i sometimes buy clothes from there
i often buy clothes from there
i don't buy, but i'm ok with who does
i don't buy and i hate those stores

Total votes: 15
28.12.2009 - 13:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Controversial subject please respond honestly!

as for me, i'm off right now for some extra-low-cost shopping spree lol. mall clothes = overrated pieces of shit. and frankly, why waste so many clothes? they've been someone else's, sure, but do we have to just throw them away after that? i can understand with underwear since it might spread diseases even after washing them a few times, but the rest is all cool imo.
28.12.2009 - 13:55
Baz Anderson

Charity shops are good places to get cheap clothes for stuff... costumes or whatever.
And every once in a while you might stumble on something that actually is valuable and being sold for nothing at all.

I don't do clothes shopping, but charity shops are always fun to look in.
28.12.2009 - 17:03
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.12.2009 at 13:55

Charity shops are good places to get cheap clothes for stuff... costumes or whatever.
And every once in a while you might stumble on something that actually is valuable and being sold for nothing at all.

I don't do clothes shopping, but charity shops are always fun to look in.

hmm, i don't really see "charity" shops here, all second hand stores are commercial.. or that's how Britons call them?

anyway just got back with a cool belt with an iron cross buckle, 1 pair of marks and spencer jeans and another pair of jeans, i got them all for less than 7 euros..
28.12.2009 - 17:08
Baz Anderson

Written by Valentin B on 28.12.2009 at 17:03

hmm, i don't really see "charity" shops here, all second hand stores are commercial.. or that's how Britons call them?

anyway just got back with a cool belt with an iron cross buckle, 1 pair of marks and spencer jeans and another pair of jeans, i got them all for less than 7 euros..

Well, I'm sure we used to have second hand shops, but they just died out.
Charity shops are places where people just give away their unwanted clothes or DVDs or anything at all really... The shop sells them and the money goes to the charity.
28.12.2009 - 18:17
Ragana
Rawrcat
Here the prices for clothes at malls are reasonable. Of course, I like to think that I'm smart enough to not to buy things I won't need in the next hundred years or something that will end up in the garbage after one time of wearing. Sure, my closet is full of clothes that I've worn only once and yes, I really think I still have nothing to wear, but then again, I think what I buy and I wouldn't say I've wasted my money.

I think it's all about the quality. Since I'm not the person who would walk in the same jeans for two years, the quality of clothes may be quite low (I wouldn't say that the quality of clothes at some typical H&M is high, you know). For girls like me it's easier. I like changes and I like diversity. It's normal that I don't like clothes that I liked year ago and it really simplifies things because when I enter some store I think about what I will wear the next 2 or 3 months.

Anyway, if talking about second hand shops, I think I haven't been in one which actually would be a second hand shop because the one I thought about at first when I read this discussion was some store where the prices were quite high for a second hand shop - they were almost as high as in normal shops.

In the end, since I'm pleased with prices and all, I don't go to the second hand shops. However, I believe that people can find there something really interesting. Well, like, if there was a party where I had to look like a woman from 60s then I'd search for something like that in a second hand shop.
28.12.2009 - 20:25
Nexus
Asshat
I pretty much get all of my clothes from second hand shops (except for undergarments, of course. Yuck >.<) . I can't afford mall prices as, believe it or not, eating and having a roof over my head is a priority for me . Besides, a lot of the stuff you find in thrift shops are pretty cool -- and it's always fun tweaking them to your liking. The only thing I buy new are band shirts -- but even then I gotta buy shirts at thrift shops as band shirts never fit me, and I end up having to resize them. It's rare that I'll buy something at a shop unless I really, really like it and have extra cash on me.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
28.12.2009 - 21:31
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I prefer those "outlet stores"...you get quality new clothing, but still for fair price...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.01.2010 - 22:52
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Nexus on 28.12.2009 at 20:25

I pretty much get all of my clothes from second hand shops (except for undergarments, of course. Yuck >.<) .

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Except all my band shirts were bought new, of course. I really like getting clothes from places like these, because they are filled with so much clothes that NO ONE wears (anymore, I guess). I fucking hate name-brand clothing... I like to dress simple, but different from other people when I go out. :O
02.01.2010 - 23:25
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Ragana on 28.12.2009 at 18:17

Sure, my closet is full of clothes that I've worn only once and yes, I really think I still have nothing to wear.
Since I'm not the person who would walk in the same jeans for two years.
For girls like me it's easier. I like changes and I like diversity. It's normal that I don't like clothes that I liked year ago and it really simplifies things

Oh dear...
That's one of these fields I don't and will never ever understand women...

