08. Blackwater Park
09. The Leper Affinity [live] [Legacy edition bonus]

[Limited edition bonus CD]
01. Still Day Beneath The Sun
02. Patterns In The Ivy II

[Legacy Edition bonus DVD]
+ 5.0 Audio Mix Of The Original Album
+ The Making Of Blackwater Park

Passion. That's what Blackwater Park is all about. Pure, unadulterated passion. Forget that Opeth display musical ability and know-how that is rivaled by few. Forget that the ending to The Leper Affinity goes from what can only be described as one of the greatest jam sessions ever, to a beautiful, yet melancholic pianistic epilogue. Forget that Harvest is one of the greatest acoustic songs ever written. Forget that Blackwater Park contains the perfect metal riff. Forget that Mikael Akerfeld quite possibly has the best voice in all of music. Forget that every moment of this album will make you stand in awe of what you're hearing. Why should you forget all that? Because none of it matters.

What matters is that Opeth's music connects with the listener on a level that no other band has ever obtained. Just what that level is can's be defined. It can only be felt. And the only way to feel it is to listen. And I do mean LISTEN. You shouldn's do so much as twiddle your thumbs during the play of this, or any other of their albums. You would only be hurting yourself. Their only rivals in this department would be the immortal classical composers, such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. But Opeth still beats them out.

I can's tell you how difficult it is for me to rate this at all. By doing so, I'm implying that Blackwater Park, and indeed all of Opeth's works, can be somehow compared with any other album by any other band. That is simply not true. I have given perfect 10's to bands that don's even register on the scale when compared to Opeth. The very fact that I'm pretending to be worthy enough to even discuss Opeth's music is an unforgivable sin. No amount of words in this, or any other, language can begin to describe the tapestry of emotions on this, or any of their albums. Opeth's creations transcend not only metal, but art itself. This is the language of the soul.

Written by Account deleted | 18.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Storchillarn
Rating:
There are few bands that dare to continuously expand their musical sphere with each release, expecting their fans to accept the changes - even fewer succeed. Mikael Åkerfeldt, song writer and front man of Opeth, has pushed Opeth to do so since the band's inception and perhaps it's this constant change, not giving the audience a chance to adjust to one particular niche, which keeps them from ending up like so many metal bands before them: repetitive and uninspired. 2001 was the year Opeth opened the floodgates of creativity and released what many believe to be their magnum opus, an album so hyped you might doubt its brilliance. I'm here to tell you not to doubt. This is Blackwater Park.

Read more ››
published 19.06.2010 | Comments (15)

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
This charade has gone on long enough. It's time someone gave this crappy album an honest assessment.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2018 | Comments (42)

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 162   Visited by: 1085 users
18.01.2008 - 18:04
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Talvi on 23.07.2006 at 14:44

Morningrise beats this album easily

I'm with you then... [even If you have changed your mind in the last comment xD

Morningrise is the best IMO
But this album is still a masterpiece... It's very hard to judge Opeth's albums.. because everyone is exellent [I don't like their last though.... But it's very fresh, must I say]...
The Leper Affinity, Bleak [the clean vocals in this songs are out of this world], Harvest and The Funeral Portrait are my favorites... and in my top of Opeth's best songs... [my favorite song of Opeth is Nectar ]

Written by Warman on 18.01.2008 at 15:59

I gotta get my hands on track number 9 and 10... :

Do it man... Those songs are very beautiful... If you like Harvest you will LOVE those tracks [they are better than Harvest IMO]
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
19.01.2008 - 21:39
Blood For Cowboy
Account deleted
Every albums by them are fuckin awesome excellent and perfect, but this is my favorite because it was my first Opeth record
31.01.2008 - 05:18
Rating: 8
Rupert
Written by Guest on 13.01.2008 at 11:36

To get back on topic... I find that I'm starting to like Ghost Reveries even more than Blackwater Park, but I can't put my finger on why I like it better. Of course more people would choose Blackwater Park as a favourite, but is there anyone out there who prefers Ghost Reveries?

Ya, I do. It's more experimental I find.
06.02.2008 - 17:26
Jotun_01
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 19.07.2006 at 10:22

Written by In_tallica on 19.07.2006 at 03:27

ok, it's good, but not THAT good!

No, it's very freakin good.

