06. Subterfuge
07. Kill On Command
08. Phobophobia
09. Bodies On Bodies
10. I Profit
11. T.D.S. (Take It As You Will)
12. Parapalegic

Additional info
Reissued in 2005 by Megaforce with a bonus live CD recorded in 2001 at The Slim's.

Guest review by
Nosurper
Rating:
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the quintessential thrash album. If you thought that Kill 'em All was relentless, then you obviously haven't heard this adrenaline-pumping masterpiece yet. Not even the pure speed and intensity of Reign in Blood can touch the fury of Vio-lence's 1988 debut album Eternal Nightmare. Led by present Machine Head guitarists Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel, along with the unique vocal contributions of Sean Killian, Eternal Nightmare is an album that will live on in thrash circles forever.

Read more ››
published 28.03.2009 | Comments (35)

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 62   Visited by: 685 users
21.12.2009 - 07:25
Rating: 10
Martin_metal

This album shows what thrash-metal is all about! Period!!
21.12.2009 - 11:55
Baz Anderson

Yeh, pretty much. Great album.
21.12.2009 - 22:18
Hellish Star

Awesome stuff, one of the essential Bay Area classics
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
18.02.2010 - 17:31
elekctric

Too bad about Machine Head lol... Violence was great still have the demo even ....
18.02.2010 - 17:37
elekctric

Thanks btw now i gotta go get the two disc set
18.02.2010 - 18:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Meh, I wasn't impressed by "Eternal Nightmare" at all! After hearing so much about it, I only felt great disappointment when I finally heard it. It's definitely not in the same league as other underrated thrash gems like "Forbidden Evil", "Pleasures Of The Flesh" or "Time Does Not Heal".

I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I found it incredibly generic thrash.
02.05.2011 - 04:17
Rating: 8
Doom Trooper

This is one of the most underrated essential thrash albums. One of my favorites to say the least. I will say though that it is overly hyped by the underground fans. I can kind of see what Angelic Storm is saying but still, the riffs on this album just make you want to bang your head right off your neck.

..the riffs... the riffs..
03.05.2011 - 12:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
The best thing to do while listening to this album (other than drinking a beer or 4) is read along with the lyrics. Probably the only band other than King Diamond where I do this
04.05.2011 - 07:11
Void_Eater
Account deleted
One of my favorite thrash albums. Riff after riff after riff of thrashing perfection. I also quite like the vocals, which seem to turn many off. Obligatory mention of how this shits over Machine Head.
04.05.2011 - 08:12
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I have to admit I couldn't stand this album at first because of those vocals, but they eventually grew on me. Can't say I 'like' them though, I've heard much better.
15.09.2011 - 19:32
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.05.2011 at 07:11

Obligatory mention of how this shits over Machine Head.

QFT.
27.05.2012 - 23:16
Lit.
Account deleted
Honestly, I'll take Machine Head over this any day.
27.05.2012 - 23:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 27.05.2012 at 23:16

I absolutely would too. The first two MH albums, and the first Forbidden album (while Robb didn't perform on this one, 3 songs which he co-wrote are on it) are far, far, superior albums to this one.
27.05.2012 - 23:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The ultimate example of hideous, atrocious vocals ruining otherwise decent-ish music.
27.05.2012 - 23:24
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.05.2012 at 23:22

Written by Guest on 27.05.2012 at 23:16

I absolutely would too. The first two MH albums, and the first Forbidden album (while Robb didn't perform on this one, 3 songs which he co-wrote are on it) are far, far, superior albums to this one.

Amen, sister.
28.05.2012 - 00:27
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 27.05.2012 at 23:24
Amen, sister.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone here in the opinion that I'd much rather listen to MH than this album. lol
27.02.2013 - 03:11
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies on bodies......

Sorry this might be spam but I think its necessary.
27.02.2013 - 03:57
Lord_Regnier

Written by Guest on 27.05.2012 at 23:24

The ultimate example of hideous, atrocious vocals ruining otherwise decent-ish music.