When I buy clothes I buy'em for practical reasons and wish them to last as many years as possible...
It's a pain when women buy clothes just for the sake of buying and when they get so fed up with clothes so easily which pushes'em to buy even more...
And when they go to travel/out/wherever... why is clothes such a topic... I mean... I wear jeans, shirt and a jersey and I'm ok... but no...women can make such a drama bout it... "AAA I'VE GOT NOTHING TO WEAR!" while there's more clothes in the wardrobe than I could probably ever wear during my lifetime... sometimes makes me wish to grab head and run out of the room....

Speaking of me... I like nice clothes I like which have a reasonable price so I don't care what store it is... I buy them where I know the price is affordable...

And well... I'd feel very uncomfortable wearing something that costs too much... and yes... I sort of dislike name-brands...
04.01.2010 - 23:29
SerratedSyringe

I can go either way. If I see a shirt that looks cool on it's own I'll buy it. If I see a shirt at the thift store that would be cool to cut up and modify without worrying about wasting money I'll do that too.
----
Just another cog in this infernal machine....
05.01.2010 - 00:19
tulkas
el parcero
The only thing I would buy from a second hand store would be a jacket, or probably some shoes, but nothing else. I don't know, I just have some issues about it... I just buy my clothes from regular clothes store which aren't that expensive and that I know I'll wear a lot and that will last for a long time.
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
05.01.2010 - 16:13
Ragana
Rawrcat
/offtopic/

Written by Ernis on 02.01.2010 at 23:25

That's one of these fields I don't and will never ever understand women...

That's because men, by the way, don't have anything but jeans and shirts. They don't really think of how are they looking by meeting a girl, weather simply can't affect their choice of clothes they're going to wear and they don't care whether it's wedding or a pub they're going to, but the best part is that no one actually cares about that. It would be bad if a woman showed up at the wedding dressed like she's going to watch her boyfriend playing football.
Different occasions means different kind of clothes. Different kind of clothes means that anyway you'll spend more money and you're not going to buy a dress for 300 euros just for one event, right? Dresses aren't long living and your sense of style may change so it's absolutely pointless to pay so much for something that will tear faster than you might hope. Wishing won't help.

I wear jeans, shirt and a jersey and I'm ok

So you would be okay if women wore only jeans and some shirt - no skirts, no dresses, no high heels or anything what would make them feel like women or at least make them feel like they look attractive to men?

hih, I got carried away a bit.
05.01.2010 - 17:26
Baz Anderson

Written by Ragana on 05.01.2010 at 16:13

So you would be okay if women wore only jeans and some shirt - no skirts, no dresses, no high heels or anything what would make them feel like women or at least make them feel like they look attractive to men?

Would you prefer if guys started wearing skirts, etc.?
What can a guy wear, which is also socially acceptable, to make themselves look good other than a nice shirt and trousers?
05.01.2010 - 18:58
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Baz Anderson on 05.01.2010 at 17:26

Written by Ragana on 05.01.2010 at 16:13

Would you prefer if guys started wearing skirts, etc.?
What can a guy wear, which is also socially acceptable, to make themselves look good other than a nice shirt and trousers?

That's not my point, haha.

Compare, please, how many different clothings are designed for women how many for men. Oh, and if every clothing that women wear, is acceptable at different kind of events. That's why women always will have more clothes than men do because there's so much more we can wear and it makes a difference if we go to a party dressed like we're going to walk a dog or like we're going to a club.

That's why it's so hard to choose what to wear or to take on a trip if we must decide between REAL comfort (and therefore un-attractiveness), beauty (sometimes without any comfort) or the weather (that is about to ruin heath or the clothes). And I think women always think about "what if..." situations when they're packing bags for some trip. In the end unused clothes are many but at least you know that if the circumstances were different, you could provide yourself with the appropriate clothing. I'm a living example for that (that is, how people shouldn't do). Recently I went to Romania thinking that it'll be warm there (winters in Romania are supposed to be a lot warmer than here in Latvia or at least that's what I thought) but I was SO wrong - the temperature which lowered till 17 degrees below zero assured me that no matter what, you have to be prepared for everything when you're going somewhere abroad. Well, in the end I got the flu for the second time this year because of my inappropriate clothing.
05.01.2010 - 20:51
Baz Anderson

Written by Ragana on 05.01.2010 at 18:58

That's not my point, haha.

Compare, please, how many different clothings are designed for women how many for men. Oh, and if every clothing that women wear, is acceptable at different kind of events. That's why women always will have more clothes than men do because there's so much more we can wear and it makes a difference if we go to a party dressed like we're going to walk a dog or like we're going to a club.