Blackwater Park is a great album.
Opeth has not made a bad album yet.
Opeth Rules!

The Drapery Falls and Bleak are my favorite songs off this album.
06.03.2008 - 00:15
Evil Chip
Opeth rules, and this album is my favourite of them.
Their music is unique, sad, heavy, evil, etc. It has all.
My favourites are Blackwater park and the drapery falls.
27.03.2008 - 17:57
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Ok, does anyone still have doubts about the artistic quality of Opeth? Then listen to Blackwater Park. It'll just be a part of the whole picture but it will help you to figure this puzzle out. For me, Blackwater Park was never the best Opeth's release, that doesnt mean I dont put it in a pedestal.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.03.2008 - 18:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BloodTears on 27.03.2008 at 17:57

For me, Blackwater Park was never the best Opeth's release, that doesnt mean I dont put it in a pedestal.

Damm right.
For me... This can't be the best one... it's impossible.
MAYH, Still Life and Morningrise beats this album soooooo easily.
But still... this album is freaking good.
The clean vocals on "Bleak" and the growls and brutal riffs on "Blackwater Park" makes this album hard to forget...
----
Rod, let me love you.
27.03.2008 - 18:19
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.03.2008 at 18:05

Written by BloodTears on 27.03.2008 at 17:57

For me, Blackwater Park was never the best Opeth's release, that doesnt mean I dont put it in a pedestal.

Damm right.
For me... This can't be the best one... it's impossible.
MAYH, Still Life and Morningrise beats this album soooooo easily.
But still... this album is freaking good.
The clean vocals on "Bleak" and the growls and brutal riffs on "Blackwater Park" makes this album hard to forget...

Yes, its hard to forget indeed, your absolutely right.
----

My Instagram
10.04.2008 - 23:31
Plaguebearer
I continuously hear a lot of hype over opeth, expecially this album, but every time I try to listen to them I only hear an acoustic riff that seems to go on forever and I stop listening to it. Now Im not saying they are bad, I just can't see how they are progressive death metal. I would greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the direction of a song that best describes Opeth so that I may appreciate their so-called wonderous music
11.04.2008 - 00:02
Rating: 10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Plaguebearer on 10.04.2008 at 23:31

I continuously hear a lot of hype over opeth, expecially this album, but every time I try to listen to them I only hear an acoustic riff that seems to go on forever and I stop listening to it. Now Im not saying they are bad, I just can't see how they are progressive death metal. I would greatly appreciate someone pointing me in the direction of a song that best describes Opeth so that I may appreciate their so-called wonderous music

Do you mean you can't hear the Death Metal elements? 'Cuz the Progressive ones are kinda easy to recognize. If you mean the Death, then you've probably heard the "wrong" songs.
----
13.04.2008 - 15:18
Plaguebearer
Quote:
Do you mean you can't hear the Death Metal elements? 'Cuz the Progressive ones are kinda easy to recognize. If you mean the Death, then you've probably heard the "wrong" songs.

Thats what Im sayin man. I need someone to tell me the right songs. Every song I hear is just acoustics and stuff. Not that I don't like that, but I would enjoy to hear the death metal finese of Opeth. Can you send some recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated!
13.04.2008 - 16:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Quote:
Written by Plaguebearer on 13.04.2008 at 15:18

Thats what Im sayin man. I need someone to tell me the right songs. Every song I hear is just acoustics and stuff. Not that I don't like that, but I would enjoy to hear the death metal finese of Opeth. Can you send some recommendations? It would be greatly appreciated!

Form this album you can hear:
The Funeral Portrait
Blackwater Park
If that's not death influenced... then I don't know what you're looking for ^^
You can also hear songs from the other albums such as "Serenity Painted Death" [from still life] and "Demon of the Fall" from the cd My arms Your Hearse.

Enjoy =p
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.04.2008 - 17:44
Warman
Erotic Stains
Quote:
Written by Plaguebearer on 13.04.2008 at 15:18

Listen to "Master's Apprentices" from Deliverance.
----
13.04.2008 - 18:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
That song is a killer Warman...

Mikael's vocals on that album are excellent IMO...
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.04.2008 - 18:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.04.2008 at 18:10

Yeah, just me who thinks that's his best growls so far?
----
13.04.2008 - 18:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Warman on 13.04.2008 at 18:25

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.04.2008 at 18:10

Yeah, just me who thinks that's his best growls so far?

