06. The Doctor Is Calling
07. I'll Be There
08. Wanderlust
09. Ecstasy
10. Seven
11. Time: The Beginning
12. Time: The End
13. Duke Nukem Theme [Japanese bonus]

Risk is crap. Here it is, I won't have to say it again. Dave Mustaine's jealousy of Metallica's succe$$ has blinded him. He has completely gone astray in his quest for radio broadcasting.
We all knew that the times of Megadeth playing speed-thrash were over since Countdown to Extinction, but hell, Youthanasia was a very good heavy metal album and Cryptic Writings contained great moments. Megadeth used to belong to the Big Four of Thrash, they don't have the right to release such a soup. You can expect that kind of album from a glam-rock band, but not from guys that have dominated metal genres all over the 90's.

Risk does not only suck, it is also soft and lifeless. Where are the fast riffs, the great guitar solos, the filthy voice we were used to? No aggressivity here, just flat songs and honeyed ballads. Yet it did not start too bad: "Insomnia" has a charming taste of India, "Prince of Darkness" owns a disturbing melody and "Crush'em" is heavy and (for once) aggressive. These songs are good ones but not really in the Megadeth spirit. But after that, everything collapses... "Breadline", "The Doctor Is Calling", "Wanderlust"... some songs you will never see played live, as they are not even worth being listened to. The award of the bad taste goes to "I'll Be There": a Bon Jovi-like ballad that sounds like the music of Friends (you know "I'll be theeeere foooor youuuuu"...). It makes me want to puke.

So my friends, hear my words of wisdom. The three commandments are:
1 Thou shalt stay away from Risk
2 Thou shalt never listen to Risk
3 Thou shalt not even look at Risk (you never know...)
If you alredy own this cd, maybe you should start wondering why all your friends have forsaken you. Give it to your worst enemy (I say give it, nobody is cruel enough to sell that, even to one's worst enemy)
The biggest failure of the century?

Highlights: Insomnia, Prince Of Darkness, Crush'Em

Written by Deadsoulman | 22.09.2003

Guest review by
omne metallum
Rating:
In the liner notes of Risk, Mustaine claims that had this album been released with some other band's name on it, it would have been a success; yeah, that's not really the case. The same album by another name would be just as bad.

While not the worst thing Megadeth would put out, it isn't that far away from being so. While the change of direction isn't great, what gives this album its reputation is that most songs are just boring. If you want one song to sum up what's wrong with this record, then give "The Doctor Is Calling" a spin, a plodding meandering track that goes nowhere slow. This is a recurring theme for most of the album; "Prince of Darkness" mis-steps while trying to be atmospheric and comes off as cheesy and boring, before eventually picking up the pace. "Wanderlust" does have a good chorus and ends on a high note, but it feels like a chore to hang in there to get to that point.

Read more ››
published 12.04.2020 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 56   Visited by: 509 users
28.07.2006 - 02:36
Mordack
Account deleted
If I wanted to listen to Pop and electronica, I wouldn't have thought of listening to Megadeth. Thank god Dave ditched this whole concept and came back strong with TSHF.
28.07.2006 - 02:41
Rating: 2
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is so bad is makes me want to laugh. This wasn't all Dave's fault though...he didn't write a lot of it.
01.08.2006 - 20:08
DLMokoma
Account deleted
I totally agree with this review, except for the highlights: I think that Crush 'Em sucks. Insomnia and Prince of Darkness are good though..
01.08.2006 - 22:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Breadline is possibly the gayest song I've heard in my life.
02.08.2006 - 04:02
Rating: 1
Thrash666
This is one of the worst albums ever.
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
01.09.2006 - 11:22
Rating: 8
Ahto
i like this album, maybe the reason is i like bon jovi
01.09.2006 - 12:16
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
I like Bon Jovi as well, but that album is just crap.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
01.09.2006 - 23:45
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Yeah, this album was pretty intolerable, but at least it's 10^10 times better than "St. Crapfest" err, I mean, "St. Anger" by Metallicopouta.
02.09.2006 - 12:03
krieg_metal
Account deleted
its a bad electronic-esquee album that, to be honest, doesent really even deserve 3 ^^ by far the worst album megadeth has produced
04.09.2006 - 01:36
Rating: 4
Mother_North
oh god i hated this album i am a big megadeth fan and i got so disapionted when i listened to this album
----
"i still can't imagine any of them dead. They live on; they are fixed on that far-off region called childhood, were nothing ever dies, not even oneself."
13.11.2006 - 19:11
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.08.2006 at 20:08

I totally agree with this review, except for the highlights: I think that Crush 'Em sucks. Insomnia and Prince of Darkness are good though..

