07. Shoot Me Again
08. Sweet Amber
09. The Unnamed Feeling
10. Purify
11. All Within My Hands

Guest review by
The Silent Man
Rating:
Six long years after the release of ReLoad, Metallica come back on the scene to show their 8th studio album, St. Anger. Many of you have almost lost all the respect for this band since the release of the black album, many others hate them because of Load and ReLoad and some others have now lost every interest in their music. Actually, what can you all expect from the band who left its early amazing style to get fame and glory on MTV?

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (145)

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
Metallica's 2003 release, St. Anger, will most likely always be considered the low point of the bands discography. I'm not sure if I can completely agree with this. I personally believe Load and Reload are worse albums. Mind you, St. Anger is absolutely not a fantastic release. It rambles, has some bad tracks, and sometimes you wonder "what are they doing?" (listen to Hetfield's moans in Invisible Kid). But the album does have energy, something the band has had on about 3 tracks on the last 2 studio discs.

Read more ››
published 10.09.2007 | Comments (61)

So the biggest metal band on the planet is turning 30 this year.

As the story goes, back in 1981, some dude called James Hetfield answered a newspaper ad by a certain Lars Ulrich... and the legend was born. 30 years later, the success story that is Metallica still remains unequaled.

Happy 30th birthday, Metallica!

Thryce's picks | More picks ››

Found in 36 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 162   Visited by: 2632 users
02.06.2014 - 07:11
Rating: 6
reload3591
Gave my St. Anger a +2 after listening to Lulu.
21.10.2014 - 20:46
Rating: 8
Toxik
Written by raveneffect on 05.05.2014 at 02:40

Written by Toxik on 05.05.2014 at 00:47

Ok it dosen't have solos and the drums are awful but who cares ? It was a delicate moment to the band

that, instead of postponing the tappings of the album, just went with it anyway and made this big pile of Rhyno shit.

Yeah... your right i let my "metallica fanboy" talk
26.10.2014 - 22:15
Rating: 7
metalwolf666
You know, I actually don't hate this album. I think a lot of the songs on it are quite enjoyable, like Frantic, Shoot Me Again and Some Kind of Monster. If you don't look at this album as heavy metal but as industrial metal, it becomes more tolerable.
27.10.2014 - 03:49
Lit.
Account deleted
Not that it sounds like any form of industrial metal anyway and anyone who thinks so is loco in the coco.
13.01.2015 - 18:04
Big-Al
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCiNPgoGa6M#t=30
----

I drink moosepiss
18.01.2015 - 06:26
Rating: 9
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Big-Al on 13.01.2015 at 18:04

Better this on Stereo =)

19.01.2015 - 06:52
Rating: 5
Titan1930
I always thought back on years reload was the worst album from metallica, but then they released this thing awful... i miss old metallica days even load is better than this shit
20.01.2015 - 09:15
Big-Al
Written by Vikcen on 18.01.2015 at 06:26

Written by Big-Al on 13.01.2015 at 18:04

Better this on Stereo =)

thank you for sorting the link
----

I drink moosepiss
16.08.2015 - 18:30
Rating: 4
Hellcult
It makes me laugh when i see it on 65th place of ''Most popular albums of all time'' !!?? if We to change it to Worst albums of all time than yes i would agree.
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
06.10.2015 - 21:16
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by Hellcult on 16.08.2015 at 18:30

It makes me laugh when i see it on 65th place of ''Most popular albums of all time'' !!?? if We to change it to Worst albums of all time than yes i would agree.

That's the reason I am on here, number 65!? You've got to be kidding me.
06.10.2015 - 21:45
Zap
What's so surprising? Metallica is a popular band, everyone has (heard) this album. Hence it's popular on MS since a lot of people add it to their collection.
31.10.2015 - 03:22
Legmeister
This is actually good album. Most people just jump on the bandwagon and immediately condemn it without even properly listening to it. It is Metallica's worst album but is by no means bad
13.12.2015 - 21:07
Rating: 8
Andrew_Deer
None,really
This is the first album I actually like as a whole, until now I liked only songs. Snare without snares, cool move imo.
25.10.2016 - 18:28
Rating: 3
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Legend has it that a hobo is still searching for his trash cans which mysteriously disappeared in 2003... where they went nobody knows...

Seriously though this album would get a 5 (or maybe even a 6) if it weren't for that trash can sounding drumkit. Other then that I wish this album had some guitar solos.

This might seem like a harsh score but that's only because I know Metallica can do so much better than this. Honestly there is no way I can give this album more than what I gave it. Because that would be unfair towards the excellent albums they made in the past.

I feel like this would have been a mediocre/average record if it weren't for the awful production.
16.11.2016 - 18:49
Metalheart35
Account deleted
First, i worship to their first records, i love the band. It seems, it is uncool to like the band for their records after the Black Album. I give a shit to that, i still love the band, their old stuff.
But this album is a hit into the face of every Metallica-fan. Angry, wild - yes! But so boring and the sound is so bothersome! It has nothing to do with their masterpieces in the 80's...