That's why it's so hard to choose what to wear or to take on a trip if we must decide between REAL comfort (and therefore un-attractiveness), beauty (sometimes without any comfort) or the weather (that is about to ruin heath or the clothes). And I think women always think about "what if..." situations when they're packing bags for some trip. In the end unused clothes are many but at least you know that if the circumstances were different, you could provide yourself with the appropriate clothing. I'm a living example for that (that is, how people shouldn't do). Recently I went to Romania thinking that it'll be warm there (winters in Romania are supposed to be a lot warmer than here in Latvia or at least that's what I thought) but I was SO wrong - the temperature which lowered till 17 degrees below zero assured me that no matter what, you have to be prepared for everything when you're going somewhere abroad. Well, in the end I got the flu for the second time this year because of my inappropriate clothing.

Haha, I understand what you are saying, but your assumption that all girls have to sacrifice looking good for comfort or warmth is not necessarily true. Of course it's nice to see a girl make some effort in a club or something - but there is a time and a place. I find girls attractive no matter what they are wearing if I like the look of them - clothes don't determine how much I like someone.

So these are the rules we live by, we can't change them now. You as an individual can choose to ignore them though. If I saw an attractive girl dressed in comfortable clothes in a club then that would make her stick out, but to me that would be in a good way. That tells me that she is happy within herself and that doesn't have to make an effort for other people. I'd like that a whole lot more than some poor girl suffering in stupid boots and a corset.

Basically, it isn't so black and white as you say. Yes, it is nice when a girl makes the effort on occasions... but if I am going to find a girl attractive - I will whatever she is wearing. Beauty cannot be hidden or faked.
05.01.2010 - 21:09
Ragana
Rawrcat
Of course, no. I just wanted you to see what I'm talking about. It's definitely not like I feel uncomfortable of what I wear but high heels sometimes may be very crafty... that is, I feel comfortable if I think I look good and I don't feel like breaking my neck because of the shoes or fainting because of ultra-tight clothing, you know.

I didn't mean it to turn it like that if the girl is dressed like a prom queen she'll be attractive and if not she'll be a loser who no one likes - no, not at all. I understand what you are saying and I agree. Well, I certainly won't fall for a guy who cares about his hair more than I do. I'm just saying that there are some unwritten rules how to dress on different occasions and for women it's not as easy as men might think.
05.01.2010 - 22:09
Baz Anderson

Yeh, well that can't be changed now.
It's a shame there isn't more to dress up in as a guy. I'd definitely be there if there was.
05.01.2010 - 22:16
Ragana
Rawrcat
...you can always be an elf.
05.01.2010 - 22:19
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Ragana on 05.01.2010 at 22:16

That may solve his problem... seeing as how elves are all girly-men. >:[
05.01.2010 - 22:38
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.01.2010 at 22:19

...at least they're kinda cute.
05.01.2010 - 22:40
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Ragana on 05.01.2010 at 22:38

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.01.2010 at 22:19

...at least they're kinda cute.

In a creepy kinda way... I suppose so. XP I think that guys who look like girls and girls who look like guys are sorta creepy...
05.01.2010 - 22:46
Ragana
Rawrcat
I didn't say they look like girls, so that has nothing to do with my thoughts about guys who look like girls and girls who look like guys.
05.01.2010 - 22:55
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Ragana on 05.01.2010 at 22:46

I didn't say they look like girls, so that has nothing to do with my thoughts about guys who look like girls and girls who look like guys.

.................. I don't think I even wanna know. D:
05.01.2010 - 22:56
Baz Anderson

Hahaha. A couple of people seem to think I look like Link from the Zelda series:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/images/photos/9/9113.jpg

I don't.

What do elves wear? If I could find something cool I'd definitely wear it.
05.01.2010 - 22:59
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Baz Anderson on 05.01.2010 at 22:56

Hahaha. A couple of people seem to think I look like Link from the Zelda series:

http://www.metalstorm.ee/images/photos/9/9113.jpg

I don't.

What do elves wear? If I could find something cool I'd definitely wear it.

Nah, man. Maybe if your hair was shorter, I'd think you look like Link. You have more of this druid look to ya.
05.01.2010 - 22:59
Baz Anderson

Yeh, that's great because I was going for druid-y. Shame that coat doesn't particularly keep me warm.
05.01.2010 - 23:02
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Baz Anderson on 05.01.2010 at 22:59

Yeh, that's great because I was going for druid-y. Shame that coat doesn't particularly keep me warm.

That just means that you can rock the coat during warmer seasons... When nature is more green. It'll help with the druid look during spring time.
03.07.2022 - 01:07
Joppe
Steelemeister
Generally I prefer to buy some used cloths instead of new ones, at least then I won't be directly supporting the "made in china" situation. I wish there were more locally made products when it comes to clothing. So, ya, quite often.
----
My vision is augmented