09. Of Wolf And Man
10. The God That Failed
11. My Friend Of Misery
12. The Struggle Within
13. So What [Anti-Nowhere League cover] [Japanese bonus]

Guest review by
AnGina--
Rating:
Even though Metallica became more known to a wider audience in 1986 with the release of Master of Puppets, "The Black Album" (released in 1991) however, was the biggest break point for Metallica. It was praised by reviewers and musicians, it stunned many fans then and also now. With the "Black Album" their old thrashy sound was abandoned and Metallica was literally shot into superstardom. With commercial hits such as "Enter Sandman" and the widely known "Nothing Else Matters", Metallica's music became more and more accessible to radio stations and television. But as I said, I still believe it's a "must have". "The Black Album" was major break point in the rock music business and the influence of it and Metallica in general is just impossible not to notice. Not only does it differ musically from the previous four releases, this album is also lyrically much more personal and therefore occasionally softer. Still, Metallica hasn't lost their touch and the aggressive guitar sound is still there.

Read more ››
published 07.10.2006 | Comments (53)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Like far too many people in this world, I was largely introduced to Metallica by their self-titled album, fueled by the super mega platinum #1 smash hit single "Enter Sandman." In fact, Metallica, known colloquially as "The Black Album" for its presumably Spinal Tap-inspired artwork, was, in fact, one of the first Metal albums that really resonated with me and warranted repeated listens. Even so, I cannot confess to having much of a sentimental connection with this album, because, after exploring the wide world of heavy metal and acquainting myself with REAL Metallica, it has become clear to me that this album is nothing special.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2012 | Comments (20)

Found in 106 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 6

Comments: 153   Visited by: 2511 users
29.11.2011 - 05:08
JÄY
Metal slave
I think Troy was onto something with the whole "old crowd, new crowd" thing because I see it the same way.
29.11.2011 - 05:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The problem is the new crowd tries to redefine music whereas it's aleadu set in its sound and ways.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.11.2011 - 06:04
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Opinions on this matter will forever change Marcel, so long as metal continues to evolve. Like I said, I'm already prepared to hear the new crowd when I'm 40 telling me my favorite black metal albums aren't black metal anymore because of how the music will likely progress. In either case I don't think it's wrong to say this is heavy metal or hard rock - hell, I set up the styles on Metallica's band page to incorporate both styles. Some of us just hear more of the hard rock elements while others hear more of the heavy metal elements. No biggy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.11.2011 - 08:27
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.11.2011 at 05:21

The problem is the new crowd tries to redefine music whereas it's aleadu set in its sound and ways.

Well, I would have been considered a member of "the new crowd" both when the Black Album came out, and also "Load". As I was in my teens when both albums were released. Yet even back then, the difference in style between the two albums was immediate to me the first moment "Ain't My Bitch" kicked in on my cassette player. (showing my age again there! )

As I stated earlier, had the Black Album been "hard rock", then "Load" wouldn't have been such a huge shock to me when I first heard it. A young person today calling the Black Album hard rock, would be just like me claiming that "Stained Class" by Judas Priest is hard rock. Which compared to something like "Painkiller" or especially "Jugulator" could be seen as a legitimate claim. Yet it isn't, and I would rightly be called out on it if I said so.
11.12.2011 - 03:05
JÄY
Metal slave
After the first time I had sex, I drove to a park, recilned the seat and listened to this.
28.12.2011 - 17:04
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I dislike this album, it is basically a sellout album. anything past ...and justice for all is just garbage.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.12.2011 - 07:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.12.2011 at 17:04
I dislike this album, it is basically a sellout album. anything past ...and justice for all is just garbage.

You aren't elitist enough until you dislike everything prior to the black album too.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
31.12.2011 - 17:08
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2011 at 07:38

Written by Boxcar Willy on 28.12.2011 at 17:04

You aren't elitist enough until you dislike everything prior to the black album too.

I'm working my way up the totem pole... They've really pissed me of so I hardly listen to the at all. However I really like dyers eve
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.03.2012 - 19:51
Rating: 10
Pelagial

Another masterpiece from the band but it doesn't sound like before it's more heavy now
03.03.2012 - 17:50
Rating: 6
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
It was a challenge to listen to this album in its entirety again after all those years. I like only three songs on this album - Sad But True, Wherever I Roam, My Friend Of Misery. And listening to Metallica's ballads... is a pure torture for me. All in all... Not a bad album but a boring one.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
07.03.2012 - 04:32
jukebox1480

Im so sick of people using the word sellout. If you dont like the album,thats fine but just because its different from other albums doesnt mean they are sellouts.Not every band is like Godsmack and puts out the same album every other year.I am all for bands trying to be creative.Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont.Its like if a band becomes successful they are automatically sellouts,such bs. Every one of you would take the extra money too,lol.
07.03.2012 - 04:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by jukebox1480 on 07.03.2012 at 04:32

Im so sick of people using the word sellout. If you dont like the album,thats fine but just because its different from other albums doesnt mean they are sellouts.

