07. Shoot Me Again
08. Sweet Amber
09. The Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

Guest review by
The Silent Man
Rating:
Six long years after the release of ReLoad, Metallica come back on the scene to show their 8th studio album, St. Anger. Many of you have almost lost all the respect for this band since the release of the black album, many others hate them because of Load and ReLoad and some others have now lost every interest in their music. Actually, what can you all expect from the band who left its early amazing style to get fame and glory on MTV?

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (145)

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
Metallica's 2003 release, St. Anger, will most likely always be considered the low point of the bands discography. I'm not sure if I can completely agree with this. I personally believe Load and Reload are worse albums. Mind you, St. Anger is absolutely not a fantastic release. It rambles, has some bad tracks, and sometimes you wonder "what are they doing?" (listen to Hetfield's moans in Invisible Kid). But the album does have energy, something the band has had on about 3 tracks on the last 2 studio discs.

Read more ››
published 10.09.2007 | Comments (61)

So the biggest metal band on the planet is turning 30 this year.

As the story goes, back in 1981, some dude called James Hetfield answered a newspaper ad by a certain Lars Ulrich... and the legend was born. 30 years later, the success story that is Metallica still remains unequaled.

Happy 30th birthday, Metallica!

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 162   Visited by: 2632 users
19.06.2010 - 17:56
Rating: 8
Jay-WalKeR
Drum beat "Lars" this album is excellent.
16.07.2010 - 01:46
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Metallica with this album says: fuck you all, fuck you!!!! And i like that. Always Metallica fucking the people during all stages of Metallica, and they got it one more time with this record, really i love it.

And... I love St Anger, yeah, fuck you all. Great album, already they would like to most groups make a record like this.

Metallica always did what they have wanted. Up Metallica!.
16.07.2010 - 01:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Vikcen on 16.07.2010 at 01:46

Metallica with this album says: fuck all, fuck you!!!! and i like that. Always Metallica fucking the people during all stages of Metallica, and they got it one more time with this record, really i love it.

And... I love St Anger, yeah, fuck all. Great album, already they would like to most groups make a record like this.

Metallica always did what they have wanted. Up Metallica!.

----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 11:08
Rating: 3
vezzy
Stallmanite
Lol, I'm laughing to death looking at people defending St. Anger. Come on people, it isn't good in any way. It gets to you, but musically...
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
16.07.2010 - 14:43
Vikcen
Metálico
I laugh more with you, believe me .
16.07.2010 - 14:58
Warman
Erotic Stains
I have no idea what I would think about this album if it came a couple of years later. "St. Anger" came right during the time when I really started "evolve" into a metalhead. I didn't listen to many bands at that time. Maybe I would think otherwise if it was released today?

Or not, I am a die-hard Metallica fanboy.
----
16.07.2010 - 15:23
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Rating 9 for St Anger?? then what rating should we have for RTL or MOP - 15?
16.07.2010 - 15:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 15:23

If it was possible, so yes.
----
16.07.2010 - 15:31
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Warman on 16.07.2010 at 15:25

Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 15:23

If it was possible, so yes.

RtL > MoP

Still, a 9 for St. Anger is insane.
----
16.07.2010 - 15:34
JohnDoe
Account deleted
9 means brilliant, right? close to masterpiece(10). St Anger is nowhere near that. It's so far, it's just a freaking dot...
16.07.2010 - 15:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 15:34

9 means brilliant, right? close to masterpiece(10). St Anger is nowhere near that. It's so far, it's just a freaking dot...

Shhh. Be careful, Metallica fanboys are sensitive. << >>
----
16.07.2010 - 15:57
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 16.07.2010 at 15:40

Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 15:34

Shhh. Be careful, Metallica fanboys are sensitive. << >>

oh well...

