02. Patterns In The Ivy II

[Legacy Edition bonus DVD]
+ 5.0 Audio Mix Of The Original Album
+ The Making Of Blackwater Park

Top 20 albums of 2001: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 5
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Fredman Studios from August to October 2000.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt
Co-produced by Steven Wilson
Engineered by Fredrik Nordström & Steven Wilson.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Fredrik Norström while overlooked by Opeth.
Mastered by Göran Finnberg at the Mastering Room.
Photos by Harry Välimäki.
Cover and booklet designed by Travis Smith and Opeth.

"The Leper Affinity [live]" recorded by Brent Carpenter & Pontus Norgren and mixed by Pontus Norgren.
The 5.0 mix on the DVD was done by Jens Borgen for Northern Music Company.
The documentary "The Making Of Blackwater Park" was recorded, directed and edited by Fredrik Odefjard.

Guest review by
Rupophobic
Rating:
Passion. That's what Blackwater Park is all about. Pure, unadulterated passion. Forget that Opeth display musical ability and know-how that is rivaled by few. Forget that the ending to The Leper Affinity goes from what can only be described as one of the greatest jam sessions ever, to a beautiful, yet melancholic pianistic epilogue. Forget that Harvest is one of the greatest acoustic songs ever written. Forget that Blackwater Park contains the perfect metal riff. Forget that Mikael Akerfeld quite possibly has the best voice in all of music. Forget that every moment of this album will make you stand in awe of what you're hearing. Why should you forget all that? Because none of it matters.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (162)

Guest review by
Storchillarn
Rating:
There are few bands that dare to continuously expand their musical sphere with each release, expecting their fans to accept the changes - even fewer succeed. Mikael Åkerfeldt, song writer and front man of Opeth, has pushed Opeth to do so since the band's inception and perhaps it's this constant change, not giving the audience a chance to adjust to one particular niche, which keeps them from ending up like so many metal bands before them: repetitive and uninspired. 2001 was the year Opeth opened the floodgates of creativity and released what many believe to be their magnum opus, an album so hyped you might doubt its brilliance. I'm here to tell you not to doubt. This is Blackwater Park.

Read more ››
published 19.06.2010 | Comments (15)

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
This charade has gone on long enough. It's time someone gave this crappy album an honest assessment.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2018 | Comments (42)

It's hard to believe that human civilization peaked on March 12, 2001, but we of Metal Storm are well aware of the fact that Opeth's Blackwater Park is the single most important and amazing work of art ever to grace our unworthy human senses - and today this pillar of sonic achievement turns 20 years old.

Now, iconic reviews aside, I don't actually believe that Blackwater Park is the greatest album ever released - in fact, it's not even my favorite Opeth album - but there's no denying that it is a milestone in its genre, easily one of the definitive recordings of progressive metal. It ranks among the most significant and influential works in its sphere, standing tall even within Opeth's discography; with a career practically founded on the production of successive magna opera, Opeth will likely never have a single, incontrovertible outlier to be crowned their best, but Blackwater Park does have something like a mythology surrounding it. Maybe you don't have to treat it like the apex of heavy metal, but it's still a damn good progressive death metal record that we can all enjoy, and what more reason do you need to give it a spin?

ScreamingSteelUS's picks | More picks ››

Found in 235 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 8

Comments: 236   Visited by: 4755 users
03.02.2013 - 23:02
Rating: 9
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Probably the most overrated album on MS. Bores me pretty thoroughly about half-way through, I'd give it around a 6 or 7. Morningrise is 20 times better.
03.02.2013 - 23:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
IMO all Opeth is boring.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.02.2013 - 01:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 03.02.2013 at 23:02

Probably the most overrated album on MS. Bores me pretty thoroughly about half-way through, I'd give it around a 6 or 7. Morningrise is 20 times better.

Well, my rating for this one is high but I do agree that Morningrise is better than this one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
04.02.2013 - 01:35
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.02.2013 at 01:24

Well, my rating for this one is high but I do agree that Morningrise is better than this one.

