07. Shoot Me Again
08. Sweet Amber
09. The Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

Guest review by
The Silent Man
Rating:
Six long years after the release of ReLoad, Metallica come back on the scene to show their 8th studio album, St. Anger. Many of you have almost lost all the respect for this band since the release of the black album, many others hate them because of Load and ReLoad and some others have now lost every interest in their music. Actually, what can you all expect from the band who left its early amazing style to get fame and glory on MTV?

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (145)

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
Metallica's 2003 release, St. Anger, will most likely always be considered the low point of the bands discography. I'm not sure if I can completely agree with this. I personally believe Load and Reload are worse albums. Mind you, St. Anger is absolutely not a fantastic release. It rambles, has some bad tracks, and sometimes you wonder "what are they doing?" (listen to Hetfield's moans in Invisible Kid). But the album does have energy, something the band has had on about 3 tracks on the last 2 studio discs.

Read more ››
published 10.09.2007 | Comments (61)

So the biggest metal band on the planet is turning 30 this year.

As the story goes, back in 1981, some dude called James Hetfield answered a newspaper ad by a certain Lars Ulrich... and the legend was born. 30 years later, the success story that is Metallica still remains unequaled.

Happy 30th birthday, Metallica!

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 6

Comments: 162   Visited by: 2632 users
02.03.2012 - 19:56
Rating: 7
Pelagial

Thanks to LULU because now st anger is not the worst album of metallica
10.03.2012 - 23:49
Rating: 2
mrgod

Written by Pelagial on 02.03.2012 at 19:56

Thanks to LULU because now st anger is not the worst album of metallica

hahaha st anger is still worst for me, because i haven't listen lulu yet and i don't think listen
22.07.2012 - 18:32
Rating: 8
FinnishSammich

Definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. Biggest problem is that some of the songs are too long for an alternative metal release.
09.09.2012 - 01:43
Rating: 4
Angry Chair

I very nearly cut my ears off whilst listening to this, the drums sound horrible and every time I try and listen to this album I cant stop myself from fixating on the drums.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
12.11.2012 - 23:12
Rating: 3
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
It's funny how people can really like an album one day, and when they go back to it years later, they realize how stupid they were in thinking so. That was indeed the case for me, fuck this piece of shit. This is the butt of all jokes related to bad albums for a reason. James' vocals sound laughably horrific. lol
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
24.12.2012 - 22:14
Maco
Pvt Funderground
I enjoyed this shit that everybody hates
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
14.01.2013 - 14:53
Erik M.

I rarely judge an album by its lyrics, but the lyrics are so ridiculously bad I can't listen to this album anymore. Songs like "Invisible Kid" and "Sweet Amber" are amongst the worst tracks I've heard, not just by Metallica. Frantic is a good song at least, and St. Anger isn't bad either.

Overall by far the worst album in their discography by a long shot (haven't heard everything though). I rarely hand out 4/10 ratings, but this doesn't deserve anything higher.
14.01.2013 - 14:56
Erik M.

Written by CobiWan1993 on 12.11.2012 at 23:12

It's funny how people can really like an album one day, and when they go back to it years later, they realize how stupid they were in thinking so. That was indeed the case for me, fuck this piece of shit. This is the butt of all jokes related to bad albums for a reason. James' vocals sound laughably horrific. lol

I totally agree. It was my first Metallica album when I bought it in 2003. Back then I knew basically nothing about metal, so it's not that strange I liked the album. The more I listened to it years after, the more I began to dislike it. And now I cannot even listen to it, because it's just a waste of time to listen to this rubbish when there's so much great music I can listen to.
21.03.2013 - 20:49
Treznor

I love this album, power, energy, anger, it's great.

Sorry haters.

St. Anger Rules!
23.05.2013 - 18:11
Rating: 1
Himedal

I give it 1 only because there is no 0. I would really love to give LuLu -10 though.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
03.11.2013 - 06:14
Lião
Account deleted
It's not THAT bad! Actually, the title track is enjoyable and there's few interesting moments in Dirt Window and Invisible Kid.
15.11.2013 - 20:30
Nemo Atkins

There was a good idea behind St Anger (get back to Metallica's metal roots while also throwing in some punk cues), but I think the way it was executed was the thing that really let it down. The production is worse than you'd get on a demo (and those aren't MEANT to sound polished) and most of the songwriting is weak (I like "Frantic" and the title track, but the rest of the album...I don't talk about it).