I love Load, never ashamed to admit it but I wouldn't rate it a 9; maybe a 7.5. So Reload which I consider weaker than Load would be a 6. I honestly don't know how to rate St Anger since I like only one song from it - The Unnamed Feeling. A 1.1?
16.07.2010 - 16:57
Vikcen
Metálico
Even for the people terribly frustrated is simple to understand : for you it is not a brilliant record, and for me yes... and Metallica says: fuck you, do you agree now?

Warning, warning, people with frustrated and irritated ass .
16.07.2010 - 17:08
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Vikcen on 16.07.2010 at 16:57

Even for the people terribly frustrated is simple to understand : for you it is not a brilliant record, and for me yes... and Metallica says: fuck you, do you agree now?

well, please enlighten us bashers, what's so brilliant about St Anger because apparently I fail to see its brilliance.
16.07.2010 - 17:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
St. Anger is of course brilliant. Brilliantly crap it is.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.07.2010 - 17:23
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.07.2010 at 17:09

St. Anger is of course brilliant. Brilliantly crap it is.

The "adverb euphemism/swear" is so often used, but in this case, it's completely true.
----
16.07.2010 - 17:39
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 17:08

well, please enlighten us bashers, what's so brilliant about St Anger because apparently I fail to see its brilliance.

I'm sure if we changed the name of Metallica by another name, many people would appreciate much more this album. I dont know what is your rating or, what is your thought about St Anger exactly, the only thing that i can say you, is that: listen this record more times, maybe you like it more, without prejudices (if you have them, i dont know, but many times we have, and do not know it)
16.07.2010 - 17:49
Vikcen
Metálico
Fucking brilliant, or Brilliantly Cabrón
16.07.2010 - 17:58
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vikcen on 16.07.2010 at 17:39

Written by Guest on 16.07.2010 at 17:08

I'm sure if we changed the name of Metallica by another name, many people would appreciate much more this album. I dont know what is your rating or, what is your thought about St Anger exactly, the only thing that i can say you, is that: listen this record more times, maybe you like it more, without prejudices (if you have them, i dont know, but many times we have, and do not know it)

People say that ALL THE TIME. Thing is, if it wasn't for the Metallica name, nobody would care about it. Plus, I don't see how it's good. Over-repetitive riffs, meaningless lyrics (no, it doesn't help convey emotion), also the "KILL KILL KILL" part in "All Within My Hands" is one of the most meaningless parts in a metal song.
----
16.07.2010 - 18:07
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by vikingman369 on 21.12.2009 at 00:13

One thing I've seen on metalstorm a lot and in the metal-community in general is a slow move towards a more pop-music attitude: namely, that a metal band HAS to play what the fans like ALL the time on EVERY record/cd or they're sell-outs. Metallica has definitely suffered the ire of the metal-community, who wish that they could play Master of Puppets-style music and nothing else.

Along with ReLoad, ...And Justice For All, Ride the Lightning and I Disappear, St. Anger was one of the first Metallica material I was first introduced to. Back then, I hated it because everyone else hated it, but now I have changed my view on this album.

Knowing what went on during the production of this album gives me an even greater respect for the band. Having gone through the shit Metallica did and survived more or less intact is something that not even the greatest bands that are mutually here can speak of.

As for the album itself, it is completely different than 80s or 90s Metallica. Yes, the guitars are tuned down, but so are those of Black Label Society and yet no one hates them. Yes, there are no solos, but black metal guitarists don't play solos either and yet no one hates them. Yes, you can hear the snare pounding out the fury of this angry album, but, honestly, where would all the rage and strength of this album be if the snare sounded like a wet noodle hitting a paper bag?

If Metallica REALLY played Master of Puppets-style music throughout their entire career, the band would have broken up because Lars Ulrich's ego (the same one which led the charge against Napster) would have forced his way or the "high way" had the others insisted on guitar solos and having the drums keep the time of the songs. Yes, St. Anger will never be anything like the old albums, but a REAL fan is fanatically loyal, and from what I've read, none of the reviewers are REAL fans of Metallica, they're just fans of popular metal like master of puppets.

wow, I disagree to most of the things written here.