Wait.... why... I'm confused. Give Morningrise a higher rating, I demand it.
04.02.2013 - 01:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Alex F on 04.02.2013 at 01:35

Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.02.2013 at 01:24

Wait.... why... I'm confused. Give Morningrise a higher rating, I demand it.

That's why I hate the fact that we don't have 0.5 ratings or even better: 0,25 ratings. I would give this one 8,5 or 8,75... While Morningrise and Still Life are probably at 9,25.
I had this album with an 8 previously though... I'm still unsure whether I should change it or not.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.03.2013 - 02:12
quisableed
Account deleted
Damn, I just can't stop listening this. Opeth's music is unique. If i would worship somebody or something. That would be Mikael Åkerfeldt.
28.04.2013 - 22:15
Rating: 6
Rsrdaman

Don't like this album much at all. Death vocals are not very good, and guitars are very flat sounding. See nothing remarkable about this album.

EDIT: Going to leave this as a 1 for now. I cant believe this is rated as the #1 album on Metal Storm. Its has a few songs with good points but really? Things like The Drapery Falls with long repetitive droning intros get boring very fast. Overall the songs have little diversity, and have way to much filler. When the average song is 10+ minutes on an album, it gets to a point where all interest is lost in the song, and you are waiting for a break from monotony. Maybe the first time it is unique, but am I going to spend 3 hours to listen to one damn album, full of filler? Fuck no.

9/10 For the effort, great experimental album.
5/10 For lack of originality, to much over-used droning.

Edit: Fuck what I said, Opeth is pretty damn good.
29.04.2013 - 19:49
Lião
Account deleted
Written by Rsrdaman on 28.04.2013 at 22:15

Don't like this album much at all. Death vocals are not very good, and guitars are very flat sounding. See nothing remarkable about this album.

Same as me.
29.04.2013 - 20:52
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

Really? Interesting... whose death vocals are good to you I wonder. I have always thought that Akerfeldt has some of the best growls. As far as guitar, I just disagree. I think the tone is quite balanced. I mean it's no Symphony X, but for their style quite good.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.05.2013 - 23:09
Rating: 6
Rsrdaman

Written by K✞ulu on 29.04.2013 at 20:52

Really? Interesting... whose death vocals are good to you I wonder. I have always thought that Akerfeldt has some of the best growls. As far as guitar, I just disagree. I think the tone is quite balanced. I mean it's no Symphony X, but for their style quite good.

I enjoy Death vocals from bands like Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Death, Behemoth, CoB, Etc.. I like when the vocals are harsh and feel like they're ripping your face off. Opeth is just to slow and ballad-y for me, I guess. Opeth's growls are just too slow and monotonous. I can appreciate that they try very hard, I can tell they put a lot of work into it, but it just doesn't appeal to me.
09.05.2013 - 04:17
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Rsrdaman on 08.05.2013 at 23:09

I can appreciate that they try very hard, I can tell they put a lot of work into it, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

This is essentially how I feel about this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.05.2013 - 02:27
quisableed
Account deleted
One of the criticisms is made ​​about the akerfeldt's vocal. Be careful guys, noone wants to burn in hell
05.07.2013 - 00:12
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Overrated.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.07.2013 - 01:33
Mattybu

Written by Maco on 05.07.2013 at 00:12

Overrated.

