kinda agree with them. It's a tough business. Hopefully this ain't going to mean that there would be no more Green Christmas festival.

And Marcel. That you in Holland are on the economic rise, doesn't mean we are. Baltic states are worst off in this sense. Worse off than Estonia are only our neighbours Latvia.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
02.07.2009 - 22:58
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.07.2009 at 15:42

My thoughts as well. But I've seen many a company use the so-called financial crisis (of which we have seen the worst a couple of months ago and now we're on the up again) as an excuse to call it quits. Thus not blaming failure on their own shortcomings (not sure if this is the case here of course) but all on the so-called financial crisis.

i wanna see brain drill break up and cite the financial crisis as their reason. thatd just be too perfect. not that i wanna see brain drill break up or anything.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.

Hits total: 2045 | This month: 4