I for one like change, I would never have liked Metallica to create an eternal MOP, that would have been boring indeed. To me their only successful change was with Justice and Load. Back in 1991, I for one was kinda disappointed with the Black album (although i would never say it's a weak album), the album lacked the energy this band used to have. Now that they became superstars after 1991, they started making videos, you could often see them in (E)M(P)T(Y)V. The videos to promote the black album were OK, but I cringed for those for Load. They had the opposite effect for me - not wishing to buy the album. I bought it anyway after I listened to it at a friend's house a year later after the album appeared (in 1997 anyway). I thought it was more than OK. I was surprised if not shocked at the new sound, but I take albums for what they each have to offer. Now ReLoad were leftovers from Load plus some new songs. I bought the album cause I liked Load, I could see no damage in buying ReLoad. For me, Reload was an album of leftovers indeed, it was a chance for the band to cash even more on the success of Load (surprisingly). New videos, less cringe worthy than the ones for Load anyway. But the album was frustratingly patchy for me, some good songs (Fuel, Better than You, Where the wild things are, Fixxer, Carpe Diem Baby, Bad Seed, Attitude), the rest was uninteresting. So far so good. Here comes the covers album. Was that necessary? Not quite, I bought the album, listened to it, patchy again, but nevermind that. Here comes 1999 and Metallica releases S&M. Rather interesting, two surprisingly good new songs for me - there's hope I thought, then comes I disappear which I really enjoyed, new hope! 2001 they announce a new album to come soon. Here comes 2003 and what I see on my TV - Metallica's new video for St Anger. Fuck, my TV is mono I thought, I can't hear Hammett. There was nothing wrong with my TV, cause there were no solos. OK... I bought the album, again. So nobody can accuse me of not being loyal to this band. I bought Death magnetic as well.

I don't even know where to start complaining about St Anger? Is it the production? Well, not quite, it's meant to be rough cause the album was (meant to be) angry. Ok then. Was it the drumming? Not quite, they were OK. What then? Well, everything was rushed once Hetfield got back with the band, in the studio. I guess they had to meet some deadline, since the album was already promised two years earlier. The album has a few good ideas, uncompleted IMHO, unfinished. At least that's what I felt when i was listened to the album. Hetfield's vocal performance was dreadful to me; he shouts, yells, but I don't feel any anger, i just hear someone yelling, tht's all. Where is Mr Hammet? I don't know.

The documentary Some Kind Of Monster was another dreadful experience for me; I gave up watching at some point, Metallice becoming divas. There is turmoil in a lot of people's lives, but I for one could not empathise with their problems frankly speaking. To me, especially Ulrich and Hetfield were two persons who had communication prblems, failing to find a solution/compromise. I can see that in my everyday life. What's the big deal? People battling alcoholism? I saw that as well. It's awfully hard, i know but still...

So, excuse the subjectivity, I hope you don't get bored reading my ramblings.
16.07.2010 - 21:06
Vikcen
Metálico
It has always been the same story, all Metallica albums are different, except the Reload, for me the worst, and an absolute disappointment, and it is precisely because the record is the most similar at the previous album (Load). But this is Metallica, a band that can do anything and always with high quality, because they (like it or not) have proven they are great composers above all, so many great songs (yes, including The unnamed feeling ), their albums are so different, and so unfairly criticized... all of this is what precisely makes great at Metallica. Fortunately, I have the luck that I love her albums, for me are very good and I like them, leaving aside the style of the album, and I'm someone who says that the best albums for me are ...And Justice for all and Master of puppets.

They dont understand how you can put a 9 or 10 rating, and I can not understand how this disc is in the Bottom 20 albums of all time (3) Honestly, the album is closer to nine rating, so I think that you have many prejudices with Metallica, unfortunately because the Master of puppets is one of the best albums in history, and you can see many people frustrated, Metallica is much more than a thrash metal band, else not would be Metallica, probably the best metal band of all time.