Mmmm Maybe you're right... if you mean "violent growls"
But the growls on "Serenity Painted Death" are also one of my favorites, specially when he say:

White faced, haggard grin
This serenity painted death
With a halo of bitter disease
Black paragon in lingering breath...

both songs are among my favorites from opeth discography... and both has awesome drum work... Damn, I really miss Lopez, He was one of my favorite drummers.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.04.2008 - 22:29
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
My favourite growls are also in serenity painted death and demon of the fall. Their killer.
----

My Instagram
16.04.2008 - 20:59
Plaguebearer
Thanks for your suppourt everyone
08.06.2008 - 00:37
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
"Their only rivals in this department would be the immortal classical composers, such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. But Opeth still beats them out. "

I am wondering is there ANYONE who listens to both classical music and Opeth. Because Opwth is too much boring for those guys who listen to classic music. If they listen to metal, they listen to death/black/doom/thrash(maybe thrash). They consider prog metal as a shit.
08.06.2008 - 22:28
Quadz
Account deleted
Written by Metalhead2 on 08.06.2008 at 00:37

"Their only rivals in this department would be the immortal classical composers, such as Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. But Opeth still beats them out. "

I am wondering is there ANYONE who listens to both classical music and Opeth. Because Opwth is too much boring for those guys who listen to classic music. If they listen to metal, they listen to death/black/doom/thrash(maybe thrash). They consider prog metal as a shit.

I completly disagree...
08.06.2008 - 22:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff

I suppose your crowd are orchestra buffs then, and they've told you this? I dont think your argument has any basis whatsoever. I dont think I could say anything more without it being a direct insult.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.09.2008 - 05:11
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by Doc G. on 08.06.2008 at 22:58

I suppose your crowd are orchestra buffs then, and they've told you this? I dont think your argument has any basis whatsoever. I dont think I could say anything more without it being a direct insult.

anal thermomitor
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
16.11.2008 - 13:33
Volknor
Account deleted
SO many people love Blackwater Park. As i do to. But everybody should thank Steve from Porcupine Tree for helping Akerfelt write alot of this album. Its amazes me how nobody really gave Opeth a chance the first three albums. I remember listening to Morningrise and alot of people were like, "this is gay". Well it wasnt!!! But NOW everybody loves them! They always kicked ass, even before everybody jumped on the bandwagon.
16.11.2008 - 22:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 16.11.2008 at 13:33

SO many people love Blackwater Park. As i do to. But everybody should thank Steve from Porcupine Tree for helping Akerfelt write alot of this album. Its amazes me how nobody really gave Opeth a chance the first three albums. I remember listening to Morningrise and alot of people were like, "this is gay". Well it wasnt!!! But NOW everybody loves them! They always kicked ass, even before everybody jumped on the bandwagon.

The first three albums are unfortunately behind the shadow of Blackwater Park, that sucks IMO becuause Morningrise is my favorite.
----
Rod, let me love you.
16.11.2008 - 22:15
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.11.2008 at 22:08

Written by Guest on 16.11.2008 at 13:33

The first three albums are unfortunately behind the shadow of Blackwater Park, that sucks IMO becuause Morningrise is my favorite.

Yeah, besides the first 4 albums are better than Blackwater Park.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.11.2008 - 22:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Elio on 16.11.2008 at 22:15

Yeah, besides the first 4 albums are better than Blackwater Park.

I agree on that, I forgot Still life, oops
----
Rod, let me love you.
17.11.2008 - 22:40
DanielViking
Another great album... the most darker album of the band. 9!
18.11.2008 - 08:56
nana.MD
Star-Queen
This was the album that got me into opeth...i like it alot, looking forward to see them soon i hope!
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
23.11.2008 - 18:42
Bleak
Account deleted
I think its the best album that opeth made...
16.12.2008 - 15:17
Rating: 5
Slayer666
Whatever drug the reviewer is using,my advice to him is to get off it as soon as possible.I mean,Jessus Christ,it's good,but,damnit it's not THAT good.Personally,i consider Opeth (and prog metal,in general) ultimate shit,but objectivly looking,it's a good album.But it doesn;t deserve this rating,or this position.Not even by far.

Hits total: 36158 | This month: 29