I completely agree... Crush 'Em is the only really aggressive song of this album, but it's not a good one.
Insomnia is really a good song, however !
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
19.11.2006 - 05:13
Talvi
Insomnia is cool, but then...
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
09.04.2007 - 03:10
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Only good song is Prince of Darkess.

I think Dave was trying to "pull a Metallica" and completely change Megadeth's style so that they would be more mainstream and make more money lol, thank god it didn't work.
09.04.2007 - 21:16
Rating: 1
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I am actually going to review this album I think in a month or two. This review is right on, but he's being a LOT Nicer than what I'm going to be.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
10.05.2007 - 19:55
Megakiller
Account deleted
Mustaine took the Risk, I Like It. It´s not my fave one, i admit it, but what i like it´s that Mustaine has the balls to recorded it... swiming against everything, fans, non-fans, press, freaks, etc... Hell Yeah! This Man Is Completely Insane!
10 points for Risk and I will support the Mustaine´s Insanities ´till death.
11.05.2007 - 14:39
Shadowmaker
Account deleted
I like this album... not the best one - but IS good
14.05.2007 - 07:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Wow, what an absolutely dreadful review. Yes I admit this is Megadeths worst album, not that terrible though. For god sakes this review doesnt really explain anything, to put it kindly. and
Quote:
You can expect that kind of album from a glam-rock band,

I resent that.
Putting it softly this is not a good review.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.05.2007 - 06:04
R@tt!eH3@d
Account deleted
This album was not meant to be metal. I stil think its a great cd
06.10.2007 - 01:06
Rating: 5
Megadeth_Matt
needs work, thats all i have to say
----
THE MAN
10.11.2007 - 01:01
Dowi
Come on, it's a valid effort, I like this album. It's much better than any album of the new Metallica era.
27.12.2007 - 00:52
Rating: 10
Dominus
The Shooter
I LOVE THIS ALBUM!
02.01.2008 - 18:32
Rating: 3
Demonmayonnaise
I hate Risk! The title says it all... Dave Mustaine took a Risk and it bit him in the ass. I had trouble listening to the whole thing... I couldnt get passed the second song.
12.04.2008 - 16:12
Jonnz of Steel
I love this album, much more focused than halfassed attempts such as Cryptic Writings.
18.04.2008 - 05:32
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
@Dr. Rock: What are you talking about? Collin explained why it was bad, he gave examples of what it was missing and even scraped up some positives about it. I thought it was a pretty comprehensive review.

I do own the album but it sits in my cd rack (not my enemies' haha) making it look nice and full lol. Who cares though it only cost me a few bucks.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
20.04.2008 - 03:05
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Raiden on 18.04.2008 at 05:32

@Dr. Rock: What are you talking about? Collin explained why it was bad, he gave examples of what it was missing and even scraped up some positives about it. I thought it was a pretty comprehensive review.

I do own the album but it sits in my cd rack (not my enemies' haha) making it look nice and full lol. Who cares though it only cost me a few bucks.

I'll be honest man, this was not a comprehensive review, in fact extremely poor, yes it explained what was missing and what the reviewer expects from a megadeth record, but it barely touched on what the album actualy contained. That being said this reviewer writes pretty good reviews these days, I can only presume it must have been a very, very early review.
20.04.2008 - 13:47
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Written by Stuart on 20.04.2008 at 03:05

Written by Raiden on 18.04.2008 at 05:32

I'll be honest man, this was not a comprehensive review, in fact extremely poor, yes it explained what was missing and what the reviewer expects from a megadeth record, but it barely touched on what the album actualy contained. That being said this reviewer writes pretty good reviews these days, I can only presume it must have been a very, very early review.

Well what did you want to know about it that wasn't explained to you?
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
17.06.2008 - 04:03
megamegadethfan
Account deleted
The only reason Dave Mustaine wrote/created Risk was too prove he could make risks with his music. Sure it's not his most powerful cd but it's still pretty good. Crush 'Em is a good song, so is Inomnia, Prince of Darkness, and I'll be There makes me cry. I love this album. (And I dont like Bon Jovi nor do I like anything but metal) I'm a huge Megadeth fan and Dave's voice is amazing and even though its not speed metal or powerful, it shows a softer side to the heavy, war written band. Long live Megadeth.
25.02.2009 - 23:57
Rating: 7
Written by Dominus on 27.12.2007 at 00:52

I LOVE THIS ALBUM!

Me too!!! lol
27.02.2009 - 23:16
JohnDoe
Account deleted
I like this album; nevertheless i understand people's disappointment with it.
01.03.2009 - 15:54
terrorist
This is realy good album,especaly Prince of Darkness,very powerful song and the lyrics are so dark.But again it is more rock album than metal but Dave is great gutarist even if he is playing rock;)
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related

Hits total: 19131 | This month: 27