Liberates the mind, if really you like Metallica.
16.07.2010 - 21:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Production =/= high quality.

Whatever though, I'm still mesmerized by the sudden resurrection of St. Anger as a topic to discuss. If you like it, we can't stop you.
----
16.07.2010 - 22:40
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Vikcen on 16.07.2010 at 21:06

It has always been the same story, all Metallica albums are different, except the Reload, for me the worst, and an absolute disappointment, and it is precisely because the record is the most similar at the previous album (Load). But this is Metallica, a band that can do anything and always with high quality, because they (like it or not) have proven they are great composers above all, so many great songs (yes, including The unnamed feeling ), their albums are so different, and so unfairly criticized... all of this is what precisely makes great at Metallica. Fortunately, I have the luck that I love her albums, for me are very good and I like them, leaving aside the style of the album, and I'm someone who says that the best albums for me are ...And Justice for all and Master of puppets.

They dont understand how you can put a 9 or 10 rating, and I can not understand how this disc is in the Bottom 20 albums of all time (3) Honestly, the album is closer to nine rating, so I think that you have many prejudices with Metallica, unfortunately because the Master of puppets is one of the best albums in history, and you can see many people frustrated, Metallica is much more than a thrash metal band, else not would be Metallica, probably the best metal band of all time.

Liberates the mind, if really you like Metallica.

What do you mean I have prejudices against Metallica? Why? Just because I don't like some of their music? But that's the way it is, one cannot like evrything; I for one don't feel anything when I listen to St Anger (except The Unnamed Feeling which I like). It's uninteresting to me, the vocals don't satisfy me, I miss that second guitar, what is Kirk doing exactly on this album? Honestly?!

I just don't understand listeners that put Master... and St Anger as equals. It's ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.
19.07.2010 - 08:58
Rating: 4
Javier_000
This album was the last metallica's chance to recover the sense before the black album.
Just like many other people can think...
Surely what we can hear in this album is not the real metallica. hmhm... could be a think of many people wich were used to the Master of Puppets or Kill 'em All albums...

On the other hand...
This album coulda bring a hand to people to check out what metallica really was. I wonder what would feel someone who gets to listens Metallica for first time with this album and then checks out some Master of Puppets and Kill 'em All albums...
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
31.07.2010 - 00:31
Rating: 1
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Pure Shit, i puke whenever i listen to a portion of any of its tracks
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
13.08.2010 - 08:57
Rating: 7
Brad-Sabbath
To be honest, i have never understood the general dislike for this album, i know its not a brilliant album, though I'd have to say its a generally good solid album and imo better than Death Magnetic, Load and possibly Reload
13.08.2010 - 15:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Brad-Sabbath on 13.08.2010 at 08:57

To be honest, i have never understood the general dislike for this album, i know its not a brilliant album, though I'd have to say its a generally good solid album and imo better than Death Magnetic, Load and possibly Reload

Oh hell no. Though I dislike DM, it's still far better than St. Anger is.
----
14.08.2010 - 16:24
RavenKing
Written by vezzy on 13.08.2010 at 15:57

Agreed. I dislike both albums but "Death Magnetic" is not as horrible as "St Anger", imo.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
14.08.2010 - 16:29
Perseverance
Account deleted
Written by RavenKing on 14.08.2010 at 16:24

Written by vezzy on 13.08.2010 at 15:57

Agreed. I dislike both albums but "Death Magnetic" is not as horrible as "St Anger", imo.

Fuk Metallica in general.
14.08.2010 - 16:33
RavenKing
Written by Guest on 14.08.2010 at 16:29

Fuk Metallica in general.

I think I know where you're coming from. I never really liked Metallica myself. lol
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody

Hits total: 40936 | This month: 82