I agree bro I'll take my passion impure and adulterated long as it ain't boring
21.07.2013 - 03:03
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Quote:
I agree bro I'll take my passion impure and adulterated long as it ain't boring

If I want pure and unadulterated passion, I would listen Morningrise.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
24.08.2013 - 05:43
Rating: 10
phanto

The best Opeth album, closely followed by Deliverance and the first couple of albums. Few death metal songs create goosebumps like the title track.
28.08.2013 - 15:46
Rating: 7
Lethrokai

It's an alright album. Wouldn't call it anything special though...
I definitely prefer Ghost Reveries.
----
Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and look away.
02.11.2013 - 23:39
mz

I just now see that someone called this album "droning" and unoriginal. what's wrong with people these days. And, although I know that it's up to personal opinions, how could someone bash MA's growls and at the same time praise vocals of Amon Amarth, Death and CoB at the same time is beyond me
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
25.11.2013 - 12:23
yash2829

Very Addictive Album. This was my first opeth album. And i wont lie, i took some time to get along with it. But eventually it stuck so well in my brain, i couldn't stop humming to every song of this album. Great vocals by mikeal akerfeldt, Sometimes astonishingly beautiful and other time brutal growls, Catchy riffs. And most importantly Dark but beautiful atmospheric music.:banger:
12.12.2013 - 13:42
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
It is finally topping the MetalStorm Top 200 charts!!
12.01.2014 - 00:38
Paw.Mnggaran
Account deleted
For me. This is the best metal album of all time. still number 1 after sad wings of destiny by judas priest.
15.02.2014 - 18:10
NorthernDickhead

Good but not awesome. More clean vocals I would say.
17.02.2014 - 09:11
NorthernDickhead

Written by deadone on 17.02.2014 at 00:38

I think the clean-harsh ratio is fine. Akerfeldt has got a great growl.

I like his growls too,but I think clean vocals would be better at some point than growls in this album.
23.02.2014 - 01:36
Eccer

This whole album is like a dream. And when that final outro hits you.....it's like a year long grip, that finally releases. All the tension, emotions that carried darkness and disgust. A lamentation in the perspective of our world. Truth, that will forever echo in the name of this album.

The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park \m/
23.02.2014 - 21:46
Michaelgpc

Stonewall classic. Opeth at its best, highly original, brilliantly executed. I'm no fan of where Akerfeld has taken the band since, but no matter, this album is a wonderful work of art.
27.02.2014 - 21:11
EtaArgus

Even tho I am a big fan of Porcupine Tree, I don't like the touch of Steven Wilson on this album.
So, I just give it a 9 (yes, is an Opeth album, fucking awesome anyway).

I just can't get tired of Dirge for November, so fucking depressing!
22.03.2014 - 10:37
Rating: 8
Dr. Strawberry

Probably the No.1 OVERRATED album in the past decade.
(just because there're tons of unmatched small pieces/ musical compositions in every song so listeners find this album is worth-buying).
As if eating super combo set dinner - sour salmon + hot beef steak + sweet chicken wings + bitter lamb chop on one plate. Yuck !
22.03.2014 - 11:13
mz

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 22.03.2014 at 10:37

Probably the No.1 OVERRATED album in the past decade.
(just because there're tons of unmatched small pieces/ musical compositions in every song so listeners find this album is worth-buying).
As if eating super combo set dinner - sour salmon + hot beef steak + sweet chicken wings + bitter lamb chop on one plate. Yuck !

People playing with the "overrated" card again. It's ok if you don't like this, but do not assume that everyone enjoying this album is blinded "just because there're tons of unmatched small pieces/ musical compositions in every song ". Also, BWP is a highly influential album by a highly original band and this makes it far from being "overrated".
----
22.03.2014 - 11:55
Rating: 8
Dr. Strawberry

Quote:
Quote:

...BWP is a highly influential album by a highly original band and this makes it far from being "overrated".

This could be the first Death Progressive Metal album released by Sony - Zomba in the 90's.
Sony pumped in a lot of money to "Create" the popularity for this album and the band. Thats the sheep effect.
What a "Lucky" band !
22.03.2014 - 22:57
mz

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 22.03.2014 at 11:55

This could be the first Death Progressive Metal album released by Sony - Zomba in the 90's.
Sony pumped in a lot of money to "Create" the popularity for this album and the band. Thats the sheep effect.
What a "Lucky" band !

Sorry I don't get what you mean.
----

Hits total: 142285 | This month: 205