The reason people call this album a sell out album is not because of the change but because the band said they wanted to reach a larger audience and therefore started writng a different kind of metal and hire Rock to produce it because he had produced Dr Feelgood by Motley Vrue and knew how to make an album appealing to the masses. They even let Rock meddle with the song writing to make it catchier and ffs even let that dickhead of a producer record the bass parts and co-write most of them as well.
A band saying they changed their sound to reach more people IS A SELL OUT BAND
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.05.2012 - 22:32
neiluria

The fifth album by Metallica, the fifth best album of metallica for me.
Despite the change in style, black album is very good.
04.06.2012 - 23:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 04:50

When did anyone in Metallica say that? I read loads of interviews with Metallica round about the time of the Black Album, and I never heard them saying that was the reason they changed their sound. James said after Justice they were tired of playing long songs, so deliberately made an album with shorter, more streamlined songs because of that. Maybe you're right, but I've certainly never heard or read anything where a member of Metallica has said they made the album that way to gain more popularity.
10.07.2012 - 02:49
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 04.06.2012 at 23:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.03.2012 at 04:50

When did anyone in Metallica say that? I read loads of interviews with Metallica round about the time of the Black Album, and I never heard them saying that was the reason they changed their sound.

What musician is going to say in an interview, "Yeah we have a new album coming out, we softened up our sound and abondoned our roots so it'll appeal to a much wider audience. That way we make more money. We all know hookers and blow are expensive!"
10.07.2012 - 07:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mattybu on 10.07.2012 at 02:49
What musician is going to say in an interview, "Yeah we have a new album coming out, we softened up our sound and abondoned our roots so it'll appeal to a much wider audience. That way we make more money. We all know hookers and blow are expensive!"

Dave Mustaine may have not used those exact words, but he has said he made the early-late 90's albums more commercial as a way of gaining more mainstream popularity.
10.07.2012 - 08:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Angelic Storm on 10.07.2012 at 07:10

Written by Mattybu on 10.07.2012 at 02:49

Dave Mustaine may have not used those exact words, but he has said he made the early-late 90's albums more commercial as a way of gaining more mainstream popularity.

And so did Metallica, they said they hired Bob Rock for the production because they loved what he had done with Motley Crue's album and that that would give them a much bigger uadience as well and also that's the reason they shortened the songs and toned their sound on Metallica down.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.07.2012 - 13:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.07.2012 at 08:27
And so did Metallica, they said they hired Bob Rock for the production because they loved what he had done with Motley Crue's album and that that would give them a much bigger uadience as well and also that's the reason they shortened the songs and toned their sound on Metallica down.

I can't say that they never said that, only that I personally have never read anything where a Metallica member has said they made the black album the way they did specifically to gain more popularity.
10.07.2012 - 13:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Well I have and more than once.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.07.2012 - 19:52
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
Overrated.
02.11.2012 - 17:19
HeavyReza

This is the best album that I ever heard
.:banger:
28.12.2012 - 00:02
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by HeavyReza on 02.11.2012 at 17:19

You must've heard some really shitty albums in your time.

No just kidding, but really it's not that great. How'd you rate this higher than Ride the Lightning? I mean, to each his own, but I can say that this definitely is not one of my top albums.
----
28.12.2012 - 00:06
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Definitely a solid release, at least not as bad as St. Anger, Reload, or anything else along those lines.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
28.12.2012 - 05:48
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Jaeryd on 28.12.2012 at 00:02

Written by HeavyReza on 02.11.2012 at 17:19

You must've heard some really shitty albums in your time.

No just kidding, but really it's not that great. How'd you rate this higher than Ride the Lightning? I mean, to each his own, but I can say that this definitely is not one of my top albums.

You like it or not like it, this is one of the great classics within the metal.
28.12.2012 - 06:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Vikcen on 28.12.2012 at 05:48

... this is one of the great classics within the metal.

mmmm, NO
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.12.2012 - 08:11
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 06:58

mmmm, NO

I'd call it a classic rock album.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.12.2012 - 09:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ace Frawley on 28.12.2012 at 08:11

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.12.2012 at 06:58

mmmm, NO

I'd call it a classic rock album.

it is a metal album no doubt about it but not a classic
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.03.2013 - 12:03
Rating: 5
Egigantea

Boring album, only liked two songs on here and it turns out one of them was actually stolen.
03.03.2013 - 12:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Egigantea on 03.03.2013 at 12:03

... and it turns out one of them was actually stolen.

and which one would that be?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.03.2013 - 07:18
Rating: 5
Egigantea

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2013 at 12:31

Written by Egigantea on 03.03.2013 at 12:03

... and it turns out one of them was actually stolen.

and which one would that be?

Enter Sandman

Hits total: 36190 | This month: 73