If they'd thought about the production more and written the songs better, this might have been a good album. But, judging it by what it is and not what it isn't...yeah, it's pretty bad. It's not the worst thing you can listen to, but that doesn't mean it's a good album either.
18.02.2014 - 03:14
Rating: 3
Rulatore

Written by Guest on 13.11.2011 at 21:24

Now that Lulu's created a new low for Metallica, I think I might listen to this.

Was thinking about it and I'm listening to it right now for the first time

Let's see how utterly bad it can be

Edit: It's bad, fuck.
28.04.2014 - 00:43
Toxik

Written by deadone on 18.02.2014 at 03:30

There's people out there that like this?!?

I like. It's a album full of rage with some fantastic riff's
28.04.2014 - 00:55
Toxik

Written by Vikcen on 16.07.2010 at 21:06

It has always been the same story, all Metallica albums are different, except the Reload, for me the worst, and an absolute disappointment, and it is precisely because the record is the most similar at the previous album (Load). But this is Metallica, a band that can do anything and always with high quality, because they (like it or not) have proven they are great composers above all, so many great songs (yes, including The unnamed feeling ), their albums are so different, and so unfairly criticized... all of this is what precisely makes great at Metallica. Fortunately, I have the luck that I love her albums, for me are very good and I like them, leaving aside the style of the album, and I'm someone who says that the best albums for me are ...And Justice for all and Master of puppets.

They dont understand how you can put a 9 or 10 rating, and I can not understand how this disc is in the Bottom 20 albums of all time (3) Honestly, the album is closer to nine rating, so I think that you have many prejudices with Metallica, unfortunately because the Master of puppets is one of the best albums in history, and you can see many people frustrated, Metallica is much more than a thrash metal band, else not would be Metallica, probably the best metal band of all time.

Liberates the mind, if really you like Metallica.

Wow finally someone who understands me
01.05.2014 - 15:21
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Toxik on 28.04.2014 at 00:55

It has always been the same story, all Metallica albums are different, except the Reload, for me the worst, and an absolute disappointment, and it is precisely because the record is the most similar at the previous album (Load). But this is Metallica, a band that can do anything and always with high quality, because they (like it or not) have proven they are great composers above all, so many great songs (yes, including The unnamed feeling ), their albums are so different, and so unfairly criticized... all of this is what precisely makes great at Metallica. Fortunately, I have the luck that I love her albums, for me are very good and I like them, leaving aside the style of the album, and I'm someone who says that the best albums for me are ...And Justice for all and Master of puppets.

They dont understand how you can put a 9 or 10 rating, and I can not understand how this disc is in the Bottom 20 albums of all time (3) Honestly, the album is closer to nine rating, so I think that you have many prejudices with Metallica, unfortunately because the Master of puppets is one of the best albums in history, and you can see many people frustrated, Metallica is much more than a thrash metal band, else not would be Metallica, probably the best metal band of all time.

In this site maybe, i know a lot of people of my environment around me, who really like this álbum very much. As you said, an album very enjoyable, with nice riffs and rage, with the quality Made in Metallica .
05.05.2014 - 00:47
Toxik

Written by Vikcen on 01.05.2014 at 15:21

Written by Toxik on 28.04.2014 at 00:55

In this site maybe, i know a lot of people of my environment around me, who really like this álbum very much. As you said, an album very enjoyable, with nice riffs and rage, with the quality Made in Metallica .

Ok it dosen't have solos and the drums are awful but who cares ? It was a delicate moment to the band
05.05.2014 - 02:40
raveneffect

Written by Toxik on 05.05.2014 at 00:47

Ok it dosen't have solos and the drums are awful but who cares ? It was a delicate moment to the band

that, instead of postponing the tappings of the album, just went with it anyway and made this big pile of Rhyno shit.
05.05.2014 - 08:08
Lit.
Account deleted
Haha. Wow. I'm halfway through my first ever time listening to it, and I already like it better than the sterile and lifeless Death Magnetic and the poppy, redundant radio-rock of the Black Album. Nice and raw energy with riffs galore and steel drums that sound like a pissed-off dude banging on some trash-cans ala Slipknot-style, but it's still catchy at points.