Many people confuse Thrash with Trash & write and spell it wrong... ...But this is really Trash Metal!

Can't give a voting, because i was not able to listen to the whole album. Tried it some times to give it another chance, but after at most the half album, i was angry or fall almost asleep... Perhaps i try again to listen to it after some years, to give it a rating.

That's what i call "Trash Metal", total disappointment!

31.01.2018 - 07:47
Tatsella
Fangirl
Hate me but when I'm really angry I listening to Frantic/St. Anger and feel good. Don't care about other songs though
04.02.2018 - 01:38
Mauricio5555
Written by reload3591 on 02.06.2014 at 07:11

Gave my St. Anger a +2 after listening to Lulu.

Lulu isn't a Metallica album, is a Lou Reed album, with Metallica doing things that aren't they!!
06.02.2018 - 04:14
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
FRANTIC TIC TIC TOC
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.09.2018 - 20:41
VIG
Account deleted
I listened to a few tracks the other day, and yes, it is kind of bad, but honestly I think I have heard much worse things.
03.09.2018 - 21:05
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I absolutely don't find the sound and production an issue at all and really do like the title track and the opener. The main problem is that the songwriting runs out of ideas pretty quickly. If this was at an ep length, it would be much more listenable.

Some Kind of Monster in particular is one of their worst tracks ever.
13.09.2018 - 13:27
nonZero
Underrated I think. Some good riffs and interesting lyrics, and the snare is nowhere near as bad as it is made out to be.

Not a great album, a bit overlong and repetitive in parts, but some songs are worth relistening to.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
05.01.2019 - 20:40
Rating: 1
Maasai Mara
Metalheads and Metallica are like a woman who keeps going back to her abusive husband hoping he will change. This album rivals Lulu on the nonsensical lyrics department. True to their word, they have forced us to keep shooting them yet they refuse to die and get out of our heads and we don't have an answer.

Talking about music on any Metallica album after 1984 is a waste of breath. This debuted at #1 on the billboard top 200 and sold 2 million copies and that is all that matters other than FRANTIC TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
06.10.2019 - 03:13
Metal Rasputin
You know, folks... I tried. I have tried to listen to this album for god knows how many times and try to find something, SOMETHING good or interesting to really get into, but nothing comes out of it. Maybe there's one or two riffs that kinda work, but otherwise it's just one a very bad nu metal album.

If I really force myself to say anything positive about this thing, then I'm happy that they at least tried something new and different. It didn't work out at all, but they at least tried. And so did I.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
10.01.2020 - 23:39
JoHn Doe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-ZfLDfoJE

I didn't know a band called Saints Anger(from Germany) existed. And they are fine. No better place to mention then than here in this thread.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
17.01.2020 - 22:40
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Still better than the Black Album.
17.01.2020 - 23:57
Redel
Written by Guest on 17.01.2020 at 22:40

This made my day.
21.01.2020 - 01:52
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Written by Redel on 17.01.2020 at 23:57

This made my day.

Glad to hear, but I wasn't joking. Black Album is utter doo-doo.
21.01.2020 - 10:13
JoHn Doe
Written by Guest on 21.01.2020 at 01:52

This made my day.

Glad to hear, but I wasn't joking. Black Album is utter doo-doo.

I'm afraid a claim like yours needs an explanation.
The black album is not a great album, but it's definitely not a bad album. It was a disappointment for me, a teenager then, when it came out, it was rather shocking to see them soften their sound like that. The album was huge and they made quite a few videos you could not escape back then. I also love the production, hard to believe St Anger is also produced by Bob Rock.

St Anger sounds like a contractual obligation (after all Metallica was promising new music in 2001 but everyone knows the story...), the songs on it sound rushed to me, repetitive, too long, Hetfield gives in my opinion his worst vocal performance and the lyrics are a bit cringy as well. So St Anger to me is an unlistenable mess.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
21.01.2020 - 16:39
tominator
At best deranged
Contributor
Written by JoHn Doe on 21.01.2020 at 10:13

St Anger sounds like a contractual obligation (after all Metallica was promising new music in 2001 but everyone knows the story...), the songs on it sound rushed to me, repetitive, too long, Hetfield gives in my opinion his worst vocal performance and the lyrics are a bit cringy as well. So St Anger to me is an unlistenable mess.

I totally agree with your sentiment.

Honestly, the singer on the re-recording version of this album (which was posted here before) does a better job. He sounds more like James Hetfield than James himself on St. Anger.
21.01.2020 - 22:14
Redel
Written by Guest on 21.01.2020 at 01:52

This made my day.

Glad to hear, but I wasn't joking.

Thats what made your statement so entertaining.

For me, the Black Album is one of the best albums in the history of metal, have it at rank 193 in my list of all-time favourites, equals an 8.0 -- regardless of it not being thrash metal, it being a huge disappointment at the time, it having become too popular, it symbolising their sell out, we know it all.... , still.

St. Anger on the contrary IMO is one of the, if not the single, most disgusting albums in the history of metal.

Hits total: 40952 | This month: 98