04. Morbid Devil Of Pestilence
05. Interlude (Cuneiform title)
06. Infernal Dance Of The Wicked
07. Interlude (Sanskrit title)
08. Seven Chalices Of Vomit And Blood
09. Qliphotic Necromancy
10. The Abomination Of Desolation
11. The Origin Of Death

Music is a powerful drug. Somebody should write a 'MiHKAL' - Music I Have Known And Loved. If you're the least bit into psychedelic exploration you know 'Sasha' probably won't do it, so somebody else should. Music has the ability to entrance the listener and bring him or her into virtually any state of mind. And besides that music has one huge advantage over other drugs - bad trips can still be good trips.

Death metal is one of those genres that perfectly lends itself for an awesome bad trip. Unfortunately, many bands have lost their ability of being delusionary and intoxicating in their quest for speed. But that's not the issue today, today the issue is one of the bands that does it right. I'm a positive-minded person after all... Teitanblood does it right, and they immediately do it ri-fucking-ight! Seven Chalices, their '09 sacrificial offering, is one hell of an album. From the very first seconds, after the theatrical intro that is, damp riffs project dark caves on the mind's eye, whammy bar shredding grimier than Slayer could ever imagine swarms like a cloud of rabid bats through the cavernous labyrinth. Azerate roars, screams and moans. Welcome to hell.

Musicianship is not the sole bone-crushing factor of Seven Chalices. In fact, if it wouldn't be for the production, this album wouldn't be half as impressive as it is now, I'm sure. You can view that as a bad thing, or you can just accept it as it is. Blood is thicker than water, but nothing is as thick as the guitar sound on Seven Chalices. Holy mother of Mary, gather a dozen of chainsaws, a couple of meatgrinders and a bunch of obese people with a massive diarrhoea attacks and you're still nowhere near. I can't remember the last time I heard a guitar sound this good. Seven Chalices has a production that gives the impression the music was recorded on tape, then buried for twenty years and eventually exhumed to finally be made available for us slimy Deatheads to relish in.

If you're not into obscure and occult Death metal, you will not like this. If you're looking for technical prowess, progressive bridges and/or sing-along choruses, get the hell out. If you're looking for... aaaah shyte, forget it. Just check this out man! If you don't like it, be glad, because in that case Satan doesn't want your soul anyway.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 02.12.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 194 users
03.12.2009 - 03:38
silenius

Youre review gave me a hard-on, will check it out^^
03.12.2009 - 03:47
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
SHIT, I neeeed to get this!!!
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
03.12.2009 - 06:32
BudDa

Haha. love the review..
Will check this out asap..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
03.12.2009 - 08:36
Sunioj

I'm into obscure, occultish DM but yet I find this band to be nothing special. Too bad for me I guess : /
04.12.2009 - 16:39
dEAthB3D

Will check their samples...
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
10.12.2009 - 19:10
Kalt.Dunkelheit

Haven't heard of the band, gonna check it
20.12.2009 - 04:07
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 03.12.2009 at 08:36

I'm into obscure, occultish DM but yet I find this band to be nothing special. Too bad for me I guess : /

That's the same way I felt. I thought this album was going to be awesomely brutal, but I was left disappointed.
20.12.2009 - 20:21
betclicroulette

I love the review!
20.01.2010 - 07:36
Rating: 5
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
It's alright I guess, but a little too sloppy for me at times with the drums
12.03.2010 - 21:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Listening to it again and I don't hate it actually. Your description of it is pretty spot on, very primitive and occult-like.

Reminds me of when I first heard Von or early Beherit.
12.03.2010 - 21:46
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
And did you (anyone?) catch the MiHKaL & Sasha reference? I thought it was rather clever myself, haha.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
13.03.2010 - 00:52
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Lucas on 12.03.2010 at 21:46

And did you (anyone?) catch the MiHKaL & Sasha reference? I thought it was rather clever myself, haha.

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I don't know what the heck you're talking about what's MiHKaL & Sasha?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2010 - 00:59
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.03.2010 at 00:52

Written by Lucas on 12.03.2010 at 21:46

Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I don't know what the heck you're talking about what's MiHKaL & Sasha?

Search wiki on TiHKaL and PiHKaL and you'll know.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama

Hits total: 9203 | This month: 6