Agreed about the vocals: they are atrocious. But I don't think the music is any good either.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
16.05.2013 - 01:47
Demonmayonnaise

This album kicks ass. The vocals aren't that bad, but I don't think they're really that good either.
07.03.2014 - 20:30
Rating: 7
pkillerjp

This is really good in certain parts, gets exhausting after a while though, has been over rated these days as well. The vocalist is just silly, but I've actually heard worse. All in all, I pretty decent stab at Bay Area thrash that came in a little late to the party. I'd prefer this over any Dark Angel release, other than possibly Darkness Descends.
02.06.2014 - 07:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by deadone on 02.06.2014 at 07:12

Very meh. The vocals are absolute shit and kill the music. The rest of it is ok but nothing mind blowing.

IMO Vio-lence were always one of the dregs of Thrash. And somehow given their lack of success, I suspect wider metaldom thought the same way.

Indeed I think if Robb Flynn hadn't started Machine Head, Vio-Lence would've been completely forgotten.

Agree 100%.

I actually think that their lack of mainstream success has a lot to do with why this album is so revered by so-called thrash "purists", who think lack of mainstream success alone is reason enough to give kudos to an album. When I first heard the album, I just felt extreme disappointment after hearing about how great it supposedly was. Take away the vocals (which are definitely an aqquired taste! lol), and all you're left with is incredibly generic, by-the-numbers thrash, which has absolutely nothing to distinguish it from the many ten-a-penny 2nd/3rd rate thrash acts which were flooding the scene at that time. There are some thrash albums which are incredibly underrated, and should have been much more successful than they were, but this album certainly isn't one of them.

And yep, I do think the fact that Robb Flynn had major mainstream success with MH artificially elevated the status of this album in the eyes of many who see mainstream success as the anti-thesis of "true metal".

And I could have also mentioned "Twisted Into Form" as another Forbidden album which is hugely superior to this one, but I just highlighted the debut, because it featured writing from Robb Flynn, as he used to be a member of that band (whilst they were still called Forbidden Evil).
06.07.2014 - 08:25
Rulatore

I thought that I'ld never read that someone prefer MH over this.

It's... madness.
06.07.2014 - 09:00
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Rulatore on 06.07.2014 at 08:25

It's... madness.

Sounds more like simple logic to me. This is a horrible album, and even Machine Head at their worse are better than this band.
06.07.2014 - 19:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I would easily take this album over anything Machine Head ever released. How anyone can think Supercharger is superior baffles my mind a little, but that's differing tastes for you.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.07.2014 - 01:34
Mattybu

Quite a stretch to call this album horrible. I mean, maybe by someone who had their lunch money stolen as a child by a big angry kid wearing an Eternal Nightmare t-shirt who just can't move on from the emotional trauma. It's solid thrash through, definitely better than Machine Head's works that I've heard.
08.07.2014 - 11:00
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by deadone on 07.07.2014 at 01:56

The vocals kill it, whilst the music is largely unmemorable. Basically it's typical third tier thrash of the day, albeit with shitful vocals. The singer would be perfect for that modern thrash abomination, Lost Society. MH is far better even though I only like their first two albums and the rest is at best "ok" and at worst "pretty shit".

You must not be a fan of guitar riffs.
07.11.2014 - 00:55
Sepulnation

IMO, it's an excellent album...
----
fuck shit up!
21.09.2015 - 20:53
Joppe
Steelemeister
Magnificent debut album, and IMO Vio-lence's best release as well. Few years ago I used to rate it 9, because the first song sounded underwhelming and the album seemed a bit too short. Well, now after few more listens and few years of reconsideration it's clear that this album is one of the best thrash albums ever released. Everything is great here, riffs, tbh I like all performances of the instruments here, powerful and unique vocals, lyrics and song themes fit perfectly to bands output. Best songs? "Serial Killer" and "Bodies On Bodies" for faster headbanging tracks, "Phobophobia" slower, but great song as well.
----
My vision is augmented
27.03.2016 - 01:32
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Rifftastic.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
11.07.2018 - 03:45
Maco
Pvt Funderground
It should be a crime not to love this album.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.

Hits total: 15001 | This month: 27