It's certainly not 8 or 9 quality nor on level of Metallica's first couple of albums, and it's got moments that make even me cringe, but it's sure as hell not their worse. I'd give it a 6.5 or a solid 7. The low scores have got to be fanboys uber-sore at the stylistic change, but that can't be it because the adequate to sub-adequate Load twins have a higher score, as does the Black Album.
06.05.2014 - 05:30
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 05.05.2014 at 08:08

Haha. Wow. I'm halfway through my first ever time listening to it, and I already like it better than the sterile and lifeless Death Magnetic and the poppy, redundant radio-rock of the Black Album. Nice and raw energy with riffs galore and steel drums that sound like a pissed-off dude banging on some trash-cans ala Slipknot-style, but it's still catchy at points.

It's certainly not 8 or 9 quality nor on level of Metallica's first couple of albums, and it's got moments that make even me cringe, but it's sure as hell not their worse. I'd give it a 6.5 or a solid 7. The low scores have got to be fanboys uber-sore at the stylistic change, but that can't be it because the adequate to sub-adequate Load twins have a higher score, as does the Black Album.

C'mon - you rate this better than the "Black Album"? Man, you are in a minority, for sure.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
06.05.2014 - 11:20
raveneffect

Its just his opinion. people tend to overreact to that
07.05.2014 - 11:18
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by raveneffect on 06.05.2014 at 11:20

Like you for example
07.05.2014 - 13:45
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by raveneffect on 06.05.2014 at 11:20

Do you mean they tend to overreact to people, in general, having an opinion? Or just the opinion of Lit.?
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
07.05.2014 - 16:14
raveneffect

Written by Vikcen on 07.05.2014 at 11:18

Like you for example

Not really. I mean, my opinion is that St. Anger is a bad album but I dont usually overreact to other peoples p.o.v.
I'm no hater nor a fanboy, I just dont accept the fact that some defenders use the "The band were going through some big personal problems" card as an excuse to the somehow poor sound and quality of it (again, this is just my opinion). Thats not a valid Argument. If they had personal problems, they should postpone the production of the album, like any band would.

Written by Ace Frawley on 07.05.2014 at 13:45

Do you mean they tend to overreact to people, in general, having an opinion? Or just the opinion of Lit.?

I mean that people tend to overreact to other people's opinion, and in some cases, there are a few which coments will create a discussion almost everytime (Lit. being one of them).
07.05.2014 - 18:39
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I guess Lit listening to this record after a while and he instantly connects to it. You know that feeling, where you hated your toy worse than scum and suddenly after 6 to 7 yrs, you see it and feel good about it. That's where Lit is doing his swimming.

Well, it's his opinion. Can't argue over that.
07.05.2014 - 21:58
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.05.2014 at 18:39

I guess Lit listening to this record after a while and he instantly connects to it. You know that feeling, where you hated your toy worse than scum and suddenly after 6 to 7 yrs, you see it and feel good about it. That's where Lit is doing his swimming.

Well, it's his opinion. Can't argue over that.

No, I clearly said this is my first time listening to it ever.

But thank you.
15.05.2014 - 10:41
Sang Dalang Abu

Because fuck you St.Anger
15.05.2014 - 11:08
Rating: 6
theFIST

Written by Ace Frawley on 06.05.2014 at 05:30

Written by Guest on 05.05.2014 at 08:08

C'mon - you rate this better than the "Black Album"? Man, you are in a minority, for sure.

other than the Loads i"d rate every Metallica album higher than their self titled
to me St Anger is a major improvement over the albums before it, because it has what the name suggests
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
17.05.2014 - 12:08
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The only album I might place St. Anger above, is Reload, but even that is a close run thing...
18.05.2014 - 19:42
JD
Account deleted
I just gave it a higher rating.

Every year it grows a little bit more.

I started with 5/10..

Intresting............

Hits total: 40918 | This month: 64